From: Dr. Guy <******@*****.edu>
Date: Thu, Apr 9, 2015 at 4:18 PM
Subject: strange envelopes
To: Payroll

received an envelope from payroll which included an opened smaller envelope from ******, in turn included a check from ****** from 1-23-2012 addressed to me. Please see items attached.

please explain what this odd correspondence means, please

Thanks,
Dr. Guy, MD

Uni Payroll said they didn't send it, then they send it to the Uni's Office of IT, who--in turn--sends it to us because they didn't do anything either.

It's not for any of our sites, nor is this doctor on our payroll. And we sure don't have a payroll queue in our ticketing system, either. :raise:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Migishu posted:

Unfortunately, I'm not personally handling it, otherwise I'd have got a small aquarium and keep him as a company mascot :3:

Looks like they're getting pest control out to catch him. Godspeed you! Fast Lizard

I hope it turns out this lizard is armed, and we get to hear about the carnage on the news.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Hungry Computer posted:

A ticket came in:

"The CD drive in my computer fell out of place?"

In their defense the drives in these Precision T3600 series towers are incredibly flimsy. I felt like I was going to break the replacement drive while testing it.

ive never seen one of these break that wasnt because they swung around and hit it while it was open

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

That's the classic laptop that's clearly fallen off the hood of a car or something with a note, "Hey, can you check out my laptop i think somethings wrong."

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

A ticket came in...

The user's team needs to access the encrypted scans of a few old checks. These checks are encrypted.

"Hey, do you guys have the encryption key for our checks?" Somehow, because encryption has anything to do with a computer, we ought to know the key.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Arishtat posted:

Resolution: Lizard is critical element in bug tracking system, let him go about his business, closing ticket.

fixed :haw:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Hungry Computer posted:

A ticket came in:

"The CD drive in my computer fell out of place?"

In their defense the drives in these Precision T3600 series towers are incredibly flimsy. I felt like I was going to break the replacement drive while testing it.

I had one that on ejecting just kept going until the tray fell out. (The motor shorted and the retaining clip snapped.) A one in a million and one of the most surreal things I've seen hardware do.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
We did an assessment for a company, they declined because they thought our services were too expensive. Months later a ticket comes in;

"Our QuickBooks file went missing. QB support can't find it on my computer either. We lost 2 years of data. Do you guys know of any way the file can be recovered? Shouldn't QuickBooks save automatically??"

:allears:

Tell me again how you thought our backup solutions were too expensive.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

QB's do save automatically, it usually asks you when you close the dang software. Hell, if you have a fairly recent version of QB within the last handful of years, it offers to save it to their cloud.

However I've seen:

people insisting on using their old qb software from 2004 instead of buying a new one
people getting upset when intuit doesn't support old fuckin software anymore
not only do they not close qb, resulting in the program not saving the data because they didnt close it
people saving it once then forgetting that this has to be a regular thing

just to name a few. People are absurd, if this is so important to you, why haven't you double checked and triple checked that if poo poo went down tomorrow, that you wouldn't be hosed?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

just to name a few. People are absurd, if this is so important to you, why haven't you double checked and triple checked that if poo poo went down tomorrow, that you wouldn't be hosed?

you're the IT guy I don't know anything about computers

lol!!

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
   6
When cheap rear end customers request to update their SSL cert to sha256 with better cipher suites...

:tinfoil: Hi please install this updated ssl certificate/key on our load balancer and remove weak ciphers.
:v: Okay.
:tinfoil: OH MY GOD NONE OF OUR SITES LOAD NOW!!!
:v: What browser are you using?
:tinfoil: We use IE8 in our office cause we're still running XP
:geno: :what:
:eng99: Sigh. Okay I've rolled back to the old setup.

:smithicide:

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So a layoff came in.

The big client I support just filed for bankruptcy protection. Got a call from my big boss while starting to get ready to move. I have one more week of work then I'm done.

:yotj:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Prescription Combs posted:

When cheap rear end customers request to update their SSL cert to sha256 with better cipher suites...

:tinfoil: Hi please install this updated ssl certificate/key on our load balancer and remove weak ciphers.
:v: Okay.
:tinfoil: OH MY GOD NONE OF OUR SITES LOAD NOW!!!
:v: What browser are you using?
:tinfoil: We use IE8 in our office cause we're still running XP
:geno: :what:
:eng99: Sigh. Okay I've rolled back to the old setup.

:smithicide:

You can still have SHA-256 certs and a cipher suite that supports IE8, the fact that the certificate is signed using SHA-256 has no effect on the cipher suites.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

blackswordca posted:

So a layoff came in.

The big client I support just filed for bankruptcy protection. Got a call from my big boss while starting to get ready to move. I have one more week of work then I'm done.

:yotj:
Lol wtf dude. RIP

e: Re cipher/ssl changes. We recently did something to ours and two of our third-party vendors could no longer communicate RESTful callbacks to us. I'm a developer on a Rails app.

Told my boss this looks like a firewall or network thing, because it works on our test production server, it worked a week ago when we were developing, and the code hasn't changed - did you change anything like that? He says no.

2.5 days of work later spent across two issues and I narrow it down to definitely that change he made that he didn't tell me about.

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 11, 2015

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
   6

spankmeister posted:

You can still have SHA-256 certs and a cipher suite that supports IE8, the fact that the certificate is signed using SHA-256 has no effect on the cipher suites.

Yep. Some minor details were left out. Ended up just adjusting the cipher suites in the end.

Still.. IE8 and running XP in your development office? GIve me a break.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Prescription Combs posted:

Yep. Some minor details were left out. Ended up just adjusting the cipher suites in the end.

Still.. IE8 and running XP in your development office? GIve me a break.
The change I described previously had the same impact, but we lol'ed at it because gently caress you if you are running XP and IE8.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

blackswordca posted:

So a layoff came in.

The big client I support just filed for bankruptcy protection. Got a call from my big boss while starting to get ready to move. I have one more week of work then I'm done.

:yotj:
Weren't you contracted out and will you just move to another placement?

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
   6

KoRMaK posted:

The change I described previously had the same impact, but we lol'ed at it because gently caress you if you are running XP and IE8.

Yeah. They tried to make a big fuss and demand a credit memo for their perceived 'downtime'. :lol:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Really, just gently caress Quickbooks. So many problems with that software, it's such a fickle piece of poo poo.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

blackswordca posted:

So a layoff came in.

The big client I support just filed for bankruptcy protection. Got a call from my big boss while starting to get ready to move. I have one more week of work then I'm done.

:yotj:

This is what happens when you entrap your clientele.

Seriously though, that sucks dude.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Really, just gently caress Quickbooks. So many problems with that software, it's such a fickle piece of poo poo.

Absolutely agreed. I've never successfully put together a scenario where qb file is on the server, qb is installed on client computers, and auto backups work consistently overnight.

Their auto backup solution is utter poo poo and I think it's on purpose to promote their online backup services.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Migishu posted:

Seriously though, that sucks dude.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Migishu posted:

This is what happens when you entrap your clientele.

Pretty much this. It's your fault they went bankrupt, you should have worked harder! That's why we're withholding your pay too.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

KoRMaK posted:

The change I described previously had the same impact, but we lol'ed at it because gently caress you if you are running XP and IE8.

My workplace is still running XP because the Operations Manager who has final say over all software hates change.

Yes, he knows that literally all our systems are vulnerable, still won't do anything.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Really, just gently caress Quickbooks. So many problems with that software, it's such a fickle piece of poo poo.

This is where I promote Xero again as an alternative to Quickbooks. Should have some Operations jobs show up on our careers page Soon™ as well.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

GreenBuckanneer posted:

just to name a few. People are absurd, if this is so important to you, why haven't you double checked and triple checked that if poo poo went down tomorrow, that you wouldn't be hosed?

My mom ran her own business for years, and when she switched to Quickbooks around 2001, I showed her how to make a backup of her computer every month. Started on floppies, transitioned to CDRs and eventually DVDRs. Even brought the disks home too. All of this came in handy when someone broke into her office one night and set the place on fire.
By the next day I had QBs running on her new computers and she only lost a single days worth of entries. To be fair, the drives in the old computers still worked, so I was able to make an image of them and ran them in a VM if I needed to.

But yea, I don't get how something that is integral to someone's job just gets ignored like that. "My entire business relies on this data, it sure would suck if it disappeared tomorrow, but oh well, computers are hard!"

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

blackswordca posted:

So a layoff came in.

The big client I support just filed for bankruptcy protection. Got a call from my big boss while starting to get ready to move. I have one more week of work then I'm done.

:yotj:

I'm so sorry, I still remember all the hard times you had before. Please find somewhere good, don't go back to where you were before. And I'm sure you have stories, you must know why they are going bankrupt. I assume incompetence is part of it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

CitizenKain posted:

My mom ran her own business for years, and when she switched to Quickbooks around 2001, I showed her how to make a backup of her computer every month. Started on floppies, transitioned to CDRs and eventually DVDRs. Even brought the disks home too. All of this came in handy when someone broke into her office one night and set the place on fire.
By the next day I had QBs running on her new computers and she only lost a single days worth of entries. To be fair, the drives in the old computers still worked, so I was able to make an image of them and ran them in a VM if I needed to.

But yea, I don't get how something that is integral to someone's job just gets ignored like that. "My entire business relies on this data, it sure would suck if it disappeared tomorrow, but oh well, computers are hard!"

There's a huge number of company directors who either think that computers are a nice-to-have rather than a necessity, think that everyone talking to them about IT spending is out to scam them, aren't interested in listening, or a combination of all of that.

We have a client with about 40 employees and every time there is a major outage the following happens:

:argh: This vital service has gone down again, this is costing our business thousands! Why does this keep happening and when is it going to be fixed?
:smith: Uh, it's power outage at your main location. Everything is on a UPS and has shut down cleanly, but we can't really do anything until the power comes back on. Your staff can work from home and get emails at http://whatever
:argh: But what about all the files we had saved on our file server?
:smith: That's powered off at the moment. You have an offsite backup but no server to restore the files onto, was there a specific directory you needed access to?
:argh: No we need access to everything, why does none of our IT ever work!

A few days after the power is back and the services are back to normal...

:smith: Hey so we've written a proposal for ensuring that you won't be as badly impacted by power outages at your offices again, it involves some upgrades to your infrastructure and some cloud butt products to ensure the contents of your file server are always available. Can we come and present it sometime?
:argh: We don't have any budget for IT this year, just keep what we have running.
:smith: :suicide:

Rinse, repeat. Every. loving. Time. Never be scared of ditching terrible clients.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

think that everyone talking to them about IT spending is out to scam them
To be fair that's probably conditioned by telemarketing scumbags who call them trying to sell IT solutions and are out to scam them.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Dunno-Lars posted:

I'm so sorry, I still remember all the hard times you had before. Please find somewhere good, don't go back to where you were before. And I'm sure you have stories, you must know why they are going bankrupt. I assume incompetence is part of it.

Given where he is (Alberta) and the state of oil, its possible its just "whelp, oil is tanked, company is done". Which ties into incompetence in not adequately planning for inevitable industry lows.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Collateral Damage posted:

To be fair that's probably conditioned by telemarketing scumbags who call them trying to sell IT solutions and are out to scam them.

I totally get that, but you'd think that if you had an ongoing relationship with an MSP and it was a generally successful one that you wouldn't have your guard up so much, but I don't know how these people think.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

I totally get that, but you'd think that if you had an ongoing relationship with an MSP and it was a generally successful one that you wouldn't have your guard up so much, but I don't know how these people think.

This is us we don't charge labor on projects with people we have service agreements on nobody makes money on hardware anymore but we can't convince people to buy anything. I mean it's not like I am tricking them I really don't want to lug some 100+ pound UPS into their racks but they need them.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I guess it's the "IT is a cost centre" thinking taken to extremes.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

We're about to go through a similar problem with pretty much all of our clients in the next few months here. We have ~1300 unique client accounts. Each account will need to be updated for EMV compliance. Preferably before October. This isn't going to happen, the bosses can dream. Anyway, pretty much every established credit card terminal is going end of life because none of them can handle the new file structure needed for EMV processing. The new terminals that are coming out typically have two flavors: NFC/Smart Chip readers or just Smart Chip readers. I've been pushing for us to start deploying NFC/SC combos because we don't know how standards will change in the next year, and NFC could really take off. However, the SC-only terminals tend to be a couple hundred dollars cheaper overall, so my boss and our clients and our sales people are pushing those instead. I wouldn't care otherwise, but I know in a year, when the NFC/SC combos have a lot of inexpensive refurbs floating around that we can grab, I'm going to be going back out to a year's worth of clients and replacing their terminals to add NFC functionality to them.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sort of related to that, at a previous job I used to deal with supporting some of our retail outlets, and they weren't staffed by the brightest and best to say the least. They would frequently knock the card terminals onto the floor which would activate the security measures causing the devices to lock down and erase all their keys. Because for some insane reason the person who managed the retail outlets was responsible for the technology spending as well, they didn't have any sort of support contract that would provide a hot-spare, advance replacement, next-day replacement or anything like that - each terminal would be couriered back to the provider and swapped out.

One week they got down to 50% of their EPoS systems able to process card transactions due the things being in transit for repairs, and I think we turned up with a quotation for under $100 per terminal to put them onto those SpacePole mounts that everyone uses. Nope, too expensive. But in the same breath able to tell us that they were probably losing $300+ a day due to not having these terminals operating. I don't think they even realised what they were saying.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

KoRMaK posted:

Lol wtf dude. RIP

e: Re cipher/ssl changes. We recently did something to ours and two of our third-party vendors could no longer communicate RESTful callbacks to us. I'm a developer on a Rails app.

Told my boss this looks like a firewall or network thing, because it works on our test production server, it worked a week ago when we were developing, and the code hasn't changed - did you change anything like that? He says no.

So they changed the name they're using on the cert? AKA not FQDN?

Does scripting interactions between applications via REST/rest platforms make someone a developer? I'm only asking because I do that and never considered myself one.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Thanks Ants posted:

[...]

I think retail, heck most businesses, look at any expense that isn't recommended by a consultant and just knee-jerk saying no. Yes, I realize how that sounds.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Siochain posted:

Given where he is (Alberta) and the state of oil, its possible its just "whelp, oil is tanked, company is done". Which ties into incompetence in not adequately planning for inevitable industry lows.

Pretty much this with a little incompetence mixed in. I posed it on facebook and had half a dozen people ask me for a resume so i dont think ill be out long.

  • Locked thread