Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

SV's family: a collection of decaying, desiccated bodies, trapped in human-sized mason jars that he lovingly caresses each Friday, unless he's out adopting a new member.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Hahaha, lawyers can't stop feeding trolls. Thank god.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

blarzgh posted:

MAKING THE WORLD A BETTER PLACE

I laughed at this.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

blarzgh posted:

MAKING THE WORLD A BETTER PLACE

Well played.

Gonna assume the sudden drop in posts is due to :fap:

ActusRhesus fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 10, 2015

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

CaptainScraps posted:

Good because our law schools are absolute loving garbage.

HAY!

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Its Friday and I'm checked out so hard.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

blarzgh posted:

Good cause I'm going to damage some remainders.

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!
Well that was a fun five-ish pages. Just set the thread title to "Lawyer & Law School Megathread #12: Don't Go to Law School" already.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Oh right SMU is ok, moneybags. Wesleyan sucks and unt Dallas is worse.

P.s. oh my god my tax bill this year, gently caress.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Apr 10, 2015

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

blarzgh posted:

Is that what the kids are calling it these days?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

blarzgh posted:

Its Friday and I'm so hard I checked out

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Good cause I'm going to damage some remainders.

You stop that right now!

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

:barf:

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Thank god we got the zero L to not go to law school. He almost discovered how cool and awesome our law jobs are.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Thank god we got the zero L to not go to law school. He almost discovered how cool and awesome our law jobs are.

Shhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

osirisisdead posted:

I'm not bigoted. I'm misanthropic

Yeah, I'm a House fan. What of it?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
my law job is the best

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Thanks for the entertainment / advice, dudes.

Peta posted:

Yeah, I'm a House fan. What of it?

I was a misanthrope long before that show was on the air. The best part was the Intro video with that Massive Attack song.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

osirisisdead posted:

I was a misanthrope long before that show was on the air.
So would that make you a misanthripster or a hipanthrope?

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

joat mon posted:

:vince:

ActusRhesus fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 11, 2015

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I almost asked for advice in this thread. Jeez am I glad I read a few pages before doing something as stupid as that!

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

joat mon posted:

More like misgoonthrope. I am also both of those things.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

osirisisdead posted:

*nods solemnly*

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Ogmius815 posted:

I almost asked for advice in this thread. Jeez am I glad I read a few pages before doing something as stupid as that!

We give advice, not affirmation. If you look at it that way, you'll get less upset by the advice. If you can also grant that we have mostly gone to law school, looked for jobs afterwards, and are (again, mostly) neither stupid nor liars, things will go much better. We also have years of pent up invective that we will gleefully heap upon you if you beg for it.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

"I'll take things you can buy for a dollar in the hinterlands, for $100, Alex."

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

osirisisdead posted:

Nice... nice.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

joat mon posted:

We give advice, not affirmation. If you look at it that way, you'll get less upset by the advice. If you can also grant that we have mostly gone to law school, looked for jobs afterwards, and are (again, mostly) neither stupid nor liars, things will go much better. We also have years of pent up invective that we will gleefully heap upon you if you beg for it.

I mean your advice is transparently hyperbolic. A few pages ago you told a guy who had a $15,000 scholarship at Cornell that it wasn't worth it. He also had a $75,000 scholarship to BC; tuition+ at a law school where a solid third of the graduates end up at full time jobs in big law firms (not necessarily "BigLawTM"). It's a bit silly.

Edit: I mean jeez I know a lot of people who went to very low-tier law schools like Brooklyn and St.John's. They aren't exactly in $160,000/yr associate jobs now but they certainly aren't the unemployable wrecks of humanity you claim they should be.

Ogmius815 fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Apr 11, 2015

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
The reason what we tell you and what you believe seem so disparate is because you have chosen to believe that practicing law is something that it is not. You're not going to feel "like a lawyer" or be treated "like a lawyer" when you finally pass the bar. Our lives and social status are the same had we chosen any 50 other professions; the primary difference is that we spend all day working with hyper-aggressive, type-A personalities, and/or people who make the kinds of decisions that wind up needing lawyers to fix them.

Most of you started saying, "I want to be a lawyer, because I love to argue" when you were 13 to justify what an obnoxious sack of poo poo you were, or you said "I want to be a lawyer to help [disenfranchised group" or "I want to do International Law]" when you were 19 to fit in with your skinny-jean pothead/liberal arts major friends because you watched a bunch of Anthony Bordain, and caring was cool.

9 times out of 10, the people who want to "become a lawyer" want to do so for the wrong reasons, and don't really understand the life they're buying for themselves. This is not a world where if you argue well enough you will always get what you want. This is a world where "Being Right" about anything means jack loving poo poo. Being understood and trusted and liked and respected means 1000X more. And you can't argue those things out of people, you have to earn them by being diligent, hard working, compassionate and considerate, kind, respectful, reverent and deferential. In other words, the opposite of "right."

People who "Want to go to law school" think that if they do, they'll never lose an argument again, and they will be the rightest and the bestest forever and always get their way; gently caress you, you're wrong, dad!

Oh, and its the most expensive mistake you'll ever make.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
New Avatar from my Secret Admirer!!!

Edit: I'm the Bear Elf

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I wanna say that's the third av AR has bought you.

I wanted to be a lawyer because I got a useless liberal arts masters degree and was working on my phd when I realized I wanted to eat and pay rent.

I never met a lawyer until law school. Had no clue what I was getting in to.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

blarzgh posted:

Most of you started saying, "I want to be a lawyer, because I love to argue" when you were 13 to justify what an obnoxious sack of poo poo you were, or you said "I want to be a lawyer to help [disenfranchised group" or "I want to do International Law]" when you were 19 to fit in with your skinny-jean pothead/liberal arts major friends because you watched a bunch of Anthony Bordain, and caring was cool.

9 times out of 10, the people who want to "become a lawyer" want to do so for the wrong reasons, and don't really understand the life they're buying for themselves.

Ogmius is the "I enjoy reading legal documents in my spare time" guy, he might actually be broken enough for legal practice already

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

my law job is the best
patent law is really fun

why is knobbe pronounced ken-obi??

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

So just assume that I can't possibly be talked down by you or anyone in this thread. What's the best way to ensure you end up at the top of your class and get a job?

Answers not accepted: have rich parents, don't go to law school.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Ogmius815 posted:

I mean your advice is transparently hyperbolic. A few pages ago you told a guy who had a $15,000 scholarship at Cornell that it wasn't worth it. He also had a $75,000 scholarship to BC; tuition+ at a law school where a solid third of the graduates end up at full time jobs in big law firms (not necessarily "BigLawTM"). It's a bit silly.

Edit: I mean jeez I know a lot of people who went to very low-tier law schools like Brooklyn and St.John's. They aren't exactly in $160,000/yr associate jobs now but they certainly aren't the unemployable wrecks of humanity you claim they should be.

The advice is hyperbolic, but the gist is that no one here giving sincere advice is loving you about. It's a legitimate heads up about the true cost/benefit of going to law school.

A simple Google search about the legal job market would give you the same basic prognosis. You're simply naive if you don't accept it.

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Apr 11, 2015

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Ogmius815 posted:

So just assume that I can't possibly be talked down by you or anyone in this thread. What's the best way to ensure you end up at the top of your class and get a job?

Answers not accepted: have rich parents, don't go to law school.

use chapstick before you suck your professors off to give them that velvety smoothness they crave

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

I like the new trolls.

I hope some folks read their edgy advice and go to Cornell with a $15,000 scholarship. Nobody would regret that at all!

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I wanna say that's the third av AR has bought you.
We have a special relationship. Don't tell SV.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

blarzgh posted:

We have a special relationship. Don't tell SV.

I thought you and I were forever :(

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

Soothing Vapors posted:

use chapstick before you suck your professors off to give them that velvety smoothness they crave

"I was the first in my class."

"Uh huh."

"I was the first in my class in LAW."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Soothing Vapors posted:

See this is what I mean. This isn't even advice it's just a poo poo post. It makes the claims of "it's just tough love man" seem pretty hollow.

Ogmius815 fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Apr 11, 2015