Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ice_2_c_u
Sep 13, 2002

Beeftweeter posted:

lol these loving fonts

how does anyone stand to use windows

ugh, all of our intranet pages look like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

uncurable mlady posted:

every day I find a new thing to hate about windows

although powershell is kinda ok. arguably better than bash scripting.

powershell is definitely better than bash, but its still bad and has no reason to exist.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Shaggar posted:

powershell is definitely better than bash, but its still bad and has no reason to exist.

don't sign you're posts! lmfao

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Phoenixan posted:

i love how it's

i love how that too, OP

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Ice_2_c_u posted:

controlling font smoothing with css should be illegal

*explicitly disables subpixel rendering* duuurrrhurr im a web developer it looks more better on my display!!

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

powershell is ok but in the context of exchange it is terrible because the exchange devs used it as an excuse to not give you a UI for half of the operations you will be routinely doing

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

SO DEMANDING posted:

controlling font smoothing with css should be illegal

*explicitly disables subpixel rendering* duuurrrhurr im a web developer it looks more better on my display!!
most of the time, it's people trying to counteract fonts in chrome on windows looking like poo poo. (it's still poo poo)

graph posted:

i love how that too, OP
i don't just like how. i love how

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Ice_2_c_u posted:

idk if they used some kind of web view but that was from the setup utility that comes with microsoft mouse/keyboard drivers

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

Got an announcement from corporate IT today

quote:

The Windows version of Microsoft “Lync” will be renamed to “Skype for Business” on Wednesday, April 15. The name change will be made as part of our regular Office patch distribution.
This change is almost entirely cosmetic—the functions are the same, existing Lync Meetings are not affected, and external meeting participants will join meetings the same way they do today. While the icons and graphics will change, the location of functions stay the same. Teamrooms, Macs, and mobile devices are not affected.
Here are the most notable changes:

Meetings will now show as “Join Skype Meeting”
References will change from “Lync” to “Skype” or “Skype for Business.”

NOTE: Skype for Business is not the same as the consumer Skype product. The two products are still separate, and consumer Skype still cannot be used to join meetings.

it's even funnier when other people explain it

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

the skype that is made to one day unite the skype clans is going to have an awesome video-game derived code name that goes on to become the shipping name

'waypoint'
'skype odst'
'cortanamunicator'

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

ran into this problem yesterday, let's see what these patch notes have to say (grammar errors are Microsoft's)

quote:

This update provides you an informative message when you cannot open an Office document on a computer that has both Office 2013 Click-to-Run edition and Microsoft Installer (.msi)-based edition installed. The informative message may resembles following:

Sorry, we can't perform this action. Incompatible Office products are installed on your machine. If you have an administrator, please contact them for help.

this only starts happening with this patch. and can happen for a bunch of reasons not related to a combination of click-to-run and msi-based editions co-existing, making the message the complete opposite of informative

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
the consumer metro one is going to be xbox skype live and it will be incompatible with all other skypes

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

univbee posted:

ran into this problem yesterday, let's see what these patch notes have to say (grammar errors are Microsoft's)

this only starts happening with this patch. and can happen for a bunch of reasons not related to a combination of click-to-run and msi-based editions co-existing, making the message the complete opposite of informative

lmao why would the click to run and msi installed versions have any differing behavior

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

capture

shadow puppet of a posted:

the skype that is made to one day unite the skype clans is going to have an awesome video-game derived code name that goes on to become the shipping name

'waypoint'
'skype odst'
'cortanamunicator'

cts capture the Skype

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

lmao why would the click to run and msi installed versions have any differing behavior

there's a ton of bullshit with that, like click-to-run versions of 2010 at least initially were invisible to certain outside programs, making installing plugins impossible

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Beeftweeter posted:

because microsoft

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Beeftweeter posted:

aren't click-to-run programs installed in appdata

univbee posted:

there's a ton of bullshit with that, like click-to-run versions of 2010 at least initially were invisible to certain outside programs, making installing plugins impossible
basically this

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Raere posted:

Got an announcement from corporate IT today

it's even funnier when other people explain it
i can't imagine this being easy for people with skype and "skype for business" installed on the same machine.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
PC keeps dying, mac keeps growing: http://www.macrumors.com/2015/04/09/apple-mac-shipments-estimates-1q15/

I can't wait for a year from now when Apple is at the top of this chart and people will still be saying macs don't sell:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

how many times did the pos os steal focus today?
or not let you move/delete something because it's "in use" by ???????

carry on then posted:

or allow software to create files with too long names, and then refuse to delete, rename, or work with those files in any way

eschaton posted:

it's just a reimplementation of the scripting architecture Apple created in the late 1980s, but instead of trying to use English-like syntax Microsoft decided to do one of the only things that could possibly be worse and use POSIX shell syntax

so you have a decent object model concept that's completely hamstrung by an interaction model and scripting language designed for literal teletypes. great job there.

I'm honestly surprised too that they used the POSIX shell syntax instead of creating a BASIC shell for it. (which is one of the only other things worse than English-style syntax.) they have such a miserable hard-on for that abomination of a language, but maybe marketing wouldn't let them resurrect the "VBScript" name.

all good points

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

a dialog box pops up while i'm typing and immediately disappears because whatever key i pressed chose an option and closed the dialog box

i have no idea what prompted it, what it said, or what was chosen

windows

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

a dialog box pops up while i'm typing and immediately disappears because whatever key i pressed chose an option and closed the dialog box

i have no idea what prompted it, what it said, or what was chosen

windows

usuly it's a restart dialog on a machine that does not properly shut down and is an hours drive away

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

usuly it's a restart dialog on a machine that does not properly shut down and is an hours drive away

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
windows 10 is here with the furniture from the sims 1 for its icons:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Metrication posted:

the recycle bin is the only decent one and thats probably because the old one looked like it was literally made in ms paint so people complained bitterly

also im Trip Preso

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
god segoe is such a bad ui font

pram
Jun 10, 2001
is there anyway to hide the gigantic cortana bar lol

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

yes, but the UI is slightly broken if you do it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

pseudorandom name posted:

yes, but the UI is slightly broken if you do it

doesnt it just turn into a giant search bar instead

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Metrication posted:

I'm the vacay

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Metrication posted:

what the gently caress is this. is ms purposefully trolling anyone with two working eyes here or is this guy in charge of icons?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

the arrow is vertically centred
but the refresh button isn't

and in the search bar, neither the text nor the icon are vertically centred, and they're also not aligned with each other

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

I guess this is why MS is looking to hire more autists just to sit around and make sure basic poo poo is aligned and has vaguely consistent perspective

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Beeftweeter posted:

also im Trip Preso

day 3: halfway up killamanjaro

day 4: kin call didn't work, gonna try again tomorrow

day 5: what even are those hard drives, better trash 'em

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Pinterest Mom posted:

the arrow is vertically centred
but the refresh button isn't

and in the search bar, neither the text nor the icon are vertically centred, and they're also not aligned with each other

its like they took a hand-drawn concept and just made it a real thing without thinkin about widths or distances or anything at all

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

some epic mismanagement here
http://kotaku.com/how-a-small-game-studio-almost-made-it-big-1696997142
tl;dr microsoft gave a game studio a $5 mil budget then scope creeped them into bankruptcy

pram
Jun 10, 2001

quote:

The whole studio’s in the living room, we have a TV going with an Xbox watching the presentation, and then all of a sudden there’s that two-minute CG trailer. And we were like, ‘That’s amazing.’ But at the same time, they didn’t use any of our assets, they didn’t use any of our card packs, nothing. Basically what they showed had nothing to do with the game whatsoever. We had no idea that was even happening… It was like, ‘Holy crap, now fans are expecting characters to look like that, and that’s not what we’re making.’”

lol..

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

I'm This PC

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

qirex posted:

some epic mismanagement here
http://kotaku.com/how-a-small-game-studio-almost-made-it-big-1696997142
tl;dr microsoft gave a game studio a $5 mil budget then scope creeped them into bankruptcy

sounds like these developers sucked and didn't learn how to say no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i am shocked. that small company management were deferential spinless turds w/ a giant corporation

• Locked thread