Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Effectronica posted:

Not omniscient in the sense of absolute perfect knowledge, yes. Only omniscient in the sense of knowing the possible actions we can take and the probabilities we have of taking them.

God as Kwisatz Haderach. That's interesting. Sounds rather limiting, and puts god more in the role of massively powerful alien rather than god of all things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Disinterested posted:

A lot of people wish society would extol more positive values (rather than negative 'you're free to do whatever you want' values) but that doesn't mean they want someone to put the genie back in the bottle re: the sexual revolution or that they want God in any way to be involved.

Yes, they would. Modern culture is disgusting and hedonistic, and anyone who values justice and righteousness and aesthetics, amongst other things is looking for an alternative. People who read old books and find themselves pining for times where things made more sense.

Many people find our current state of "sexual revolution" to be repulsive, and it will always be so. You don't understand how natural it is to be prudish, how much of an active media campaign is necessary to make people go out and embarrass themselves by saying "sex is totally ok, dudes!" The level of degradation people just accept now is absolutely humiliating for our species.

As for God, of course people desire God. They desire not only God, but Jesus Christ. Your view that people are just going to stop desiring these things is itself fanciful. The greatest shock for some of you is going to be when some successive generation rebels against their parents by refusing all of their vulgar sexual "liberations". Even the far left has taken to a very anti-sex attitude.

Right now, there are huge swaths of people on the Internet, even young people, talking about exactly what I'm talking about. It is natural for them to feel that way in our society, which is essentially dystopian.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Kyrie eleison posted:

Yes, they would. Modern culture is disgusting and hedonistic, and anyone who values justice and righteousness and aesthetics, amongst other things is looking for an alternative. People who read old books and find themselves pining for times where things made more sense.

Many people find our current state of "sexual revolution" to be repulsive, and it will always be so. You don't understand how natural it is to be prudish, how much of an active media campaign is necessary to make people go out and embarrass themselves by saying "sex is totally ok, dudes!" The level of degradation people just accept now is absolutely humiliating for our species.

As for God, of course people desire God. They desire not only God, but Jesus Christ. Your view that people are just going to stop desiring these things is itself fanciful. The greatest shock for some of you is going to be when some successive generation rebels against their parents by refusing all of their vulgar sexual "liberations". Even the far left has taken to a very anti-sex attitude.

Right now, there are huge swaths of people on the Internet, even young people, talking about exactly what I'm talking about. It is natural for them to feel that way in our society, which is essentially dystopian.

God, I'm looking forward to the right-wing Catholic future where sex is criminalized and we reproduce via test tubes.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Effectronica posted:

God, I'm looking forward to the right-wing Catholic future where sex is criminalized and we reproduce via test tubes.

And everything we think, do, or say will be in the pill we took today...

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kyrie, if there was a Catholic version of ISIS, would you join it?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Kyrie eleison posted:

Yes, they would. Modern culture is disgusting and hedonistic, and anyone who values justice and righteousness and aesthetics

Curious to sneak that one in. Almost as if you don't actually have a moral compass and have to go appealing to gown-wearing pederasts for it.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Kyrie eleison posted:

Actually there are not many of these people in Western societies and you are engaged in wishful thinking. Or would be, if you weren't a troll.

But guess what - either way, the society you want both never existed and even if it did, is never coming back.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Effectronica posted:

Kyrie eleison posted:

:allears: Man, you have a very dark and disgusting view on what humanity should be.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

SedanChair posted:

Curious to sneak that one in. Almost as if you don't actually have a moral compass and have to go appealing to gown-wearing pederasts for it.
Well come on, man, a beautiful truth or idea is well worth a few million corpses, isn't it? It's not like individual humans have any personal value (note: does not apply when we are making excuses for squashing women)

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Effectronica posted:

Not omniscient in the sense of absolute perfect knowledge, yes. Only omniscient in the sense of knowing the possible actions we can take and the probabilities we have of taking them.

Not the orthodox Christian position.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Disinterested posted:

And far removed from the teaching of Christ.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Disinterested posted:

Sure, but the orthodox position is paradoxical, and it's either ignored and society runs healthily, or it's accepted and people fall into despair and psychosomatic disorders. This at least offers a reconciliation which allows people to have responsibility for their own actions.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Effectronica posted:

it's accepted and people fall into despair and psychosomatic disorders.

Errrrrrrr

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Kyrie eleison posted:

Not only do I not desire Jesus I desire Satan and also pussy and maybe dick if I'm being totally honest with myself

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Effectronica posted:

Sure, but the orthodox position is paradoxical, and it's either ignored and society runs healthily, or it's accepted and people fall into despair and psychosomatic disorders. This at least offers a reconciliation which allows people to have responsibility for their own actions.

If we want to change the basic definition of god as defined by the OP there is a MUCH more simple solution, isn't there?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Look up the prevalence of invalidism among middle-class women in the 19th-century USA, where the idea of predestination reached its apex. The most effective cure was giving them a sense of power over their own lives, and many of them expressed their dissatisfaction in religious terms. Or you could look at the disintegration of society during the Black Death, or the aftermath of the Lisbon earthquake, etc.

Bel Shazar posted:

If we want to change the basic definition of god as defined by the OP there is a MUCH more simple solution, isn't there?

Again, this is a means to reconcile "omniscience" with "free will", instead of discarding either. Ideally, you would discard omniscience, since it is nonessential to the actual meaning of Jesus's message.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Or you could discard free will since we, you know, don't have it. Or discard both.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Excuse me I freely chose to like dick

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Who What Now posted:

Or you could discard free will since we, you know, don't have it. Or discard both.

You won't excuse your posting that easily, guy.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
gently caress! My perfect plan, foiled again! :argh:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kyrie eleison posted:

We aren't really very hedonistic or sexually liberated, Ancient Rome still wins at both of those. Sexual repression is more of a modern idea really, and what you'd call liberation nowadays is merely a rather tame relaxation of some of the hangups introduced in the past oh, maybe 500 years or so?

Do tell also what you consider humiliating degradation because I can't actually think of anything commonly accepted which would fit into that category.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 10, 2015

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Kyrie sure is gonna show that Myrna Minkoff how wrong she is about sex and geometry.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

We aren't really very hedonistic or sexually liberated, Ancient Rome still wins at both of those. Sexual repression is more of a modern idea really, and what you'd call liberation nowadays is merely a rather tame relaxation of some of the hangups introduced in the past oh, maybe 500 years or so?

Do tell also what you consider humiliating degradation because I can't actually think of anything commonly accepted which would fit into that category.
"Being gay and wanting to be gay and do gay things, gayly, with other men, it has to be gross it has to be gross it HAS to be gross" - basically

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp

OwlFancier posted:

Ancient Rome wasn't sexually liberated in the least. What they had there was a corruption of sexuality that was a norm in their disgusting masochistic and homophobic culture.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well they certainly weren't very equitable in their sex habits but they were much less prudish about the whole thing, and I rather doubt kyrie is especially interested in what the female half of society gets out of sex anyway. Also get the feeling that he would be A-OK with the weird ideas about homosexuality also.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 11, 2015

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Nessus posted:

Kyrie, if there was a Catholic version of ISIS, would you join it?

God that's hot

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Effectronica posted:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

PerpetualSelf posted:

Ancient Rome wasn't sexually liberated in the least. What they had there was a corruption of sexuality that was a norm in their disgusting masochistic and homophobic culture.

But they also genocided the Jews, so there's proof that no one is all bad.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

OwlFancier posted:

Well they certainly weren't very equitable in their sex habits but they were much less prudish about the whole thing, and I rather doubt kyrie is especially interested in what the female half of society gets out of sex anyway. Also get the feeling that he would be A-OK with the weird ideas about homosexuality also.

No the Romans were super prudish about all sorts of things, just not a few specific things that people are prudish about now. "The Romans weren't prudish at all" is dumb Victorian-era thinking.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Ancient Romans were a deeply conservative people, with a very complex and to us seemingly contradictory philosophy of propriety of action determined solely by the actions of men. Women exist usually to only be ancillary to men, in all but a few fields. When you read stories of parties and orgies and crass descriptions of loving it usually isn't because its presenting an alien, more open free love but using them as devices that are supposed to appear scandalous to the intended Roman audience.

In a way that's why Christianity proved to be so popular. It wasn't some hoodwink imposed on the people but tapped into a wellspring of traditional Roman conceptions obsessed with virtue and chastity in behavior.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Kyrie eleison posted:

God that's hot

Blasphemy!

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp

VitalSigns posted:

But they also genocided the Jews, so there's proof that no one is all bad.

Um that is a bad thing I do not desire the genocide of anyone.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

PerpetualSelf posted:

Um that is a bad thing I do not desire the genocide of anyone.

But you said earlier in the thread that Jews should be throwing themselves in front of Israeli rockets to prove they're "one of the good ones" so I'm not sure how you reconcile that with not desiring genocide.

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012

Effectronica posted:

Actually, the Catholic Church is against IVF. :pseudo:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

GyroNinja posted:

Actually, the Catholic Church is against IVF. :pseudo:

Not according to:

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

While acknowledging that the Cyber pope is a good man my Church was never able to accept his reforms.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yzY-HUvavU

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

did mary magdalene have big titties? i have a need to learn this

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Pastor Perineum posted:

Xenosaga says yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Pastor Perineum posted:

do you mean according to the official timeline or the alternate Da Vinci Code canon

• Locked thread