Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I am pretty sure there is at least one mod that just puts all the materials for all the parts of the house in the starting chest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

LtSmash posted:

Nope. Movement and animations are pretty deep in the engine. People have only just started on weapon animation stuff and last I heard it was pretty janky.

A few goons really love Requiem and say after the first 20 hour slog its very rewarding. Most everyone else hasn't spent as much time before deciding its stupid nonsense. Skyrim is essentially unbalanceable for a lot of reasons. Become a god and suplex a dragon to death.

When I loaded the very same save (which I had F9'd several times that session) the next day, all the magicka costs had reverted to normal. The whole thing is still full of ridiculous nonsense though, like the the Saarthal boss's full stamina/magicka drain and ice blast 80% snare spam. I loving died tripping over a stationary rock-trap rock. And of course a deleveled world is nowhere near as awesome as I hoped. I'll probably stick it out with this character, but back to elaborate combat mods after that.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Is there a mod that eases up the building requirements in hearthfire? I always get bored once I slog through the game to build a house and I just wanna skip that part this time.

I think Alternate Start - Live Another Life now has a homeowner starting option for Hearthfire homes. I'm not sure if you're talking about for a new game, but I think it starts pretty much fully built.

Alternate Start - Live Another Life posted:

Alternatively, you can choose from one of the 3 Hearthfire houses. For these, you will start off with a fully furnished Entry Way, Main Hall, Cellar, and all exterior additions. The only thing which will not be enabled is the bard since the bard specifically mentions your steward you don't have yet. The drafting table outside should be ready to go with whatever additions you want on the house afterward.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Has anyone used Leaf Rest? I was looking for a house to upgrade to from my little shack and the business ledger system sounded interesting considering my current character is basically a traveling merchant (it is pretty much the most boring game of Skyrim ever but is still fun somehow). I was just wondering since it looks like there's a lot of moving parts built in if it was generally stable or what.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Woolie Wool posted:

I suspect there is permanent damage that has been done to my saves by some of the shadier mods.

E: Or not. Even starting a new game the latency is pretty similar, around 150 ms in Windhelm.

Going back to my earlier woes with script latency, I recently replaced my CPU cooler because it turned out my CPU was underclocking itself due to a cooler caked with dust bunnies and my script lag has fallen from 150 ms to 39! :toot:

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Duck and burger posted:

When I loaded the very same save (which I had F9'd several times that session) the next day, all the magicka costs had reverted to normal. The whole thing is still full of ridiculous nonsense though, like the the Saarthal boss's full stamina/magicka drain and ice blast 80% snare spam. I loving died tripping over a stationary rock-trap rock. And of course a deleveled world is nowhere near as awesome as I hoped. I'll probably stick it out with this character, but back to elaborate combat mods after that.

It probably has a bug with adjusting magicka costs in a script. Sounds like maybe it adjusts based on your level but always assumes it hadn't already been adjusted. Changes like that will persist through the entire skyrim program session since it doesn't reread all plugin data each time you load a game but the changes aren't included in your save so when you exit to desktop and restart the base values will be reread from file. Then any scripted changes will have the correct values (until it bugs again).

Also I think lots of places players usually go right off the bat were changed to be high level since it fits the lore. So Saarthal has a powerful lore artifact in it so it should have lots of powerful mobs. Enjoy wandering the through forest killing rats to level up enough to do anything.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

That Ignorant Sap posted:

How so? Remove the Jarl approval requirement? Or getting the building materials?
Could make a .txt file in your Skyrim dir with all the console commands you need. Say, 2: Jarl.txt and house.txt.
Have jarl.txt contain the console commands that advance you ahead once you get the courier letter to having killed the bandits and spoken back with the jarl. Get the letter, then console command "bat jarl". Boom. Go see the steward and buy the land. Now have house.txt contain all the commands for the materials you need for poo poo in your house: tons of nails, hinges, clay, straw, whatever. Get to your land, "bat house", theres your building supplies.
Those files come in handy sometimes. Once i get thieves guild master status, "bat prowler" for Prowlers Profit (no gem hunting). During Discerning the Transmudane, "bat blood".
Making the .txt files is easy, just enter the console commands one after the other, as if you were in the game. UESP can help you find the correct console commands you need.

I have bat files that do just this but I think they get the item code wrong for certain things.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

LtSmash posted:

A few goons really love Requiem and say after the first 20 hour slog its very rewarding. Most everyone else hasn't spent as much time before deciding its stupid nonsense. Skyrim is essentially unbalanceable for a lot of reasons. Become a god and suplex a dragon to death.

Yes, but who the hell has time to play 20 hours of an unfun game before the good stuff starts?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

My attitude is to loving embrace being an invincible aspect of lorkhan and forget any bullshit about immersion.

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014
So assuming I'd like to make the combat a bit more challenging without turning the game into a joyless tedious grindfest ala Requiem, do I have any good options? Specifically, I'd like something that plays nicely with Sperg.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

LtSmash posted:

Nope. Movement and animations are pretty deep in the engine. People have only just started on weapon animation stuff and last I heard it was pretty janky.

How is Requeim supposed to work anyway? Duck and burger's comment made it sound not merely unfairly difficult but actually completely broken.

Also I would totally download a dragon suplex mod.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

prometheusbound2 posted:

Yes, but who the hell has time to play 20 hours of an unfun game before the good stuff starts?

The defenders of games like Final Fantasy XIII.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The dragon suplex mod would play well with the Randy Savage mod, if nothing else.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The defenders of games like Final Fantasy XIII.

If you don't have any clue what the game's storyline is about 5 hours into the game, the game might have some problems.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Woolie Wool posted:

If you don't have any clue what the game's storyline is about 5 hours into the game, the game might have some problems.

People always cite that as a complaint about XIII and I still don't understand why. The game has a piss poor storyline but it's really easy to understand, you're agents of a Godlike machine who is on the run from the government because the Godlike machine that gave you magic powers wants to destroy the world. Run like hell until you can figure out a way to escape your predicament which they don't end up doing at the end so much as they just kill the Godlike machines and through Deus Ex Machina that saves the world too.

No, the problem with XIII is that the first 20 hours of the game is a tutorial and once you're past the tutorial all you have left is doing battles over and over again with nothing to break the monotony. No exploration, no cool sidequests, nothing.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Where would i look to remove a sound file from a custom race? The mod author added in a Link-like Hyar! Nnraaah! to each and every time you swing your sword. It had gotten old and annoying very very fast.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
What do people think about Perkus Maximus?

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Rollofthedice posted:

I think it's not SPERG. :colbert:

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

Rollofthedice posted:

From a magic perspective, I really like it, smithing and one handed weapons can be pretty weird though.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

So I finally decided to start actually using Thunderchild, since I've had it installed for as long as I can remember but not touched it until now. I got the hang of most things like the mantras pretty quick, but what does the gag in the wardrobe in the High Hrothgar Library do? I noticed it has the little lightning bolt symbol by its name so I assumed it has an effect :v:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

YellerBill posted:

So I finally decided to start actually using Thunderchild, since I've had it installed for as long as I can remember but not touched it until now. I got the hang of most things like the mantras pretty quick, but what does the gag in the wardrobe in the High Hrothgar Library do? I noticed it has the little lightning bolt symbol by its name so I assumed it has an effect :v:

Nothing, AFAIK. Tip: do as much of the challenges ASAP. They reward you whith some kickass cooldown reducing abilities.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
And keep killing animals with a green glow around them. Kyne likes it, and sometimes you even get a dragon soul!

I didn't get far enough before I got bored with Skyrim, so what happens when you successfully Shout at a pillar?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I can never actually find these pillars.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Woolie Wool posted:

I can never actually find these pillars.

They're actually loving everywhere. they sorta work like Doomstones in that you can only have one active at once, but they basically power up the shout associated with them.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I guess I'm a big dumbass because I never notice them. Where is the one associated with Fire Breath because that's the shout I use 90% of the time?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Woolie Wool posted:

I guess I'm a big dumbass because I never notice them. Where is the one associated with Fire Breath because that's the shout I use 90% of the time?

I honestly don't know. They're placed via script, so I can't open the mod and check. Fire Breath doesn't really need to be powered up, though. I recommend giving true shot a try though, at three words it launches a magic artillery barrage at anything you shoot with your bow.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Yeah I've probably way overpowered it as it is, as it allows me to kill a whole family of netches with one blast, and if any survive, the immediate followup blast from the one of the Champion of Kyne feats mops up the survivors.

Dux Supremus
Feb 2, 2009

Red Mundus posted:

It sucks that there are no good placeable trap mods. One of them exists but is buggy, bloated with bad edits, and crashes alot. The other adds different bear traps but the damage they do doesn't scale well.
This just came out a few days ago, no idea if it's any good or not but it looks interesting.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Are there any female skin mods? I got the Mackoms Real Skin for Men from the OP, but the mod he lists is a dead link. The males look good now, but the female characters are almost zombie-like in comparison.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Harmburger posted:

Are there any female skin mods? I got the Mackoms Real Skin for Men from the OP, but the mod he lists is a dead link. The males look good now, but the female characters are almost zombie-like in comparison.

Do you have to ask? Making girls look cuter is game modders' #1 priority. Like half the nexus is dedicated to female skin mods, so you have no shortage of options. Narrowing it down is the hard part.

The best one I've found is True Daughters of Skyrim, which has subtle imperfections without looking totally haggard. The only problem is the "sunburned" version is the default and looks kinda stupid. They offer non-sunburned textures that you can swap in.

If you don't like that one, look through the "models and textures" category and you'll find a huge variety of others, catering to every whim you could imagine.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

I was a bit disappointed that the Dawnstar house was in such a... relatively hospitable area. Can anyone think of a good "house in the middle of the Pale" mod?

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

Duck and burger posted:

Requiem doubles(or maybe more) the Magicka cost of spells when you are low on stamina. That might have been your issue. It also increases the cost of spells based on the weight of equipped armour and makes the really good Magicka Regeneration/Spell School Cost Reduction enchantment much rarer and less potent on armour but slightly more potent on robes as a way of encouraging mages to go unarmoured.

Requiem definitely has some stupid bullshit in it like giving most animals knockback attacks so if they hit you once they just slowly juggle you to death with there being no way for you to recover unless you're lucky enough that they knock you somewhere they can't path too. But I like most its changes. It is however really opaque and you pretty much have to read the manual if you want to have much chance of figuring it out.

I've been playing it iron man style and outside of the fact that Sabre Cats are the most dangerous entities in all of Skyrim, far more dangerous than Dragons, Vampires, or Draugr it rarely feels unfairly hard.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Nerd Of Prey posted:

If you don't like that one, look through the "models and textures" category and you'll find a huge variety of others, catering to every whim fetish you could imagine.

FTFY

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Do you have to ask? Making girls look cuter is game modders' #1 priority. Like half the nexus is dedicated to female skin mods, so you have no shortage of options. Narrowing it down is the hard part.

The best one I've found is True Daughters of Skyrim, which has subtle imperfections without looking totally haggard. The only problem is the "sunburned" version is the default and looks kinda stupid. They offer non-sunburned textures that you can swap in.

If you don't like that one, look through the "models and textures" category and you'll find a huge variety of others, catering to every whim you could imagine.

Jesus Christ those horny nexus modders strike again! Anyway, cheers for the detailed info in female skin mods.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Oh good, trying to do this special Thieves Guild job in Windhelm and jackass Torsten Cruel-Sea is outside the city boundaries just standing in the hills. Tried waiting a bit and he didn't seem to move. I guess I'm just going to have to open a wormhole with the console to get him back into this plane of existence. Too bad the USKP bug tracker isn't easier to just submit a bug to.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

graynull posted:

Oh good, trying to do this special Thieves Guild job in Windhelm and jackass Torsten Cruel-Sea is outside the city boundaries just standing in the hills. Tried waiting a bit and he didn't seem to move. I guess I'm just going to have to open a wormhole with the console to get him back into this plane of existence. Too bad the USKP bug tracker isn't easier to just submit a bug to.

Install open cities :buddy: Then no one can escape you by hiding behind an invisible wall. Also you can throw your garbage onto the peasants below from your house's balcony in Solitude.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

Spek posted:

Requiem doubles(or maybe more) the Magicka cost of spells when you are low on stamina. That might have been your issue. It also increases the cost of spells based on the weight of equipped armour and makes the really good Magicka Regeneration/Spell School Cost Reduction enchantment much rarer and less potent on armour but slightly more potent on robes as a way of encouraging mages to go unarmoured.

Requiem definitely has some stupid bullshit in it like giving most animals knockback attacks so if they hit you once they just slowly juggle you to death with there being no way for you to recover unless you're lucky enough that they knock you somewhere they can't path too. But I like most its changes. It is however really opaque and you pretty much have to read the manual if you want to have much chance of figuring it out.

I've been playing it iron man style and outside of the fact that Sabre Cats are the most dangerous entities in all of Skyrim, far more dangerous than Dragons, Vampires, or Draugr it rarely feels unfairly hard.

I'm still playing it, and I'll probably continue, but I still find myself relying on my follower and leftover flame atronach scrolls from the Saarthal supply chest. The deleveled world has entirely lost its appeal, as level 1s and level 40s in the same place seems to be the rule rather than the exception (granted, you can stealth killmove dudes ~10 levels above you). But take that bandit camp situated east and up the road from Whiterun, under High Hrothgar. For what felt like fifteen minutes it was spawning lv 1-25s as quickly as I could kill them, all while a lv ~40 mage atop the tower on the other side of the river rained down one-shot fireballs. Some hardcore combat mods and the difficult cranked up a notch can totally give you a good challenge in a more reasonably designed package. Maybe with Morrowloot to give you a better sense of progression.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

Harmburger posted:

Nerd Of Prey posted:

This one is the best, full stop: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/36425/ I like the idea of this one http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/32986/ more since it's less perfect and goes up to 8K, but the facial contouring is deliberately lumpy. I just grab the normal maps and skin blemishes from the latter and slap them on the former. Then you get this:

And yeah, the dudes look godly pretty much straight out of the box.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Can you set iPresentInterval=0 if you're using an FPS limiter (Nvidia/ENB/whatever) to keep the game at 60 frames or less?
I understand that disabling VSync (iPresentInterval) might cause various issues and glitches, but mouse sensitivity is very unreliable with it on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

anatomi posted:

Can you set iPresentInterval=0 if you're using an FPS limiter (Nvidia/ENB/whatever) to keep the game at 60 frames or less?
I understand that disabling VSync (iPresentInterval) might cause various issues and glitches, but mouse sensitivity is very unreliable with it on.

Yep. I did this and limited FPS to 60 with Nvidia inspector. No input lag at all.

• Locked thread