Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Pimp My Choppah: http://www.mymodernmet.com/profiles/blogs/bell-525-helicopter

That doesn't look like the inside of a helicopter - it looks like the secret chamber where the Douchenati meet to discuss what everyone should buy from Hollister that month.

"Tha's real burlwood, brah."

2nd Generation Rich, inc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

If James Bond doesn't smash a guy into that table at some point, life has no meaning.

This. It looks like it's built specifically for a Bond villain.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

BIG HEADLINE posted:

...where the Douchenati meet to discuss what everyone should buy from Hollister that month.

That was exquisitely beautiful :golfclap:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The screwy thing is that they're marketing that thing as a corporate helo when that's easily a flying OR or, spec'ed for military use, a more than large enough cabin to run a pretty decent AEW suite if you found someplace to slap one of these onto: http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/exclusive-p-8-poseidon-flies-with-shadowy-radar-system-1562912667

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Das Volk posted:

Upstairs on a BA 747-400 is a very nice place to be. There's lockers for all your crap, screens if you don't want to make out with the person adjacent to you (let's be honest, if you aren't doing this, you're doing it wrong) and a fully stocked self-serve bar.

Also you're above all the plebs too so there's that. except you aren't actually in first class

The upstairs on their A380s are like that too. They also have the most gigantic airplane bathrooms I've ever seen.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

BIG HEADLINE posted:

That doesn't look like the inside of a helicopter - it looks like the secret chamber where the Douchenati meet to discuss what everyone should buy from Hollister that month.

The metrosexual version of the Dethcopter. It's Pickles' brother's helicopter.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The screwy thing is that they're marketing that thing as a corporate helo when that's easily a flying OR or, spec'ed for military use, a more than large enough cabin to run a pretty decent AEW suite if you found someplace to slap one of these onto: http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/exclusive-p-8-poseidon-flies-with-shadowy-radar-system-1562912667

Can you actually do surgery in a medevac chopper? That seems kind of dangerous, but I guess if the alternative is dying anyway you don't have much choice.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Eej posted:

Can you actually do surgery in a medevac chopper? That seems kind of dangerous, but I guess if the alternative is dying anyway you don't have much choice.

Ideally, given the size of the thing, you'd land and hook up a dedicated power line so you're not running poo poo entirely off the helo's engine, but that space easily looks large enough to house an OR-like space. Though now that I've had time to think about the statement - the trickiest part would be keeping it a sterile environment with that big-rear end access door.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

BIG HEADLINE posted:

What the hell are "sidekick controls"? Does it come with a remote-control butler or something?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Advent Horizon posted:

What the hell are "sidekick controls"? Does it come with a remote-control butler or something?

I'm guessing they actually meant sidestick controls, like on an Airbus.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I like to imagine that it means I has a little drone following it around all the time.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

hobbesmaster posted:

I like to imagine that it means I has a little drone following it around all the time.

Alternatively, some guy in an R-22.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Not a Mi-8, not interested

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
That looks expensive but you could probably produce that reasonably cheaply (compared to the price of a loving helicopter at any rate) especially if the wood's fake and it's all made of molded plastic.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Mortabis posted:

That looks expensive but you could probably produce that reasonably cheaply (compared to the price of a loving helicopter at any rate) especially if the wood's fake and it's all made of molded plastic.

I can assure you that's all real wood veneer; not only is that a major prestige thing (which is pretty much everything when selling corporate aircraft), you simply can't make plastic that looks like that and be as tough or as light as a veneered aluminum or composite surface.

There is a huge amount of manual labour involved - the veneer is usually hand cut, applied and finished - but it is well worth the effort in the end.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Took a trip down to the Classic Air Force hanger today because their website said they were open for visitors again.
The website lied but the volunteers that were about were extremely kind and let me poke around a bit.

Here's some of the pictures I took:

Nimrod that served in the Falklands.
Fun fact: the refulling probe was added in during the Falklands war, up until then they didn't have one. The change was made so quickly that the fuel pipe came in through the cockpit and ran along the floor to the tanks.
It was neatened up after the war though.

A Shakleton that is being restored (maybe is restored) to flying condition

de Havilland Dragon Rapide which I find so pretty, you can book pleasure flights on that one too

A Vampire which is so tiny

Scottish Aviation Twin Pioneer which are slightly rare now. They've had difficulty getting replacements for part of the wing support so it isn't flying at the moment

Bunch of terrible interior shots of the Nimrod and some other pictures here

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

freelop posted:

Took a trip down to the Classic Air Force hanger today because their website said they were open for visitors again.
The website lied but the volunteers that were about were extremely kind and let me poke around a bit.

Here's some of the pictures I took:

What's the clear bubble on the wing?

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

NightGyr posted:

What's the clear bubble on the wing?

Searchlight, for SAR operations.

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9CoBMlOLi4

20 P-51s in formation. I'm just… what. Who, how. I'm sure this has been posted here before, but the sound of those engines all together… drat. I sort of get what a live NASCAR race feels like now.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
That just looks like great time. Although it's not same type the balbo at Duxford flying legends is similarly impressive with big numbers of warbirds in the air simultaneously. They regularly throw up more than 10 spits.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Ideally, given the size of the thing, you'd land and hook up a dedicated power line so you're not running poo poo entirely off the helo's engine, but that space easily looks large enough to house an OR-like space. Though now that I've had time to think about the statement - the trickiest part would be keeping it a sterile environment with that big-rear end access door.

It's not as big as it looks. The seats in a private aircraft are usually smaller than you expect, so without people in them you can't get a good gauge on size.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Well, shitfuckballs. We've got an An-225 on deck at KBGR and I missed it. It was supposed to come in the other day, but had some maintenance trouble and was down in Houston. I subsequently forgot to keep track after that. Bah.

Local news link: http://wabi.tv/2015/04/11/bangor-sky-watchers-witnessed-worlds-largest-plane-today/

If it's parked where I think it is, I should be able to mosey right out on the ramp and get some nice closeups of it tomorrow, assuming it's still here. I'll see what I can do.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Acid Reflux posted:

Well, shitfuckballs. We've got an An-225 on deck at KBGR and I missed it. It was supposed to come in the other day, but had some maintenance trouble and was down in Houston. I subsequently forgot to keep track after that. Bah.

Local news link: http://wabi.tv/2015/04/11/bangor-sky-watchers-witnessed-worlds-largest-plane-today/

If it's parked where I think it is, I should be able to mosey right out on the ramp and get some nice closeups of it tomorrow, assuming it's still here. I'll see what I can do.

It already left :(

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/ADB3495/history/20150411/2100Z/KBGR/EINN

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

GODDAMIT

Well, at least I have pics from the last time it was here. Somewhere, buried in a subfolder.

e: Heyo! We can all live vicariously through my buddy Kyle, who was able to grab this today:

edited edit: My company's got some neat pictures and footage on the Facebook page as well: https://www.facebook.com/CLAVIATION

Incidentally, and apropos of nothing, if anyone's ever in the Bangor ME area and would like to see our facility, drop me a line. I'd be happy to give you a tour. :)

Acid Reflux fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Apr 12, 2015

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015

Slo-Tek posted:

Searchlight, for SAR operations.

...and scaring the poo poo out of drug-runners in speedboats, apparently.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Canada stole a good idea from America: behold, a CF-18 done up as a Battle of Britain Hurricane.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

I didn't know Hurricanes had fake canopies painted on their undersides.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Craptacular posted:

I didn't know Hurricanes had fake canopies painted on their undersides.

They had the equally-upsetting port-black/starboard-white undersides.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

If you want to read about the B-36 I've written a thing.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Nebakenezzer posted:

If you want to read about the B-36 I've written a thing.

Very nice. Pro read.

quote:

If there's one thing the B-36 program can teach you, is that you show how big a thing is by putting it next to smaller things.

So true. Much like the B-52, the Wright-Patterson museum shows off the B-36 by having it overshadowing about half a dozen other planes. With the possible exception of the ICBM hall, the B-36 has to be the most "holy poo poo" part of the museum in terms of sheer size. I had a vague idea that the B-36 was a big plane prior to that, but seeing it up close, next to other ostensibly large planes, really puts it in full perspective.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
According to wikipedia it had 13 crew. What were all of them doing? Were there like 6 flight engineers to take care of the massive number of engines?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Mortabis posted:

According to wikipedia it had 13 crew. What were all of them doing? Were there like 6 flight engineers to take care of the massive number of engines?

Eight gunners, apparently. Having seen photos of the cockpit, I can imagine needing three flight engineers.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Uh...why would you need 8 gunners for a plane with only one gun?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Mortabis posted:

The production models had eight guns. Most of them were later removed.

wikipedia posted:

The defensive armament consisted of six remote-controlled retractable gun turrets, and fixed tail and nose turrets. Each turret was fitted with two 20 mm cannons, for a total of 16.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Mortabis posted:

From many pages earlier in the thread, a video showing the pop-up turrets.

Nebakenezzer posted:

For the past two months I've been working on a infodump for **my blog** on the B-36. ('My Blog' being very similar to **MY GIRLFRIEND** in that it's basically impossible to even mention it without sounding douche-y. I've come to accept this, though I gotta apologize at the same time.) Anyway, the most impressive thing I've found round the net that you might not have seen before is this: a propaganda short on the B-36.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1V9CWQNZRF8

The opening shot is positively amazing and could have inspired the famous shot of the Star Destroyer in the first Star Wars. It also has a shot of the hydraulic turrets deploying, and the (once again) Star Wars-like aiming device the gunners use with the turrets. The plane being shown is apparently a late model B-36, as it has jet engines, quick-opening bomb bay doors and the "pointy brassiere" rear radar dome.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Some new uploads from the San Diego Air & Space Museum Archives

Grumman F-14A 157991 tested with retractable canards at NASA Dryden

Grumman/General Dynamics F-111B 151973 during Phoenix missile tests

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Strong Tomcat game in this photo.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

:flashfap:

That's such a cool shot.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Just pulled into the gate at IAD. Had to walk a little further from the plane to the jetway because we hit a luggage cart with the lift wingtip while pulling in. Went about 6" into the wing then pulled out a bunch of wiring for the strobe and what looked like insulation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!

Jealous Cow posted:

Just pulled into the gate at IAD. Had to walk a little further from the plane to the jetway because we hit a luggage cart with the lift wingtip while pulling in. Went about 6" into the wing then pulled out a bunch of wiring for the strobe and what looked like insulation.

Oh jeez. Is that one of the new planes with the scimitar winglets (The ones going down as well as up)?