Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Geoj posted:

Content: I don't think I'll ever own a factory performance model. My position was recently eliminated and I lost my company car as a result so right now I'm driving my brother's first-generation MS3 until I get my severance package and my unemployment checks start coming in so I can throw about $1000 at my Focus to get it roadworthy again.

Seems like every shitlord driving a car with a DOHC engine wants to race me now. Had some jackass in a beat to poo poo Accord pull up to me at a light. Engine was surging and blasting clouds of blue smoke, check engine light is on, etc. I accelerated at a roughly normal pace to 60 (in a 50 MPH zone) and settled in...about 20 seconds later this guy passes me bouncing off the rev limiter and leaving a cloud of burned oil smoke in his wake.

e: probably bragging to his friends about how he totally owned a turbocharged car from a roll once the VTEC kicked in, yo :rice:

Heh, as a lifelong sportbike rider, I feel your pain. Seemingly, everyone who rides wearing flipflops and shades in lieu of gear, or everyone with a fartcan and a bodykit on a hatchback wants to race. Can't I just go to work in peace?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

I rented a boxster last week and no-one even hinted that they wanted to race the middle-aged lady :dings:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Flint Ironstag posted:

Heh, as a lifelong sportbike rider, I feel your pain. Seemingly, everyone who rides wearing flipflops and shades in lieu of gear, or everyone with a fartcan and a bodykit on a hatchback wants to race. Can't I just go to work in peace?

ADV dork supremacy :coolfish:

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Safety Dance posted:

ADV dork supremacy :coolfish:

For years, I have thought about buying a KLR, doing the doohickey, and riding off into the sunset. Then I get another sportbike, because I do love that inline 4 rush. Just for safe highway merging, of course. I love all kinds of bikes, yet keep coming back to sportbikes. My own personal heroin.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Three separate times this week I've almost been hit while waiting to pull out of exit-only driveways by people trying to pull into them. This last time I was sitting at the bank when some guy almost plowed into the front of my car like I didn't even exist. This is like three months after my car was totaled by an unlicensed driver who cut her turn so short that she hit me head on while I was sitting at a stop sign.

...I think I need a dash cam so that there's some video evidence of what happened when I'm inevitably killed in my car.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Flint Ironstag posted:

For years, I have thought about buying a KLR, doing the doohickey, and riding off into the sunset. Then I get another sportbike, because I do love that inline 4 rush. Just for safe highway merging, of course. I love all kinds of bikes, yet keep coming back to sportbikes. My own personal heroin.

You wanna buy my Buell Ulysses? It's got all the ADV dorkiness and a hundred horsepower to boot.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I was sitting at a red light at the end of a highway off ramp. My light turned green, and in the second that I was putting the car into gear I had noticed a girl in an Accord approaching the intersection at a high rate of speed. I realized she wasn't going to stop in time, and she didn't, slamming on her brakes and coming to a stop about 3/4 of the way across the intersection. She put the car in reverse and backed all the way back across to where she should have stopped.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Was in the leftmost of a dual left- turn lane earlier today when the RAV4 in front of me decided he really needed to get into the rightmost left-turn lane mid turn. So he put on his indicator. And stopped. In the middle of the intersection. Everyone in the other turn-lane kept going, so he couldn't get in, so he sat there until the light turned and no one else was coming, and finally completed his turn. All the honking in the world by myself and the guy behind me did nothing, he ignored it all.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

In the Boston area there are lots of Rotorys or Traffic Circles if you will. 99% of people do not know how they work and so will no give way when they are supposed to almost crash into me. This is usually followed with horn blowing and swearing in what can only be described as Bostonian Celtic before I drive away.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Not sure if it's possible to get just the video link for this (from a news station), so just posting the link to the page.

http://www.10news.com/news/video-drunken-woman-wanders-onto-i-15-freeway

Drunk woman meandering around on I-15 at night.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Geoj posted:

Seems like every shitlord driving a car with a DOHC engine wants to race me now. Had some jackass in a beat to poo poo Accord pull up to me at a light. Engine was surging and blasting clouds of blue smoke, check engine light is on, etc. I accelerated at a roughly normal pace to 60 (in a 50 MPH zone) and settled in...about 20 seconds later this guy passes me bouncing off the rev limiter and leaving a cloud of burned oil smoke in his wake.

e: probably bragging to his friends about how he totally owned a turbocharged car from a roll once the VTEC kicked in, yo :rice:

Imagine having a red Prelude (S, not even Si/VTEC, with F22 engine. :corsair:) Kids in rustbucket Hondas solicit races from me all the time. I don't know if it's cuz I live right next to a high school or what, but it's terrible.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

The Locator posted:

Not sure if it's possible to get just the video link for this (from a news station), so just posting the link to the page.

Linked from the news story.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s502HgQn7Vo

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Jesus :stare:

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Did you see the other video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzOmt9OKU-w

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
gently caress both of these loving stupid loving drivers. Jesus christ.

first video, looks like a puddle of puke right at the driver side of the car.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

gently caress both of these loving stupid loving drivers. Jesus christ.

first video, looks like a puddle of puke right at the driver side of the car.

Not puke...
If you notice when she stands up she's pulling up and zipping her pants before stumbling all over the highway.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

The Locator posted:

Everyone in that video was being really loving stupid, including the cameraman. The shoulder of an Interstate is never a safe place to stand; you should either stay in your car or get a very long way off the road, preferably somewhere behind a barrier. Standing right where the next car that comes along is going to swerve when the driver realizes there's an obstacle in the middle of the road is particularly dumb.

The motorcyclist trying to direct traffic by standing in the middle of the loving freeway really takes the cake, though. :stonk:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

toplitzin posted:

Not puke...
If you notice when she stands up she's pulling up and zipping her pants before stumbling all over the highway.

*blinks*

*sigh*

why couldnt that semi have smeared the poo poo out of her? what a stupid gently caress

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Both this woman, and the one in the story I linked are lucky as hell to be alive. What the gently caress...

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

BraveUlysses posted:

*blinks*

*sigh*

why couldnt that semi have smeared the poo poo out of her? what a stupid gently caress

You fuckers thought I was kidding when I said that these people just PISS ON THE loving INTERSTATE.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

InterceptorV8 posted:

You fuckers thought I was kidding when I said that these people just PISS ON THE loving INTERSTATE.

My sis tells a story of her sister in law coming home from somewhere drunk, making the driver pull over on the interstate, and taking a poo poo out in the grass, then complaining about the mosquito bites on her rear end.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003
Is that the same cameraman in both videos?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

The people you share the road with often can't remember they have a physical key: http://wavy.com/2015/04/08/mystery-surrounds-dead-keyless-car-remotes/

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Deeters posted:

The people you share the road with often can't remember they have a physical key: http://wavy.com/2015/04/08/mystery-surrounds-dead-keyless-car-remotes/

quote:

Worlds is okay with the interruption if it is for official testing or military operations.

“It’s protecting America,” Worlds said. “You want to be protected, right? This is our homeland, so we might as well let them do what they got to do.”

"We might as well let them do what they got to do," said Worlds, as the TSA agent fingered his prostate oh-so-gingerly.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Deeters posted:

Kind of terrible, but one guy says that he expects his car to lock when he presses the button. Kind of his fault for not pressing it until he hears the horn bleep, though.

Although when I was still driving my mom's 4Runner when I was younger I got in the habit of just hitting the lock on the door as I exited. Never had an issue with that.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Protocol7 posted:

Kind of terrible, but one guy says that he expects his car to lock when he presses the button. Kind of his fault for not pressing it until he hears the horn bleep, though.

Don't most systems work where one click locks the doors, and two clicks beeps the horn and arms the alarm?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Protocol7 posted:

Although when I was still driving my mom's 4Runner when I was younger I got in the habit of just hitting the lock on the door as I exited. Never had an issue with that.

I can sit and hit lock on my keyfob all day and it will never honk. Flashes the lights though.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Gonna share the road today, its Honda Day and I live on the route between the turnpike and the race track. Already hearing them fart cans. Pretty sure this is the cops' in my town favorite day of the year.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Raluek posted:

Don't most systems work where one click locks the doors, and two clicks beeps the horn and arms the alarm?
Both cars I've had with fobs had configurable settings in the car's UI somewhere whether to honk and how loud. I've never seen the behavior you describe though, one click on lock is all it takes. Unlocking always seems to be one click, driver's door; two clicks, all doors.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's me, I'm the people you share a road with.

Some dude was going like 90kph on the motorway in the middle lane while texting, looking down at his phone for long periods of time. So I got in front of him and applied the brake pedal just enough to put the brake lights on and not actually brake. I could see in my rear view mirror that he got surprised and dropped his phone, and then he got absolutely pissed off at me, started screaming and going through his full repertoire of obscene gestures. Then he sped off at way above the speed limit.

I am a bad person. It was so worth it, though.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

KozmoNaut posted:

Some dude was going like 90kph on the motorway in the middle lane while texting, looking down at his phone for long periods of time. So I got in front of him and applied the brake pedal just enough to put the brake lights on and not actually brake. I could see in my rear view mirror that he got surprised and dropped his phone, and then he got absolutely pissed off at me, started screaming and going through his full repertoire of obscene gestures. Then he sped off at way above the speed limit.

You really are.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

PCOS Bill posted:

You really are.
Not really.

I mean, if you cut him off and did this 10 feet off his front bumper, poo poo yes. If you slowed down (you specified you didn't, but ...), yes.

But the dickhole was texting and you used legitimate signal lights to get his attention back on the road? No, you're really not the bad guy in that story.

Cue: the usual suspects replying that I don't know what the gently caress I'm talking about.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

david_a posted:

Both cars I've had with fobs had configurable settings in the car's UI somewhere whether to honk and how loud. I've never seen the behavior you describe though, one click on lock is all it takes. Unlocking always seems to be one click, driver's door; two clicks, all doors.

Both my mom's '03 Odyssey and my dad's '04 Ranger behave that way :shobon:

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

KozmoNaut posted:

feh.

Try that next to them with an air horn.

Mucho laughs.

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

StormDrain posted:

What's the ratio of cars with the fuel filler on drivers vs. passenger side? I would bet the odds are you drive a car with the filler on the drivers side.

Best fuel filler location, 1964 Ford Galaxie, dead center below the trunk. Never on the wrong side.

'14 FocusST, passenger side tank.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I passed some lady doing 20 in a 35 the other day with her face buried in her phone (there had been a school zone about a mile back). I slowed down and honked my horn for like a half second before speeding back up. Then I hear her horn blowing for like 15 seconds as she speed up next to me going like 50, middle finger extended, shouting (presumably) obscenities through her closed window, before she had to slam on her brakes to make the turn into (again presumably) her neighborhood.

Like, sorry I pissed you off that much by making you notice your own bad driving lady, but come the gently caress on.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I passed a guy who was doing 20 in a 35 today, changed lanes to get in front of him about six car lengths up (two lanes each direction), and he laid on his horn and nearly rammed me from behind flying up my rear end.

PCOS Bill fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Apr 12, 2015

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

InterceptorV8 posted:

It wasn't the insterstate, it was just a really large US Highway, but my dad was driving the truck when he went directly over a puppy while the dog's family was having a picnic on the shoulder.

Let me set this up.

We were in Eastern Kentucky on US gently caress if I care, 4 lanes with a median, but still with stop lights every few miles. I was still a trainee, so I was riding shotgun while my dad was driving and explaining how to slip shift while revving high because sometimes the red light fucks you. Anywho, he had reached 6th gear (which is a screaming 20mph) and just started yelling "PUPPY PUPPY PUPPY PUPPY" as he slammed on the brakes.

Up ahead, on the shoulder of the US Highway, a couple of wonderful fat white fucks were taking a picnic or a potty break for the dogs or gently caress if I care, they had their three dogs unleashed and fancy free. Two people grabbed two dogs, but the third bounded into the lane and just wanted to make friends with the first thing he saw and by golly the first thing he saw was a Freightliner. The dog was in the center of the lane, cowered down into the 'please don't kill me' position, and that saved his life. The truck came to a stop, the dog ran out from behind the steer tires, and Dad let loose the air horn at the rear end in a top hat dog owners that decided to take a break on the shoulder without putting puppy on a leash.

edit: and there was 4 wheeler traffic so it's not like he could swerve to miss the puppy. That said, proper truck driving protocol for 'obstacle in the road' is to hit the brakes and hope for the best, because swerving will just flip the trailers and hit what you were trying to miss in the first place.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Apr 12, 2015

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

And now imagine what it's like for train drivers when there's something (or someone) on the tracks.

I've talked to a guy who drives freight trains and hit a guy who was committing suicide by train. He said that the absolute worst thing about hitting a person is that there isn't even the slightest imperceptible bump when you hit. All you can do is jam the brakes hard, look away and count the seconds before you dare look again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

:stonk:
Don't you at least hear something?

Though I suppose the sound of someone turning inside out and bitesize will get lost against the gentle backdrop of a braking freight train.