Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

JerryLee posted:

Didn't the guy who threatened to sexually assault Helene Bergeot also get a lifetime ban?

He did but it got dialed down to a 6 month suspension for some reason. His name is Lucas Florent if you're curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Just caught up on the coverage. Fun rogue decks, a great final match, and some delicious drama. That's all I ask for right now.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Eddie Whitson posted:

It looks like another player got DQ'd at the Pro Tour too. Stephen Speck presented a 53 card deck, and a 22 card sideboard. Tom Martell tweeted "I was shocked to learn that the guy who had 5+ turn 1 Amulet kills at GP Vancouver was DQ'd today for palming his starting 7. Shocked!"

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

BattleCake posted:

He did but it got dialed down to a 6 month suspension for some reason. His name is Lucas Florent if you're curious.

The hell?

I mean, if they really wanted to walk it back from lifetime, then I guess I wouldn't complain too much about it being, like, five years.

Six months is way too short. That's basically saying that threats of sexual assault are a lesser deal than leaking the New Phyrexia godbook.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Man I'm watching the draft replays on youtube and holy hell has Bill Jensen lost weight or what?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
On the plus side the guy at my LGS says he's getting a ton of MM15 and selling it at MSRP.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

On the plus side the guy at my LGS says he's getting a ton of MM15 and selling it at MSRP.

Im pretty sure that MM15 will be easy to get at msrp.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Gridlocked posted:

Man I'm watching the draft replays on youtube and holy hell has Bill Jensen lost weight or what?

Huey is definitely down a lot of pounds since 2 or 3 years ago. First he crushes the magic scene, then weight loss. It's still weird seeing pictures of chubby LSV now.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
I'm partial to old pics of Fat Paul Cheon

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Quick little flavor play, but my opponent played Lose Calm on my dude, who I protected by playing Center Soul. It was a pretty cool flavor interaction there.

It's like in the end, his training prevailed and he remained calm by meditating or something.

I thought it was pretty cool :shobon:

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
So a year after I sell off most of my physical collection to play MTGO due to 15 years of no LGS, a new LGS opens like 75 yards from my front door.

The owner is real enthusiastic, and I want there to be a nice local space to play games so I guess I'm back in physical Magic.

Goodbye Wallet, I hardly knew ye.

EDIT: are there any warning signals about bad LGS management I should look out for and/or maybe correct?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Pyronic posted:

So a year after I sell off most of my physical collection to play MTGO due to 15 years of no LGS, a new LGS opens like 75 yards from my front door.

The owner is real enthusiastic, and I want there to be a nice local space to play games so I guess I'm back in physical Magic.

Goodbye Wallet, I hardly knew ye.

EDIT: are there any warning signals about bad LGS management I should look out for and/or maybe correct?

Allowing Grogs to run the store.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

If they cook the books for cards, don't reinforce usage of a bar of soap, or otherwise, yes, let assholes run rampant.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

If he uses a gun to murder some number of customers, but you have to decide at what number you're uncomfortable with. For me it's 9.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Alaan posted:

Huey is definitely down a lot of pounds since 2 or 3 years ago. First he crushes the magic scene, then weight loss. It's still weird seeing pictures of chubby LSV now.

I think the all time biggest pro transformation that I've seen has to go to Zvi. He might not have lost more weight than someone like LSV, I don't know, but he went all the way to looking like a normal-weight person, whereas LSV doesn't strike me as quite there yet.

Not to poo poo on anyone for losing any amount of weight, of course. It's awesome.

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001
Clearly you've never seen any early Finkel.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

JerryLee posted:

I think the all time biggest pro transformation that I've seen has to go to Zvi. He might not have lost more weight than someone like LSV, I don't know, but he went all the way to looking like a normal-weight person, whereas LSV doesn't strike me as quite there yet.

Not to poo poo on anyone for losing any amount of weight, of course. It's awesome.

I think a lot of those guys do the same thing we all do: hit 30 and realize that as you age, you feel much more like crap when you're out of shape.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

You are really proud of that post you made

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Pyronic posted:

Changing the rules of sanctioned tournaments, especially with regards to prizes. There was an LGS a friend of mine played at after he moved which was very popular, but I found out for their sanctioned drafts they were re-drafting the rares for wins; as in after the draft is done they insist everyone hands their rares over and then the winner gets first pick. For 8-16 man sealed they did the same kind of thing but the winner got say X picks, then the 2nd place guy got X-1 down the line.

I heard from another friend who went there a few times that one day they were holding a Games Day event and were running multiple staggered 8 man drafts that you had to sign up for every 45min or so (in an attempt to get a few pods in one day and keep the store space usage at a good level, actually a rather good idea IMO). My friend drafted what he decided was a rather mediocre deck but managed to pull a decent money off colour planeswalker in his 3rd pack which he slammed for the cash. He lost his first round before the next draft pod was due to fire and asked if he could sign up for it, the owners said yes there is 2 spots left and he got one; so he officially dropped the first pod, pocketed his pod 1 cards and began to draft in pod 2. In round 2 of pod 2 where he was still doing badly but didn't have a reason to drop one of the owners/judges came over to him and said, although he noted politely, "When you are done with this match please hand your rares from pod 1 over and come and do the prize draft quickly." My friend refused because he dropped the event and therefore got to keep whatever product he acquired in the process, apparently the owners and regulars got really lovely because he had already told a few people he pulled a decent value walker in it. He continued to refuse and pointed out that as a sanctioned tournament they should be doing sanctioned prize formats anyway, apparently they ended up telling him rudely that's not how THEY do things HERE and that if he didn't like it he wasn't welcome. So he said he will drop pod 2 as well and left. Found out later they didn't drop him from pod 2 but just put him as 0-2'd on his matches so his opponents got better breakers for their Planeswalker Points.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Gridlocked posted:

Changing the rules of sanctioned tournaments, especially with regards to prizes. There was an LGS a friend of mine played at after he moved which was very popular, but I found out for their sanctioned drafts they were re-drafting the rares for wins; as in after the draft is done they insist everyone hands their rares over and then the winner gets first pick. For 8-16 man sealed they did the same kind of thing but the winner got say X picks, then the 2nd place guy got X-1 down the line.

I heard from another friend who went there a few times that one day they were holding a Games Day event and were running multiple staggered 8 man drafts that you had to sign up for every 45min or so (in an attempt to get a few pods in one day and keep the store space usage at a good level, actually a rather good idea IMO). My friend drafted what he decided was a rather mediocre deck but managed to pull a decent money off colour planeswalker in his 3rd pack which he slammed for the cash. He lost his first round before the next draft pod was due to fire and asked if he could sign up for it, the owners said yes there is 2 spots left and he got one; so he officially dropped the first pod, pocketed his pod 1 cards and began to draft in pod 2. In round 2 of pod 2 where he was still doing badly but didn't have a reason to drop one of the owners/judges came over to him and said, although he noted politely, "When you are done with this match please hand your rares from pod 1 over and come and do the prize draft quickly." My friend refused because he dropped the event and therefore got to keep whatever product he acquired in the process, apparently the owners and regulars got really lovely because he had already told a few people he pulled a decent value walker in it. He continued to refuse and pointed out that as a sanctioned tournament they should be doing sanctioned prize formats anyway, apparently they ended up telling him rudely that's not how THEY do things HERE and that if he didn't like it he wasn't welcome. So he said he will drop pod 2 as well and left. Found out later they didn't drop him from pod 2 but just put him as 0-2'd on his matches so his opponents got better breakers for their Planeswalker Points.

Jeez

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Little bit of a misquote there I say "another friend" what I mean is "another guy I played some Magic with at my LGS".

This was a few years ago mind.

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

JerryLee posted:

The hell?

I mean, if they really wanted to walk it back from lifetime, then I guess I wouldn't complain too much about it being, like, five years.

Six months is way too short. That's basically saying that threats of sexual assault are a lesser deal than leaking the New Phyrexia godbook.

Yeah I remember thinking about how stupid that move is when I heard about it. The worst part is as far as I'm aware, they never talked about why they decided to walk it back, no public announcement or anything, it just kinda quietly happened. Also, when asked for comment, it was revealed that Helene Bergeot had not had any say in the decision to reduce his ban and also had been unaware of it until the question-asker brought it up, IIRC.

I didn't really follow up or anything so maybe something changed or more information came to light since then but just seems like a shitshow to me.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
Atarka's Command did some serious work for me at FNM tonight. Went 4-0 in Standard and drafted my first pretty good draft deck, going 3-0 with G/W Bolster stuff. Really enjoying G/RDW.

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde
Alright so Shahar Shenhar gets a 2nd rules violation for a rules violation that's definitely not obvious (at least to me watching at home without thinking about it):

Judge: You didn't bolster when you cast Abzan Advantage.
Shahar: Hmm. Yes, I didnt have a creature.
Judge: You killed the Illusionary gains?
Shahar: Yep.
Judge: Well, you get back your creature, and you were supposed to bolster it before the end of resolution.
Shahar: Oh.
Shahar's opponent: Missed this one too.

Or the other play of how Illusionary Gains and new Sidsi works.

Round 3 Feature Match: (5) Ari Lax vs. Adrian Sullivan
He was content to build up his board through Lax's Illusory Gains, so he played out Sunscorch Regent for Lax and held back. Lax looted with his Scribe and sent in his borrowed Regent. Of course, Sullivan still had Dragon Hunter in play, and it was all too happy to blunt the attack. Sullivan returned fire with his Sunstriker and put Lax on a perilously low life total. Then he summoned Sidisi, Undead Vizier, and that's when things got complicated.

The Vizier entered play and two abilities triggered—Sidisi's exploit trigger and the Illusory Gains trigger. Active player's ability goes onto the stack first, so Illusory Gains's ability ended up on top and resolved first, switching Sidisi's controller. Next, the exploit trigger resolved. Sullivan sacrificed his Sultai Emissary to get a manifest and swap Sidisi back to his side.

Here is Lax interrupted him.

"Since you exploited.... I think that means I get to tutor." They confirmed with a judge. It was as he said. Sidisi's second ability triggers when she exploits, regardless of who controls her.

----
Yes I think they both got warnings for both.

logis fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Apr 11, 2015

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

logis posted:

Alright so Shahar Shenhar gets a 2nd rules violation for a rules violation that's definitely not obvious (at least to me):

Judge: You didn't bolster when you cast Abzan Advantage.
Shahar: Hmm. Yes, I didnt have a creature.
Judge: You killed the Illusionary gains?
Shahar: Yep.
Judge: Well, you get back your creature, and you were supposed to bolster it before the end of resolution.
Shahar: Oh.
Shahar's opponent: Missed this one too.

Did Jelger get a warning for this too? Both got one for missing how the bolster trick worked (to Shahar's advantage).

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Gridlocked posted:

Oh I agree, though honestly I don't think the table judge was particularly excited or thrilled that he had to reflex hand out a ruling; in fact I think he was likely doing so because being the last feature match, on turns with everyone watching he was making sure he didn't screw up. And as I said in a LGS FNM match it would have been "Oh it was this one" "Yeah I saw saw you put it down, all good" in this case he had to do it by the book.

Really it was one of those "for want of a nail" situations. Had his oppoent spoken up faster it may have been ok, had Pat left the card to the side, had he twirled it around as he put it down; really just a series of unfortunate events in the wrong place at the wrong time.

He had to reveal the card. I posted on Tumblr as well, but IMO the least he could have done was to place it on his cards and IMMEDIATELY say "It's the top one, I will reveal it right now" or something to that effect while he put the rest of the cards in their place. It still isn't okay, but it makes it clear that it isn't actually in his hand. Obviously, he should have just set it aside and revealed it before it touched the rest.

The Judges' decision was fine as it is. Drawing Extra Cards carries a Game Loss penalty, with certain criteria for that to be downgraded to a Warning. The criteria weren't met, so the Judges couldn't downgrade. Even if it were a Game Rule Violation, which carries a Warning, it would still be upgraded to a Game Loss, as per the IPG, since it is an error that the opponent cannot verify the legality of.

Sucks for Chapin, I understand why mistakes like that are made, and he was right to appeal, but like the commentators said, the rules don't change because you're on camera. Similarly, rules enforcement at FNM is much different than even a GPT, it's not even a valid comparison.

And, speaking for myself, I wouldn't be happy to give him a Game Loss. I don't think any Judge goes to any tournament thinking "gently caress yeah these scrubs are gonna suck so bad, I'm gonna be handing out so many penalties". Even with known "suspicious" people (2Explores etc), we can't say "It would be a Warning, but you're a scumbag so we're upgrading it to a Game Loss" or something.

EDIT: About the Shenhar thing.
Yeah, his opponent could get a Warning, Game Rule Violation has a note about the opponent under Additional Remedy.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Apr 11, 2015

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Serperoth posted:

He had to reveal the card. I posted on Tumblr as well, but IMO the least he could have done was to place it on his cards and IMMEDIATELY say "It's the top one, I will reveal it right now" or something to that effect while he put the rest of the cards in their place. It still isn't okay, but it makes it clear that it isn't actually in his hand. Obviously, he should have just set it aside and revealed it before it touched the rest.

The Judges' decision was fine as it is. Drawing Extra Cards carries a Game Loss penalty, with certain criteria for that to be downgraded to a Warning. The criteria weren't met, so the Judges couldn't downgrade. Even if it were a Game Rule Violation, which carries a Warning, it would still be upgraded to a Game Loss, as per the IPG, since it is an error that the opponent cannot verify the legality of.

Sucks for Chapin, I understand why mistakes like that are made, and he was right to appeal, but like the commentators said, the rules don't change because you're on camera. Similarly, rules enforcement at FNM is much different than even a GPT, it's not even a valid comparison.

And, speaking for myself, I wouldn't be happy to give him a Game Loss. I don't think any Judge goes to any tournament thinking "gently caress yeah these scrubs are gonna suck so bad, I'm gonna be handing out so many penalties". Even with known "suspicious" people (2Explores etc), we can't say "It would be a Warning, but you're a scumbag so we're upgrading it to a Game Loss" or something.

EDIT: About the Shenhar thing.
Yeah, his opponent could get a Warning, Game Rule Violation has a note about the opponent under Additional Remedy.

I agree entirely. Thats what I was saying. It was just an unfortunate series of events in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Gridlocked posted:

It was just an unfortunate series of events in the wrong place at the wrong time.

That can be said for all offenses. :v: Props to Chapin though for being an adult about it. Did his appeal, and in the end he asked "Is there anything more I can do/say?". When the answer was no, he extended the hand, didn't get pissy or anything. Class act.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Everything reversed, lands in front of spells

adrian sullivan has been doing this for 20 years why hasn't he banned from magic yet

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Serperoth posted:

That can be said for all offenses. :v: Props to Chapin though for being an adult about it. Did his appeal, and in the end he asked "Is there anything more I can do/say?". When the answer was no, he extended the hand, didn't get pissy or anything. Class act.

Well all offences that aren't blatant cheating.

Chapins always been a class act like that eh. Still they didn't need to televise the drat thing, that's what annoys me the most about it. We didn't need to see 10mins of no play, arguing with judges and awkward tension; let alone have to listen to Randy and Marshal get more annoyed as time went on and adding colourful comments to the mix.

Chapin behaved as professionally as one can in the event. WOTC production team behaved like the kids watching the schoolyard fight.

Elyv posted:

Everything reversed, lands in front of spells

adrian sullivan has been doing this for 20 years why hasn't he banned from magic yet

There's nothing wrong with it as long as its clear who controls what and where the board state is currently at. He plays upside down too.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Between rounds 10 & 11 Buehler(?) pretty much said they hosed up on the coverage there.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Day 2 has started over here.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

So Chapin is 7-4 so far. Does he have Top8 hopes?

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I think 12-3-1 is the usual cut but he may not be 100% out since his day 1 tie breaks should be good.

redux
Apr 23, 2008
Pretty rare to see Owen make 2 mistakes in a single game.

First he missed the trample on his Bloodfire Expert, which ended up not mattering. However, later in the game Mihara cast Epic Confrontation on his Feral Krushok to kill the Expert, and then attacked with it into Owen's 2/2 with only a forest up. Since it had just fought, it had 5 damage on it and would have died on a block. Owen was on the back foot from losing two of his best creatures, but I think that would have given him a much better chance of getting into the game.

(This was round 11 feature.)

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account
Yesterday I ran into an old friend of mine. And he let me raid his old magic cards. No Power 9 snagged but some neat old cards to throw in a binder.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Adrian Sullivan's board irrationally pisses me off.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
EFro vs Adrian Sullivan playing Jeskai Tokens vs UB Control. These guys are such fluid players, it's so pleasant to watch.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Adrian Sullivan playing lands in front and all permanents facing his opponent, ultimate troll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
That's how he always plays. I think Randy was saying on stream that it's how he learned to play as a kid.

• Locked thread