Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Georgetown is basically the western limit of DC so I dont see why that would be a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

So, like, I'm swedish. And what I know of Gustav den andre Adolf is also hugely affected by my personal background. To be frank, I've never read anything that even comes close as criticism of the man (compared to his contemporaries), or that doesn't explain the mistakes and horrors as simply the pre-existing situation and effect of the thirty years war. TL:DR Gustav II Adolph Rex = Brilliant opportunist that created the empire.

Hey Gal, is there somewhere I can read up on the critique? Because that seems a fuckton more interesting than reading another, possibly tainted, hero-epic.

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Apr 11, 2015

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

So, like, I'm swedish. And what I know of Gustav den andre Adolf is also hugely affected by my personal background. To be frank, I've never read anything that even comes close as criticism of the man (compared to his contemporaries)...
Yeah, when I was a child I got "The Thirty Years' War was a great tragedy and it was mostly Protestants' fault." Sorry.

quote:

Hey Gal, is there somewhere I can read up on the critique? Because that seems a fuckton more interesting than reading another, possibly tainted, hero-epic.
(1) Of his alleged military innovations: Most modern works on the Thirty Years' War say that he didn't do a bunch of the things he's been credited with doing (like invent the cartridge box and supply all his soldiers with lighter muskets), place the things he did do within their context (mixing musketeers with his cavalry turns out to have been a defensive measure against cavalry, which he picked up in Poland), or reevaluate the things his enemies did (Spanish tactics are now respected).

Peter Wilson's The Thirty Years War: Europe's Tragedy goes into this, as well as the newest books that discuss what's called in English the "Military Revolution." If you can read German I'll PM you a book on Spanish tactics that I really like.

(2) Of the moral status of his deeds and those of his armies: Honestly I don't really remember a single work that critiques this, my opinions are the result of putting bits and pieces together, mostly from works that dealt primarily with other topics. Did he believe he was in the right? Sure, lots of people did. Was he pious? No doubt. Were his people as pious as he was and unusually well disciplined? :roflolmao:

Edit: Oh, and was that empire actually a good thing for you? Statistically, no: google parish of Bygdea for how likely its pursuit was to just straight-up murder a guy. Everything else Gustavus Adolphus did that was wrong is basically what everyone did during this war--but Swedish conscription legit pisses me off.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Apr 11, 2015

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

HEY GAL posted:

Yeah, when I was a child I got "The Thirty Years' War was a great tragedy and it was mostly Protestants' fault." Sorry.

(1) Of his alleged military innovations: Most modern works on the Thirty Years' War say that he didn't do a bunch of the things he's been credited with doing (like invent the cartridge box and supply all his soldiers with lighter muskets), place the things he did do within their context (mixing musketeers with his cavalry turns out to have been a defensive measure against cavalry, which he picked up in Poland), or reevaluate the things his enemies did (Spanish tactics are now respected).

Peter Wilson's The Thirty Years War: Europe's Tragedy goes into this, as well as the newest books that discuss what's called in English the "Military Revolution." If you can read German I'll PM you a book on Spanish tactics that I really like.

(2) Of the moral status of his deeds and those of his armies: Honestly I don't really remember a single work that critiques this, my opinions are the result of putting bits and pieces together, mostly from works that dealt primarily with other topics. Did he believe he was in the right? Sure, lots of people did. Was he pious? No doubt. Were his people as pious as he was and unusually well disciplined? :roflolmao:

On a related note, HEY GAL, what's your opinion on Torstensson and/or do you know any good sources about his campaigns? I know the basic outlines (2nd Breitenfeld, turning around and beating up the Danes, then moving down to the Danube), but I haven't seen nearly the amount of stuff on the Swedish army under his command as is devoted to Gustav, despite the fact that his campaigns seem equally if not more successful.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

blackmongoose posted:

On a related note, HEY GAL, what's your opinion on Torstensson and/or do you know any good sources about his campaigns? I know the basic outlines (2nd Breitenfeld, turning around and beating up the Danes, then moving down to the Danube), but I haven't seen nearly the amount of stuff on the Swedish army under his command as is devoted to Gustav, despite the fact that his campaigns seem equally if not more successful.
No idea, sorry, although he seems cool--the people I study in great detail are Saxons in the service of the King of Spain, so anything high-level about Swedes is way out of my area. If I come across something I'll let the thread know.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Japanese Explosive Ordnance: Army and Navy Ammunition

Army Projectiles: Part 7

40, 47 and 57mm projectiles, oh my!

40mm Ho-301 High Explosive Projectile

Dimensions
Length of projectile (Fuzed): 129mm
Length of projectile (w/o fuze): 108mm
Distance base to rotating band (lower edge): 15mm
Width of rotating band: 8mm
Diameter of rotating band: 41mm
Diameter of body: 39mm
Diameter of bourrelet: 39.5mm
Width of bourrelet: 6mm
Distance base to bourrelet (lower edge): 91mm
Wall thickness (propellant chamber): 5mm
Wall thickness (H.E. chamber): 4mm

Weights
Complete round (Fuzed): 1lb 4.7oz
H.E. charge: 2oz
Propellant: 0.4oz
Primer: 0.1oz
Fuze (with gaine): 2.1oz
Gaine: 0.2oz

Primer Dimensions
Length: 9mm
Diameter (Thread): 12mm
T.P.I. (Thread Per Inch): 34 L.H. (Left-Handed)

Used in: Ho-301 40mm aircraft cannon. This is an unusual weapon similar in design to an Oerlikon blow-back operated cannon, but with the head of the bolt machined as a piston which closes the breech at the forward end of its stroke.

Filling: The filling consists of TNT with a forward pellet of picric acid or TNT.

Propellant: The propellant consists of small, greenish-gray, square flakes of smokeless powder (approx. 1mm square) enclosed in a silk bag which is inserted in the after cavity of the projectile. A sealing cup of thin aluminium fits around the after end of the propellant bag and the charge and cup are held in by a perforated base plate which screws (LH) into the base of the cavity. The base plate has an outer ring of twelve 3/16-inch holes and a central hole threaded (LH) to receive the small flush primer. The aluminium sealing cup is perforated by a single hole in the center to permit the flash from the primer to reach the propellant. The force of the propellant gases blows through the aluminium cup to open the main series of holes.

Fuze: This is a simple direct-acting nose fuze with a central axial striker held in the unarmed condition by a slotted safety block which in turn is held by two spring-loaded detents.

Remarks: There is also a practice projectile which has the same dimensions and appearance as the H.E. projectile. It is painted black overall and has a nose plug instead of a fuze.

Type 1 47mm High Explosive Projectile

Weight of complete round: 2.44kg
Weight of projectile (without fuze): 1.15kg
Weight of filling: 0.087kg

Filling: Two preformed paper-wrapped blocks taped together and waxed. The forward block consists of two pellets of picric acid, a ring pellet around the gaine and a solid pellet beneath the gaine. The after block is one piece of cast TNT.

Diameter at bourrelet: 47mm
Length of projectile (without fuze): 140mm
Length of propellant case: 283mm
Length of assembled round (without fuze): 389mm
Diameter of base of case: 72mm

Fuzing: Type 88 instantaneous nose fuze (gun type), Type 88 short-delay nose fuze (gun type).

Used in: Type 1 Anti-tank gun, Type 1 Tank gun.

Weight of propellant: 0.398kg
Propellant: Single perforated cylindrical grains (7/16-inch long, 5/32-inch diameter) of a graphited double-base powder of the following composition:
-Nitrocellulose: 60%
-Nitroglycerine: 34.5%
-Ethyl centralite: 3%
-Diphenyl formamide: 2.5%

Type 1 47mm Armor Piercing Projectile

Weight of complete round: 2.75kg
Weight of projectile (Fuzed): 1.38kg
Weight of projectile (w/o Fuze): 1.27kg
Weight of filling: 0.018kg
Filling: 90% RDX, 10% Paraffin
Diameter at bourrelet: 47mm
Length of projectile (w/o fuze): 143mm
Length of propellant case: 283mm
Length of assembled round: 398mm
Diameter of base of case: 72mm
Width of rotating band: 12mm

Fuzing: Small Mk 2 base fuze (Short delay)

Used in: Type 1 Anti-tank gun, Type 1 Tank gun

Tracer: Yellow, 5 grams
Weight of propellant: .0398kg
Propellant: Single perforated cylindrical grains (7/16-inch long, 5/32-inch diameter) of a graphited double-base powder of the following composition
-Nitrocellulose: 60%
-Nitroglycerine: 34.5%
-Ethyl centralite: 3%
-Diphenyl formamide: 2.5%

Type 90 5.7cm (57mm) High Explosive Projectile

Weight of complete round: 2.91kg
Weight of projectile, filled (Fuzed): 2.36kg
Weight of filling: 0.25kg
Filling: TNT
Diameter at bourrelet: 57mm
Length of projectile (w/o fuze): 181mm
Lenght of propellant case: 121mm
Length of assembled round (without fuze and adapter): 280mm
Width of rotating band: 9.5mm

Fuzing: Type 88 short delay fuze

Propellant: Mk 1 square grain - 113g

Used in: Type 90 Tank gun, Type 97 Tank gun

Type 90 5.7cm (57mm) Substitute projectile

Weight of complete round: 3.04kg
Weight of projectile, filled: 2.23kg
Weight of filling: 0.07kg
Filling: Black Powder
Length of projectile (w/o Fuze): 183mm
Length of propellant case: 121mm
Length of assembled round (w/o Fuze): 272mm
Width of rotating band: 9.5mm

Fuzing: Type 88 short delay fuze

Remarks: This projectile is made of cast iron and has very thick walls.

Type 92 5.7cm (57mm) Armor Piercing Projectile

Weight of complete round: 3.13kg
Weight of projectile, filled and fuzed: 2.58kg
Weight of filling: 0.1kg
Filling: Two sections of explosive, individually wrapped in paper
-Upper section: pressed picric acid and wax
-Lower section: Cast TNT
Length of projectile (w/o fuze adapter): 181mm
Length of assembled round: 280mm
Width of rotating band: 10mm

Fuzing: Type 92 small base fuze

57mm Ho-401 High Explosive Projectile

Weight of complete round: 2.15kg
Weight of projectile, filled and fuzed: 2.58kg 1.47kg
Weight of filling: No Data
Filling: No Data
Length of projectile (w/o fuze): 163mm
Length of assembled round: 270mm
Width of rotating band: 11m

Fuzing: No Data

Propellant: No Data

Used in: Ho-401 aircraft cannon

Note: I believe there is an error with this entry, in my book. The complete round weighs less than the projectile (filled and fuze) which is impossible. In pounds, it gives the round at 4.75 and the projectile at 3.25. Using a mass converter, 3.25lb is the equivalent of 1.47kg.

Next time: 70mm Projectiles, including one that was a Hollow Charge projectile fired from a Howitzer! :psyduck:

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

HEY GAL posted:

I'd rather like to read that book given that there recommendation.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
I do like how the basic tactics of warfare haven't really changed much in thousand of years. By which I mean, having a line of resistance, with skirmishers or scouts in front, having to worry bout your flanks, trying to hold an enemy's attention with conflict in the front while attempting to flank. I mean, they came up with fire and maneuver during WW1, I believe, but really it's the same as Alexander using his phalanx to fix the enemy and his Companion Cavalry to hit them in the flank. The technology has changed the amount of men necessary, but the basics are the same.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Note: I believe there is an error with this entry, in my book. The complete round weighs less than the projectile (filled and fuze) which is impossible. In pounds, it gives the round at 4.75 and the projectile at 3.25. Using a mass converter, 3.25lb is the equivalent of 1.47kg.

Considering how weirdly the Japanese handled their munitions, I would legitimately only be slightly surprised if they made a round that violated natural laws somewhat.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Ardent Communist posted:

I do like how the basic tactics of warfare haven't really changed much in thousand of years. By which I mean, having a line of resistance, with skirmishers or scouts in front, having to worry bout your flanks, trying to hold an enemy's attention with conflict in the front while attempting to flank. I mean, they came up with fire and maneuver during WW1, I believe, but really it's the same as Alexander using his phalanx to fix the enemy and his Companion Cavalry to hit them in the flank. The technology has changed the amount of men necessary, but the basics are the same.

I can't agree with this, unless you really only look in the very very abstract sense. Even in the same era, the likes of the Mongols had a very different idea of how to fight wars than their enemies.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

chitoryu12 posted:

Considering how weirdly the Japanese handled their munitions, I would legitimately only be slightly surprised if they made a round that violated natural laws somewhat.

I laughed way too hard at this.

Also, fun fact: The largest(?) mortar they had, the 320mm Spigot Mortar, could only fire around 6 to 7 rounds before being unusable or unsafe. :japan:

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

Mortabis posted:

The Potomac is only navigable up to Georgetown so I assume you don't mean with boats? And in all my time living in Fairfax I can't remember ever seeing the Potomac freeze.

e: for instance, I was in downtown Washington in December when we had that ridiculously cold day and the Metro tracks froze, and the river wasn't frozen.

The war took place just after the Little Ice Age, and DC was not as heavily populated then as it is now. You've lived in the area exclusively during what some might call an unusually warm period. Your experiences are not comparable to someone living in the 1860s. To add further emphasis to this point, the Potomac froze all the way down to Aquia Creek in January 1864, and froze again "from bank to bank at Washington" in January 1865.

Rodrigo Diaz fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 11, 2015

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

Fangz posted:

I can't agree with this, unless you really only look in the very very abstract sense. Even in the same era, the likes of the Mongols had a very different idea of how to fight wars than their enemies.
Well, then I could argue that type of high speed, low risk, massive strategic advantage of high mobility has a lot of parallels with how the American airforce currents operates. With similar strategic effects. Similar to how the knights of the aristocracy were not overthrown until the masses had the weapons (pikes and the like) and the tactics to combat them, it is possible that the current dominance of airpower could end with the development of cheap enough and powerful enough anti-air weapons. I agree it's in the abstract, since technology has changed speeds and destructive power and reach, but there are still parallels, I think. Interesting enough to ponder, anyways.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Ardent Communist posted:

Similar to how the knights of the aristocracy were not overthrown until the masses had the weapons (pikes and the like) and the tactics to combat them

That's, uh... not what happened. I don't even know what the knights of the aristocracy being "overthrown" would entail, because it sounds like you're conflating tactical and sociopolitical developments.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

That's, uh... not what happened. I don't even know what the knights of the aristocracy being "overthrown" would entail, because it sounds like you're conflating tactical and sociopolitical developments.

End of aristocratic warfare in Europe~16th century.

Overthrow of last major aristocracy... early 19th with the Romanovs, would you say? Or count the Junkers too, about the same time period.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

the JJ posted:

Overthrow of last major aristocracy... early 19th with the Romanovs, would you say? Or count the Junkers too, about the same time period.

19th means 1801-1900, you meant early 20th? :v:

And that's last major European aristocracy only.

And you skipped the Habsburgs, too.

Yes, I'm an rear end in a top hat.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

The explanation is in his username.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
So the IJN had a pretty confusing color system for projectiles, including a colored band at the center of gravity of the shell. Colors varied depending on caliber and so on.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

the JJ posted:

I've read some very serious arguments (which I agree with at least to some degree) that the militarized aristocracy was co-opted into the officers and cavalry of early modern armies and continued on from there. This is especially apparent when looking at things like the pre-Civil War South, but was originally a European phenomenon.

Edit: Hamish Scott is a particular name to look out for on this subject, but I've lost the essay where I used him as a source so I can't remember exactly what article or book section it was.

Rodrigo Diaz fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 11, 2015

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

HEY GAL posted:

The reason people in my period almost never do anything during winter (about Nov-March) isn't the cold or the snow, it's that the grass isn't growing yet. I don't know later periods as well, but I thought that after people invent the magazine this is less of a problem.

As far as the American Civil War goes, while there was extensive use of rail and supply depots to keep the troops mobilized (particularly in the East), animal feed remained something that all sides generally relied on the land for (in fact they simply called it forage). In fact Grant mentions this fact specifically in his comments about meeting Lee at Appomattox Courthouse, for when Lee asks for supplies for his troops and horses, Grant replies that he's happy to supply train-borne rations but they were using forage themselves for the cavalry and didn't have any feed available. This was balanced by the fact that it was largely an infantry-dominated conflict, with the cavalry largely relegated to skirmishing and reconnaissance. Indeed Sherman's troops are of course well-known for their ability to live off the land through organized deployment of "bummers" in the vanguard of the main forces. Indeed Sherman himself remarked that his troops were better fed during the Atlanta Campaign than when they were tied to their supply chain. Of course much of that is due to largely operating during the harvest season throughout that campaign. Things were tougher by the Fall, as they began to close on Savannah, but they'd been toughened by the long months of marching, and by the time Winter hit they were able to hook back up with naval supply boats. Besides which, they were largely unopposed throughout the campaign - things would have gone harder for them if the Confederates hadn't assumed that Sherman's armies were stuck in the West and left only a token force to defend.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Apr 11, 2015

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Ardent Communist posted:

The technology has changed the amount of men necessary, but the basics are the same.

As a counterpoint, I would like to offer a brief, heavily simplified, and to be honest probably pretty inaccurate summary of Western naval warfare tactics:

Ancient Period: Ram the enemy to sink them, tactics mostly consisted on finding ways to allow your captains room to maneuver against the enemy. (Not too clear on this period, the only major naval battle whose details I even vaguely recall is Salamis) Rome was a bit different in that they weren't too good at sailing (and thus maneuvering into position for a ram), so they tried to make naval battles all about boarding with their infantry. Worked well enough to beat the Carthaginians, eventually. Either way, the fact that any serious warship relied on oars placed serious logistical demands on any navy, and affected thinking in tactics - keep your oar crews fresh while wearing down those of the enemy was an important point, if possible to achieve. Keeping ships in large blobs of mutually-supporting squadrons seems to have been the main method of deployment.

Long space between Rome and about the Early Modern period: See above, alternating every so often with various refinements like Greek Fire. The greater use of sail as opposed to oars means that the weather-gage starts becoming an important point - being upwind of your enemy means you can decide where and when to engage, so tactics begins to focus on trying to acquire the weather-gage while denying it to the enemy. While rams still existed from time to time, boarding with heavy ships starts becoming the dominant tactic - during the latter stage of this period, firepower begins making an appearance as a supplement to boarding, though it isn't yet the focus of naval thinking.

Early Modern: The Italians, Dutch, and English begin experimenting with a focus on cannons and firepower instead of either ramming or boarding. One of the more famous examples of this is the much-celebrated (but not actually very effective) English showdown against the Spanish Armada - while the English didn't actually defeat the Armada (bad weather and poor logistics did), they did demonstrate that being able to hit the enemy and not get hit in return was a pretty major advantage and superior to attempts to close and grapple no matter how much better your troops were in a boarding action.

17th century to early 19th century: Firepower becomes firmly entrenched in naval thinking. Navies begin to regularly form increasingly rigid lines of battle in order to present the enemy with a solid wall of firepower. When both sides are obsessively trying to form a line of battle, however, this leads to large fleet engagements being fairly indecisive as neither side is willing to risk leaving the safety of the battle line to pursue an enemy retreating in good order. Nelson famously overturned this at Trafalgar when he led his ships forward in a double column to strike through the enemy line and engage in a general melee where each individual ship could support his fellows, but it must be said that part of the reason for this success had to do with the fact that the French and Spanish navy had recently been kept blockaded by superior British numbers for quite some time and were thus badly out of practice.

Victorian Period: poo poo gets bananas. The invention of the steam engine frees up tactical maneuvering, though it comes at the strategic cost of requiring coaling stations everywhere. Between this and in the invention of apparently invincible iron armor, there's a brief period where Classically-educated fanboys are pumped for the reintroduction of the ram as the dominant naval tactic of the day, but this is soon shown to be silly despite the occasional freak accident. With all the rapid technological changes there's a great deal of argument and debate about what the most effective tactic is, but after a lot of experimentation eventually the old line of battle centered around heavy gun-armed battleships is shown to be still be best in fleet engagements despite improvements in both armor and firepower. However...

Roughly WW1: The invention of the torpedo starts giving naval planners fits, as they have constant nightmares about tiny, cheap torpedo boats wiping out their huge, expensive battleships in a single salvo. Destroyer screens start becoming increasingly important specifically to try and intercept both torpedo boats and, worst-case scenario, the torpedoes themselves before they hit the big ships. Despite such destroyer screens, however, the enormous expense of the battleships and the incredible strategic value they represent cause admirals to become extremely cautious in their fleet deployments when it came to actual battle - one of the reasons why the Battle of Jutland was so indecisive had to do with both sides being spooked at the possibility of torpedo boats or submarines holing their nice shiny ships. Still, the line of battle remains supreme, albeit with the addition of large destroyer screens, until...

WW2: The Kido Butai takes a giant steaming poo poo on the line of battle and wipes their rear end with British battleships. Jackie Fisher's corpse begins spinning so hard it affects the rotation of the Earth. Air power is now the order of the day, and naval tactics now revolves around using airborne scouts to find the enemy and then pulverizing them with waves of attack aircraft. Direct firepower quickly starts becoming irrelevant, and while the line of battle still had its place in what gunnery duels there were, these were becoming increasingly rare. This ends up holding true for pretty much the entire the post-war era.

Modern Era: Man, I don't even know. Something something over-the-horizon missiles that can't be effectively stopped, I think? Also electronic warfare? Maybe railguns will bring battleships back? Though that's all theorycrafting anyways, it's not like anybody has fought a major naval engagement recently.

Tomn fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 11, 2015

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Next time: 70mm Projectiles, including one that was a Hollow Charge projectile fired from a Howitzer! :psyduck:

Nothing :psyduck: about that. HEAT rounds don't care about their impact velocity, so they're the preferred way to give low-velocity howitzers the ability to engage tanks over open sights if necessary. The Soviets kept issuing a few HEAT shells to all their 122mm and 152mm guns and SPGs throughout the Cold War.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Magni posted:

Nothing :psyduck: about that. HEAT rounds don't care about their impact velocity, so they're the preferred way to give low-velocity howitzers the ability to engage tanks over open sights if necessary. The Soviets kept issuing a few HEAT shells to all their 122mm and 152mm guns and SPGs throughout the Cold War.

It just struck me as weird, since I don't believe they have HEAT rounds for any of their tank guns (But I may have just not gotten to that part yet). Not to mention that Hollow Charge projectile technology was something given to them by the Germans from what I've read or is mentioned in the manual.

One of the 70mm HEAT rounds tested managed to penetrate 3 inches of naval plate, so there's that.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

I've read some very serious arguments (which I agree with at least to some degree) that the militarized aristocracy was co-opted into the officers and cavalry of early modern armies and continued on from there. This is especially apparent when looking at things like the pre-Civil War South, but was originally a European phenomenon.

Yeah, this is pretty obviously a thing even in the early 1900s. There was also the English system of purchasing commissions where the most expensive regiments were all the cavalry and other prestigious units.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Magni posted:

The great thing about 152 mm shells is that you're going to get wrecked regardless of what type of shell you get hit with.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Ensign Expendable posted:

The great thing about 152 mm shells is that you're going to get wrecked regardless of what type of shell you get hit with.

:allears:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Derp gun best gun.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

It just struck me as weird, since I don't believe they have HEAT rounds for any of their tank guns (But I may have just not gotten to that part yet). Not to mention that Hollow Charge projectile technology was something given to them by the Germans from what I've read or is mentioned in the manual.

One of the 70mm HEAT rounds tested managed to penetrate 3 inches of naval plate, so there's that.

Tank guns have much better AP penetration in relation to their HEAT penetration because the have significantly more velocity for a given diameter. For artillery that doesn't want a high velocity and flat trajectory, HEAT looks better earlier.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Jobbo_Fett posted:

1-1.5 calibers of HEAT penetration is pretty standard for that era, I wouldn't be surprised if they got German tech.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Tomn posted:

Modern Era: Man, I don't even know. Something something over-the-horizon missiles that can't be effectively stopped, I think? Also electronic warfare? Maybe railguns will bring battleships back? Though that's all theorycrafting anyways, it's not like anybody has fought a major naval engagement recently.

On that note: Apart from the Falklands War, has there been any naval engagements anywhere since WW2? As far as I know, the Argentinian Navy at the time was essentially old WW2 ships, and all it provided was that aircraft are still dangerous to fleets, but they can be fought off, the same things learnt in WW2 essentially.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

nothing to seehere posted:

On that note: Apart from the Falklands War, has there been any naval engagements anywhere since WW2? As far as I know, the Argentinian Navy at the time was essentially old WW2 ships, and all it provided was that aircraft are still dangerous to fleets, but they can be fought off, the same things learnt in WW2 essentially.

Middle East mainly IIRC. Israel taking risks with an old ship and getting the Eilat sunk, coming back in the Yom Kippur War with missile boats and a modicum of combined forces and winning handily, and the Tanker War phase of the Iran-Iraq war through US escort ops into Operation Praying Mantis.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 11, 2015

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

With the invasion of Gallipoli edging closer, it's time once again to resort to the medium of terrible MSPaint maps. The Friendly Feldwebel loses his battalion commander, and the new major is a raging arsehole. And General Joffre has been out of GQG visiting the chaps, and openly talking about his plans for the future.

Rincewind posted:

That last bit about Sulzbach was interesting, since I've never really known much about the civilians in the parts of France Germany was occupying. How was the territory run in general?

It's a neglected subject, but here, someone's kindly written a free article all about it that I in no way plan to shamelessly rip off later. With some luck and friendly units billeted on you most of the time you'd probably be okay, although you wouldn't have much of anything; but like an awful lot of things, it would undoubtedly be remembered better if the Nazis hadn't happened twenty years later.

Kaal posted:

Indeed Sherman's troops are of course well-known for their ability to live off the land through organized deployment of "bummers" in the vanguard of the main forces.

Oh God you're making that up please say you're not making that up :allears: :huh:

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

As far as I know, the Argentinian Navy at the time was essentially old WW2 ships, and all it provided was that aircraft are still dangerous to fleets, but they can be fought off, the same things learnt in WW2 essentially.

They actually had two modern Type 42 destroyers, same ones as the RN, and even a GUPPY sub could have hosed poo poo up if placed right.

What was really learned was that nuclear attack submarines are really scary, there'll always be missile/plane leakers, and that jet fuel can melt aluminum beams.

Turkson
Mar 30, 2011

Kaal posted:

As far as the American Civil War goes, while there was extensive use of rail and supply depots to keep the troops mobilized (particularly in the East), animal feed remained something that all sides generally relied on the land for (in fact they simply called it forage). In fact Grant mentions this fact specifically in his comments about meeting Lee at Appomattox Courthouse, for when Lee asks for supplies for his troops and horses, Grant replies that he's happy to supply train-borne rations but they were using forage themselves for the cavalry and didn't have any feed available. This was balanced by the fact that it was largely an infantry-dominated conflict, with the cavalry largely relegated to skirmishing and reconnaissance. Indeed Sherman's troops are of course well-known for their ability to live off the land through organized deployment of "bummers" in the vanguard of the main forces. Indeed Sherman himself remarked that his troops were better fed during the Atlanta Campaign than when they were tied to their supply chain. Of course much of that is due to largely operating during the harvest season throughout that campaign. Things were tougher by the Fall, as they began to close on Savannah, but they'd been toughened by the long months of marching, and by the time Winter hit they were able to hook back up with naval supply boats. Besides which, they were largely unopposed throughout the campaign - things would have gone harder for them if the Confederates hadn't assumed that Sherman's armies were stuck in the West and left only a token force to defend.

Can you expand on why Sherman was unopposed during his marches to Atlanta and then to the sea?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Not to mention that Hollow Charge projectile technology was something given to them by the Germans from what I've read or is mentioned in the manual.

That sounds about right. Germans seem to really have liked engineering hollow charge shells for artillery guns to be used for ad hoc direct fire anti-tank use. And they sure needed that type of foresight after invading Soviet Union and encountering more and heavier tanks than their dedicated tank and anti-tank arm could bite. This also resulted in the re-purposing of captured French (and Polish) modele 1897 guns into anti-tank guns, though it has to be said that the French had themselves paved the way for this by designing a HEAT shell for it. Germans just went a step further and put the gun on the better suited 5cm PaK 38 carriage.

What really was special about German anti-tank shells was the Stielgranate's (stick grenades) designed in 1941-42 for the then or soon thereof obsolete 37mm PaK 36 and 50mm PaK 38. It was like going back to Napoleonic artillery: the shells were oversized, so they had to be muzzle loaded (with a breech loaded propellant cartridge). They also had a very short range, around 150 metres. Practically it meant turning the gun into a giant Panzerfaust. Here's the Stielgranate for the 37mm anti-tank gun and its propellant charge.

What's really strange though is that apparently the 37mm Stielgranate 41 would also fit on the 37mm FlaK 37 AA gun, making it a ghetto version of 88mm FlaK:

Now I just want to see one on a Möbelwagen for the ultimate tank destroyer...

Oh, and then there was the regimental 150mm heavy infantry gun which of course had a HEAT shell for anti-tank use. But it also had its own Stielgranate 42, which however was something different:

quote:

Stielgranate 42 was different in fundamental ways from ordinary shells. The driving rod was loaded into the muzzle so that the finned projectile remained in front of, and outside, the barrel entirely. A special charge was loaded and would propel the projectile about 1,000 metres (1,100 yd) downrange. At about 150 metres (160 yd) distance, the driving rod would separate from the projectile. Unlike other Stielgranaten, this version was not intended for anti-tank use, but rather for the demolition of strongpoints and clearing barbed-wire obstacles and minefields by blast effect.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Well, maybe ramming is coming back into fashion.....

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

xthetenth posted:

Middle East mainly IIRC. Israel taking risks with an old ship and getting the Eilat sunk, coming back in the Yom Kippur War with missile boats and a modicum of combined forces and winning handily, and the Tanker War phase of the Iran-Iraq war through US escort ops into Operation Praying Mantis.
India and Pakistan have shot up eachother's ships during their various conflicts. There have also been a number of naval dust-ups between China, Vietnam, Malaysia, The Philippines and Taiwan over the Spratleys and other assorted godforsaken rocks in the Pacific

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Wasn't there a battle in the (now) American Southwest between some native tribe and either Spanish or Mexican (cannot remember the era) involving a siege of like a fortified mesa or something that was only cracked when they brought cannon in? I think it's a current reservation but I cannot for the life of me remember the name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Frostwerks posted:

Wasn't there a battle in the (now) American Southwest between some native tribe and either Spanish or Mexican (cannot remember the era) involving a siege of like a fortified mesa or something that was only cracked when they brought cannon in? I think it's a current reservation but I cannot for the life of me remember the name.
The Acoma Massacre?

• Locked thread