Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Milanese loop would be awesome for suits and more formal, but really stupid for t-shirts etc.

Yeah that's exactly how I feel. The most I get dressed up for is at work. At best that's either a button up shirt/polo and jeans. I feel like buckle could work for either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I decided to sit out the preorder despite being up at midnight and watching the Apple Store app. I'm really curious to see what happens to the product over the next few months, but just couldn't bite the early adopter bullet. Best of luck to everyone who preordered with their new toy! We'll see what WWDC holds for the rest of Apple's lineup. Maybe it'll convince me to jump on a Watch, especially if refurbs show up in the store at some point.

I buy all iDevice poo poo day 1 but decided the second year or whatever of the Watch would somehow be better so I'm waiting too...

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

3 posted:

I wear a mesh band on the regular (I also wear a blazer for work on the regular so it's not too out of place) so I was pleasantly surprised that the 38mm SS Milanese hadn't hit June territory yet; I've heard the Milanese described as more "feminine" but in my experience a steel mesh is universally slick, and I have tiny baby wrists anyway. I'm sure there's already at least a dozen third-party NATO straps for when I want to keep it more casual.
:hfive: steel mesh bros

I remember checking out watches years ago and the only one that caught my eye was a Breitling with (black!) mesh which looked awesome and felt really nice. Of course it was something like $12-15K so no way in hell I'd buy one any time soon. I was irrationally excited when Apple first showed it off as part of their bands, then relieved it was announced at $150. And hell, I've been checking out NATO straps recently too, kinda leaning towards those over the sport band right now but I'll wait and see how those actually turn out.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I tried the watch out at the apple store yesterday and tried real hard to find anything good about it that would justify the price but drew blank. The UI is atrociously bad and the sports models look extremely cheap and filmsy. Definitely sitting this one out.

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!

keyframe posted:

I tried the watch out at the apple store yesterday and tried real hard to find anything good about it that would justify the price but drew blank. The UI is atrociously bad and the sports models look extremely cheap and filmsy. Definitely sitting this one out.

You are The first person I see expressing This view (on The flimsiness) care to elaborate? Genuinely curious what feels cheap? The bands? The watch itself? Some opinion on silver and black?

E. I really need to setup na english keyboard on The iPad....

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

keyframe posted:

I just got back and agree. The steel versions look alright, but the sport models look like garbage - I'd put them above the plastic android wear watches, but below the Pebble Steel and Moto 360. I suppose the space gray version is tolerable, but it doesn't seem like it'll hold up well over time. I'd be okay with this at ~$200, maybe $250, but not at $350+. Design is extremely well executed, but I think it is too thick and...square? to be liked as universally as needed to become as ubiquitous as the iPhone. The UI is extremely smooth and seems like there is a lot of room for growth, but it is overly complex, and I'm not sold on the idea of wanting that much utility in my smart watch; too fiddly. Screen is fantastic and crushes anything else out there right now. Build quality on the steel version is very nice, but it is still very much a mass-produced Apple product: it struck me as what most things should be built like (solid, well thought out, not "cheap" feeling), but not much more. I'm not sure how sold non-tech people will be on it - it comes closer to being something enjoyable and attractive to wear than other smart watches, but it is still dominated by a display and buttons and very much a gadget.

IuniusBrutus fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 11, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't think the Sports look cheap, exactly, but they definitely look like they'd be more at home next to fitness trackers than watches. They don't feel cheap or flimsy at all, though. The black aluminum looks better than the silver, but the polished steel looks better than the black steel.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Something I am reading online is that all the leather loop was on a 4-6 week delivery when the store opened yesterday. Can anyone confirm?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Dirk Pitt posted:

Something I am reading online is that all the leather loop was on a 4-6 week delivery when the store opened yesterday. Can anyone confirm?
If my memory serves, I think that's correct. It was the same with 42mm link bracelet.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Endless Mike posted:

I don't think the Sports look cheap, exactly, but they definitely look like they'd be more at home next to fitness trackers than watches. They don't feel cheap or flimsy at all, though. The black aluminum looks better than the silver, but the polished steel looks better than the black steel.

They're not even good as fitness trackers beyond running or biking because they're too loving thick and will also very likely get damaged if you try to use it while playing contact sports.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
To follow up to my brief comments yesterday:

The SS watches look great, but would look even better as a mechanical watch. The sport models look like cheap crap. For some reason when that aluminum is used in something much smaller and more detailed than a MacBook it looks cheap. The sport bands feel pretty good, good enough in fact that the basic leather band isn't worth the extra money as it feels almost exactly the same. The milanese loop clear-cut a ring around my wrist by pulling out most of my arm hair, but that was mostly my fault when I let the magnet fall on its own. The link bracelet looks great, but is painful for someone with arm hair, more so I think than other link bracelets. It is thicker than it looks like it should be given the size of the face, but not too thick to be a watch. Many modern mens watches are very think, but also much larger.

The OS is very complicated. Even getting past the variety of input methods, there is just too much going on. The home screen is going to be useless when you start adding lots of apps, and any screens that are text heavy look very dated and cluttered. Some of the screens have tiny navigation buttons on the top left of the screen (looking' at you, Maps) that are almost impossible to use. Taptic (as an input device) feels much better on the new MacBooks, but the taptic feedback for notifications has a lot of room for potential. The digital crown it he biggest disappointment. I had high expectations (what with Gruber's use of 'lubricity' to describe it, which should have actually been oleaginous I think) but it felt disconnected from the OS. You have to turn it slowly and consistently or it skips and misses input. Spinning it quickly causes the OS to ignore the input. It's also easy to accidentally move it while attempting to manipulate something else.

In general: using this thing is a chore. It can't stand on its own for any one purpose: it's a mediocre watch that isn't always on, it's a mediocre activity monitor, it's a poor communications device. The difference between looking at my wrist to see who is calling or texting and pulling my phone out to check doesn't justify this. If it is so urgent that I see who's calling I should be expecting a call and have my phone ready. If the situation doesn't allow me to look at my phone I probably shouldn't be looking at my watch, either.

I'm really not sure where this product is going to go, but this isn't the first time I've gone into an Apple store on launch day with skepticism. It is, however, the first time I've gone in with skepticism and left without the new device (I cancelled my pre-order). When the iPad came out I wasn't really interested based on what I read about it, but when I tried it in store I had to have it and bought one on the spot. With this, the more exposure I've had the less interested I am. My excitement peaked last year with the initial announcement and has fallen with each subsequent event. The March event disappointed me, the 3 tutorial videos they've released so far increased my concern, the reviews further fueled my hesitation, and finally using one in person sealed the deal: this isn't for me.

Jealous Cow fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 11, 2015

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Dirk Pitt posted:

I was on the store the minute it went back up and yep, 4 - 6 weeks for the leather loop. Apple claims they can deliver the actual strap on its own in 2 weeks though! Makes sense!

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Has the watch OS been updated to address the latency issues?

I'm disappointed that the device isn't turning out as anticipated and I'll be waiting this one out but I do see that there's certainly some potential in a wearable device.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Jealous Cow posted:

The SS watches look great, but would look even better as a mechanical watch. The sport models look like cheap crap. For some reason when that aluminum is used in something much smaller and more detailed than a MacBook it looks cheap. The sport bands feel pretty good, good enough in fact that the basic leather band isn't worth the extra money as it feels almost exactly the same. The milanese loop clear-cut a ring around my wrist by pulling out most of my arm hair, but that was mostly my fault when I let the magnet fall on its own. The link bracelet looks great, but is painful for someone with arm hair, more so I think than other link bracelets. It is thicker than it looks like it should be given the size of the face, but not too thick to be a watch. Many modern mens watches are very think, but also much larger.

The OS is very complicated. Even getting past the variety of input methods, there is just too much going on. The home screen is going to be useless when you start adding lots of apps, and any screens that are text heavy look very dated and cluttered. Some of the screens have tiny navigation buttons on the top left of the screen (looking' at you, Maps) that are almost impossible to use. Taptic (as an input device) feels much better on the new MacBooks, but the taptic feedback for notifications has a lot of room for potential. The digital crown it he biggest disappointment. I had high expectations (what with Gruber's use of 'lubricity' to describe it, which should have actually been oleaginous I think) but it felt disconnected from the OS. You have to turn it slowly and consistently or it skips and misses input. Spinning it quickly causes the OS to ignore the input. It's also easy to accidentally move it while attempting to manipulate something else.

In general: using this thing is a chore. It can't stand on its own for any one purpose: it's a mediocre watch that isn't always on, it's a mediocre activity monitor, it's a poor communications device. The difference between looking at my wrist to see who is calling or texting and pulling my own out to check doesn't justify this. If it is so urgent that I see who's calling I should be expecting a call and have my phone ready. If the situation doesn't allow me to look at my phone I probably shouldn't be looking at my watch, either.

I'm really not sure where this product is going to go, but this isn't the first time I've gone into an Apple store on launch day with skepticism. It is, however, the first time I've gone in with skepticism and left without the new device (I cancelled my pre-order). When the iPad came out I wasn't really interested based on what I read about it, but when I tried it in store I had to have it and bought one on the spot. With this, the more exposure I've had the less interested I am. My excitement peaked last year with the initial announcement and has fallen with each subsequent event. The March event disappointed me, the 3 tutorial videos they've released so far increased my concern, the reviews further fueled my hesitation, and finally using one in person sealed the deal: this isn't for me.

HAHAHHAHAHAH

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

Has the watch OS been updated to address the latency issues?

I'm disappointed that the device isn't turning out as anticipated and I'll be waiting this one out but I do see that there's certainly some potential in a wearable device.

The interactive demos that I played with were pretty snappy with the exception of maps which probably took a full second to load.

Overall this is a much more powerful and useful device than an android wear notification proxy watch. So yeah that imposes some additional complexity on the UI. But from my time with the Watch, it's something that takes 5-10 minutes to get used to and you can explore as you go along.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

monkeu posted:

HAHAHHAHAHAH

I don't see what's so funny about this reasonable and clearly written post

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Wanted to try it on before I bought it, big mistake.

BAM June delivery for a 42 SS with Milanese.

Still bought it, figure if they announce they'll have limited stock on launch day in store I'll cancel my order if I can pull off getting in line at a reasonable (for Apple Launch day) time.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I think when the iPad came out, it was easy to understand because the UI was the same as the phone. With the watch, the UI is completely different and takes a little time to learn. I couldn't quite figure out how to do everything in the store, but I feel playing with it for a day or two, things will be fine.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

shodanjr_gr posted:

The interactive demos that I played with were pretty snappy with the exception of maps which probably took a full second to load.

Overall this is a much more powerful and useful device than an android wear notification proxy watch. So yeah that imposes some additional complexity on the UI. But from my time with the Watch, it's something that takes 5-10 minutes to get used to and you can explore as you go along.

How is it more useful as an Android Wear watch right now? I own a 360 and fail to see what the Apple watch can do that mine can't. Save for things like sending heartbeats etc.

Now don't get me wrong - I know the app support will be much better on the Apple Watch and that is when it will most likely take over AW

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

triple sulk posted:

I don't see what's so funny about this reasonable and clearly written post

If only I could find a single benefit to this irredeemable product! STEVE!! :qq:

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

monkeu posted:

If only I could find a single benefit to this irredeemable product! STEVE!! :qq:

Or, consider this:

Company with a history of bringing wildly successful and innovative products to market releases a new product. It may be reasonable for one to go into it expecting to like this new product, and maybe even give it the benefit of the doubt while trying to figure out why a lot of very smart people at Apple think the device is worth releasing.

This particular product? I can see the promise, but it isn't for me, and it might not ever be. But this particular version isn't something, at the moment, I want to wear every day.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

monkeu posted:

I don't think any part of his post came off that way. Apple just hasn't figured out how to make a niche product category have massive, widespread appeal yet beyond "oh new Apple product!" That is the driving force behind the personalization and fashion aspects of the watch. Unfortunately, the vast majority of models aren't really cutting it in that aspect as well, at least for the money.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Well I just had the WORST experience at an Apple Store

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

How is it more useful as an Android Wear watch right now? I own a 360 and fail to see what the Apple watch can do that mine can't. Save for things like sending heartbeats etc.

Now don't get me wrong - I know the app support will be much better on the Apple Watch and that is when it will most likely take over AW

Acting on notifications is better, the watch faces are better and more informative, messaging is more robust, there is tons of other functionality (maps, camera view finder, fitness and activity tracking). Maybe some of that stuff exists on android wear too but none of the reviews and post mortems that I've read on have convinced me that it's good as anything else other than a notification and Google now proxy on your wrist.

From my apple watch time it feels that almost all of functionality is well integrated, extremely polished and easily accessible. I could actually see myself using most of those things.

Grimmeh
May 9, 2004

...Putting The Fun Back Into The Funeral
I tried on the ⌚️ today, too - it was interesting. I unfortunately knew more about it how to use one than the representative that was asked to show me how to use one. I favorited the 42mm Space Grey with Black sports band. Great size, and the weight is just right. To me it didn't feel cheap at all and I liked the sport band. Of all of the other bands, the milanaise loop was the standout - the magnet was surprisingly strong - as the rest of them were kind of thin and felt cheap (didn't bother with the crazy link bracelet).

As for the WatchOS itself, swiping around has a few hiccups here and there, mostly with a noticeable visual delay, but no huge issues. It will definitely take some time to get used to the interface. Right now I really hate the force touch (touch hard on the screen) - I feel like it's unclear how hard to do it and for how long and the feedback from the watch is lacking since you can't see the screen itself while doing it (I believe it gives you a tap, but not sure). I'm most interested in filtering down my notifications and getting them on my wrist and delegating my Fitbit to sleep-monitor duty only. The watch faces were neat and had a good amount of customizability.

I might get one as a gift, though it's definitely not a NEED item.

(By the way, for those planning on going to try one, you only get to wear watches running a demo that you can't interact with. It runs through an animation and demos the wrist tap. To actually interact with a functioning one, you have to go to another station and play with one that's fuzed to a plastic base.)

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

shodanjr_gr posted:

Acting on notifications is better, the watch faces are better and more informative, messaging is more robust, there is tons of other functionality (maps, camera view finder, fitness and activity tracking). Maybe some of that stuff exists on android wear too but none of the reviews and post mortems that I've read on have convinced me that it's good as anything else other than a notification and Google now proxy on your wrist.

From my apple watch time it feels that almost all of functionality is well integrated, extremely polished and easily accessible. I could actually see myself using most of those things.

The majority of what you mentioned can also be done on AW. Actually basically all of it. The best part is a Google now proxy is what you want. I don't want to sit on my watch any more than a few seconds or else it doesn't make any sense to be using it. I might as well pull out my phone. All I need to do is say "give me directions to 123 fake street", not scroll around a 2 inch screen looking for points of interest on a map.

Dr. Video Games 0050 fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 12, 2015

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

zen death robot posted:

Monkeu is just doing his old ycs gimmick here now lmao

Drawing attention to idiots posting like idiots was apparently my gimmick. Here I go again :laugh:

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

The majority of what you mentioned can also be done on AW. Actually basically all of it. The best part is a Google now proxy is what you want. I don't want to sit on my watch any more than a few seconds or else it doesn't make any sense to be using it. I might as well pull out my phone.

Please show me how android wear surfaces apps in a non retarded way or does all day activity. The interactions that I mentioned are meant to be a few seconds long. Maps is not there for you dick around for 15 minutes. It's there so you pull it up and glance for the glyph of the local subway station. All of the apps that I played around with felt designed with this brevity in mind.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

shodanjr_gr posted:

Please show me how android wear surfaces apps in a non retarded way or does all day activity. The interactions that I mentioned are meant to be a few seconds long. Maps is not there for you dick around for 15 minutes. It's there so you pull it up and glance for the glyph of the local subway station. All of the apps that I played around with felt designed with this brevity in mind.

You open an app drawer instead of trying to click the tiniest circles known to man

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

You open an app drawer instead of trying to click the tiniest circles known to man

Except that's not how the apple watch home screen works.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Jealous Cow posted:

In general: using this thing is a chore. It can't stand on its own for any one purpose: it's a mediocre watch that isn't always on, it's a mediocre activity monitor, it's a poor communications device. The difference between looking at my wrist to see who is calling or texting and pulling my phone out to check doesn't justify this. If it is so urgent that I see who's calling I should be expecting a call and have my phone ready. If the situation doesn't allow me to look at my phone I probably shouldn't be looking at my watch, either.

You're so going to regret it when the rest of us get to play with our new toys.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

shodanjr_gr posted:

Except that's not how the apple watch home screen works.

How do you open apps on the home screen?

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

How do you open apps on the home screen?

You don't hunt and peck the icon (I don't recall if you can even do that in the fully zoomed out view). You slide the finger on the screen which translates the app grid, snapping one app to the middle. A tap near the center of the display launches the app. Plus you can zoom with the crown If you want. Overall it gives a good view of all/most apps on the watch

It works well.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

shodanjr_gr posted:

You don't hunt and peck the icon (I don't recall if you can even do that in the fully zoomed out view).

What happens if you try to launch an app by tapping it in this view, like you'd do on an iPhone? What happens if you try to launch an app by tapping the icon if you haven't slid the app grid so it is in the middle? Genuinely curious, I haven't tried one and from videos I have watched, it always look liked hunt and peck or (maybe?) using the crown to scroll through them. Both seemed pretty not ideal. Stern or someone commented on how they fat fingered the wrong app a lot, iirc.

Jealous Cow posted:

The digital crown it he biggest disappointment. I had high expectations (what with Gruber's use of 'lubricity' to describe it, which should have actually been oleaginous I think) but it felt disconnected from the OS. You have to turn it slowly and consistently or it skips and misses input. Spinning it quickly causes the OS to ignore the input. It's also easy to accidentally move it while attempting to manipulate something else.

Also this kind of stuff is really useful to hear for people that haven't gone to play with one yet. I don't understand why reasonable criticism like this draws retarded responses instead of people saying "that sucks to hear, hopefully that's something Apple looks at with their last pre-release update" or something.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 12, 2015

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

RVProfootballer posted:

What happens if you try to launch an app by tapping it in this view, like you'd do on an iPhone? What happens if you try to launch an app by tapping the icon if you haven't slid the app grid so it is in the middle? Genuinely curious, I haven't tried one and from videos I have watched, it always look liked hunt and peck or (maybe?) using the crown to scroll through them. Both seemed pretty not ideal. Stern or someone commented on how they fat fingered the wrong app a lot, iirc.

I don't remember off the top of my head...I wanna say that it centers the app grid in that position and then you have to confirm the launch but i might be projecting my own UI design onto the Watch :haw:.

Honestly though it didn't feel problematic or fat-finger-prone at all...it was a great implementation of a full fledged app launcher on a small screen and in my opinion it is much better than having an endless list that you need to flick through to get to the desired app.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

shodanjr_gr posted:

I don't remember off the top of my head...I wanna say that it centers the app grid in that position and then you have to confirm the launch but i might be projecting my own UI design onto the Watch :haw:.

Honestly though it didn't feel problematic or fat-finger-prone at all...it was a great implementation of a full fledged app launcher on a small screen and in my opinion it is much better than having an endless list that you need to flick through to get to the desired app.

I have used both AW and the Apple Watch enough to know that its harder to select apps on the Apple Watch. Those circles are difficult to press on first try. You absolutely can use the crown to open the app that's centered, but that's only the centered app. It really is easier on AW.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

I have used both AW and the Apple Watch enough to know that its harder to select apps on the Apple Watch. Those circles are difficult to press on first try. You absolutely can use the crown to open the app that's centered, but that's only the centered app. It really is easier on AW.

I disagree. A 2x3 grid that you scroll looking for an app is stupid on a 1.5 diagonal screen once you have more than 6 apps. And it appears that on the Moto 360 its just a flat list (that's what Google Image Search is telling me)? Good luck searching.

The AW approach gives you the full overview of all your applications and then you can drill down. If I cared enough to win internet arguments, I could dig up papers that show this is a better approach than presenting content in a list, particularly on small displays. And again, you don't have to "press the circle".

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Yeah I was nothing but incredibly impressed by the UI. The interesting thing about the home screen is it isn't like the home screen of an iPhone, the center of all things. It's a fallback for when glances and notifications and their deep links are insufficient, which should be pretty rare. So the playful delight from the zoom scrolling is sort of a little boost to carry you being momentarily irritated by a third party developer, a wingman move, and the difference in layout is to prevent you from falsely correlating it with the iPhone's. It's really good.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

RVProfootballer posted:

Also this kind of stuff is really useful to hear for people that haven't gone to play with one yet. I don't understand why reasonable criticism like this draws retarded responses instead of people saying "that sucks to hear, hopefully that's something Apple looks at with their last pre-release update" or something.

Because how precise the crown is has been generally viewed as more precise than expected. I imagine the fatter your fingers or the more uncoordinated you are the harder it is to use and it's not really something Apple needs to look into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

shodanjr_gr posted:

I disagree. A 2x3 grid that you scroll looking for an app is stupid on a 1.5 diagonal screen once you have more than 6 apps. And it appears that on the Moto 360 its just a flat list (that's what Google Image Search is telling me)? Good luck searching.

The AW approach gives you the full overview of all your applications and then you can drill down. If I cared enough to win internet arguments, I could dig up papers that show this is a better approach than presenting content in a list, particularly on small displays. And again, you don't have to "press the circle".

I'm not arguing. I'm genuinely interested how you can open apps without tapping on them. I don't want you to dig up papers, I don't want it to turn into an internet argument over a watch - just curious. I honestly just didn't like selecting apps on the Apple watch. It was hard to do.

• Locked thread