Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

ashez2ashes posted:

What does everyone think of growing cucumbers on a lattice? I'm going to build one and I'm debating if I should use the 'upside down V' version of the straight up version. I tried tying up a couple to stakes last year as an experiment and that didn't go that well.

I had very good luck with putting two posts in the ground and stringing some scrap hogwire fencing between them. The cucumbers were extremely productive and pretty much covered the entire fence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ashez2ashes posted:

What does everyone think of growing cucumbers on a lattice? I'm going to build one and I'm debating if I should use the 'upside down V' version of the straight up version. I tried tying up a couple to stakes last year as an experiment and that didn't go that well.

Totally depends on what kind of cukes you're growing.

I grow several vine varieties on welded wire in the middle of the row. I have to "train" them up especially early in the season but it works out just fine, other than the occasional one that grows through the wire and looks weird.

Shifty Pony posted:

I had very good luck with putting two posts in the ground and stringing some scrap hogwire fencing between them. The cucumbers were extremely productive and pretty much covered the entire fence.

^^^^^

You know what you're talking about. I would use hog panels if I didn't have left over welded wire.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Shifty Pony posted:

One of the guys at work was extolling the virtues of chain link fence hung from a steel cable running between two posts. He said you could support an immense amount of tomato and cucumbers, and could easily push the blooms and small fruit through the fence to maximize their sunlight exposure.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

ashez2ashes posted:

I have a trellis built out of furring strips and a salvaged piece of plastic construction fence with about a 1"x1" grid on it and it works very well for cucumbers. Tends to keep them on one side as well so they don't try to pull their neighbors down.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Micomicona posted:

No, I don't think they're chives--they're not hollow, they bigger and denser. I'd thought they were garlic, but they don't have bulbs. They look more like narrow scallions growing in a bunch, but smell more like garlic. They may be ornamental, they look intentionally planted. Mysterious!

So this is where pictures really help with plant IDs over the internet. But I'll give it one more shot, how about egyptian walking onions?

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth

Shifty Pony posted:

I did this last year. The plants broke some wires and pulled over the end post. It was glorious.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe
I have to rant about how much Gurney's pisses me off sometimes. This is the second time they just have decided to not send stuff in my order for no reason. They are often so slow to ship that they miss the planting window and so they just don't send crap until the fall. It's really frustrating.

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
I got my mushroom plugs yesterday. I don't have logs yet but I stuck a few oyster shroom plugs in my worm bin, just to see what will happen.

I kinda wanna stick some plugs here and there to see what will happen.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Anubis posted:

I have to rant about how much Gurney's pisses me off sometimes. This is the second time they just have decided to not send stuff in my order for no reason. They are often so slow to ship that they miss the planting window and so they just don't send crap until the fall. It's really frustrating.

I've read that this happens a lot with Gurney's and its group of companies, which makes me a bit nervous about buying through them again. (They seem to own or be owned along with Spring Hill and some other nurseries.) I received my stuff on time and it all seemed okay... Barring the persimmon trees, but I won't know until the dormancy period passes. I did not have a bad experience, but there are enough bad reviews out there that I'm reluctant to use them again.

I guess quasi-related, I've had a really good run with Companion Plants. One of the mountain mint plants they sent me last year was broken in transit and died a couple days after I signed for it, but the proprietor answered my email really quickly and shipped me a nice replacement at no cost. They also have some really interesting stuff. I've had good luck with Burpee's customer service, but not always good luck with their actual live plants.

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

I will say that all of the live plants that I've received from Gurneys have been very healthy. The blueberry plants I received last year arrived with green leaves, and the gooseberry bushes I just bought sprouted leaves within a week of being put in a pot. Everything arrives really well packaged too (much better than Burpee, which is the other online plant place I've bought from).

They have a terrible customer service phone line though.

ashez2ashes fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 11, 2015

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
I'm a novice gardener so make of this what you will, but I've had varied success with Gurneys. This year I ordered six pepper plants, three flowers, and three tomatoes. The pepper plant arrived alive and healthy, while one of the flowers was pretty weak-looking and later died. The tomatoes were all dead on arrival - brown, dry, and falling over. I tried planting them but it was hopeless. Maybe they are better with shipping more established plants, but so far I've found their service to be iffy.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
I order seed from Gurney's regularly and it's always been fine. (Their rainbow carrot blend is my exclusive go-to now. It's an even mix, and it grows great for me. I ordered 5 packets this year. :j:) My blackberries came from them and they are absolute bosses now in their second season. I ordered some Red Lake currant saplings this year and although they were bare root sticks, they have leafed out nicely now. I've never ordered their vegetable plants.

For seed variety beyond the common stuff, I highly recommend Rareseed. They're even local-ish for me.

Burgess is total crap. Total crap. The absolute only thing I am happy with that I ordered from Burgess a few years ago were two little bitty wisterias for $1.99 each. They have consumed a fence section now, but wisteria are really, really tough (and grow aggressively.) Don't be tempted by their prices; sometimes you really do get what you pay for. (But if you're patient, you will save a bundle on wisteria. Daylilies are probably okay from them too, on account of them also being tough as nails. Also, if anyone's in the STL area, I always have daylilies to spare. I thin a 5 gal bucket's worth every year. Also Prairie False Indigo. Those are amazing for garbage soil, no water, and tons of relentless summer sun.)

I have bought lots of bulbs and iris type things from Spring Hill over the years and have never had an issue. I think that's where I got my Maypop, but I don't super remember anymore... I also order flower bulbs from Breck's regularly. (I have over a thousand bulbs in the yard, easily.)

Speaking of "where the hell are my plants"... I've been patiently waiting for Jung's to ship my potatoes and shallots. The hell Jungs?! I usually love them. The seed potatoes are for a second crop to be sown in late July or so, but still. I'd like to have them now, for insurance, in case my experiment in sowing potatoes in the fall fails. (So far, 3 have emerged. Out of 45. Forty five. I know it's early still, but I'd like to have some spares just in case.) But seriously on the shallots.

My garlics are all about a foot tall now. I picked up a handful of mystery garlic/onion bulbulles that were on the ground at the botanical gardens last year after they did the allium harvest in the home garden section. I don't know exactly what they are, but I planted them like garlic in the fall, and they too are growing like champs. I don't think they're actually garlic, because they have each sprouted 3-4 shoots instead of just one, but who knows. ;) I have zero shame in scavenging mystery plants. In fact, along with some new Darwin hybrid tulips that I planted last fall, an "oops" from Breck's mis-packing has grown. (This is only the second time this has happened to me. I got a sack of Stargazer lilies a couple years ago, and one of them was actually a yellow Asiatic lily. It turned out to be my husband's favorite; now I know. I'm very flexible with my flower beds.) The leaves look tulip-ish, but it's way behind the rest and variegated green and purple. I'm kind of excited. :D

Tsinava, and anyone else, please keep updating about your mushrooms. We love mushrooms, and have talked about growing plugs in logs, or in detritus under the shade of other garden plants, and such. I would love to keep reading about how that goes for folks. Has anyone gotten one of those boxed kits? How'd that go?

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

I've got my garden mostly planted, except stuff that critters keep running off with and my long beans, which I should plant soon because it looks like the weather will be mostly warm from now till October. I've had some high winds (25+ mph) in the last week and more are coming. The winds beat up my peppers and killed 3 tomato plants, I replaced them with 6 Roma and 1 Ace 55. A lot of my tomatoes are setting fruit, even in the wind So I'm hoping I'll start harvesting mid-May. I have way too many tomatoes now, good thing we got a pressure canner for Christmas!

I've done some silly things like putting mantises and earthworms into my garden. The mantises eat whatever they can but they neither crowd out unwanted predators (black widows) nor protect my plants from pests. But they look cool and I saw less roaches last year so I did it again. As for the worms, I live in the desert, I don't have any turf and the nearest lawn is 2 houses down. There is no natural way for a worm to get to my garden. One local author insists that they just come, but she also sprays casting tea on everything so that *might* be a clue. I tried putting some red worms in 2 years ago, but after planting them I never saw them again. This year I think I will have more luck. Last year, I had a big chunk of my backyard filled with compost. I over watered, and my wife spread it too thin, so it didn't work out so well. This year we made it into 4 smaller raised beds, now they are probably 16-18" deep with the pathways being 4" deep on top of hardpan clay. I think with all that compost and better watering worms can survive, especially right under the beds. As for the worms themselves I bought a bunch of bait and feeder worms, mostly night-crawlers and some packages of smaller worms. Dunno if it will improve soil quality, but its fun finding them sill alive.

As for seed companies I stick to Burpee and Johhny's for online ordering. I've used Baker Creek (rareseeds.com) before, but I've found the quality of the varieties they sell to be inconsistent at best. Johnny's is excellent, lots of detailed information on each variety whether organic or conventional. Probably the most scientific of the catalogs that offer a lot of organic seed. (IDGAF about organic personally)
Burpee online seeds have always been high quality for me. They aren't like display seeds, which have been in heat/cold/rain. The seed packets are green print on white, and I can get varieties I can't get locally. Most of these were my best producers last fall, or are highly recommended locally. It's funny that Burpee doesn't market them better, but I guess the big stores want the same seeds everywhere. There used to be one tomato I absolutely would get from Baker, Stupice, but Burpee has it now.

AxeBreaker fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Apr 12, 2015

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

mrmcd posted:

How cold does it get? Freezing will kill them, but temperatures around 4-5C (40F) they are fine, though they get kinda grumpy and stop producing around that temperature.

Otherwise a sunny window should be ok, although if you can get a greenhouse or enclosed sun porch that would be a lot better. I find they need LOTS of sun to produce abundantly.

Otherwise I'd just go for if it you can get a seed packet. They are not rare at all and pretty easy to grow from seed. I just let mine die every year and then use the seeds from that year to grown the next generation every spring. The extra peppers I sun dry on a window or warm spot and use them in cooking during the winter for spice.

Not quite freezing, I'm going to put them up on the window and see how it goes. I mean, worst case I'm out like $1.30 for the seeds (bought an extra packet for sping). Thanks for the advice!

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Not quite freezing, I'm going to put them up on the window and see how it goes. I mean, worst case I'm out like $1.30 for the seeds (bought an extra packet for sping). Thanks for the advice!

I've seen window pepper plants before, they just don't get very big and might not produce much fruit. You probably won't even need the whole seed packet either if you just want one or two plants.

Take two or three dixie cups and poke some holes in the bottom. Put some potting soil in, sprinkle 3-4 seeds per cup, and cover with soil at whatever depth the packet says. Put the cups into a tray and soak the soil and let the excess water drain out the bottom. (you can also use starter peat pellets if you prefer.) Then cover the cups with cling wrap and put them somewhere warm, like near a radiator, because they won't germinate in cold soil. Once the seeds germinate and poke through the top, remove the cling wrap and set them in the sunniest part of your house.

After they are a few inches tall and have 2-3 sets of true leaves, thin them (if more than one germinated per cup) and transplant them to your pot. I have thinned plants be gently pulling their roots apart from the starter cups and replanting, but if that's too much trouble just clip the plants you don't want.

Also once flowers emerge if it's indoors you might need to tickle the flowers to fertilize them.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
:allears: My sorrel is alive, mache volunteers are up, and I think at least one patch of wild ginger made it. Not sure if my mayapples pulled through or not. Last year was my first attempt at cultivating them. I got some horseradish sprouting, too.

Of the things I ordered from Gurneys... The persimmon saplings are starting to come out of dormancy, and the pawpaw is hanging in there despite an unanticipated night at 32F. So far my helleborus plants are looking good. Haven't seen much out of the spiderworts or toad lilies at this time, but that certainly doesn't mean they are dead, just not established yet.

I dug up a lot of potatoes we failed to get out last year. Most of them were still in good condition, excepting those within three inches of the tower's exterior. I guess the lesson here is don't fail to harvest all of your potatoes like a dumbass, or at least make sure you get the ones at risk of freezing. Otherwise they become pulp.

The real bad news is that we didn't check on the seedlings for two or three days, and most of them dried up. I still have plenty of seeds and time before the last frost date, but I am annoyed at myself.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Micomicona posted:

No, I don't think they're chives--they're not hollow, they bigger and denser. I'd thought they were garlic, but they don't have bulbs. They look more like narrow scallions growing in a bunch, but smell more like garlic. They may be ornamental, they look intentionally planted. Mysterious!

If they look ornamental but smell like garlic, it's probably 'society garlic'. It's a popular ornamental plant because it's pretty low-maintenance and drought-resistant. Also they may or may not keep vampires out.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Mizufusion posted:

If they look ornamental but smell like garlic, it's probably 'society garlic'. It's a popular ornamental plant because it's pretty low-maintenance and drought-resistant. Also they may or may not keep vampires out.

Oh man they have those ALL OVER the place in Southern California. Apparently someone in the state DOT decided it was the go-to plant for bioswales and now every time I visit my parents I can't escape the smell. It's like a mixture of funky garlic and old weed, just randomly wafting by in the breeze.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."
e: solved!

Srebrenica Surprise fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 19, 2015

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
If you think it's gonna get real warm, slip a pen or pencil under the clear cover to permit it to vent a bit while you're away.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Planted some plants today on my patio. Cilantro, basil, oregeno, chives, kale, ceasar lettuce, peas, beans, beets, sweet onions.

Planning on doing more stuff next month when the time is right with peppers, sweet onions, brussel sprouts, squash, zuchinni, cukes in the community plot. Than in the big huge plot we have doing a bunch of sweet corn and potato, possibly beats.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

My tomatillos are getting disturbingly large already.

I'm scared :ohdear:

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Well the wind is getting busy beating up mine, and my other poor plants, especially the peppers.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

Shifty Pony posted:

My tomatillos are getting disturbingly large already.

I'm scared :ohdear:

Yeah. Mine are by far the biggest thing in the seed tray. They grow crazy fast. (I did this freak out last year, but all ended up fine.) ;)

I'm repotting the larger stuff in my seed trays this morning. Tomatillos, and most of the tomatoes. The peppers are still a reasonable size. I'll crowd them together in a couple window boxes, and keep them inside under lights still. It's much more room for their roots than the trays, but they won't have time to get big enough for the roots to become entangled. (About a month until I move things outside.)

More potatoes have sprouted! I'm breathing easier now and hoping for a good success rate. If this ends up well, I'll plant my potatoes in the fall from now on.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
What's the advantage of starting your taters in the fall?

e: I'm still a tater newbie, I'm not sure if I've heard of treating them the same as garlic.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
/\/\

You're not "supposed" to plant them in the fall. But after two years of so many volunteer potato plants coming up in the spring from scraps or root pieces or whatever left in the soil from the fall harvest, I just figured I'd give it a go. I'm trying a thing! :j: They're obviously hardy, and need a cold/dormant phase to grow anyway (like say, winter in the ground.) Provided it works well (and things are looking up--I was just out there and there are more than a dozen now! Almost all of the purples are up, and there are a couple reds and yukons now too), I figured the advantages are this:

--one less thing on the early spring to-do list
--I don't have to wait on the weather to cooperate to plant them (like I do in the spring)
--they may get an earlier jump on the season since they're already ready and waiting in the ground to grow when conditions are right for them (as opposed to waiting on my rear end to plant them)
--aaaand did I mention one less thing on the spring to-do list ;)

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007
Say, is there any reason not to harvest and eat fall-planted potatoes as new potatoes now? I've got a few volulnteers in what is to be the Zucchini Zone.

stab stabby
Mar 23, 2009
Has anyone here tried growing grains at home? Is it a completely futile venture?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

stab stabby posted:

Has anyone here tried growing grains at home? Is it a completely futile venture?

I've never even considered it knowing the acearge required for a meaningful harvest.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I mean it should be very easy, you'll just need a lot of space.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yeah....then you just need to figure out how to mill it.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

It begins.

Beginning intensifies :stare:

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Where are you? Mine might as well be the same size as they were from the nursery.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Austin TX. The cherry tomatoes are over three feet high and starting to set fruit as well. I got the beans, spinach,and cucumbers in a bit late so they aren't nearly as impressive as the tomato plants

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
I'm having a weird problem. Some of the stuff I'm growing from seed in the bed will come up then suddenly stop growing. They never develop their second set of leaves even though they look perfectly healthy. Many, I find, actually have the bottom of their stem broken off from the root even though they look perfectly healthy above soil.

Is this normal?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I had that happen with basil and chillis. Turns out it was a combination of low temps and lovely potting mix.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Damping off is sadly really common. Cool, wet conditions and soil with higher pH levels tend to make the perfect bad conditions for fungal infections, which are usually what merc seedlings. You might not be able to do much about temp and moisture levels if you're planting outside, but check your soil's pH. Plenty of ag school extensions will do this for super cheap and they provide really good info. Then you'll have an idea of how to appropriately amend your soil. Some sources recommend various forms of sulfur compounds for amendment, which are sold in hardware stores' garden sections.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
It's in a raised garden with Mel's Mix so I didn't think I'd have a pH issue. Bah.

It might just be because of how weirdly rainy and cloudy it's been for NC the past week or so. It's only happening to a few of them, not enough to actually effect my yield since I'm thinning anyways.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Rurutia posted:

It's in a raised garden with Mel's Mix so I didn't think I'd have a pH issue. Bah.

It might just be because of how weirdly rainy and cloudy it's been for NC the past week or so. It's only happening to a few of them, not enough to actually effect my yield since I'm thinning anyways.

Ah, then you might have a different problem from damping off... Peat moss is pretty acidic (low pH), so it might be causing root burn in your tender seedlings. They need something a little closer to neutral. A little lime can help. I had that problem with peat pellets a couple years ago, so I started using coconut coir instead.

Another possible explanation is insect damage. Various invertebrates will mess your lil starts up. They move in quickly and are totally ruthless. Without knowing your region, it's difficult to guess at what kind of pests you might be subject to.

UMD shows some fairly common eastern US pests; your state university/local agricultural college probably can provide you with more targeted troubleshooting. Most of these schools have pretty drat good online resources or they have extension agents you can visit or call. If you live in New England, the University of Rhode Island has a "master gardener" program with a hotline you can call with questions. It's pretty sweet. I've also taken samples and photos to extension agents in the past to inquire about pests, plant diseases, and unidentified plants. They are immensely knowledgeable and want to share information with everyone.

https://extension.umd.edu/growit/wilt-fall-over-or-cut-soil-line-vegetable-seedlings-and-transplants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Screw hail.