Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

I'm only like 3 minutes in but it looks like KyoAni finally decided to make a good show again

its true, they havent made a single good anime since amagi brilliant park

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Everything after Nichijou has been varying shades of mediocre or bad. But this seems cool, especially since the plot is just "we took the story of Free and made it about band instead, but less gay".

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
tamako market was a masterpiece and hyouka was great, but i guess i can understand the rest? i didnt watch that girl with glasses and something about blood show and i couldnt handle watching another season of free

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Hyouka was great. Glasses Blood Sword Girl Show was not terrible, but it wasn't good either. The only advantage it had was that the animation was good.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Every kyoani show has good animation, the most technically impressive in the business I think.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Every kyoani show has good animation, the most technically impressive in the business I think.

That's not tough when you animate the same (high school girls) stuff in every show.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Shukaro posted:

That's not tough when you animate the same (high school girls) stuff in every show.

True, but their best work usually has unique aesthetics, like Lucky Star and Nichijou. Every other show looks like a more detailed version of Haruhi but nothing in that department will ever top Disappearance, but I'm glad they try.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

True, but their best work usually has unique aesthetics, like Lucky Star and Nichijou. Every other show looks like a more detailed version of Haruhi but nothing in that department will ever top Disappearance, but I'm glad they try.

Please don't remind me that they'll never animate more Nichijou and will just try to see if anybody will still buy Haruhi forever.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Shukaro posted:

Please don't remind me that they'll never animate more Nichijou and will just try to see if anybody will still buy Haruhi forever.

They don't even offer the latter, sadly.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

They animated some really neat and pretty imagery in Hyouka, and the imaginary fight scenes in Chuunibyo were cool as hell. KyoAni always does something interesting in each of their shows.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tamako Market was one of the most boring shows I've ever watched though.

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
grow up

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UI1eKa6G_I

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Shut up!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, Asuka is basically the best.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I feel bad for Aoi. She just wanted a light music club and everybody else feels pressured to go for the nationals.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
This show is so pretty.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

i really like the little end cards this show has. well i guess they are not really the end cards because these show up in the middle of the show but you know what i mean

episode 1

episode 2

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

:worship:

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
:worship:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

wb

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Welcome back, tremendous dickhead.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I am glad you're back, Dick Spacious.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Well played.

Has Ralp relented on his ultimatum, or was this a :10bux: gently caress you?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Allarion posted:

I feel bad for Aoi. She just wanted a light music club and everybody else feels pressured to go for the nationals.

What an unfair vote. It should have at least been a blind vote!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I am kinda liking this show.

Mainly because the script is challenging a lot of the aspects that you don't often see in this sort of thing - in particular the tension between having fun and being successful, and also the force of peer pressure. Still I suspect that by the end this will all fall by the wayside and they'll reach the nationals by the power of friendship or whatever.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Aoi just wanted to have a fun high school life. You can see the despair in her eyes as she realizes her last year is going to be full of the same drama, stress, and disappointment that she's already surrendered 2 years to.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Fangz posted:

I am kinda liking this show.

Mainly because the script is challenging a lot of the aspects that you don't often see in this sort of thing - in particular the tension between having fun and being successful, and also the force of peer pressure. Still I suspect that by the end this will all fall by the wayside and they'll reach the nationals by the power of friendship or whatever.

Yeah it's got a surprisingly solid theme. I was expecting more SOL drama than something this solidly directed, story-wise.

On another note, I feel like KyoAni might be overdoing the cinematic shots and their usage of shaky-cams. It's not actively bad but it's occasionally awkward.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

i really like the little end cards this show has. well i guess they are not really the end cards because these show up in the middle of the show but you know what i mean

episode 1

episode 2

Lmfao

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

As a band person guy that hasn't watched any of KyoAni's other stuff, I am finding this pretty fun (and surprisingly accuse) so far! Man, it is weird to see a high school band accepting people have no experience, though.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

My high school band accepted people who had no experience. Our band sucked rear end though. Also if you like the style of the show check out Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu, Nichijou and Lucky Star. K-On too maybe.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

My high school band accepted people who had no experience. Our band sucked rear end though. Also if you like the style of the show check out Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu, Nichijou and Lucky Star. K-On too maybe.

Basically almost anything done by KyoAni in the last 5-8 years is of a reasonably high quality. The director for this series did Chuunibyou, Nichijou, and Haruhi (and its movie) and they're all excellent. Hyouka is also very good

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Also Hyouka and Chuunibyo (not season 2, that was bad).

As for school bands, my school had several different bands where one was the general band that newcomers could join and the others were higher level competitive bands. Same for the orchestras and choirs. Then again, I did go to a big suburban school in a relatively well-off area, but the budget has been dropping for a while now so I imagine compromises have been made.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I am loving the generally grounded feel this has going on. As has been said, the conflict between laid back fun and high effort competition is very compelling. Braids-senpai (Aoi? I think that's right) lamenting her fleeting youth at seventeen years of age is pretty dumb, though.

Shut up-senpai is the best. She was fun in the first episode, but her energy in the second was fantastic.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Shut-up Senpai was born on Christmas Day.

We do not consider this a coincidence.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I am loving the generally grounded feel this has going on. As has been said, the conflict between laid back fun and high effort competition is very compelling. Braids-senpai (Aoi? I think that's right) lamenting her fleeting youth at seventeen years of age is pretty dumb, though.

Shut up-senpai is the best. She was fun in the first episode, but her energy in the second was fantastic.

Remember that this is Japan. If you're not married at twenty-five, you're done as a woman. Youth can and does end hard and fast over there, which is why there's so much fetishisation of the glory days of high school.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Darth Walrus posted:

Remember that this is Japan. If you're not married at twenty-five, you're done as a woman. Youth can and does end hard and fast over there, which is why there's so much fetishisation of the glory days of high school.

Even with that, she has university ahead of her, "the childhood of the Japanese." It's pretty transparently the creators looking back with misty eyes, as I suspect most HS seniors, even in Japan, are looking forward rather than back.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Even with that, she has university ahead of her, "the childhood of the Japanese." It's pretty transparently the creators looking back with misty eyes, as I suspect most HS seniors, even in Japan, are looking forward rather than back.

Well, only a minority of women go to university in Japan, and in any case she would be separated from her high school friends.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Fangz posted:

Well, only a minority of women go to university in Japan, and in any case she would be separated from her high school friends.

where are you getting your numbers from? worldbank shows only 61% of japanese go to post-secondary with 90 female to 100 male ratio. that's 55% of women bro, if I'm reading that right

• Locked thread