Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BobbyDrake
Mar 13, 2005

Preordered the 38mm space grey sport at 6:40am EST... Set for a June delivery. blerg.

Edit:

At least that gives the Click Kickstarter I backed time to get the watch band adapters to me time to finalize the design.

BobbyDrake fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Woke up randomly at 3:20 central time and ordered a 42mm sport in space grey with the black band. June shipping estimate. Not surprised but a tad disappointed on the shipping front. I had such an easy time ordering my iPhone 6 on preorder day that I didn't think they would go so fast. Oh well, now I have a while to figure out what other band(s) I want.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

I just got back from the Apple Store down the block from my job. I was able to set up a reservation and try one on within like 5 minutes.

I tried the black 42mm sport model. The rubber feels really smooth and, just, "nice." The way the band locks is a bit awkward but it felt sturdy on my wrist. The actual device itself is rather bulky and I could see it getting snagged if you had to reach deep inside a tight pocket in your jeans or jacket or something.

The most impressive thing I experienced with my ~10min of playing around with it was the "Taptic" feedback. Super super subtle vibration on your wrist that absolutely no one else will notice (unless they see your watch light up, of course). While that aspect is really well done, I can see it being very annoying if I'm getting rapid fire texts, emails, tweet mentions, etc. I'm already annoyed when my phone constantly pings me, and it's not even attached to me.

The watch they let you try on has no functionality other than a demo screen and some random notifications to demonstrate the feedback. To interact with one, you use a model that's connected to this little hunk of plastic with an embedded iPad mini in it or something. I gather this is so it can pull weather and stock data to demonstrate. This, by the way, took forever (at least in the sense of trying to get a feel for the watch within 10min, mind you). The weather and stocks "glances" just displayed a loading icon for several seconds (6?) and I didn't even bother letting them load before swiping to something else. You could easily pull your phone out and drop down the Notification Center with a weather app more quickly than this thing was loading. Pretty disappointing.

The Digital Crown was much nicer than I anticipated, as well. Scrolls very very smoothly and naturally. I originally thought it was going to be choppy and more stiff. I did have to keep reminding myself to use it just because I'm so accustomed to scrolling by swiping my phone on a screen. I don't really see a problem with using your finger for quick swipes as opposed to the Crown but if you were reading an e-mail you'd want to gradually scroll with it.

I also asked about preorders and availability in store. I was told that you can preorder in the store and they ship to your house. There didn't seem to be an option to order one and have it shipped to the store. They said "eventually" you'll be able to walk in to a store and buy one if they have it in stock, though.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

ShoogaSlim posted:

This, by the way, took forever (at least in the sense of trying to get a feel for the watch within 10min, mind you). The weather and stocks "glances" just displayed a loading icon for several seconds (6?) and I didn't even bother letting them load before swiping to something else.

This time will decrease in areas with less Bluetooth spectrum crowding, and the Apple Store is absolutely overflowing with it.

Jove
Jun 18, 2004

He doesn't come to us...we go to him...BOW DOWN, SLAVE.
I am a lemming and ordered a 38mm SS Space Black at precisely 3:10 am ET.

June shipping date. :negative:

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

They "42mm Stainless Steel Case with Black Classic Buckle" seems to be the least popular as it is the only watch I've found that still lists an April shipping date. Probably because it uses that sad Mickey Mouse watchface for all its ad. Vintage Disney is creepy and just reminds people of embroidered denim theme park jackets at this point

Just an FYI in case you dont want to be known has having the least-desirable Apple Watch.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

shadow puppet of a posted:

They "42mm Stainless Steel Case with Black Classic Buckle" seems to be the least popular as it is the only watch I've found that still lists an April shipping date. Probably because it uses that sad Mickey Mouse watchface for all its ad. Vintage Disney is creepy and just reminds people of embroidered denim theme park jackets at this point

Just an FYI in case you dont want to be known has having the least-desirable Apple Watch.

Could also just be the model the misgauged demand for the most.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Yeah, that is about the most "watch" like combination of pieces, so I'm guessing they stocked extra of it.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Well I'm not retracting my stance on embroidered denim jackets but it appears you two are right. Now the only April 24 ship date watch left is the 38mm steel with classic black band.

The mickey watch has pushed shipments to June.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Do they charge you right away or when it ships? I won't have money for one at least until next month, just thinking maybe I should put an order in.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

ShoogaSlim posted:

I just got back from the Apple Store down the block from my job. I was able to set up a reservation and try one on within like 5 minutes.

I tried the black 42mm sport model. The rubber feels really smooth and, just, "nice." The way the band locks is a bit awkward but it felt sturdy on my wrist. The actual device itself is rather bulky and I could see it getting snagged if you had to reach deep inside a tight pocket in your jeans or jacket or something.

The most impressive thing I experienced with my ~10min of playing around with it was the "Taptic" feedback. Super super subtle vibration on your wrist that absolutely no one else will notice (unless they see your watch light up, of course). While that aspect is really well done, I can see it being very annoying if I'm getting rapid fire texts, emails, tweet mentions, etc. I'm already annoyed when my phone constantly pings me, and it's not even attached to me.

The watch they let you try on has no functionality other than a demo screen and some random notifications to demonstrate the feedback. To interact with one, you use a model that's connected to this little hunk of plastic with an embedded iPad mini in it or something. I gather this is so it can pull weather and stock data to demonstrate. This, by the way, took forever (at least in the sense of trying to get a feel for the watch within 10min, mind you). The weather and stocks "glances" just displayed a loading icon for several seconds (6?) and I didn't even bother letting them load before swiping to something else. You could easily pull your phone out and drop down the Notification Center with a weather app more quickly than this thing was loading. Pretty disappointing.

The Digital Crown was much nicer than I anticipated, as well. Scrolls very very smoothly and naturally. I originally thought it was going to be choppy and more stiff. I did have to keep reminding myself to use it just because I'm so accustomed to scrolling by swiping my phone on a screen. I don't really see a problem with using your finger for quick swipes as opposed to the Crown but if you were reading an e-mail you'd want to gradually scroll with it.

I also asked about preorders and availability in store. I was told that you can preorder in the store and they ship to your house. There didn't seem to be an option to order one and have it shipped to the store. They said "eventually" you'll be able to walk in to a store and buy one if they have it in stock, though.

Thanks, this is cool to hear (and infinitely more interesting than shipping dates!).

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Haggins posted:

Do they charge you right away or when it ships? I won't have money for one at least until next month, just thinking maybe I should put an order in.

When it ships. It's something I watch for because the store can take a while to update the shipping status.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

RVProfootballer posted:

Thanks, this is cool to hear (and infinitely more interesting than shipping dates!).

No sweat. I'm probably the only person in my IRL social circle who cares this much about these kind of things so it's cool to be able to gush about it on the forums.

Also - if they don't actually charge you until the thing ships.. maybe I'll go back down the street and preorder one. Although I'm poo poo with my money and will probably be broke by the time it ships anyway, and I would rather spend the money on more tattoos, instead.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Getting back on topic with my dumb, inaccurate popularity contest conducted through shipping dates, the space grey steel 42mm is Has broken through as first to be back ordered into July.

All Edition editions have crossed the 'April 24 to May 8th' and also the '4-6 weeks' production runs with availability only into June. Which is probably a big deal for Apple and puts the fear of god into the luxury watch sector as a measurable bite has just been taken out of it via people who will not be in the market for a mechanical this holiday.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Aww, so the only way I can mess with one in store is an appointment? :( Guess I'll have to wait a little bit until I can guarantee I will have appropriate free time. Bummer, was hoping to go down to check it out today + the new clicky trackpads.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Feenix posted:

Aww, so the only way I can mess with one in store is an appointment? :( Guess I'll have to wait a little bit until I can guarantee I will have appropriate free time. Bummer, was hoping to go down to check it out today + the new clicky trackpads.
There's supposed to be walk ins but who knows how long that'll take.

Are the display table demo units by appointment or just out there like everything else?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

From my experience this morning, the demo units are in the area where you need to have a reservation with someone 1:1. They weren't fixed to the tables or anything like other products are so they need supervision.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Haggins posted:

Here's the danger: Apple is usually pessimistic in shipping dates so the order may ship sooner, possibly quite a bit sooner than listed. You'll be charged when they start prepping your order, but the order will be sent from China and will take a couple days from that point to arrive (which is included in their shipping estimates).

Basically, there's a decent chance you may get charged sooner than you were expecting.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

^^^I threw it on a credit card I don't like using just in case.

Hasters posted:

When it ships. It's something I watch for because the store can take a while to update the shipping status.

Should have just done this earlier. I went ahead and ordered the SS with black classic buckle and it's due in June. I'm moving this month so I really don't want to drop the $765 until I'm settled in anyway.

Also, I'm kinda glad I'm not getting it for awhile. I don't want have to give everyone I see a tech demo.

Haggins fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 10, 2015

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Yeah. Don't be dumb and order it if you don't have the money.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Jose Oquendo posted:

Yeah. Don't be dumb and order it if you don't have the money.

https://screen.yahoo.com/dont-buy-stuff-000000884.html

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

The second watch to push shipped production to July is the pink leather 38mm steel watch, arguably the 'girliest' of the bunch, which when contrasted with the equally demanded 'butch' 42mm space gray steel watch, makes the Apple Watch a hit clear across the gender divide.

Which is probably a huge relief to Apple as there was a not insignificant risk of being viewed as akin to the wristwatch calculators of old, if adoption was slanted too far to the 'gadget' side.

And here is where I'd state a share price position if my uninsightful analysis gleaned from sketchy-yet-publicly available data was written on Merill-Lynch letterhead.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I would say Apple's stuff doesn't have to worry about a gender divide.

Anecdote, but my wife, who is not a gadget nerd, fell in love with the milanese loop watch and without any hesitation wanted it, so we ordered it. Hers is shipping in the normal time frame. Mine is June :(

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Feenix posted:

You need an an appointment to get one fitted to you by an employee. There were demo units at my Apple Store that were anchored to tables. You could just walk up to those and play around.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Seems a bit silly to try to read too much into ship dates, since we have no idea about the quantities that are available of each model.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

smackfu posted:

Seems a bit silly to try to read too much into ship dates, since we have no idea about the quantities that are available of each model.

This is my thought. I am hopeful that Apple is being pessimistic in their ship dates as being 10 minutes late to the party shouldn't necessitate a 4-6 week delay on a niche product.

Edit: Nothing I can do about it either way, so I shall just sit and smile as people inevitably start posting tracking status and shipping weights.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Yeah I'm not really worried about it either. I ordered the ones we wanted and when they show up, they show up.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

shodanjr_gr posted:

You need an an appointment to get one fitted to you by an employee. There were demo units at my Apple Store that were anchored to tables. You could just walk up to those and play around.
There's walk-ins too, 25 minute wait at my local store when I was there around 1:00.

Amusing thing during my appointment, when I mentioned planning to swap bands the guy pulled out his phone to point out there'll be third party ones too. Wish I remembered the site cause there was a cloth one on there that I might get instead of the sport strap.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Yeah no doubt the third parties are going to hitting up the watch accessory gold mine right away. I'm just gonna wait it out.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Went to Lenox Mall today to try on the watches. The 42 SS Link is nice but now I'm regretting not getting the space black instead. The links remove very easy for quick resizing. I liked the leather loops but it was difficult to tighten with the notched leather. The Mailanese loop was a lot easier to tighten but way to feminine for my tastes. The smooth leather on the buckles just didn't do it for me either. I decided on the black sports band with ss stud for everyday use. On a better note, the wife went from tepid to mildly excited for the watch after trying on her pink 38 sport but now wants a white band so there goes another 50 bucks. I am disappointed that there will be no color swaping with the 2 bands. (there is no second band like we asumed).

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

shadow puppet of a posted:

Getting back on topic with my dumb, inaccurate popularity contest conducted through shipping dates, the space grey steel 42mm is Has broken through as first to be back ordered into July.

All Edition editions have crossed the 'April 24 to May 8th' and also the '4-6 weeks' production runs with availability only into June. Which is probably a big deal for Apple and puts the fear of god into the luxury watch sector as a measurable bite has just been taken out of it via people who will not be in the market for a mechanical this holiday.

I am still extremely skeptical that there is a large, mutually exclusive overlap between people who want a (generally) $500-$1000 smart watch made by a tech company and people who are looking to drop high four-figures on an automatic with significantly more brand value as a watch.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
http://www.macrumors.com/2015/04/10/bandswapper-trade-out-duplicate-bands/

If this is true isn't it false advertising to say
"Two bands: one Small-Medium band, one Medium-Large band"?

gohmak fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Apr 11, 2015

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

IuniusBrutus posted:

I am still extremely skeptical that there is a large, mutually exclusive overlap between people who want a (generally) $500-$1000 smart watch made by a tech company and people who are looking to drop high four-figures on an automatic with significantly more brand value as a watch.

Who really cares about discussing who would buy this product. Let's just talk about it and not who you think would buy it. You can find that out as the weeks go on.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I had to kill some time waiting for the old lady to get off of work so I went to the Apple Store to check it out. Reservations for the location were booked solid so I figured I may have to wait. Walked right in and was able to try on right away.

I preordered the black classic buckle and I'm glad I did. I felt it looked nice but wasn't too flashy. I think the Milanese loop was a little too dressy for what I normally wear. Though it feels good, doesn't pinch hairs, and adjusts nicely. The link bracelet was functionally cool (how you open it and adjust it) but it was a little too stiff for my tastes and not worth the insane price imo. I thought the rubber band was the most comfortable and didn't look cheap at all. I wouldn't have been disappointed if I had ordered it instead.

Depending on what 3rd party stuff comes out, I might get the rubber band.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Milanese loop would be awesome for suits and more formal, but really stupid for t-shirts etc.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Just got back from the store. I can't see myself getting anything out of this device other than frustration. I may cancel my order and sit this version out.

I'm probably just not a smart watch guy.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Jealous Cow posted:

Just got back from the store. I can't see myself getting anything out of this device other than frustration. I may cancel my order and sit this version out.

I'm probably just not a smart watch guy.
Any details?

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
I wear a mesh band on the regular (I also wear a blazer for work on the regular so it's not too out of place) so I was pleasantly surprised that the 38mm SS Milanese hadn't hit June territory yet; I've heard the Milanese described as more "feminine" but in my experience a steel mesh is universally slick, and I have tiny baby wrists anyway. I'm sure there's already at least a dozen third-party NATO straps for when I want to keep it more casual.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

I'll add some detail when I get home. There's probably no fair way to judge this without actually using it for a while so take whatever I say lightly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I decided to sit out the preorder despite being up at midnight and watching the Apple Store app. I'm really curious to see what happens to the product over the next few months, but just couldn't bite the early adopter bullet. Best of luck to everyone who preordered with their new toy! We'll see what WWDC holds for the rest of Apple's lineup. Maybe it'll convince me to jump on a Watch, especially if refurbs show up in the store at some point.

• Locked thread