Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

Jedit posted:

I have never hit anything once with the Chaos Card. It goes in a random direction, not the way it's supposed to. And I know it's random, because I've seen it go off at a diagonal in a direction I've not moved or fired in.

It goes in the direction you move in, not the direction you are aiming. I just move and shoot in the same direction before popping it to be sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

Wade Wilson posted:

Just started playing this and managed to unlock Azazel (who makes the runs trivial since he can just fly over everything, and getting that item that turns his attack into a ring of death that can be moved around the screen with the right stick makes it even more trivial), but what's all this talk about Mega Satan and stuff? Every run I do sends me straight to Mom and ending credits.

To give you a serious answer: Mega Satan is basically the final final boss and you straight up can't get to him until you've unlocked a lot of other stuff. The good news is that most of the stuff you need to do is pretty obvious; for now, just play the game normally. You'll know when you can start going further. You can fight Mega Satan once you get the message that "The Angels Await"; everything before that is easy to figure out.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TheModernAmerican posted:

It goes in the direction you move in, not the direction you are aiming. I just move and shoot in the same direction before popping it to be sure.

As I said: a direction I have neither moved nor shot in.

And to the other person who asked, I play on keyboard.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Watch the Chaos card be the one thing that kept the coding for mouseaim.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Soho Joe posted:

Savior Mod is a thing. It adds/replaces a lot of stuff; new characters, new rooms, mini-shops, new places to take devil deals, boss rooms have hazards. It's a little rough around the edges, but it's pretty fun until the real expansion drops.

The redesigned boss in the Dark Room is now a double room with The Lamb, Mom, and Mom's Heart :magical:

Edit: New characters own, they feel like Challenge runs but with item rooms, and the replacement for The Lost is amazing. He starts with Lord of the Pit, Holy Mantle, Dad's Key, and Stigmata i.e. actual compensation for the whole 0 HP thing.

That'd be interesting to check out, but I might wait on a fully up-to-date feature list first so I'd know what I'm getting into. Anyone know where one could be found?

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Soho Joe posted:

Savior Mod is a thing. It adds/replaces a lot of stuff; new characters, new rooms, mini-shops, new places to take devil deals, boss rooms have hazards. It's a little rough around the edges, but it's pretty fun until the real expansion drops.

The redesigned boss in the Dark Room is now a double room with The Lamb, Mom, and Mom's Heart :magical:

Edit: New characters own, they feel like Challenge runs but with item rooms, and the replacement for The Lost is amazing. He starts with Lord of the Pit, Holy Mantle, Dad's Key, and Stigmata i.e. actual compensation for the whole 0 HP thing.

Just played through a regular run as Adam and it's definitely an interesting update, observations in spoilers just in case:

Lots of new room designs that are just as good if not better than a lot of the current rooms, could use a balance adjustment though (First room was a double wide that was full of Spiders and had Super Pride.

Having random shops throughout the end floors is interesting but they could maybe cut back on it. I got at least a dozen from Womb 1 to the end of the Chest.

Ludevico technique as a shop item.

Rocks in the corners for the Isaac fight is kind of funny.

A room in the chest where you fight Dark One with four of those chained up demon guys, clearing the room gave a chest with a beam of light on it that restarted the chest. I got this twice and two Forget Me Nows in the chest.

Mega Satan starts with four hands and has some new patterns in both phases but is pretty much the same. There was also a big chest behind him for some reason that you couldn't reach.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Jibo posted:

Good thing he only has two phases then. That's what the blank card is for.

I thought each time the head goes down and he spawns deadly sins/angels counted as a separate phase for Chaos Card purposes.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Power of Pecota posted:

I thought each time the head goes down and he spawns deadly sins/angels counted as a separate phase for Chaos Card purposes.

Nope you blast him with the card right at the start and he drops down and pops up as a skull.

I just did the boss rush on Savior Mod and it's totally revamped.

Bosses from Rebirth are in, bosses show up 3 at a time with some as doubles, pop up spikes instead of rocks, Angels and Mom are in the fight (though Mom is kind of bugged in the big room), Conquest shows up with War and you get two Headless Horsemen with Death, Daddy Long Legs is in, you only get two items to choose from but throughout the fight more will appear along with a handful of chests, the corners all have holes down to the next level so you can quit any time. Mask of Infamy with two Haunts and two Dark Ones with The Adversary should give people something to complain about.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

9SVJ KLNB

Eden run, starts fairly weak but by the end you'll have Guppy, Ipecac/Pyromaniac, Abaddon, Technology and numerous +DMG items. ??? lasted less than a second, everything else in the Chest was one-shotted.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

Jedit posted:

As I said: a direction I have neither moved nor shot in.

And to the other person who asked, I play on keyboard.

I'm sorry your copy of Isaac works totally different from everyone else's.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
After spending some time with the Savior mod, I think I don't actually like it that much. The new rooms are cool, but there are some really gimicky puzzle rooms that are more frustrating than anything else. Giving The Lost the Holy Mantle to start with is something I know a lot of people wanted but I'd still just rather never use him and other than that, each character seems to be changed for the worst other than maybe Lazarus.

It's interesting to mess around with some but I think I'm just going to delete it and go back to waiting for Afterbirth.

0haiThere
Feb 18, 2015

Looks like you're in the barrel today.
The community remix mod for the original Isaac was good while everyone was waiting for rebirth. Is the Savior mod comparable?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

0haiThere posted:

The community remix mod for the original Isaac was good while everyone was waiting for rebirth. Is the Savior mod comparable?

The Community Remix mod had the benefit of mostly knowing what ideas were in Rebirth, so they tried to implement things that were already true to Edmund's vision. I don't know if the Savior mod is like that; from what I heard it makes The Lost start with items and increases the difficulty of the bosses and their rooms.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

OK that triple Fallen room is a nightmare.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
My favorite thing is picking up a Black Candle on a Curse of Darkness floor and watching the screen light up.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

BJPaskoff posted:

My favorite thing is picking up a Black Candle on a Curse of Darkness floor and watching the screen light up.

And then eating an Amnesia pill.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
Boy, what a run.

First floor gave me Monstro's Lung, second floor had Triple Shot. Complete poo poo synergy, the dmg boost hardly made up for the charge up time which went up to something like 5 seconds. Should've remembered to avoid this. Anyway, topped it off with Death's Touch from the devil room to increase the charge up time even further. A bunch of dmg ups from the subsequent floors. Then Ipecac shows up. How could I resist? So at this point I'm looking at something like a four-second charge of Explosive Scythe Hell. Managed to beat Isaac no problem though.

Picked up Missing Number for the heck of it. Ended up with complete crap, but here's something I didn't know:

Isaac just flat out drops the Trinity Shield after picking up Missing no.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Basement XL with 2 gurgling bosses in a row?

I used my unicorn horn on the 1st one because there is no basement boss I should take damage on aside from gurglings and I didn't want red heart damage. So what easy boss do I get next? Gurglings again. :bang:

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
Hug the wall and they'll never charge you. Makes them pretty trivial.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The Haunt is way worse. gently caress the Haunt.

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

Guy who's just getting into binding of isaac:

learn what the d20 does, and how to unlock it. It's the only item you'll unlock that a character starts with once you get it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Street Horrrsing posted:

learn what the d20 does, and how to unlock it. It's the only item you'll unlock that a character starts with once you get it.

D6*

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Carbon dioxide posted:

The Haunt is way worse. gently caress the Haunt.

Unless you have absolutely no damage and can't kill the mini Haunts quickly, the Haunt is almost purely a matter of timing. Gurglings are little shits who leave creep on the floor, are hard to avoid and have too much health for the level they're on.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Jedit posted:

Unless you have absolutely no damage and can't kill the mini Haunts quickly, the Haunt is almost purely a matter of timing. Gurglings are little shits who leave creep on the floor, are hard to avoid and have too much health for the level they're on.

How likely it is to get a damage up on the first floor?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
I'm terrible at this game, I'm on a -110ish winstreak, and I've never had trouble with the Haunt and I don't understand why everyone hates him so much. I'd rather get the Haunt than Gurdy, Gurglings, Pin, Widow..any number of early bosses

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darth Windu posted:

I'm terrible at this game, I'm on a -110ish winstreak, and I've never had trouble with the Haunt and I don't understand why everyone hates him so much. I'd rather get the Haunt than Gurdy, Gurglings, Pin, Widow..any number of early bosses

Haha what. Larry Jr is harder than the Pin.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

Darth Windu posted:

I'd rather get the Haunt than... Pin,

Stick to the walls when he's underground and pin becomes one of the easiest bosses.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It is also true that the haunt is not hard, though. Move with him and switch around when he nears a wall/does an attack tell, you don't need to do fancy 'baiting him into rushing at you' type stuff I see people sometimes do

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

It is also true that the haunt is not hard, though. Move with him and switch around when he nears a wall/does an attack tell, you don't need to do fancy 'baiting him into rushing at you' type stuff I see people sometimes do

The issue is dodging the small ghosts if you don't have spirit hearts and desperately want that devil deal.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Or if you're playing as The Lost.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Pin, you just go right to the bottom of the screen. It may take a jump or two, but after that, you just walk a step to the left or right, and dodge the bombs. He's the easiest boss.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Dr. Fetus posted:

Or if you're playing as The Lost.

Or if you suck at this game. I get hit by Dingle more often than by the Haunt, and I am by no means a great player.

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014
gently caress those lil' ghosties. it's so nice in the late game to kill them in one hit each

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Street Horrrsing posted:

He should really do the opposite, the D6 lets you out of some items that you should really learn to use instead of just passing up, since you can just reroll them.

Play for a while and always pick up every item you havent seen yet, even some youre iffy on. Maybe get the D6 if you want to reroll samey items into potentially new or unfamiliar ones, but make sure you get used to taking items you wouldnt expect to use or otherwise want because they will be used in challenge runs, and sometimes can be used cleverly to help on certain runs where you won't have the D6 on any other character

Lonely Rolling Star
Mar 20, 2009

Better than a crowbar.

Darth Windu posted:

I've fought the Haunt at least 25 times with the Lost, and I've died to the 'Lil Haunts every time. It just becomes an issue that if I can't do enough damage then one of 'em will slingshot into me every loving time. The Haunt eventually became an instant restart for me. I really wish he was a Caves boss instead of a Basement 1 boss nearly 50% of the time.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Isaac seed:

30NJ
T4SP

Guppy in curse room above starting room. Take Guppy's Paw, nuke all your hearts, take Dead Cat, then re-roll Guppy's Paw into Guppy's Collar.

No idea how the rest of the run will go- just started and that happened.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Do you guys actually make use of the paw?? It seems kinda worthless outside of that situation. I much prefer to have a lot of red harts and a few silver to give me a buffer and to spend red harts on devil room items.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Paw is awesome. I usually try and get rid of all my red hearts once I get to a certain point so I can have permanent polaroid invincibility.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Darth Windu posted:

Do you guys actually make use of the paw?? It seems kinda worthless outside of that situation. I much prefer to have a lot of red harts and a few silver to give me a buffer and to spend red harts on devil room items.

It has its moments. For example, I've exchanged all my hearts for soul hearts if I have Whore of Babylon so I have the curse up perpetually. It has also saved me a few times in the final battle if I've been low on red hearts. And it can be a lifesaver if you die with the Dead Cat and want to convert your one red heart to three soul hearts.

Generally I think people just touch it to get 1/3 closer to Guppy mode, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Photux
Sep 3, 2012

Funny then, that such darkness gives me hope

Darth Windu posted:

It's actually better to convert your red hearts to soul hearts with the paw for spending on devil room items. Devil room items will cost one or two red hearts, which could be converted into 3 or 6 soul hearts, but if you only have soul hearts, the devil room items will always cost 3 soul hearts. This you pay the same price for items that would cost 1 red heart and get the 2 red heart items at a discount. The biggest downside to converting all your hearts is the 12 heart maximum limit, which you might quickly run up against.