Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Joementum posted:

He's the House Ways and Means Chairman, so, no.
That's what I thought. Was looking for a joke I thought I'd missed but just wasn't there in the first place :p

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Joementum posted:

He's the House Ways and Means Chairman, so, no.
Some Republicans have taken to dismissing Paul Ryan as a RINO for working towards bipartisan budget deals, while proposing the literal Ryan Budget as an alternative.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Isn't Ways and Means one of the plum assignments because of all the bribes contributions it entails?

Wabbit
Aug 22, 2002

Have you any figs, Sir?

greatn posted:

You underestimate Rand Paul. He's got more conservative and establishment books fides than you give him credit for, and I think he's going to be able to bridge the gap between the lolbertarian wing, the tea party gently caress the poor wing, and the corporate just give me some money wing.

His answers in his confrontational interviews so far have been fairly politically savvy.

And the person who originally predicted he'd win the nomination: Chris Matthews.

Nah, I don't think Rand's going to get too far this cycle, the time isn't right for him. The issues in the Republican primary are going to be "religious freedom" (to not do business with gay people), Iran and Isis, and securing the border. Rand is good on religious freedom because that's a classic libertarian position, but he's weak on the other two. He's scrambling to reorient himself but I don't think he's really convincing too many people, there's too many contradictions in his past on immigration and nonintervention in the middle east. His signature issue of cracking down on NSA surveillance isn't even big right now.

I think the primary electorate is going to want a candidate that will offer them a really strong return to republican values package - no to gay rights, secure the border, stand by israel, trounce Isis, bomb Iran, spit in Putin's face, roll back every single thing that Schemin' Kenyan has done. Restore good old America. Rand isn't really in a good position to offer that, Cruz is more oriented that way. Walker and Bush can probably do some moves in that direction, Perry may be more able this time.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Here's what's hard for liberals to understand about Scott Walker: his appeal is that liberals hate him. The more you point out his flaws, the more you deride his credentials, the more appealing he becomes.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Joementum posted:

Here's what's hard for liberals to understand about Scott Walker: his appeal is that liberals hate him. The more you point out his flaws, the more you deride his credentials, the more appealing he becomes.

Oh please don't throw us in that old briar patch, br'er GOP.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Joementum posted:

Walker kind of concerns me if he gets to the general, because he's so dull and unremarkable that he might not gently caress up. He's like a much more well-funded Tim Pawlenty.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

He's whats easy to understand about walker: all that hate, all that animosity, it's only temporary. It slips away when the next man of the hour appears, and frankly, this summer is Cruz's hour

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

paranoid randroid posted:

Oh please don't throw us in that old briar patch, br'er GOP.

Well, he's not going to beat Hillary, but the dude did get himself elected Governor of Wisconsin about a dozen times in the last four years.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Joementum posted:

Well, he's not going to beat Hillary, but the dude did get himself elected Governor of Wisconsin about a dozen times in the last four years.

That's Wisconsin's problem. If the republican base demands to be represented by the human pudding cup next year, more power to them.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

paranoid randroid posted:

That's Wisconsin's problem. If the republican base demands to be represented by the human pudding cup next year, more power to them.

well, we all know what Walker's secret service codename is now: Tapioca.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

My Imaginary GF posted:

Fish Pudding

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Walker will always be defined in my memory by the time he got fooled by a reporter prank calling him pretending to be David Koch. During the conversation he basically admitted planning to place instigators in protests that were taking place over his gutting of unions, and ended the call by openly accepting a bribe to fly out and spend some time at Koch's country club or something like that.

Nobody cared and he won his recall. Great presidential material.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

My Imaginary GF posted:

There's Always Room for Walker (c)

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Walker will always be defined in my memory by the time he got fooled by a reporter prank calling him pretending to be David Koch. During the conversation he basically admitted planning to place instigators in protests that were taking place over his gutting of unions, and ended the call by openly accepting a bribe to fly out and spend some time at Koch's country club or something like that.

Nobody cared and he won his recall. Great presidential material.

And then that reporter went to jail for "menacing" a cop with a dildo.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I would be embarrassed to call Walker my president, because he's such a goon. Seriously that droopy mother fucker would embarrass us with his face alone

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

JT Jag posted:

Walker kind of concerns me if he gets to the general, because he's so dull and unremarkable that he might not gently caress up. He's like a much more well-funded Tim Pawlenty.

Who?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Exactly.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Zelder posted:

I would be embarrassed to call Walker my president, because he's such a goon. Seriously that droopy mother fucker would embarrass us with his face alone

I'm trying to imagine him speaking with someone like Merkel, and she just starts talking very very slowly to make sure he can understand, then she offers him a chocolate

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Wabbit posted:

(to not do business with gay people)

We need to move beyond the media framing of this - it is also about employment discrimination toward people who are living openly (the employee-employer relationship being a business transaction in pure market speak). These are basically laws that force people into the closet. Same-sex Marriage will likely be legal nationwide in the near future, but in some states people claiming their spouse on their return might find themselves getting a pink slip.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

What's up? I am. Ha ha. Get it? The joke is that I am tall. Much taller than Cuban Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez with whom I'm shaking hands. And thus, I am "up" in comparison to his stature.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Joementum posted:

What's up? I am. Ha ha. Get it? The joke is that I am tall. Much taller than Cuban Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez with whom I'm shaking hands. And thus, I am "up" in comparison to his stature.

Kerry just ripped a wet one.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the day, "I think that interviews are difficult. Like right now while we're doing this interview I can't see you. You know, I'm in a remote—by a remote camera in South Carolina. When an interview's contentious and when an interview is full of a lot of opinion and editorializing and it's a long-winded question that's setting you up to say, well, you know, you've been beating your wife all these years and when are you going to stop beating your wife? It's very difficult in those contentious interviews. I don't think it makes for good TV on both sides. And I do lose my cool. And I lost—I do lose my temper sometimes. And I should be better at that, but the thing is you don't get any visual clues." ~ Rand Paul.

Quote of the night, "What are you going to do if Martians land on earth? you going to kill all martians that have two heads when they land? We always have to handle these bizarre hypotheticals, and the liberals get off scot free." ~ Rand Paul.

Joementum fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Apr 11, 2015

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Just a reminder that David Simon used O'Malley as one of the models for this guy:

EDIT: Funny that some people think we should go from a president who enjoys The Wire to a president who was all but literally a character in The Wire.

Obama is, himself, very much Carcetti.

Edit: gently caress's sake, Randpaul! You're hardly even trying KILL YOUR PARENTS.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, "I think that interviews are difficult. Like right now while we're doing this interview I can't see you. You know, I'm in a remote—by a remote camera in South Carolina. When an interview's contentious and when an interview is full of a lot of opinion and editorializing and it's a long-winded question that's setting you up to say, well, you know, you've been beating your wife all these years and when are you going to stop beating your wife? It's very difficult in those contentious interviews. I don't think it makes for good TV on both sides. And I do lose my cool. And I lost—I do lose my temper sometimes. And I should be better at that, but the thing is you don't get any visual clues." ~ Rand Paul.

Quote of the night, "What are you going to do if Martians land on earth? you going to kill all martians that have two heads when they land? We always have to handle these bizarre hypotheticals, and the liberals get off scot free." ~ Rand Paul.

He's right though. When's the last time you heard a liberal get asked the "Would you kill the two-headed martians?" question?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Bonus quote of the night, "I want to reiterate to all Department [of Justice] personnel, including attorneys and law enforcement officers, that they are prohibited from soliciting, procuring, or accepting commercial sex." ~ Eric Holder.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Joementum posted:

Bonus quote of the night, "I want to reiterate to all Department [of Justice] personnel, including attorneys and law enforcement officers, that they are prohibited from soliciting, procuring, or accepting commercial sex." ~ Eric Holder.

Well, we appreciaate your input, Herr Holder.

On a related note, are you or have you ever been in a sexual relationship with a colored woman?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Ralepozozaxe posted:

He's right though. When's the last time you heard a liberal get asked the "Would you kill the two-headed martians?" question?

Only if it were Cho'Gal.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

DemeaninDemon posted:

Only if it were Cho'Gal.

So basically, you would engage in religious bias against those who wish to return the Old Gods to their rightful dominance over the world.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Joementum posted:

There's got to be a story behind this.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

GreyjoyBastard posted:

So basically, you would engage in religious bias against those who wish to return the Old Gods to their rightful dominance over the world.

If it's a crazy two-headed ogre with 5743 eyeballs all throughout their body then yeah. Yup definitely shoot your mom.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Joementum posted:

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Somewhere in Ohio, Dennis Kucinich snaps awake, a sharp rebuttal on his lips without knowing why.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
A Rand, Kucinich, and Podesta round table on Martians would definitely make 2016 the Best Election Ever of All Time.

Get on this, CNN!

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Joementum posted:

What about amateur sex?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
It says nothing about industrial sex either.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

Someone just received an internal report on departmental procurement and desperately needs to head off the Congressional investigation

Maybe there should be a House Permanent Subcommittee on Eric Holder's Illegal Actions?

Nintendo Kid posted:

It says nothing about industrial sex either.

You--you forgot---you forgot martian sex.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I think Walker has a pretty good chance in the primary because he's basically perfectly walking the fine line between establishment and tea party, he's pretty much the only one who is fully trusted by both groups. I guess Rand Paul sort of fits that bill now that he has gone into pandering overdrive to appeal to the base but I still don't think they fully trust him, and his campaign is probably going to be even more incompetent than Walker's will if what we have seen so far is any indication.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Quidam Viator posted:

It's really exciting, isn't it? I mean, just think what hell any one of the GOP candidates could wreak with a fully armed and operational House and Senate majority behind them. They could use the full power of the US constitution, backed by ~38 Republican governors and their State legislatures to just lay waste to everything, and it would be totally legal. Even if it weren't legal, they could make it legal. And if they play their cards right and win the first midterm, you're absolutely right, they can pack the Supreme Court for the next few decades, and make ABSOLUTELY loving SURE that everything they want is legal, everything they don't like is illegal, and make their brand of craziness the new normal.

Aren't you making a good argument against accelerationism? We get a conservative Executive and Legislative branch, and then the Executive makes sure the Judiciary conservative too, and then poo poo gets real bad, and then people realize "holy poo poo, poo poo is real bad" ... and then they can't do anything about it by that point because any court challenges will be shot down, or it'll be enshrined by law, or it'll be upheld via Executive Order, and then people will accept it as the way things have always been, and then no change happens because you just handed the keys to the nutters and they locked the steering wheel in place.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I am 100% convinced that Walker is a golem that has been animated purely by Midwestern Republican Values

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Carrasco posted:

There's got to be a story behind this.

What division is Secret Service in, Homeland? They keep having scandals every 3 months it seems.

• Locked thread