Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Guess that explains the massive delays in getting 5.1 for my N7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Lblitzer posted:

So apparently Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 devices are being bricked by OTA updates... GOOGLE'D

Samsung, wipe that loving smug grin off your face RIGHT NOW. :newlol:

Bleeding edge (well, sorta) has a price I guess.

/betablowup

Hope LG/Asus/Google have a plan for this fiasco. Lots of angry, angry nerds with old broken devices holding pitchforks. Fun!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

DemonMage posted:

Guess that explains thef massive delays in getting 5.1 for my N7.

Actually, 5.0.2 is bricking the '13 7s and 5.1 is bricking the 5s. The thread on Google's page goes back to last year in December. The Nexus 5 thing is new apparently.

Lollipop seems kind of hosed, really.

There's someone there recommending to try flashing from a factory image and it'll still brick. Some even go through the OTA just like normal with no flashing and it'll brick.

Some even got hit days to weeks after it all updated seemingly fine and it just randomly died. Asus seems aware of it...Google probably not so much.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

There are some really smart people at google, why can't they figure out how to handle os updates half as well as apple?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

RZA Encryption posted:

There are some really smart people at google, why can't they figure out how to handle os updates half as well as apple?

That'd involve some actual QA testing. Nobody wants to do QA testing.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

isndl posted:

That'd involve some actual QA testing. Nobody wants to do QA testing.

Nobody wants to pay for proper QA testing, more like. As someone literally looking for work in the field, I can tell you plenty of people want to be doing it. :v: Seattle area likely doesn't help though.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

The strange thing is the Nexus 6 seems to handle every update just fine. It's like they tested it on that only and said "good to go."

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mnemosyne posted:

I don't think it's so much that people want 24-48 hours of idle time, it's just that they know that if it can last 48 hours on idle, it can probably last through a full 8 hours of me watching videos or playing games when I've been called for jury duty. And still have enough power left that I can get home without it dying. (Living in Baltimore means that you WILL get called for jury duty every 18 months.)

So buy an external battery pack for that one time every 18 months that this is an issue? This it is like the edgest of edge cases.

Like, if you're on Verizon, sure, get a Droid Turbo since there's really no better Android phones there, but importing a variant from Puerto Rico or whatever just because of something that will happen literally once in the lifespan of your phone seems pretty crazy to me.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Reverse Centaur posted:

The strange thing is the Nexus 6 seems to handle every update just fine. It's like they tested it on that only and said "good to go."

Same goes with Nexus 10. Really glad it's made by Samsung, since they know their hardware.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Mnemosyne posted:

I don't think it's so much that people want 24-48 hours of idle time, it's just that they know that if it can last 48 hours on idle, it can probably last through a full 8 hours of me watching videos or playing games when I've been called for jury duty. And still have enough power left that I can get home without it dying. (Living in Baltimore means that you WILL get called for jury duty every 18 months.)

I don't think standby and actual usage time are necessarily that closely connected though - I can easily get two days standby from my G3 (or even my old N4) if I don't mess with them much, but that only translates to like 4 hours screen time (2.5 on the N4)

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Endless Mike posted:

So buy an external battery pack for that one time every 18 months that this is an issue? This it is like the edgest of edge cases.

Like, if you're on Verizon, sure, get a Droid Turbo since there's really no better Android phones there, but importing a variant from Puerto Rico or whatever just because of something that will happen literally once in the lifespan of your phone seems pretty crazy to me.

Wanting your phone to last through the day, whatever that day might bring, is hardly an edge case. The Note, the Maxx/Turbo, the iPhone 6+, and the Z3C will do just that.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Endless Mike posted:

You're assuming that you'll only make use of the extra battery life once or twice in the lifespan of the phone, which seems like a poor assumption to make. Hell, just having that battery life available means you can do things you ordinarily wouldn't because your phone wouldn't last otherwise. Stuck on the bus for two hours on the way home because someone got into an accident? gently caress it, stream some video, why not?

As for importing a Moto Maxx, the longer battery life was only part of the consideration for me (I also wanted the other Motorola features). The markup was minimal and I didn't have to pay tax on it, so really I broke even on the whole thing.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I wouldn't care if the Moto Maxx/Droid Turbo had 12 days of screen on time and a blow job port, it looks like it stepped right out of 2011 and has capacitive buttons. That right there is an automatic "Nope" from me.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

LastInLine posted:

I wouldn't care if the Moto Maxx/Droid Turbo had 12 days of screen on time and a blow job port, it looks like it stepped right out of 2011 and has capacitive buttons. That right there is an automatic "Nope" from me.

The VZW droids are basically the phone version of energy drink cans.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Ihmemies posted:

Same goes with Nexus 10. Really glad it's made by Samsung, since they know their hardware.

Would it be stupid to go Nexus 6 + 10 in 2015? The N6 sounds like a great phone and has the 2k screen I really want, but I'm considering a Windows tablet since no dual OS options seem to have hit the States.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Would it be stupid to go Nexus 6 + 10 in 2015? The N6 sounds like a great phone and has the 2k screen I really want, but I'm considering a Windows tablet since no dual OS options seem to have hit the States.

I've owned an N10 for two years as of next month and loved it, but if I was buying today I'd get a Tab S for 50% more memory and the lighter weight.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

LastInLine posted:

This right here (the last few pages of this thread, not just LastInLine's post) is Android's main strength and main weakness in a nutshell.

Android is my smartphone OS of choice, but I know things like an update bricking your device or having glitches that no one else with the exact same model as you have come with the territory. As unfortunate as it is, it is the tradeoff to choosing a platform as diverse and flexible as Android and it is undoubtedly the platform's biggest weakness.*

As far as I know, no other platform offers you the choice Android does. Big screens, small screens, absolute top of the line or bare minimum, Android has a model for nearly any use case you can imagine. The endless debating in this thread is proof of that. Android's biggest strength is that you can completely change what your priorities are but still take all your apps and settings with you to your next device.

My priorities are battery life, display and software features, so I could not be happier with my Note 4 and Droid Maxx. For some, a pure Android experience is the biggest draw, for others Motorola's/HTC's tweaks take precedence over anything else, others focus purely on hardware. Yet we are all on the same boat, and we can change to a radically different experience if we feel it'd be better for us, that is why I chose Android.

*That's not to say Google shouldn't work towards fixing this issue, and they have been trying to do just that.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Some other goons claim to have no such problems but my N10 mostly performs like garbage despite having basically nothing installed, and I'm not the only person to report that. Loading/switching apps takes a few seconds and interactions sometimes lag up for a second or two (especially the keyboard). I could factory reset it but general reports are that this doesn't help. May be deterioration of the flash memory or something, I don't really know. Also people have quite subjective definitions of "laggy", like there are people who think TouchWiz from a couple of years ago was smooth, so horses for courses and all that. Anyway, I wouldn't recommend buying a N10 at this point. It's also most likely also close to end-of-life in terms of updates, I can't really imagine it'll make it past 5.1 but it has one more in it.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Apr 11, 2015

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Nexus 6 + either a Samsung Tab S or a Windows tablet are your best options. I personally find Windows tablets really really good if you go for the bigger screens and they are awesome for some pc gaming (civ 5 has touchscreen capabilities from what I know). I love my N7 2013 but if I had to have another 10" one like the Asus TF201 I wouldn't choose android again for media, windows is way ahead in that matter in my opinion and as I said, if you like gaming, you can play some nice games too.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Civ 5 is going to be, well, unpleasant on anything weaker than a Surface Pro

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Trip report: tried the S6 and S6 edge in store. The edge is kinda gimmicky and doesn't feel as nice in hand. The S6 looks and feels great. The screen and double click to camera own. Might be tempted to get one when the price drops.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Desk Lamp posted:

This right here (the last few pages of this thread, not just LastInLine's post) is Android's main strength and main weakness in a nutshell.

Android is my smartphone OS of choice, but I know things like an update bricking your device or having glitches that no one else with the exact same model as you have come with the territory. As unfortunate as it is, it is the tradeoff to choosing a platform as diverse and flexible as Android and it is undoubtedly the platform's biggest weakness.*

As far as I know, no other platform offers you the choice Android does. Big screens, small screens, absolute top of the line or bare minimum, Android has a model for nearly any use case you can imagine. The endless debating in this thread is proof of that. Android's biggest strength is that you can completely change what your priorities are but still take all your apps and settings with you to your next device.

My priorities are battery life, display and software features, so I could not be happier with my Note 4 and Droid Maxx. For some, a pure Android experience is the biggest draw, for others Motorola's/HTC's tweaks take precedence over anything else, others focus purely on hardware. Yet we are all on the same boat, and we can change to a radically different experience if we feel it'd be better for us, that is why I chose Android.

*That's not to say Google shouldn't work towards fixing this issue, and they have been trying to do just that.
Quoting because it's 100% correct. I love Android because I like the way it works when I use it and yet find it hilarious in all the ways it breaks. If you look at it as an allegory for life in that everything that makes it good is what makes it bad and all the ways that make it successful constantly work to undermine the experience, it really brings it all into focus.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Eejit posted:

Kinda stuck on what to do. Seems like my options are S6 and suck it up, wait and see if the G4 is worth it, or go phablet with the Nexus 6, but not sure if the less powerful hardware is worth it. Any advice on what seems logical? All considering that I can't really afford not to have something that doesn't go through AT&T.

Get a Nexus 6, the "less powerful hardware" is fine. It really is an awesome phone. People are still recommending a 2013 Moto X, which even at the time had "less powerful hardware" and is still good today.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Why the hell do I keep getting an exclamation point on my wifi signal when I'm on my parents' wifi? Nexus 4 ,running 5.0.1. I googled around, but couldn't find much that helped.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Why the hell do I keep getting an exclamation point on my wifi signal when I'm on my parents' wifi? Nexus 4 ,running 5.0.1. I googled around, but couldn't find much that helped.
Because you cannot reach the internet when connected to it.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Do they have MAC filtering active on their router? That may be it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Guillermus posted:

Do they have MAC filtering active on their router? That may be it.

Definitely no mac filtering, it's secured via wpa2.

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012
I'm not too knowledgeable about phones and ran into a problem recently...
I have an LG optimus D415 phone running Android which was bought from a carrier (t-mobile). I bought an international SIM card from ekit.com for traveling purposes. I have gotten the unlock code for the phone from the carrier tech support and successfully entered it. However when I have the SIM card inserted it only says No SIM card - Searching. Does anyone know why it might not be recognizing the card and what I might be able to do? thanks

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

RZA Encryption posted:

There are some really smart people at google

Are there anymore? It seems like Google X has poached all the talent and the core products are being left to be poo poo up by the C-listers.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
So I need some help because some things got me stumped.

I got a call last night and no matter what I did, the other person couldn't hear me (regular or speaker phone). I then checked other services that use the mic and none of the text to speech or voice commands were working either. I tried one last thing, recording a video, and that worked like a charm. I'm on a droid turbo and as near as I can tell the camera mic is just the mic, the same one used for everything.

I've tried clearing the cache partition, running in safe mode, disabling Bluetooth, checking for debris in the mic port and everything short of a factory reset and nothing seems to be doing the trick. Now before I interrupt more of my vacation to spend time backing up and restoring my phone; am I just a big dumb that can't find a setting somewhere that mutes the mic or tries to force something else to be the primary microphone? All of this stuff worked fine just hours before and the fact that I can still record audio in a video makes me think it isn't a hardware thing.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

LastInLine posted:

I was the same really, but then I couldn't figure out what my actual problem was with the buttons.

Every Android phone I've used has had capacitive buttons. I disabled them for probably a year on my GSIII, but it wasn't life changing or anything.

I'd rather have 12 days of screen time and a blow job. :shrug:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Whizbang posted:

Are there anymore?
Yes.

Whizbang posted:

It seems like Google X has poached all the talent and the core products are being left to be poo poo up by the C-listers.
No it doesn't.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

LastInLine posted:

bold statement

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

TenaciousTomato posted:

bold statement

correct statement :colbert:

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
I really hope google doesn't brick my nexus 7 until I can afford an iPad, android has gotten quite awful lately and it's pretty sad.

Naan Bread
Sep 3, 2011

I was told this is the place to ask about an issue with my android device.

I own a Galaxy S3 and S2 and since wednesday I've been having trouble with mobile data. I'm on T-Mobile UK with an unlimited data plan and it's worked perfectly for over a year as a mobile hotspot (I use it as my home internet).

Basically the data connection drops out anywhere from within a minute to multiple hours, and only turning on/off mobile data resets it and makes it work for another few minutes-hours.

Both phones have the same issue, and I even factory reset the S2 and the problem still persists. I've spoken to T-Mobile but they could only suggest resetting the phone, but I've tried that. They mentioned some masts in the are are being upgraded but apparently have been doing so since November and this has only started happening the last few days.

I've travelled 20 miles or so away from my home and still cannot get a reliable data connection, mobile signal and texting/calling work fine.

My data icon when it's working:

And what happens very soon when it turns off:

Despite it saying it's connected I can't load anything that requires internet.

I'm at a loss goons!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Are you allowed to tether? They might be blocking you

If you have a computer running through it, try pinging a known IP address like 8.8.8.8 (Google's DNS server) and see if it goes through. If it works try setting your network connection to use that as a DNS server. DNS is the worst

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mogomra posted:

Is this where we try to give people battery envy?

That's cute.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

mobby_6kl posted:

That's cute.

You have exactly 1000 unread emails :raise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007