Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Walker is going to be the candidate even though everyone pooh-poohs him every last step of the way and he's going to destroy this country.

If you haven't been following Wisconsin politics then you have no idea what you're in for.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Brannock posted:

Walker is going to be the candidate even though everyone pooh-poohs him every last step of the way and he's going to destroy this country.

If you haven't been following Wisconsin politics then you have no idea what you're in for.

I've been smugly following from MN.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Brannock posted:

Walker is going to be the candidate even though everyone pooh-poohs him every last step of the way and he's going to destroy this country.

If you haven't been following Wisconsin politics then you have no idea what you're in for.

He won't win.

Wisconsin doesn't reflect the electoral college.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Nintendo Kid posted:

It says nothing about industrial sex either.

Herman Cain has a plan that covers all three of these, thankfully

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Zeroisanumber posted:

I've been smugly following from MN.

The Madison weeklies keep running comparison articles of how well Minnesota is doing and how poorly Wisconsin has been doing :negative:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Brannock posted:

The Madison weeklies keep running comparison articles of how well Minnesota is doing and how poorly Wisconsin has been doing :negative:

We know. We read them. We write our own.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Brannock posted:

Walker is going to be the candidate even though everyone pooh-poohs him every last step of the way and he's going to destroy this country.

If you haven't been following Wisconsin politics then you have no idea what you're in for.

misalignedeyes.jpg

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I mean, when you think about it, Walker is just a grown-up Sloth from The Goonies

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Brannock posted:

The Madison weeklies keep running comparison articles of how well Minnesota is doing and how poorly Wisconsin has been doing :negative:

I love this state and man I don't want to live in Viking territory as its already lovely being a Bears fan in WI but MN has some better job opportunities and I may just say gently caress this state :negative:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

MaxxBot posted:

I think Walker has a pretty good chance in the primary because he's basically perfectly walking the fine line between establishment and tea party, he's pretty much the only one who is fully trusted by both groups. I guess Rand Paul sort of fits that bill now that he has gone into pandering overdrive to appeal to the base but I still don't think they fully trust him, and his campaign is probably going to be even more incompetent than Walker's will if what we have seen so far is any indication.

Paul has nobody but the cooks. TeaParty true believers are flocking to get on Cruz control; moderates who are iffy on Bush are in love with Walker. There's simply no room for Rand this year.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

dreffen posted:

I love this state and man I don't want to live in Viking territory as its already lovely being a Bears fan in WI but MN has some better job opportunities and I may just say gently caress this state :negative:

No one in MN gives gently caress one about the Bears.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Here, have a bunch of words on why Ted Cruz has essentially no chance of getting the nomination: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/lets-be-serious-about-ted-cruz-from-the-start-hes-too-extreme-and-too-disliked-to-win/

Love this graphic:

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Zeroisanumber posted:

No one in MN gives gently caress one about the Bears.

Suppose there's always a good chance to bond over mutual dislike for the Packers. :v:

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Cruz control
Cruz missile
Cruz ship

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Mother fuckers:

Article: Transit proposals in Congress threaten projects and jobs, critics say
From: Miami Herald
Date: April 9, 2015

quote:

WASHINGTON

Rail and bus systems across the country could lose nearly half their funding under two proposals in Congress to end federal grants for transit projects.

The legislation, sponsored by Republican Reps. Thomas Massie of Kentucky and Mark Sanford of South Carolina, also could affect more than 750 companies in 39 states that produce rail and bus transit components, including manufacturers in those two states.

According to the American Public Transportation Association, eliminating federal transit funding would put 66 projects at risk.
They include light rail and streetcar projects in Charlotte, N.C.; commuter rail in Fort Worth, Texas; and bus rapid transit in Fresno, Calif.

Transit advocates are pushing lawmakers to continue federal funding for these projects as part of a long-term transportation bill Congress needs to pass this year.

The American Public Transportation Association reported last month that public transit ridership hit 10.8 billion trips last year, the largest in nearly six decades. The group projects that the Sanford and Massie bills would result in a 43 percent reduction in transit systems’ capital funds.

While some conservatives oppose federal funding for transit because of the perception that it benefits only urban areas, Michael Melaniphy, the American Public Transportation Association’s president and CEO, said that rural areas depend on transit systems and transit manufacturing jobs.

In recent years, however, the highway fund has not been able to cover the cost of annual transportation spending because it relies on a per-gallon federal gasoline tax that Congress hasn’t changed since the Clinton administration.

Rather than raise the tax, currently 18.4 cents a gallon on gasoline and 24.4 cents a gallon on diesel fuel, the Sanford and Massie bills would eliminate or phase out the transit funding and redirect it to highways
. The Sanford bill would phase out the funds over five years.

“The bill removes mass transit from the trust fund over a five-year period in order to give mass transit systems time to find and develop dedicated funding sources,” Sanford said in a statement.

While the idea is popular in conservative circles, Sanford and Massie will not have the support of the Republican chairman of the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, of which they’re members.

Rep. Bill Shuster, R-Pa., has publicly said he does not support ending federal support for transit. Nor does Secretary of Transportation Anthony Foxx, who’s testified on Capitol Hill recently in favor of more transit funding.

This sounds too awful to pass but that they can even try is enough to worry me. This country has way the hell too little public transit as is.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I am 100% convinced that Walker is a golem that has been animated purely by Midwestern Republican Values

This but the evil rabbi who formed him had a daughter who, mistaking the ball of clay for her younger brother's play-doh, stuck his early, even mushier form in an Easy-Bake oven while said rabbi was busy writing down the shem to place in his mouth.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
People comparing Walker to Reagan and Bush 2 are right in that they were basically empty-headed ciphers through which corporate interests channeled their sheer awfulness and cynicism, but are forgetting that Reagan and Bush had charisma that could cover up even the most nasty aspects of their pasts and/or careers.

Walker, the human wet napkin, can succeed in Wisconsin because... well it's loving Wisconsin. The local state Democratic apparatus is unable to put forth a single decent candidate against him. But putting him under the scrutiny and performance standards of the national stage? He'll fizzle under the spotlight pretty quickly. Considering the sharp decline going on in WI and none of his promised prosperity materializing, what does he have to run on besides following GOP orthodoxy?

Besides, like Chris Christie, aren't we waiting for the shoe to drop on scandals and investigations going on in the background right now?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Equine Don posted:

Cruz control
Cruz missile
Cruz ship

I still maintain my suggestion for his campaign: Cruz'n USA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI92T48V7oU

Yeah! Woahwoahwoahwoahohohoh- :stonk:

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Mo_Steel posted:

I still maintain my suggestion for his campaign: Cruz'n USA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI92T48V7oU

Yeah! Woahwoahwoahwoahohohoh- :stonk:

If Hillary does 90's nostalgia Cruz should go for this.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Neeksy posted:

[...]

I don't understand how people keep saying Walker is going to be the candidate over Jeb. The GOP always comes home to the boring guy over the crazies, and Walker won't be able to answer a single question convincingly.

I mean, even Romney could do that. His answers might have been hooked up to his random() function, but he could still do it.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

dreffen posted:

Suppose there's always a good chance to bond over mutual dislike for the Packers. :v:

The Packers should be the next prize Minnesota claims from the drifting, derelict husk of Wisconsin.

Lee Harvey Oswald
Mar 17, 2007

by exmarx
What is it about Wisconsin political history? They elect some of the best politicians: Robert La Follette and Russ Feingold, and absolute shitheads: McCarthy and Walker.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

As if to say, “I am not a sexist looney tune hothead who only cuts off female reporters, but rather a looney tune hothead who cuts off any reporter whose questions I don’t like,” GOP presidential candidate Rand Paul cut short an interview with The Guardian’s Paul Lewis on Friday, leaving the reporter in the dark (literally) after being pressed for specifics on campaign strategy and criminal justice.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Wasnt it CNN that cut them off?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Pretty sure when you willfully immolate yourself you're supposed to do it for a good reason.

Hopefully he lasts in the election long enough to have another melt down in prime time.

lapse
Jun 27, 2004

Next time they interview him they should cut him off mid sentence... "Sorry senator, we have a breaking interview with Ted Cruz"

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

:allears: Man the next 2 years are going to be magical.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

That picture of rand in the article is great.

Man these candidates are imploding quickly this cycle. Carson never even got a chance to declare and rand seems determined to screw it up within a week

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Here, have a bunch of words on why Ted Cruz has essentially no chance of getting the nomination: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/lets-be-serious-about-ted-cruz-from-the-start-hes-too-extreme-and-too-disliked-to-win/

Love this graphic:

My favorite bits, other than Cruz, are
- Richard Nixon, Honest Man, and
- the Pauls :allears:

...Also, what did I miss about Carson? I thought he still wanted in.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Apr 11, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

GreyjoyBastard posted:

- Richard Nixon, Honest Man

I'm guessing that's excluding his HUAC stuff.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Rand just needs a jet-pack so he can rocket boost out of situations he dislikes (all of them).

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Congratulations Rand Paul on your brand new car!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Rand just needs a jet-pack so he can rocket boost out of situations he dislikes (all of them).

"Actually, I'm a reporter-"

*abandons sandwich in fright*

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Wasnt it CNN that cut them off?

That's what Rand's campaign manager (or whoever runs his Twitter) says. But considering if you look close Rand flips the reporter off just before he leaves in the second gif I think there's a change that they might be lying at that. :allears:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Here, have a bunch of words on why Ted Cruz has essentially no chance of getting the nomination: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/lets-be-serious-about-ted-cruz-from-the-start-hes-too-extreme-and-too-disliked-to-win/

Love this graphic:

This proves the candidates Aren't Conservative Enough!

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Rand has accepted Bitcoin campaign donations. We really are in the future.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012
"Jenny Kutner is an assistant editor at Salon, focusing on sex, gender and feminism"

This strikes me as the funniest part of it, for some reason.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

If Rand can't even handle the pre-primary media, ain't no way he survived to Iowa. Even the huckster has been tell'n him that this ain't no game, boy, this is the throne and you play for keeps. If you can't a answer a simple media question how you gonna survive opposition?

Hiary ain't a woman who rhymes with mimes.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
His first big time interview back during the 2010 race he failed libertarianism 101 by falling for the old civil rights act gambit. Dude's never been able to recover.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

My Imaginary GF posted:

If Rand can't even handle the pre-primary media, ain't no way he survived to Iowa. Even the huckster has been tell'n him that this ain't no game, boy, this is the throne and you play for keeps. If you can't a answer a simple media question how you gonna survive opposition?

Hiary ain't a woman who rhymes with mimes.

Wait, are you James Carville now?

  • Locked thread