Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

SpelledBackwards posted:

Seems like a perfectly logical line of reaso

This is why I can't read this thread on a regular basis. Until KG's mindset is in the right place I can't offer anything of use to the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aagar
Mar 30, 2006

E/N Gestapo
I am talking to a mod right now about getting you probated/banned/gassed

Devian666 posted:

This is why I can't read this thread on a regular basis. Until KG's mindset is in the right place I can't offer anything of use to the thread.

Ditto. Way back I said "stick to a budget for three months and we'll talk," and I'm still waiting. I'm glad he finally posted realizing that the advice given over the past weeks/months/years was in line with his stated goals, which he now realizes (again) he can't achieve unless he starts sacrificing.

Something that did strike me in regards to therapy: KG, if this communication breakdown with KGWife is recent, it's perfectly normal. As the months wore on my wife and I found out exactly how hard it is to function as a team when the team gets a few hours of broken sleep/night. I'm not saying that therapy isn't a good option - it probably is. The twins put the greatest strain on our relationship to date, and I know some couples that broke up after kids because their relationship wasn't as strong as they thought it was.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Devian666 posted:

I feel like all I can offer now is making sure KG goes through CBT, and then every once in a while pop in like a loving parrot and sweek "Squaaaak KG stick to your budget squaaaak". He doesn't get he's sitting at a D+ for his grade, meaning yeah I can't say he didn't budget or follow some advice and should move on to the next grade, but you got a loving D+ dude.

D+

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Woohoo a passing grade! Ds get degrees, right?

Bugamol 3.5% that's pretty good psh PMI is only a couple hundo a month anyway that's chump change.

I scheduled a family therapy session with my mom for tomorrow after work. MFT instead of PHD but he's highly rated. Frankly if I can get my mom to get her poo poo straight that'll really help me. I have a feeling he'll be referring her to a psychiatrist. The guy also lists CBT as a skill of his so I'll talk about that as well.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Yeehaw for awesome benefits :mad:

Why the gently caress have 3 paychecks been different on disability. Net $0 net $400 net $150.

ufsteph
Jul 3, 2007

Knyteguy posted:

Yeehaw for awesome benefits :mad:

Hmm, I guess BFC should have told you to research how much you would get for disability payments! Oh wait...

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

ufsteph posted:

Hmm, I guess BFC should have told you to research how much you would get for disability payments! Oh wait...

We did and it doesn't explain the inconsistency?

ufsteph
Jul 3, 2007

Call the HR/ payroll department? There is probably a set HSA amount deducted every month, and if paycheck is less than that amount, all goes to HSA.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

ufsteph posted:

Call the HR/ payroll department? There is probably a set HSA amount deducted every month, and if paycheck is less than that amount, all goes to HSA.

She did two weeks ago. They handed her off to different people before someone finally said it's right, and the person still couldn't explain the inconsistencies.

Yes it all went to deductions this paycheck but it doesn't explain why she only got paid for 21 units (hours) @ 80 or 60% or whatever. It should be 74 hours per pay period minimum, which is what the last paycheck was. I'm happy we can at least accurately estimate her income again going forward now.

I'll ask if she'll call again maybe they can give her a better answer this time.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Knyteguy posted:

She did two weeks ago. They handed her off to different people before someone finally said it's right, and the person still couldn't explain the inconsistencies.

Yes it all went to deductions this paycheck but it doesn't explain why she only got paid for 21 units (hours) @ 80 or 60% or whatever. It should be 74 hours per pay period minimum, which is what the last paycheck was. I'm happy we can at least accurately estimate her income again going forward now.

I'll ask if she'll call again maybe they can give her a better answer this time.

A large company will outsource their LOA benefits to another company, who deals with what plan you had, how many hours to pay ect ect. It sounds like they went over the file and said yes it loaded correctly. You need to tell them specifically that they need to contact whoever their LOA benefits payment company is and receive a calculation from them on how they did your LOA.

Though it's hard to tell what's going on because I can't see all 3 checks.

ufsteph
Jul 3, 2007

Don't they have a max number of hours that they pay out? How many total are you at?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Thanks guys. I'm not entirely sure on that answer right now steph, but she may. We'll go over it after she gets off work. She has tomorrow off so she can call if necessary, too.

Veskit should I post all three paychecks?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Wouldn't hurt!

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
All three in order of reception for reference:

Also our HSA contribution seems low but I'm not sure if that's due to disability or not. We set it to $5,000/yr.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
Looks like it capped at 140 hours (35/week?).

First paycheck is probably slightly off because of when she ended work, the wait time, etc. Second is full amount, Third hits the monthly cap.

Edit: These are my guesses anyways, hard to know without date ranges on them, and knowing when she left work, when disability kicked in, etc.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
In addition to harassing HR, you may consider changing tax withholding. I think she should withhold a bit more, no? 10%ish fed isn't enough with your combined income.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Knyteguy posted:

All three in order of reception for reference:

Also our HSA contribution seems low but I'm not sure if that's due to disability or not. We set it to $5,000/yr.

200*26 is 5200 bucks so i dunno how that's too low.

MrEnigma posted:

Looks like it capped at 140 hours (35/week?).

First paycheck is probably slightly off because of when she ended work, the wait time, etc. Second is full amount, Third hits the monthly cap.

Edit: These are my guesses anyways, hard to know without date ranges on them, and knowing when she left work, when disability kicked in, etc.

Yeah that seems right I'd guess that too

Zanthia
Dec 2, 2014

Knyteguy posted:

Cancelled the golf part of the bachelor party.

Throughout the entire thread I've been wondering why you guys have been so hard on me when sites like this: http://www.learnvest.com/knowledge-center/your-ultimate-budget-guideline-the-502030-rule/ advocate 30% of your money as spending money or something. In fact I was going to post that as an argument to you guys of why I'm completely reasonable here.

However in the midst of writing that post up I realized that you guys are being hard on me because of my stated financial goals. I've never said that my goal was to save 20% of our income and retire at 65. You guys are just trying to help me meet what I loving said I want to do. Sorry everyone. I'll try to listen more to the input here instead of arguing so much.

The decisions you make now will set an example for your son. I read this a while back and it stuck with me: https://unclutterer.com/2009/07/15/a-familys-decision-to-say-yes-to-what-matters-most-to-them/

I like the idea of introducing kids early to choosing between what they want to do. Your kid won't be able to do everything he wants to do. You don't get to, either. If you keep trying to do everything, then your son will grow up with your same mindset.

It gets easier to not keep up with the Joneses after you break the habit. Just like it gets easier to not eat out all the time. You focus on whatever you want more than that and take it one day at a time.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Veskit posted:

200*26 is 5200 bucks so i dunno how that's too low.

Yeah that seems right I'd guess that too
200/pp is their premium, not contribution.

Zanthia posted:

The decisions you make now will set an example for your son. I read this a while back and it stuck with me: https://unclutterer.com/2009/07/15/a-familys-decision-to-say-yes-to-what-matters-most-to-them/

I like the idea of introducing kids early to choosing between what they want to do. Your kid won't be able to do everything he wants to do. You don't get to, either. If you keep trying to do everything, then your son will grow up with your same mindset.

It gets easier to not keep up with the Joneses after you break the habit. Just like it gets easier to not eat out all the time. You focus on whatever you want more than that and take it one day at a time.
I couldn't agree more with you. I think I've mostly grown out of the do-all habits my folks instilled throughout my 20's, but talking to my 21yo sister is aggravating sometimes/often because she is trying to keep up with the jones so drat hard.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

SiGmA_X posted:

200/pp is their premium, not contribution.

Wait what a peoplesoft generated PDF file is loving super confusing why i never it's definitely not my entire job nope. Why the gently caress is the plan called the HSA and your contributions are called the HSA :psyduck:

In that case yes that seems extremely low you should call the benefits team asap.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Knyteguy posted:

Car payments since November

That's $1,100 in interest just right there.

I know this is from a few pages ago, but man. Interest: Not even once.

This is like 2/3 the interest I pay on my mortgage at ~1/5th the balance.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Man that is a ton of interest. Is the interest on car loans "front loaded" like on a mortgage? I've only had one (small) car loan and it was years ago so I have no idea.

DogsCantBudget
Jul 8, 2013

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Man that is a ton of interest. Is the interest on car loans "front loaded" like on a mortgage? I've only had one (small) car loan and it was years ago so I have no idea.

Yes they are. Same exact way as a mortgage.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Ok I figured out all the tomfoolery with my wife's paycheck: she took 7 weeks not 6 as planned. Her PTO was supposed to cover 1 week, and it did (the first week). She probably ran out of benefits as mentioned. Veskit Peoplesoft :arghfist:

Yes the interest on the car is bad. It's not amortized though it's simple interest. I really would like to start putting money towards that debt. So much in fact that I decided that I'm going to hold off on that second car for now. We'll continue saving, and when we hit our emergency fund goal then we'll start to put money towards debt as planned. Good points have been made that I can just loving walk or bike to and from work it's only 3 miles and it'll make me healthier anyway. I'm going to pick up a pair of walking sneakers at Costco for $20 or something so I don't have to walk in my work shoes. I'm concerned about having the baby here with no vehicle, but worst comes to worst an ambulance ride is still cheaper than a car (just trying to be realistic). My plan is to stay at my job for my May review, and if it sucks then I'll give it one more year before moving on, so no car necessary there. I like my job even if I am underpaid now.

Sig we'll be OK on taxes with her paycheck it's mostly mine we gotta worry about.

Edit and I realize I keep going back and forth on a million so just cut me some slack right now please. I'll work on my thought process when it comes to goals and stop thinking about wants so much.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Apr 9, 2015

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Knyteguy posted:

I really would like to start putting money towards that debt.
Have you read the fine print of the loan to see if it's okay to make extra payments towards the principle? With how much interest they are nailing you for, just making an extra payment or two per year could be a solid option. It would certainly be easier to do than trying to save up a balloon payment or something.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Yea dude, bike to work. It's 3 miles, that should take you like 10 minutes or some poo poo and while I don't know much about Reno, I can't imagine there is a better time of year to be biking to work than right now weather-wise. Even in hot rear end summer you should be able to do 3 miles without sweating too bad.

I wish I could bike to work, but I live about 10 hilly miles away, the roads aren't bike friendly, and my wife and I already carpool to work (same employer) so it makes no sense for me.

I think we will all applaud you for putting the second car thoughts off the table right now.

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008

Knyteguy posted:

Ok I figured out all the tomfoolery with my wife's paycheck: she took 7 weeks not 6 as planned. Her PTO was supposed to cover 1 week, and it did (the first week). She probably ran out of benefits as mentioned. Veskit Peoplesoft :arghfist:

Yes the interest on the car is bad. It's not amortized though it's simple interest. I really would like to start putting money towards that debt. So much in fact that I decided that I'm going to hold off on that second car for now. We'll continue saving, and when we hit our emergency fund goal then we'll start to put money towards debt as planned. Good points have been made that I can just loving walk or bike to and from work it's only 3 miles and it'll make me healthier anyway. I'm going to pick up a pair of walking sneakers at Costco for $20 or something so I don't have to walk in my work shoes. I'm concerned about having the baby here with no vehicle, but worst comes to worst an ambulance ride is still cheaper than a car (just trying to be realistic). My plan is to stay at my job for my May review, and if it sucks then I'll give it one more year before moving on, so no car necessary there. I like my job even if I am underpaid now.

Sig we'll be OK on taxes with her paycheck it's mostly mine we gotta worry about.

Edit and I realize I keep going back and forth on a million so just cut me some slack right now please. I'll work on my thought process when it comes to goals and stop thinking about wants so much.

Do not, NOT, NOTTTTTTT do the "no car with baby". Ambulance rides are way more expensive and add up as opposed to keeping your car(or selling it and buying something cheap).

lord1234 fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 9, 2015

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

lord1234 posted:

Do not, NOT, NOTTTTTTT do the "no car with baby". Ambulance rides are way more expensive and add up as opposed to keeping your car(or selling it and buying something cheap).

He could probably take a taxi if his baby is sick. If it's so urgent that calling and waiting for a taxi is not fast enough, you should probably call the ambulance anyway.

OneWhoKnows
Dec 6, 2006
I choo choo choooose you!

lord1234 posted:

He's talking about a second car, which they do not have right now. Costs will depend on their insurance.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

lord1234 posted:

Well, he would most likely be taking public transportation and cabs over calling an ambulance for an ear infection, but I agree that selling would create more problems than it would solve.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

Knyteguy posted:

My plan is to stay at my job for my May review, and if it sucks then I'll give it one more year before moving on, so no car necessary there. I like my job even if I am underpaid now.

I'm not saying you need to job-hop or definitely leave, but you admit you are underpaid but are mentally committing to this job for another year+, and I think you might want to reconsider that.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Knyteguy posted:

My plan is to stay at my job for my May review, and if it sucks then I'll give it one more year before moving on, so no car necessary there. I like my job even if I am underpaid now.
Can you elaborate a bit here - are you saying you're planning on buying another car in the next year so getting a different job would be possible then?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Yea guys I mean me having no car at home sometimes, not us having no car. I wish we could get by without even one car, but that's not practical where we live. And yea good call on the taxi that's my plan if I need to go somewhere for work too (very rare).

ObsidianBeast posted:

I'm not saying you need to job-hop or definitely leave, but you admit you are underpaid but are mentally committing to this job for another year+, and I think you might want to reconsider that.

I don't think I'm drastically underpaid or something. However to think more along future lines I'm learning pretty valuable skills here (ERP development and operations management) so my earning potential will go up with that, too. I dunno a lot has changed since last year so this review should say a little more about how the future will look.

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Can you elaborate a bit here - are you saying you're planning on buying another car in the next year so getting a different job would be possible then?

Just thinking of giving my current job 13 more months. The work environment here is pretty relaxed most of the time and that's a big plus for me. More income won't help anyway right? Unless we take care of the bad with money habits.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Knyteguy posted:

More income won't help anyway right? Unless we take care of the bad with money habits.

:eyepop: Well, I mean yes you need to take care of the money habits but it certainly wouldn't hurt to give you some wiggle room!

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Has there been an official April budget yet?

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Knyteguy posted:

Just thinking of giving my current job 13 more months. The work environment here is pretty relaxed most of the time and that's a big plus for me. More income won't help anyway right? Unless we take care of the bad with money habits.
If you kept your current spending levels, moving from 65k --> 75k would make a ginormous improvement. After taxes, that is a $600/mo bump (back of the envelope) which could be used to chisel away at that stupid car debt or any number of other good things.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Yeah, you are way too attached to your crappy job.

When the things you are cutting back on are meals out with family every 2 weeks and a round of golf for a bachelor party, an extra 10 grand a year would be pretty significant. Also, how laid back can it possibly be when you have complained about working 12-14 hour days in the past?

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
Please do not take this to mean the thread is telling you to quit your job tomorrow and buy a new car to drive to the one across town.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Inverse Icarus posted:

Please do not take this to mean the thread is telling you to quit your job tomorrow and buy a new car to drive to the one across town.

But... but I already had my car picked out and everything.

Droo it's pretty rare I work a shift like that though. 99% of the time I'm out at 5:00pm.

I guess the main thing I like is I have a ginormous office and desk to myself and really all the freedom I could want. And once every 3-5 weeks my boss goes to his day job down in Texas so I get the whole building to myself for a week. And a remote day every Thursday. And trust that I can handle projects with little-to-no oversight.

I don't think that's worth $600 net of course. As an alternative I've been contemplating picking up a remote only 20 hrs/wk development job to do after work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Knyteguy posted:

But... but I already had my car picked out and everything.

Droo it's pretty rare I work a shift like that though. 99% of the time I'm out at 5:00pm.

I guess the main thing I like is I have a ginormous office and desk to myself and really all the freedom I could want. And once every 3-5 weeks my boss goes to his day job down in Texas so I get the whole building to myself for a week. And a remote day every Thursday. And trust that I can handle projects with little-to-no oversight.

I don't think that's worth $600 net of course. As an alternative I've been contemplating picking up a remote only 20 hrs/wk development job to do after work.

You know you can apply for jobs and then ask about their perks in the interviews and then decide if it's worth switching. It really doesn't hurt to apply. Like it takes 20 minutes per application if your resume/cover letter are up to date.

• Locked thread