Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
The really long bans (the ones until 9999 and 30xx) are iirc for a guy who lobbed death threats at a judge or something and a ring of professional thieves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Here's to hoping we get a Pete Rose of Magic: The Gathering out of this PT.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Zoness posted:

The really long bans (the ones until 9999 and 30xx) are iirc for a guy who lobbed death threats at a judge or something and a ring of professional thieves.

The guy with the 8000 year ban until 9999 is apparently a store owner who was given the ultimate punishment for breaking street date on a box of Gatecrash. :what:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Didn't the guy who threatened to sexually assault Helene Bergeot also get a lifetime ban?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

pakman posted:

Here's to hoping we get a Pete Rose of Magic: The Gathering out of this PT.

is Tomoharu Saito not close enough? how about Mike Long?

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Zoness posted:

ocean's 11/11

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
http://magic.wizards.com/en/content/suspended-dci-memberships

I would love to hear the story behind this guy:

Clearly Excellent 2102400657 2012-10-03 2099-01-01

:allears:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Zoness posted:

is Tomoharu Saito not close enough? how about Mike Long?

Oh mike long. Isn't he doing money making scams now?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Angry Grimace posted:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/content/suspended-dci-memberships

I would love to hear the story behind this guy:

Clearly Excellent 2102400657 2012-10-03 2099-01-01

:allears:

Some of those are tournament fraud i.e. fake players used to run fake tournaments to get event promos. Bob Maher Jr actually got in trouble (read: was banned for a while) for something like that when local events would influence someone's dci rating and matter for tiebreaks or quals or something.

notbrant
Jul 1, 2003
If my meta is full of mouth breathing net deckers like me should I bring GR aggro, esper control, bant heroic, ?

I'm expecting a lot of GR aggro.
My lists are fully built.

I'm going to recommend to my son that he brings Abzan control over mono red

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

notbrant posted:

If my meta is full of mouth breathing net deckers like me should I bring GR aggro, esper control, bant heroic, ?

I'm expecting a lot of GR aggro.
My lists are fully built.

I'm going to recommend to my son that he brings Abzan control over mono red

Depending on the list, GR Aggro dies to Abzan, Control, and G/W Devotion in my experience (I too have a bizarrely G/R aggro-filled meta).

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Barry Shitpeas posted:

It was the look-in in round 5 6, Owen Turtenwald was in the feature match

Welp, that sucked.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I've heard of a similar situation where a LGS had an employee who wanted to go to a GP halfway across the country that nobody else in the area was interested in. They scheduled a GPT during a weekend where there was a PTQ going on nearby, and did not publicize it beyond the minimum required by Wizards. They had about 10 friends show up, pay the $5 entry fee, played a few rounds, and they ended up splitting the prize pool giving the employee the byes. The judge was a L1 who also worked for the store.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I'm watching the Chapin call thing now, I just go to the infraction and yeah, he clearly put the card with his hand without revealing it, it doesn't matter if it wasn't picked up. Now, an argument could be made (and I think that's what Patrick should have done (or did later? Still watching it) ) that it was clear that it wasn't shuffled in the hand or anything, but it's very flimsy.

Yep, looks like that's what the judge is explaining. "You put it in your hand, it clearly implies that."

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

So on non-cheating related topics, am I the only one to find draft really boring to watch, or at least the games we're getting on stream right now?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Fiend Computer posted:

So on non-cheating related topics, am I the only one to find draft really boring to watch, or at least the games we're getting on stream right now?

No, draft creatures and spells are all really low impact and boring

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Fiend Computer posted:

Its about equally as fun to watch, in my estimation.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Was chat working for the PT stream earlier or was it turned off? Too busy to watch it live so I'm watching the replay.

And gently caress even at source quality it looks like jittery poo poo.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Bugsy posted:

Was chat working for the PT stream earlier or was it turned off? Too busy to watch it live so I'm watching the replay.

They turned it off a while back, I think a couple of GPs ago.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I'd rather draft than watch draft, yeah.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Fiend Computer posted:

The thing that makes limited video coverage less compelling to me is they only show you the games. I really like draft videos the way strategy sites do them, because you get to see the entire draft and deckbuilding portion and then see that deck through all its matches. The logistics aren't quite there to do that with a paper draft and it suffers for it in my opinion.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Angry Grimace posted:

Even repeat offenders of straight up cheating don't get lifetime bans, which leads me to believe you'd have to put your opponent in the hospital or something to draw one.

The list of suspended DCI members does list one guy who is banned for the next 7,950 years.
Joke will be on them when they find out he's a lich and his phylactery is one of these.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

You know you're on a fragile streak of luck when you win a constructed game on a mull to 3 despite your opponent Thoughtseizing you twice in the first two turns (joke's on him, all I have is land and a useless Stubborn Denial).

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Well good for Chapin not bitching let alone acknowledging the incident on Twitter. If I was him I'd have been pretty annoyed that the cameras were still on me and the audience got to watch the incident.

That's still the thing that gets me about it, not that mistakes were made and rules lawyering was done in a high stakes situation; the fact that Wizards didn't have the intelligence to cut away to a Deck Tech and not televise the whole thing.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Serperoth posted:

I'm watching the Chapin call thing now, I just go to the infraction and yeah, he clearly put the card with his hand without revealing it, it doesn't matter if it wasn't picked up. Now, an argument could be made (and I think that's what Patrick should have done (or did later? Still watching it) ) that it was clear that it wasn't shuffled in the hand or anything, but it's very flimsy.

Yep, looks like that's what the judge is explaining. "You put it in your hand, it clearly implies that."

It's understandable that he'd be frustrated because of the lack of picking up the cards or shuffling them together. I was a bit surprised that he seemed to be feigning ignorance of the hard-and-fast rule that "it's only gay if the cards touch". That's just about the only tournament rule I know by heart, once the sleeves touch it's in your hand and treated like a drawn card.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Bugsy posted:

And gently caress even at source quality it looks like jittery poo poo.

I just caught the stream for a second on mobile. Chat was active.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Gridlocked posted:

Well good for Chapin not bitching let alone acknowledging the incident on Twitter. If I was him I'd have been pretty annoyed that the cameras were still on me and the audience got to watch the incident.

That's still the thing that gets me about it, not that mistakes were made and rules lawyering was done in a high stakes situation; the fact that Wizards didn't have the intelligence to cut away to a Deck Tech and not televise the whole thing.

We might hear what he has to say about it on his podcast in a week or two.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

MiddleEastBeast posted:

It's understandable that he'd be frustrated because of the lack of picking up the cards or shuffling them together. I was a bit surprised that he seemed to be feigning ignorance of the hard-and-fast rule that "it's only gay if the cards touch". That's just about the only tournament rule I know by heart, once the sleeves touch it's in your hand and treated like a drawn card.

He did pick up the cards though, they were literally in his hand when the judge steps in

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Barry Shitpeas posted:

He did pick up the cards though, they were literally in his hand when the judge steps in

I thought that was after his opponent had said like "Um, any plans to reveal?" and he revealed, then picked up. I might have that all totally wrong.

edit: nope you're right. he picked them up entirely.

MiddleEastBeast fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 11, 2015

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

MiddleEastBeast posted:

I thought that was after his opponent had said like "Um, any plans to reveal?" and he revealed, then picked up. I might have that all totally wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEfotvoQwU4

Happens at 57:45. He picks up the hand for a second before anyone says anything to him.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Back, and to the left.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

MiddleEastBeast posted:

edit: nope you're right. he picked them up entirely.

Yeah I just rewatched it.

Chapin fiddles with is Ugin and confirms it is on 10 loyalty.
Chapin then moves a dice with 1 face up onto his Ajani and says "Looking at the top 4."
Chapin draws one at a time and they are angled so the camera can see them revealing a Tasigur, two basic Plains and a Temple of Malady.
Chapin moves the Tasigur down partially touching his hand which is laying face down on the table, shuffles the 3 lands and puts them on the bottom of his deck.
Chapin grabs his hand and the Tasigur he put face down on partially on his hand and pulls them towards him; as he does so his oppoent clearly says "He has to reveal" and the judge less clearly says "Wait".
Chapin replies "Yeah sorry" and flips the card face up; the judge says "Ahhh" and he offers to reveal his whole hand claiming his oppoent already knows the other 2 cards he has.
The judge states that as the card was not distinct from Chapins hand and that he picked up all 3 cards at once it is considered a game rule violation for not revealing and thus is a Game Loss, however he also states he is aware that Chapin will appeal and is happy to fetch the head judge immediately; the rest follows.

E: his oppoent cuts in while the judge is explaining the ruling and states that he did not already know the other cards in Chapins hand.

So yeah it was a mistake on Pats behalf not to flip the card up or reveal it before he put it down, and I am sure at say FNM it wouldn't have been such a big deal; but in this case it is fairly clear the card touched his hand and was being put into his hand without revealing it and the judge was being very astute with the ruling.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 11, 2015

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Was it a justifiable call in the sense that "the rules must be upheld at all times to the letter regardless of.. *adjusts monocle and farts a rulebook*!!!" Yes. Is it the kind of rule-mongering that makes tournament magic seem lovely and annoying instead of fun? Yes.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Was it a justifiable call in the sense that "the rules must be upheld at all times to the letter regardless of.. *adjusts monocle and farts a rulebook*!!!" Yes. Is it the kind of rule-mongering that makes tournament magic seem lovely and annoying instead of fun? Yes.

Oh I agree, though honestly I don't think the table judge was particularly excited or thrilled that he had to reflex hand out a ruling; in fact I think he was likely doing so because being the last feature match, on turns with everyone watching he was making sure he didn't screw up. And as I said in a LGS FNM match it would have been "Oh it was this one" "Yeah I saw saw you put it down, all good" in this case he had to do it by the book.

Really it was one of those "for want of a nail" situations. Had his oppoent spoken up faster it may have been ok, had Pat left the card to the side, had he twirled it around as he put it down; really just a series of unfortunate events in the wrong place at the wrong time.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
When do the PT decklists usually go up? I heard something about a G/W aggro deck from Shuhei on the rebroadcast.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

They release them at the end of the Swiss rounds tomorrow.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

JerryLee posted:

Didn't the guy who threatened to sexually assault Helene Bergeot also get a lifetime ban?

Yeah.

Also this is going back but Chapin didn't sell crack, it was ecstasy. A large portion of the PT at the time were really into the Detroit rave scene. MTG pro history rules.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
How's Strength from the Fallen guy doing? I forgot what his name was.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

The Lord of Hats posted:

How's Strength from the Fallen guy doing? I forgot what his name was.

7-1 I think. He's a Lawyer too, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010
It looks like another player got DQ'd at the Pro Tour too. Stephen Speck presented a 53 card deck, and a 22 card sideboard. Tom Martell tweeted "I was shocked to learn that the guy who had 5+ turn 1 Amulet kills at GP Vancouver was DQ'd today for palming his starting 7. Shocked!"

• Locked thread