Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Huh... So if you are having trouble making weight make sure your electrolytes are in check. I wasn't even trying to cut weight but I've pissed and sweated out 10kg in a two weeks in pretty 100% water after I started taking a potassium supplement. Bodyweight exercises sure got easy.

I've been doing some TMAish stuff lately and there's something to be said for them for non-athletic goofs like me. All the body control stuff we keep doing seems to help quite a bit with BJJ and too. Plus you know... I think I'm finally learning how to actually kick proper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Funny thing, I haven't been able to train that much for a month or two and have lost about 15 lbs of weight. At least. I had to buy a new belt to keep my pants up :\

I'm never hungry if I don't train or hit the weights room regularly, and so I forget to eat :v:

(Or then I have some horrible disease or ailment I'm not aware of.)

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

That was great

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Also...

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

... Quite a good tool for seeing your form though. Going to have to do another with boxing. My boxing is terrible and only recently has gotten decent

I'm poo poo at boxing (as in "fighting against an opponent, using two arms, and with many rules") and get punched in the nose against trained guys. (Regular people need not apply: nobody who doesn't train at 100% or at least almost fully resisting partners can ever hold against someone who does, really.) But I'm not quite that poo poo at explaining boxing - or punching - (two different things) to people! :haw:

If you make another video, perhaps try to make one where we can see you instead of the bag. What happens to the bag is of little consequence after all. The worst puncher in the world can make a bag heave and move around merely by shoving it. You could pretty much leave the bag out completely: we'll be able to figure out your punching or striking far better with only the dude and without the bag, and not the otherwise around.

A flying piece of
Feb 28, 2010
NO THEY ARE NOT THE SAME THING AS CHEX
Hey guys! It's been a while since I've inserted some HEMA stuff into this thread. Have a cool video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8Oq5cTGD84

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
I've been doing judo for a year and a half in Arizona (I really liked the club there) but I recently moved to SF for work. I started attending a club here recommended by one of my former instructor but this new place isn't really working for me. The instructors are obviously knowledgeable about judo but they're bad teachers. At my previous club, the classes were structured; we did warmups, some practice uchikomi to get loose and work on technique, then the teacher would focus on a specific throw for that day, demonstrating it multiple times, explaining common mistakes, showing counters, etc. He would then break us off into groups to practice the move and observe us, making corrections when needed, etc. Later we would do randori (with the teacher actively watching) to practice the move we learned that day.

The new club I've been going to lacks all this supervision and structure. After bow-ins the warmups are almost always done by brown-belts with many of the younger students goofing off. The uchikomi practice is normally done at a breakneck pace with no rest, to the point where 3 mins in you're so exhausted that your form breaks down. The instructors seem to have a hard time communicating the proper steps for a throw and rarely demonstrate it more then twice. After the "instruction" is done, they tell you to go practice it for 15 mins and wander off to talk with others instructors near the front desk. Randori is basically open mat, which I suppose is fine for the higher ranked students, but as a green belt I really wish I could get some critique from black belts while sparing.

tl;dr I'm thinking about switching clubs, possibly to jiu-jitsu. This is a long shot but does anyone have any experience with the Gracie jiu jitsu clubs in San Francisco (in particular the one on Taraval St. which I live close to)? I've heard that Gracie places are generally good but also more corporate (you have to buy their gi or something)? I plan on walking and and observing a class tonight to see what it's like.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
wow that came off very rantish, sorry bout that

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Can you win by ko in hema?

A flying piece of
Feb 28, 2010
NO THEY ARE NOT THE SAME THING AS CHEX

Novum posted:

Can you win by ko in hema?

Not in the tournaments I'm familiar with. Being able to consistently knock someone out through a fencing mask with a metal rod is life-threatening levels of force. I've seen people briefly lose consciousness, but it's not encouraged.

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Well, at least now it's over.

Kuvo posted:

tl;dr I'm thinking about switching clubs, possibly to jiu-jitsu. This is a long shot but does anyone have any experience with the Gracie jiu jitsu clubs in San Francisco (in particular the one on Taraval St. which I live close to)? I've heard that Gracie places are generally good but also more corporate (you have to buy their gi or something)? I plan on walking and and observing a class tonight to see what it's like.

Sounds like some valid concerns Kuvo- I feel like the standardized structure of Judo classes is an important aspect of the learning experience, and it does send up some red flags if instructors are failing to properly explain/demo techniques and not keeping an eye on you guys while you practice or spar- that could actually be dangerous. You could try being a little more assertive and respectfully asking the black belts to observe and critique your technique to demonstrate your interest in receiving individual instruction, but it sounds like you might be feeling a bit of personal beef with the place too, and in that case it's not a bad idea to explore your other options.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

A flying piece of posted:

Not in the tournaments I'm familiar with. Being able to consistently knock someone out through a fencing mask with a metal rod is life-threatening levels of force. I've seen people briefly lose consciousness, but it's not encouraged.

We want to dress up our Batto Do teacher in HEMA gear and let him loose at Longpoint, but we're also pretty sure he'd literally kill someone with a steel feder.

Also, here's a promo for Longpoint 2015 that a friend made! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8Oq5cTGD84

*edit* dammit

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 10, 2015

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

A flying piece of posted:

Hey guys! It's been a while since I've inserted some HEMA stuff into this thread. Have a cool video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8Oq5cTGD84

The ratio of slo-mo sparring/crowd shots to actual speed fights was allll out of whack. Needs more proper fights and less wank.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Hema alway sounds real dumb but when you see it, it really does look pretty badass.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Xguard86 posted:

Hema alway sounds real dumb but when you see it, it really does look pretty badass.

Agreed

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
This is a pretty great video about open guard. Just wanted to share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pnq9mN2odAg

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Xguard86 posted:

Especially knife stuff, I don't care too much for the longsword. I'm getting into Irish stick fighting at the moment because the footwork is basically boxing

edit: could someone recommend me a foam roller?

Rabhadh fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Apr 10, 2015

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
A plain PVC pipe makes for the best foam roller.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Xguard86 posted:

Oh yeah. Same here.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
My dojo has declared next Friday as HERO TRAINING DAY where everyone is to forego their normal uniforms/gi's in favour of a hero costume I've decided I'm going as HULK HOGAN (a childhood hero)...

Can't wait to work a takedown and drop a Legdrop on someone...

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Gaz2k21 posted:

My dojo has declared next Friday as HERO TRAINING DAY where everyone is to forego their normal uniforms/gi's in favour of a hero costume I've decided I'm going as HULK HOGAN (a childhood hero)...

I dont know what discipline you train but i want in

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Novum posted:

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

General Emergency posted:

This is a pretty great video about open guard. Just wanted to share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pnq9mN2odAg

Yeah that was a great 26 mins especially for a newb. My constant problem is not taking initiative enough ( or often, ever ) and so I always end up waiting for the other guy to complete his pass or whatever and then I start trying to think about how to get out of it. Why not control that transition to try to end up favourably instead of just letting them do what they're planning to do? I've asked advice a few times in this thread and the grappling thread and that always seems to be at least part of, if not the, answer. Eventually with enough repetition and as I get exposed to more situations ( and retain more strategies/moves ) I think it'll help for sure.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Gaz2k21 posted:

Get mummy make up a judo gi and a red belt. Go as helio Gracie.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Gaz2k21 posted:

Oh man that would be sweet, I'd dress up as Art jimmerson and do BJJ with one boxing glove on.

also on weight thing. I find it really easy to put on and lose weight these days - it all depends on my discipline which seems to cycle. Because of Easter and birthdays and stuff in my family around this time (and because I've been pretty good since xmas) I've been eating like a pig, gained about 4 kgs I assume most of which is water retention because I don't eat a lot of carbs normally. Then the last four days I didn't eat more than 20 grams of carbs in a day and I'm back down to 72kg. Going back to my gym routine of 4 days a week and playing in door soccer on Thursdays this week. Might try to go full retard keto for three weeks and see where I'm at. I'm really curious as to how light I can get just by cutting out cheat day on saturday and eating take away on friday night probably have to stop smashing beers every weekend too but I think I might be able to drop from competing mostly at LW in BJJ to FW which might improve my chances if I bother to compete again later this year.

It's also kind of funny after eating like a piggy I found myself noticing my love handles and stuff when I lay in bed, just felt weird like I was wearing extra skin. How in the hell I was ever 112kgs (246 lbs) I'll never know.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

My grappling coach sent me a text yesterday, and said "make sure you're in class tonight, something really cool is going on". I was going anyway, but sounds interesting. So I turn up, and there's a guy that's phoned him up, and asked if he can come and train with us for a month whilst he's in the area. It turns out to be four time European Champion Luke Costello!

Which is awesome!

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

you should go to a tournament in the jimmerson costume but be better than everyone so you can tap to mount in the championship round.

You'll be the Andy Kauffman of bjj.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Had a trial class today with the gracie juijitsu place near me and it went really well! Everyone was really chill and the two blackbelt instructors were really good at explaining everything. After doing judo so long it feels really wrong to grab peoples legs but i guess i'll get use to it. Not exactly thrilled about having to buy a new gi and sign a contract but I think this place will work out way better for me then the judo gym I was going to.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Gracie Barra?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Always wondered how those places were. They're loving everywhere and keep popping up. A dedicated BJJ place seems cool but I like to mix it up

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I think they're all right, but I don't really like the curriculum because in a 1 hour class you're spending like 15-20 warming up. Like I do that poo poo at home before coming to class...

And then you waste a bunch of time drilling self-defense techniques before you're doing actual work on the mat.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Ugh don't even get me started. New place I'm at is the first I've been to that has classes well over an hour. Pretty much until we're done. Not really a set time.

Like look I can do burpees and slay myself on my own time. An hour goes by fast. Standard should be at least 1.5-2 hours

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
have to agree with these criticisms, i strongly considered changing gyms because of them. 1 hour isn't enough time to properly drill techniques, let alone 45 minutes.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

1st AD posted:

waste a bunch of time drilling self-defense techniques before you're doing actual work on the mat.

By waste do you mean that you don't do them with enough resistance or just doing them at all?

Because I would agree if they're stilted and unrealistic but if you're doing them with aliveness, remembering the basics for sd is important and good

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I

Novum posted:

train in Muay Thai but it's for all classes that day which involves juniors Karate followed by the main Karate class then Muay Thai at the end.
I'm going in with my camera for the first two classes then I'll rope someone in to shoot photo's whilst I train.

I was going to be a Power Ranger but I don't have the physique for all that skintight Lycra....

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Alreet, looking for some advice. I do BJJ and recently I've been getting slight pains at the back of my ears and knuckle joints (not my thumb and forefinger though for some reason). Anyone had anything like this before? Any advice? Cheers.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
For ears/ear-backs, my best guess would be that you're spending too much time/effort/strength trying to get out of guillotines etc. (even if this is the case, "nah its just all those doublelegs i'm hittin'" is an acceptable response)

I'm not sure on the knuckle thing, although if you're training gi I'd guess it has something to do with grip-fighting and how that's straining areas that aren't used to it.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Now you mention it, since i started no gi, i have been getting guillotined a lot... Yeah that could be it thanks.

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

Goddamn Shenmue.

Morning Bell
Feb 23, 2006

Illegal Hen
This is a rare thing to talk about, but anyone got experience in quitting?

I've been training BJJ regularly for a touch over two years and I want to do that. A combination money+work+life stuff is in the way so I can't train regularly (and not training regularly is awful), I've never had as much drive for BJJ as most other practitioners, haven't been enjoying it it at all for months now, it's a huge financial and time drain and current priorities lie elsewhere, etc etc - so I plan to cancel my membership, go lift weights at a cheap gym, and re-evaluate in a while.

My club is cool and coach is rad, but I've never talked to him outside of class. What's the etiquette - any advice on doing this politely? Anyone else go through a similar thing and then re-start training (or not)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Stop going and if you feel like continuing then go back and say "yeah wasn't feeling it at the time"? I dunno seems like a really non-problem.

• Locked thread