Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

So do I, especially in my job where I have to eat poo poo on a regular basis.

But you know, you grow up and realize you can't always be an rear end in a top hat no matter how bad you would love to be one.

Pretty much that. And it's hard as hell to walk that path somedays. I had some rear end in a top hat in my face just a week ago and I'm pretty sure I could have removed every tooth from his mouth in a very short time but I sucked it up and walked away.

In other news, I loving love my cats but when they die/escape/run away I am done having pets. The amount of property they damage and destroy is too much to deal with anymore. Our stupid Siamese keeps pissing on everything despite a clean bill of health and being medicated for stress. He just keeps pissing. We're going to have to pay to replace the carpeting in this entire apartment because of him and now we have to take him to the brand new place? I don't see many options other than him having to live in the garage right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Square
May 14, 2009

God damnit, someone in the Post Your Recent Purchases thread bought a KTM 690 SMC R.

I want a KTM 690 SMC R. :argh:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Maybe they're a time-traveling future you? v:v:v

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I've also just come to terms with the fact that I'm just not that into microdicks

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

DICKPOCALYPSE NOW posted:

I've also just come to terms with the fact that I'm just not that into microdicks

:getin:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Been watching a baseball game for 7 hours now, please send help

E: is this what it's like watching cricket?

MrChips fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Apr 11, 2015

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

MrChips posted:

Are you hammered on Pimm's Cup?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Das Volk posted:

Are you hammered on Pimm's Cup?

Nope; I guess it isn't like watching cricket after all.

I ran out of beer in the 16th too :mad:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

MrChips posted:

No, because cricket at least gets entertaining now and then.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

iwentdoodie posted:

:vince:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

fjelltorsk posted:

Good luck with your demons STR, i sincerely hope you get things sorted out and land on your feet. for some reason AI is the only place i really share and went. You guys are the only people i have told that this cancer poo poo scare me, and that i am afraid. This includes my S.O.

i will think positive thoughts for you, probably not worth much. if you where closer i would let you go hog wild (but not too hog wild) in my ridicilous medicine cabinet. these doctors keep prescribing me with all these fun drugs, and they only make me feel dizzy and fart.

Preeeeeetty sure your medicine cabinet is full of things I like too much. Gonna guess it's chock full of pain killers, right? :v: I like those enough that I refuse to ever have more than a handful in the house. Except for Tramadol, that poo poo is about like ibuprofin.

But if you have any anti-nausea stuff, that'd be neat to have right now. I still have some phernergan, but it makes me drowsy as poo poo. I also have :420: and a vaporizer, I generally keep it in the car or in my backpack and sneak a hit now and then to keep the nausea at bay.

And yeah, AI is really the only place I share this kind of stuff. My family suspects (ok, probably knows) the alcoholism has come back hard, but I haven't admitted it to them, and I've been careful not to let them see me when my body is trying to shake like Michael J Fox's hands.

meatpimp posted:

Saul Goodman's car from the series.

Specifically, one episode where he's asked what his name is.

:350: "Saul"

:byodood: "Saul?"

:350: "S'all good, man"

Mat_Drinks posted:

STR, is there not an outpatient or urgent care option in your area you can go to for help? It's good you're thinking about getting help, but I worry about the financial impact it will have to you if you go to the hospital. Also, have you considered shaking up your life, like maybe leaving Texas to try to break yourself of the pattern?

My insurance won't cover outpatient without a referral from my doctor, and there's exactly two urgent care facilities covered by my insurance within 60 miles (and they'd just send me off to an ER once they saw my blood pressure - it skyrockets when I'm dealing with this). The fun part of being on an HMO..

I did get approval to do medication management at a substance abuse facility awhile back, but the facility wouldn't do it on an outpatient basis - they wanted me to detox there, and wouldn't touch any form of medication management until I'd been through inpatient. So I have a psych handling two of my meds (Naltrexone and Celexa), with my PCP handling my other meds (diabetes, blood pressure, cholesterol).

I'm actually due for bloodwork soon (next month). Hoping to kick the booze for at least a few weeks before I go in for bloodwork, otherwise I'm going to get a severe rear end chewing over my liver counts and blood pressure. Still think I need to get my blood pressure med increased a bit, but blood pressure issues go hand in hand with the beetus.

The good(?) news is I'm still a free man, for now. I got ahold of a decently large amount of benzos (2 month supply for the friend who's prescribed them, except she takes a higher dose now, these have been sitting around for months), already trying to taper with them. I'm not perfectly comfortable by any stretch (a bit shaky, and sweating a little), but I already feel worlds better. Best part is my heart isn't trying to pound its way out of my chest anymore. $100 for 100 of them from a friend is a hell of a lot better than (another) $20,000 hospital bill. And they're a low dose with a long half life, so it's easy to adjust up and down as needed. Worst case, I fail at this and wind up doing the hospital anyway, I'm only out $100 for trying.

I also have a prescription for a med that really helps with alcohol cravings (also opiate cravings, if that was my thing). I can't take it while actively drinking though, otherwise I wind up with an IQ of about 30 for the next ~24 hours and puking my guts out. (no it's not antabuse, if I do drink on it there's no real negative side effects, except it takes a lot more alcohol to get a buzz).

ExplodingSims posted:

I dont think I've ever been more tempted to walk out. It's been busy, the bitchiest manager is here, and I really don't need this job anymore. And seriously, gently caress washing dishes and cooking at the same time.

I came drat close tonight. Our closing driver wound up in the ER; he fainted on a delivery - he'd been complaining about feeling light headed, but was still sent on the delivery. Thankfully it was to a business, and they called 911 (if it'd been a house, I guarantee the homeowners wouldn't have given a poo poo and/or wouldn't have noticed until the next time they opened their door). I can't fault him for medical issues (he's 18 and in good shape, so something had to go REALLY wrong), but I can fault the closing manager for walking up to me and stating "you know you're staying till close now". It wasn't a question, nobody asked me, she just stated it as if it was a fact.

I said "hah, that's so funny. No I'm not." She goes off about how the closing driver is in the hospital, I kindly point out that there's 2 other drivers scheduled to leave after me - and I would have considered it, likely said yes if she had ASKED, instead of saying it like it's already a fact. So she asks if I can stay till close, I repeat "I would have considered it if you had asked nicely before you walked up and stated I'm staying late. You already walked up and told me I was staying late instead of asking me. The answer is still no."

And yeah, bitchiest manager was there. She kept asking why I was saying no, I repeated "because you said I was, instead of asking if I could - and I have plans after work anyway. My level of give a poo poo about this place is zero at this point. Try asking if I mind staying late instead of assuming I don't have a life outside of work."

I'm scheduled 6 days both this week and next week, I'm already pretty pissed off about that (I asked to be cut down to 4 days once school started :argh:). Next week is my last though. I don't plan to use anyone as a reference (or even list the place on my resume), so my level of fucks given is negative, and the only reason I even bothered with a two week notice is I'd rather not burn any bridges in case I need a poo poo job again.

I did notice that for next week, they - wisely - did not schedule me for any first in or last out shifts, except for one mid-week close. The GM got on my case for washing onions before cutting them yesterday (then tried to pull the "all of our produce is pre-washed" line, even though it's visibly covered in dirt and all the boxes say WASH BEFORE USE), I suspect he's as tired of me as I am tired of this place. I threw out the "what would the health department think if they learned that we didn't wash any produce, especially stuff that was sitting on the floor of the walk-in cooler?" line.

Look at the number of self admitted alchoholics in here, now ask yourself how many of those are hiding a substance abuse problem, and speak about it freely on the internet due to the degree of seperation, or the people who use that shield to hide behind so people don't know just how badly you're truly well and hosed. Oh man, he looks wrecked, always coming in late and looking ready to die, but he always makes sure to mention right off the bat just how hung over he is and man he needs to tone down those beers. The shame isn't in the act of having it, or to have it over any set of circumstances that could have caused it,. The only shame is in after realising just where you've fallen down to to choose to bury it off in the corner like a cat burying what's left of Jimmy Hoffa. Quiet and no mess, keep the status quo at all costs until the only option is the long way out. I admire your ability to stand up to it. I know it's a hard choice to make.

There's alcoholics, then there's "have to down a 6 pack to get the shakes and dry heaving to stop before work", followed by doing more of the same 3 hours into your shift. I generally show up to work early or on time (at most I might show up 5 minutes late - if I know I'll be later, I'll call and give them a heads up).

I don't get hangovers as a general rule, but probably because for the past 3 months, there's always some amount of alcohol, no matter how small, in my body. I blow past hangovers and into withdrawal instead.

Tomorrow will be interesting. I did buy my normal amount of alcohol (actually a bit less), but usually by now I would have gone through at least half of it. I'm halfway into the first 24oz (@ 12% ABV) can, and I think I'll be able to call it quits after that. Only because I tracked down some other stuff to help. Won't be able to sleep for poo poo tonight, but it beats liver failure. And definitely beats racking up another massive hospital bill.

Not arguing, if anything I'm agreeing with you. Just trying to beat it without another hospital visit.

There's no way in hell I'd admit half of what I talk about in AI to anyone IRL, except for the people I've met here (both "met" and actually met IRL). There's definite some separation that lets people lower their guards a bit, but I've met quite a few goons now.

And how many more times are you going to change your name? :colbert: I think I'm just going to change mine to STR soon.

Have you ever seen one up close?

They're cute, in that "aww, I've never seen anything so small attached to something so large... wait, you're a top? ....................."

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Apr 11, 2015

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

iwentdoodie posted:

Once every 250 years doesn't count :v:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

MrChips posted:

Once every 250 years doesn't count :v:

There's way more streakers than that :v:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Dude STR I've got dozens of names lined up and best part is for a few dollars I get to entertain myself into thinking I'm far wittier than I actually am.

some texas redneck posted:

They're cute, in that "aww, I've never seen anything so small attached to something so large... wait, you're a cop? ....................."

Misread this line probably three or four times till I managed to figure out what you actually typed

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Went to the hardware store to get some brake shim grease, came home with an impact driver. Sorry neighbors. :getin:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Dude STR I've got dozens of names lined up and best part is for a few dollars I get to entertain myself into thinking I'm far wittier than I actually am.

If it makes you feel any better, you can wake up sniffing my boner any time.

Smells like victory, indeed.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

This is your thread on drugs booze and willys :stare:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Reading about STR and alcohol withdrawal is mind bobggling. I knew alcohol withdrawal can literally kill you but reading what it can do otherwise...... man, hope it works out for you because sounds like some hard core poo poo.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Goddammit STR, I hope you pull through and stay sober.

We all love you too goddamn much to see you destroy yourself :(

I lost my grandpa to alcohol 19 years ago and it still hurts to think about it. He was the most awesome grandpa and I loved visiting him. There would always be orange soda and old Elvis concerts recorded off TV shows waiting for me. I'll always remember him as a jovial man with a love for gadgets and offbeat 50s/60s stuff, but at one point, the manic depressive side finally caught up with him.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Apr 11, 2015

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

goatse guy posted:

I've had several cars with clean Carfaxes and accidents on the Autocheck, and the other way around. It's best to pull both if you're worried.

A PPI will tell you way more than either of those either could, but customers have been trained to believe that the CarFax is the end-all be-all of car history and the only important thing.

I grabbed the autocheck as well, yay for the wilcox hole.

And safety dance, will do.

piss boner
May 17, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

Goddammit STR, I hope you pull through and stay sober.

Just glad he's here, posting and making an attempt to sort himself out.

So, I was given a brand new F150 at work to use for the day last week. I just don't get it. It's roomy inside albeit bland but it feels mega-cheap, the seats are just somewhat comfortable and the cruise control buttons are hot garbage. I cannot figure out why someone would choose this over the ford focus I have for a work vehicle, the cruise control in the focus is so drat intuitive that I was flailing for them the other day when I borrowed my daughters 8th gen civic.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

goatse guy posted:

I've had several cars with clean Carfaxes and accidents on the Autocheck, and the other way around. It's best to pull both if you're worried.

A PPI will tell you way more than either of those either could, but customers have been trained to believe that the CarFax is the end-all be-all of car history and the only important thing.

From the cars I've shopped over the last few years carfax is iffy at best, autocheck is fairly decent but nothing beats a PPI done by someone who knows the brand/model.

Was looking at a car last fall that I wasn't going to have time to fly out and see unless it was to drive it back. Carfax and autocheck was spotless. Found a local independant shop that knew the model and convinced the seller to take it there for a PPI. Shop called me before it even went on the lift and told me it had been in at least one wreck, sent me a bunch of photos of lovely repairs and non vin matching panels.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Well durnit, I've got a clunking sound from the front end when turning the wheel from lock to lock. Sounds like it's coming from the right side only, and it's a MacPherson setup. So I'm guessing it's either the strut bearing or the drop link?

It's part of the never-ending joy of owning a ~15 year old car, and I've got no access to a lift or a workshop or anything, plus my regular mechanic (who is probably the only pro I trust) is 150km away from where I live.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Apr 11, 2015

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
What kind of madman schedules a meeting at work to START at 6am on a saturday where the main topic is tardiness and attendance?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Oh my god I am getting hosed so hard on my taxes right now. 1099G and unemployment. RIP

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

So I owe roughly $3k after fees and interest on my payment plan. gently caress my life.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*
STR, you should really get yourself into rehab. Addiction of that magnitude is not something to gently caress around with, especially when you are replacing one addictive substance with another.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

goatse guy posted:

STR, you should really get yourself into rehab. Addiction of that magnitude is not something to gently caress around with, especially when you are replacing one addictive substance with another.

Agreed. It was the hardest decision I ever made, and the best decision I ever made. 15 years sober in May.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I got a new Hi-Fi yesterday. Im also posting from 1970.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I've always wanted to gut the speaker system in one of those and pop in some new and improved stuff, maybe add a few new bits but hidden so it still looks as it left the factory god knows how many years ago.

Also my housemate is amazing. Him and his girlfriend are both er, 'larger' of physique, and she's been on slimming world but seen no results so she's on weight watchers now. He's gotten plumper since they met so they're both on it now. He posted on facebook earlier that they were off out for pizza and ice cream and one of our mutual friends replied "Diet's going well then?!" which made me laugh. Housemate had the cheek to reply "Awesome!" when he' just brought home a dozen danishes and has had takeaway for the past 3 nights as well as several buckets of popcorn and a million other snacks.

I get lying to other people but why lie to yourself? Some people just must love setting themselves up to fail because it's just easier than making any effort to change their situation. It makes me sad, he's become super boring since meeting her and they just sit about the house eating and watching crap sci-fi. :/

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's completely unfair. Compared to your housemate, my eating habits are positively saintly. No fast food, no soda, no empty carbs, that sort of thing. Cake etc. is limited to a slice once or twice per month whenever there's a birthday or something. I do crossfit 2-3 times per week.

And yet I just can't get rid of this damned belly fat, and I can't seem to get below 95kg or a 100cm waist at all. It's aggravating as gently caress.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

goatse guy posted:

Done the rehab bit before. Can't afford it again unfortunately.

I'm only using the klonopin to get off of the booze, then I'll taper down quickly - I don't intend to stay on it. It's the same way you get withdrawn in a hospital setting, except they usually use Ativan (IV), then send you home with librium. They're all in the same drug class, klonopin just has a longer half life.

I already feel a million times better today. Still a little shaky, but I consumed roughly a fifth of my normal consumption last night, and nothing yet today (usually I would have had at least a few drinks by now).

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

It's completely unfair. Compared to your housemate, my eating habits are positively saintly. No fast food, no soda, no empty carbs, that sort of thing. Cake etc. is limited to a slice once or twice per month whenever there's a birthday or something. I do crossfit 2-3 times per week.

And yet I just can't get rid of this damned belly fat, and I can't seem to get below 95kg or a 100cm waist at all. It's aggravating as gently caress.

...you could just eat like a sparrow, gently caress off the crossfit and become a mushy bag of man. Alternatively eat all the protein and become a mountain of man muscle?

I just don't get it, he lost loads of weight before she turned up but because she's the size of a small house and eats whenever she's upset (which is alllllll the time) he's just followed suit and now he's up to ~120kg. We used to go rock climbing once a week and when he first did it he was done within 15 minutes but as the weeks rolled past he got pretty decent at it and was getting stronger, he'd never have won any competitions but he enjoyed it and it meant he wasn't eating like a tramp. Then he met her, stopped and piled more weight back on. He asked recently if I wanted to go climbing again and I told him "Oh definitely!" and that was that. :/

Also STR, I hope you get your poo poo straight soon. Certainly doesn't sound like a fun time.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Oh my god I am getting hosed so hard on my taxes right now. 1099G and unemployment. RIP

Just sent in my e-file and bank routing numbers. I owe $2400 something plus $300 to the state. Must have seriously hosed up my W-4 when I converted to FT. I thought maybe going the :filez: route on TurboTax was coming back to bite me, but the HR Block free online app said I owed slightly more. Woof.

Fart Pipe posted:

I got a new Hi-Fi yesterday. Im also posting from 1970.

Those things can get LOUD. I don't know what it is about old Hi-Fi equipment, but it seems like for what they are, they're a lot better than what you could get at an equivalent price today. Also, post more pics of your telephone chair, those things are a great period piece, too.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I work 2 jobs, which translates to working 7 days a week. I was looking forward to a nice return this year. I owe 1500 and I am bitter as gently caress about it and the people in my family on the dole that get a return too.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

88h88 posted:

...you could just eat like a sparrow, gently caress off the crossfit and become a mushy bag of man. Alternatively eat all the protein and become a mountain of man muscle?

It's not like I'm some wheezing fatso weakling who almost dies every time he has to take the stairs. I deadlift 150kg, but bodyweight exercises gently caress me up because of the extra 15kg or so I'm carrying around.

And my diet is already reasonably protein heavy (because I loving love chicken), so I dunno. I've tried counting calories on a typical day, and it doesn't seem like that's the issue. I hardly ever snack, and when I do, it's from the fruit basket at work, so apples and stuff.

I do have a habit of skipping breakfast, I'll have to work on that.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 11, 2015

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

bennyfactor posted:

Those things can get LOUD. I don't know what it is about old Hi-Fi equipment, but it seems like for what they are, they're a lot better than what you could get at an equivalent price today. Also, post more pics of your telephone chair, those things are a great period piece, too.

Im afraid to turn it on yet in case some of the capacitors have dried out but yea they can be wicked loud. Noeland just took one of these and put all newer stuff in it and it came out awesome.

I got the chair yesterday too from my great aunt and uncle that moved to a smaller house. They always had super nice furniture and I wanted to save whatever of theirs that I could. I think its from Ethan Allen but Im not sure. It has cool painting on it

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I have heard about some interesting research into using LSD to reprogram the addiction centers in your brain, has anyone looked into that further?

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

some texas redneck posted:

Done the rehab bit before. Can't afford it again unfortunately.

I would rather be broke than dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

It's not like I'm some wheezing fatso weakling who almost dies every time he has to take the stairs. I deadlift 150kg, but bodyweight exercises gently caress me up because of the extra 15kg or so I'm carrying around.

And my diet is already reasonably protein heavy (because I loving love chicken), so I dunno. I've tried counting calories on a typical day, and it doesn't seem like that's the issue. I hardly ever snack, and when I do, it's from the fruit basket at work, so apples and stuff.

I do have a habit of skipping breakfast, I'll have to work on that.

Yeah skipping breakfast isn't great though that's what I do and I've weighed roughly the same since forever (78kg). I have jeans from 11 years ago that still fit me today which is awesome/terrible depending on how you look at it.

T-Square posted:

God damnit, someone in the Post Your Recent Purchases thread bought a KTM 690 SMC R.

I want a KTM 690 SMC R. :argh:

Same here.

• Locked thread