Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

fletcher posted:

Ok I think I've talked myself out of the Thinksever.

Any issues with 6TB drives in the N40L?

Also, how do I handle getting them all connected at the same time for the initial migration to the new drives?
All Microservers work fine with disks above 2TB.
Set the autoexpand property on your zpool and replace disks one by one by offlining them, shutting down, pulling the appropriate disk, inserting a new disk and letting the pool resilver, then repeat with the rest of the drives until you're done at which point it should automatically expand.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Apr 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

D. Ebdrup posted:

All Microservers work fine with disks above 2TB.
Set the autoexpand property on your zpool and replace disks one by one by offlining them, shutting down, pulling the appropriate disk, inserting a new disk and letting the pool resilver, then repeat with the rest of the drives until you're done at which point it should automatically expand.

Whoa that's really cool! Didn't know you could do it like that. Thanks for the help!

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

MMD3 posted:

does anybody have any experience recovering files from a Synology Diskstation?

I'm currently in a state of panic because for some reason my Photo share w/ my past decade or so of raw photos (minus a backup to an external drive from maybe two years ago) seems to be mostly empty.

I just fired up lightroom to edit some photos and realized that all of my folders are marked as missing... went and checked the folder and I seem to have nothing in the Photo share save for the things I just imported like 10 minutes ago.

The only thing I can figure might have happened is that I installed BitTorrent Sync on my laptop a few days ago and was playing around with figuring out the best way to sync the raw photos from my laptop to my Photo share folder. To the best of my knowledge I tried to add the Photos share folder as a destination but wasn't able to connect to my diskstation on my laptop.

I think I'm going to puke if I can't figure out where these went.

I seriously can't imagine the thought of several years worth of photos being gone. I was planning on figuring out how to sync my photos from the diskstation off to an external USB3 drive which is part of the reason I installed BitTorrent Sync but was planning on waiting until I moved in a month so I could sort out my new network configuration before trying to figure this out.

The Gunslinger posted:

Sync shouldn't delete files unless they're deleted on the source also, I would check out Diskstation itself and run the disk test in DSM. If all fails you could try mounting the disks in another machine too, I suggest making a clone of the drives before you go any further. You can try Synology support as well, they are apparently pretty decent about remoting in to help people.

MMD3 posted:

I contacted Synology support and they had me create a ticket, they said it can take up to 24 hours for a response so I may be waiting until Monday unfortunately... I think I am just going to play it safe and not try to do anything on the drive until I've talked to them and they've had a chance to take a look at the logs and see if they can figure it out.

so after a week of back and forth with Synology support and giving them access to remote into my NAS I hadn't heard from them in a few days so I followed up with them and basically got a "sorry, we can't tell anything, you should go to a data recovery place".

The only thing remotely helpful that they were able to tell me (which isn't really helpful at all) is that the RAM I put in my drive is apparently unsupported and RAM can do unpredictable things if it fails. I asked if it was normal for RAM to neatly wipe an entire folder of content and they just kind of said well... haven't seen that before.

So is there anything else I should try before I take it to a data recovery place and empty my checkbook?

I SSH'd into it and didn't see anything in the folder than what I see in the folder through explorer. Not sure if there's some other way to check with SSH, I'm not really very familiar with command line stuff.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

There's a pretty substantial deal for the QNAP TS-669L over at Newegg Flash:

http://flash.newegg.com/Product/N82E16822107111

How good is this if all I want to do is store/stream my HD movies and TV shows and also do some basic backups of my PCs and Macs?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

is this person insane? i suspect they are but i don't know enough about this stuff to be sure:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/why-raid-6-stops-working-in-2019/

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

No, he's reasonably on-base there. RAID5 for current drive sizes and rebuild times is not considered terribly reliable, and he's focusing on the large users who have 10+ drives per RAID group.

It also hits on why I like ZFS so much for home use - I have had a drive poo poo itself while rebuilding another, and it was able to salvage most of the data with very little work done on my part. I only had to restore a few hundred megs from backup.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

is it really true that a single block error will halt the entire rebuild process though?

Flashing Twelve
Mar 20, 2007

I'm looking to set up a combination home server/file server/media server. I currently have a desktop PC and a media PC, the latter of which I want to cut out of the equation. The plan is to strip the storage hard drives out of the desktop/media PCs and move them to a new server box, which I'll build by cannibalising the media PC and filling in the blanks, and running the drives in some kind of RAID array. Once that's done, the actual media stuff can be handled by a networked Raspberry Pi.

My requirements are:
- Redundancy on the disks such that I can lose 1 disk without losing any data. RAID5 is correct for this, right?
- Linux, or at least something that can run Linux in a VM.
- Speed isn't very important. Absolute highest load would be streaming 2 1080p videos across the network.
- Drives should see pretty light load. Pretty much just downloads at night and media streaming when I'm home.

I'm not really sure about how best to go about this. I see ZFS and FreeNAS being thrown around a lot. Is this actually going to be of benefit for me? Should I be rolling a hypervisor or something to have it in parallel with a Linux VM?

I've got 3 2TB drives at the moment, 2 WD Greens and 1 Seagate (don't know exactly what it is). Am I going to be able to pick up 2x 4TB WD Reds and use them with 2x 2TB WD greens? How much storage is that after RAID5, 8TB?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Greens in raid arrays never ends well. If you use a simple RAID-5 array, then the size of all your drives is equal to the smallest drive in the array, so a group of 2 2tb drives and 2 4tb drives acts like an array of 4 2tb drives, with a capacity of 6tb usable.

If you're comfortable with/want to use Linux you can just use ZFS on linux, or even just a simple mdadm + LVM2 setup, which is pretty forgiving in terms of being able to adjust which drives you're using compared to zfs.

I would stay away from raid-5 once you get more than 4 disks though, as the rebuild times start getting in to the day+ area.

Flashing Twelve
Mar 20, 2007

Gwaihir posted:

Greens in raid arrays never ends well. If you use a simple RAID-5 array, then the size of all your drives is equal to the smallest drive in the array, so a group of 2 2tb drives and 2 4tb drives acts like an array of 4 2tb drives, with a capacity of 6tb usable.

If you're comfortable with/want to use Linux you can just use ZFS on linux, or even just a simple mdadm + LVM2 setup, which is pretty forgiving in terms of being able to adjust which drives you're using compared to zfs.

I would stay away from raid-5 once you get more than 4 disks though, as the rebuild times start getting in to the day+ area.

Hm, okay. Sounds like I might just pick up 3x 4TB WD Reds, 8TB storage should be more than enough. Maybe flog off the WD Greens to defray the cost. ZFS on Linux sounds like a good solution to me. Thanks for the help :)

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Flashing Twelve posted:

Hm, okay. Sounds like I might just pick up 3x 4TB WD Reds, 8TB storage should be more than enough. Maybe flog off the WD Greens to defray the cost. ZFS on Linux sounds like a good solution to me. Thanks for the help :)

Maybe take a look at SnapRAID then? It's a lot more flexible than RAID5/6 (can have up to 6 parity 'drives'), requires no special hardware/software (runs on standard disk partitions, and there are versions for both Linux and Windows), can actually detect and fix bit-rot and deleted files, and most importantly, if you have more failures than you have parity, you still have the data on your non-failed drives, which can be read from any other computer. Even works on VM and virtual disks.

SnapRAID
http://snapraid.sourceforge.net/

Windows GUI to make it somewhat easier to use
https://elucidate.codeplex.com/

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Gwaihir posted:

So even 5 disks plus a hotspare isn't advised for RAID-5? I'm thinking of buying a prebuilt NAS for downloads and media streaming to make an working capacity between 8 to 12 TB and it looks like a 5-bay NAS aren't that common or cheap. 6-bays on the other hand are more common and would allow me to reach the same capacity with smaller, cheaper drives despite the increased number of drives. For example, 6X 3 TB drives will cost me about $720 while 5X 4 TB drives cost about the$800 while giving me the same capacity with a hotspare. Of course there's also the price difference for the number of bays the NAS has. I suppose I can still get the same capacity with a hotspare in a 4-bay with 4X 6 TB drives but those drives are quite expensive. Or should forego the hotspare?

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Edward IV posted:

So even 5 disks plus a hotspare isn't advised for RAID-5? I'm thinking of buying a prebuilt NAS for downloads and media streaming to make an working capacity between 8 to 12 TB and it looks like a 5-bay NAS aren't that common or cheap. 6-bays on the other hand are more common and would allow me to reach the same capacity with smaller, cheaper drives despite the increased number of drives. For example, 6X 3 TB drives will cost me about $720 while 5X 4 TB drives cost about the$800 while giving me the same capacity with a hotspare. Of course there's also the price difference for the number of bays the NAS has. I suppose I can still get the same capacity with a hotspare in a 4-bay with 4X 6 TB drives but those drives are quite expensive. Or should forego the hotspare?

The problem with RAID5/6, is the likelyhood of running into an error DURING recovery, which increases with drive size. If you want to make a RAID5 array with 250gb disks, you're much more in the clear, but that's not what you are looking to do. It also has a terrible disaster scenario in that, if you lose 2/3 disks at once, EVERYTHING is gone due to the data striping. Some of the newer methods, like FlexRaid, SnapRaid, or Unraid, avoid this by not striping data. Thus, in the worst case scenario of multiple disk failures, you still have the disks that did not fail. There is a performance loss, as the data striping aids in reading data faster, but most of the storage we are talking about here does not need to be servicing multiple requests at once.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yea, I forgot about FlexRAID, which I think is actually a pretty decent solution for the typical "I want to have my giant home media library" needs. You trade performance for flexibility, but write speed on these arrays isn't a big deal at all, and reads will still be enough to run 2 streams at once.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
Problem with FlexRaid / Unraid is they want money... I've been running an Unraid server for awhile now, but I'm thinking of moving my stuff over to SnapRaid, as it has some more features I like, and isn't so picky about environment.

Also, depending on which files you stream, you can easily stream more than your network capacity by reading files from different disks (movies on disk 1, tv shows on disk 2, cartoons on disk 3, etc)

Skandranon fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 10, 2015

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Lutha Mahtin posted:

is it really true that a single block error will halt the entire rebuild process though?

Yes, in most traditional RAID5 setups.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

MMD3 posted:

so after a week of back and forth with Synology support and giving them access to remote into my NAS I hadn't heard from them in a few days so I followed up with them and basically got a "sorry, we can't tell anything, you should go to a data recovery place".

The only thing remotely helpful that they were able to tell me (which isn't really helpful at all) is that the RAM I put in my drive is apparently unsupported and RAM can do unpredictable things if it fails. I asked if it was normal for RAM to neatly wipe an entire folder of content and they just kind of said well... haven't seen that before.

So is there anything else I should try before I take it to a data recovery place and empty my checkbook?

I SSH'd into it and didn't see anything in the folder than what I see in the folder through explorer. Not sure if there's some other way to check with SSH, I'm not really very familiar with command line stuff.

Without having access I can't really recommend anything else. If the drives are fine physically its more likely that someone was farting around on the source and deleted the files which in turn would cause BT Sync to remove them. A memory problem is not likely to leave you with an intact but blank array.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

The Gunslinger posted:

Without having access I can't really recommend anything else. If the drives are fine physically its more likely that someone was farting around on the source and deleted the files which in turn would cause BT Sync to remove them. A memory problem is not likely to leave you with an intact but blank array.

This is why I never really liked things like Drobo... it's good as long as it keeps working, but your disaster recovery is a nightmare.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Newegg is running a 4x3tb reds for $399 for today only. http://promotions.newegg.com/NEemai...=4231226&et_p1=

Although Best Buy was selling them for $99 earlier this week.

I picked up 2 more earlier and moved one of my raid1 mirrors into a raid 10 setup. I've never done that before and from what I understand there is no process where zfs will try to balance the existing data from the old single mirror across the now striped mirror?

phosdex fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 10, 2015

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

The Gunslinger posted:

I talked to a data recovery place locally the other day and they suggested I try running R-Studio http://www.r-studio.com/ on it to see if I can undelete. They said they've had good success... only problem is I can't figure out how to point R-Studio to a NAS. It looks like I may have to figure out how to install it on the NAS directly but I'm not quite sure of how to go about that.

Skandranon posted:

This is why I never really liked things like Drobo... it's good as long as it keeps working, but your disaster recovery is a nightmare.

It really wouldn't be that bad at all if I'd had a legitimate up-to-date backup, the problem is I hadn't run a backup to another external drive in the better part of a year :cry:

I don't know how this disaster recovery on my Synology is any more difficult than a straight-up external drive other than the fact that it may take longer to rebuild since it was in RAID.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

MMD3 posted:

It really wouldn't be that bad at all if I'd had a legitimate up-to-date backup, the problem is I hadn't run a backup to another external drive in the better part of a year :cry:

I don't know how this disaster recovery on my Synology is any more difficult than a straight-up external drive other than the fact that it may take longer to rebuild since it was in RAID.

Well, disaster recovery for RAID5/6 is already stressful enough, with needing the same RAID card/enclosure, setting drives in the right order, etc, and is impossible for all data if you lose more than your parity protects. Also, for many of us here, full 'backup' is not possible, these arrays are for storing enormous media collections, fully backing them up essentially requires a second, similarly sized array. In these situations, you want more recovery options than standard RAID offers.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Skandranon posted:

Well, disaster recovery for RAID5/6 is already stressful enough, with needing the same RAID card/enclosure, setting drives in the right order, etc, and is impossible for all data if you lose more than your parity protects. Also, for many of us here, full 'backup' is not possible, these arrays are for storing enormous media collections, fully backing them up essentially requires a second, similarly sized array. In these situations, you want more recovery options than standard RAID offers.

ahhh, in my case we're talking about ~4TB across all of my media types. I can easily back that up to an external drive if I'd been diligent. My photography archive is probably only 1.5TB of that and it's the only thing that seems to have been deleted. I just have no idea how it was deleted.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

MMD3 posted:

ahhh, in my case we're talking about ~4TB across all of my media types. I can easily back that up to an external drive if I'd been diligent. My photography archive is probably only 1.5TB of that and it's the only thing that seems to have been deleted. I just have no idea how it was deleted.

For something like that, I wouldn't worry too much about assembling a complex array at all. I'd set that up on 2x4tb drives in RAID-1 and back those up online to CrashPlan Cloud or Backblaze every night. If one drive dies, just replace it & rebuild, if 2 die, either download again from backup, or get them to mail you a HD to get back up and running quicker. You can also do your own backup to external as you already are(were?), but that can just be the 'faster to download' option, instead of 'last best hope of recovery'.

Skandranon fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 10, 2015

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?

MMD3 posted:

Looking at your post history:

MMD3 posted:

The only thing I can figure might have happened is that I installed BitTorrent Sync on my laptop a few days ago and was playing around with figuring out the best way to sync the raw photos from my laptop to my Photo share folder. To the best of my knowledge I tried to add the Photos share folder as a destination but wasn't able to connect to my diskstation on my laptop.

http://help.getsync.com/customer/portal/articles/1901264-folder-preferences posted:

5. Store deleted files in folder archive.
If some peer with a Read & Write Key changes or deletes a file, it will be changed or deleted on the other peers' devices, too. However, before changing or deleting a file they will be copied to ".sync/Archive" subfolder. By default, these archived files will stay in the Archive for 30 days, just in case you need them, before being automatically cleaned up and removed by BitTorrent Sync. If you disable this option, files deleted by Sync (due to action on another peer) will no longer be copied to Archive.

I'm not trying to be an rear end, data loss sucks any way you look at it, but setting up a potentially destructive sync program right before a folder (not all folders, just the one you were attempting to sync) loses items is just waaaaaay too much of a coincidence to ignore and not suspect is the most likely culprit.

To try to actually be helpful here: https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledgebase/faq/579

It looks like the Synology should be using EXT4 as the filesystem. As long as the files haven't been overwritten (so hopefully you haven't been using the thing since the data loss occurred), you may be able to recover the deleted files with something that can scan EXT4 formatted partitions.

Good luck...

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Fancy_Lad posted:

Looking at your post history:

I'm not trying to be an rear end, data loss sucks any way you look at it, but setting up a potentially destructive sync program right before a folder (not all folders, just the one you were attempting to sync) loses items is just waaaaaay too much of a coincidence to ignore and not suspect is the most likely culprit.

To try to actually be helpful here: https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledgebase/faq/579

It looks like the Synology should be using EXT4 as the filesystem. As long as the files haven't been overwritten (so hopefully you haven't been using the thing since the data loss occurred), you may be able to recover the deleted files with something that can scan EXT4 formatted partitions.

Good luck...

Sorry, yes, I suspect BT Sync was the culprit... what I don't understand was that I hadn't even completed configuring it, I pointed it at the folder but it didn't connect as I didn't remember my the password I had recently setup at the time. I'm sure that was the cause and I am to blame, it just surprised me all the same as I didn't believe Sync was actually configured. I must have hosed something up in a big way though. I loaded maybe 2GB of photos to the folder immediately before realizing the folder was empty of everything else and as soon as I realized that I stopped using the volume altogether and ensured BT Sync was shut down. I did however leave the NAS online though so Synology support could remote in and take a look.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I'm moving overseas and can't take my micro server with me, so if anyone wants 4x2TB Reds see my samart thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3712721&perpage=40

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I'm crossposting this from the PC building thread because I haven't seen a response yet over there:

What are you using the system for? FreeNAS storage PC. Storing bunches and bunches of media files for streaming over the network to one or two PCs at a time at most.
What's your budget? $700-800

What do you guys think about these parts for a FreeNAS build? I'm going to be using it fairly strictly for storing media files on the home network and maybe on down the road I might run a few services in a few jails. I saw the four WD Red drives sale for $399 deal earlier in the thread so I went ahead and put together the parts I've been looking at and placed the order.

I'm planning on installing the OS on a 16GB thumb drive.

Rosewill Computer Case - Legacy W1-B - $99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147221

CORSAIR RM Series RM450 450W ATX12V v2.31 Power Supply - $89 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139052

ASRock Q1900-ITX Intel Celeron J1900 - $75 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157494

G.SKILL 8GB (2 x 4GB) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM - $55.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231294

Western Digital 3TB Red Drive x4 - $399 http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.2294091

Total - $721.95

The build is definitely centered around the drives, so those are staying of course, but if you guys notice any flat out incompatibilities anywhere else I'd love to know so I can go ahead and start thinking about changing the order.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 11, 2015

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

You're going to be using FreeNAS, but your setup doesn't support ECC memory, which according to the FreeNAS guys makes you storage Hitler. For the $320 you're spending on the computer part, you can get a TS140 thinkserver ($200) and a second stick of ECC memory ($100) to bump it up to 12GB while still following FreeNAS best practices. I did just that last month with those exact drives in RAIDZ2 and couldn't be happier.

Junkiebev
Jan 18, 2002

Feel the progress.

I'm building a FreeNAS Box for (mostly) home use. I have an internal gigabit network and a 110Mb/15Mb internet connection.

I would be using this as a file server, to download/seed torrents through a TorGuard VPN, and to (rarely) PLEX Serve media to remote locations.

This is the case that I have:

http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/pc-q08/ [ATX powersupply]

I would like it to not use too much electricity so I'm thinking of using one of these motherboards:

http://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=C2550D4I#Specifications [4 core Avoton]

http://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=C2750D4I#Specifications [8 core Avoton]

Both have IPMI which is awesome.

I'm intending to run 6x spinners (3 TB/4 TB) and one 128 GB SSD [for the OS or cache or whatever fast access thing should be set up - what is that thing?] and 16 GB of ECC memory. I'm intending to run RAIDZ2 unless there is a better option. I'm going to Team the NICs.

Several Questions:

Q1: How does this setup look?
Q2: Why do people run their FreeNAS instances off of USB drives and should I do so?
Q3: It only has PCI-e 8x - is that likely bite me in the rear end at some point?
Q4: It doesn't have USB 3.0 - is that likely bite me in the rear end at some point?
Q5: Intel is about to release their 14nm process processors so should I wait until that happens to pull the trigger?
Q6: HGST NAS drives or WD Reds?

Junkiebev fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 11, 2015

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

The OS is usually on a USB drive because it's only loaded on boot and written to very rarely, so loading it onto a hard drive, mechanical or SSD, would be a huge waste. People usually use an SSD as a ZIL/LOG drive, but it's strongly recommended that you first try it without one, because for home use your network is going to bottleneck you way before you see any benefit from an SSD. Even then, the size of a ZIL/LOG drive that will benefit you is really small (Like, only a couple of gigabytes, I think), so a 128GB SSD would be a huge waste.

Most of this I picked up in the month between when I ordered my Thinkserver and when it came in, but if someone more well versed doesn't chime in before I get to a computer, I'll try to post some relevant info from the FreeNAS forums. If you're completely new at this like I am, the Powerpoint in this thread might come in really handy:

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/slideshow-explaining-vdev-zpool-zil-and-l2arc-for-noobs.7775/

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I don't think Broadwell for server is anything to be waiting on and early adopting here usually has some goofy drawback.

Junkiebev
Jan 18, 2002

Feel the progress.

phosdex posted:

I don't think Broadwell for server is anything to be waiting on and early adopting here usually has some goofy drawback.

Thanks - that is pretty much what I figured.

Coxswain Balls posted:

The OS is usually on a USB drive because it's only loaded on boot and written to very rarely, so loading it onto a hard drive, mechanical or SSD, would be a huge waste. People usually use an SSD as a ZIL/LOG drive, but it's strongly recommended that you first try it without one, because for home use your network is going to bottleneck you way before you see any benefit from an SSD. Even then, the size of a ZIL/LOG drive that will benefit you is really small (Like, only a couple of gigabytes, I think), so a 128GB SSD would be a huge waste.

Most of this I picked up in the month between when I ordered my Thinkserver and when it came in, but if someone more well versed doesn't chime in before I get to a computer, I'll try to post some relevant info from the FreeNAS forums. If you're completely new at this like I am, the Powerpoint in this thread might come in really handy:

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/slideshow-explaining-vdev-zpool-zil-and-l2arc-for-noobs.7775/

Thanks for the pptx, I'm checking it out now.

Would the SSD be useful for the PLEX cache/indices or something similar or is the big SSD a waste full-stop? I would just use it in it's own vdev/zpool for activly downloading torrents and then move them to the big RAIDZ2 zpool if I am reading this correctly.

That board only has USB 2.0 on it - If I put the OS on a thumbdrive would that suck or just take a long time to boot?

Junkiebev fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 11, 2015

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Junkiebev posted:

Several Questions:

Q1: How does this setup look?
Q2: Why do people run their FreeNAS instances off of USB drives and should I do so?
Q3: It only has PCI-e 8x - is that likely bite me in the rear end at some point?
Q4: It doesn't have USB 3.0 - is that likely bite me in the rear end at some point?
Q5: Intel is about to release their 14nm process processors so should I wait until that happens to pull the trigger?
Q6: HGST NAS drives or WD Reds?

Q3: Unlikely, most SATA RAID controller cards are 4/8x, not 16x, so you'll be fine using that system for awhile.
Q4: I don't see why this would be a problem, unless you really want to connect large USB 3.0 hard drives and need them to copy at full speed. Booting from a 2.0 drive will depend more on the quality of the flash drive than the max bus speed of USB 2.0. And optimizing your boot speeds is a bad decision anyways... you should be booting that thing very infrequently.
Q6: If you can get them for a good price, the HGSTs are very nice. Backblaze has some good articles on the failure rates of their drives. That being said, the WD Reds have a fairly good rep as well right now. I went with 4x4tb WD Reds for my latest HD purchase, but that was mainly because I couldn't easily get HGST drives here in Canada, for some strange reason.

Skandranon fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 11, 2015

Junkiebev
Jan 18, 2002

Feel the progress.

Sorry for the question barrage and thank you for the help so far.

Between these 2 motherboards

http://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=C2550D4I#Specifications [4 core Avoton]

http://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=C2750D4I#Specifications [8 core Avoton]

I'm seeing a $160 premium for:

More cores [4/8]
More L1 Cache [128KB/256KB]
More L2 Cache [2MB/4MB]
More Wattage [14W/20W] - Who cares, that is like 2-3 money units per year
A worse additional SATA controller [Marvel SE9220/SE9172]

I'm leaning towards the (cheaper) C2550D4I - Is my thinking flawed?

Junkiebev fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 11, 2015

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Coxswain Balls posted:

You're going to be using FreeNAS, but your setup doesn't support ECC memory, which according to the FreeNAS guys makes you storage Hitler. For the $320 you're spending on the computer part, you can get a TS140 thinkserver ($200) and a second stick of ECC memory ($100) to bump it up to 12GB while still following FreeNAS best practices. I did just that last month with those exact drives in RAIDZ2 and couldn't be happier.

Ok, sounds good. The order has already been processed, so when I get it, I'll send everything back and get the TS140 Thinkserver instead.

Thanks for the advice!

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Junkiebev posted:

Sorry for the question barrage and thank you for the help so far.

Between these 2 motherboards

I'm seeing a $160 premium for:

More cores [4/8]
More L1 Cache [128KB/256KB]
More L2 Cache [2MB/4MB]
More Wattage [14W/20W] - Who cares, that is like 2-3 money units per year
A worse additional SATA controller [Marvel SE9220/SE9172]

I'm leaning towards the (cheaper) C2550D4I - Is my thinking flawed?

If you are only going to use this for your NAS, you don't really need the extra cores. If you maybe want to virtualize the FreeNAS part and run other things on it as well, the extra cores would help. But if you really want to do a VM hypervisor, you'll probably want something beefier than 8 Atom cores anyways, so you're probably best with the cheaper one.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

GreatGreen posted:

Ok, sounds good. The order has already been processed, so when I get it, I'll send everything back and get the TS140 Thinkserver instead.

Thanks for the advice!

For full disclosure, I got mine with that sale price from an eBay storefront, but I'm currently in a dispute with them because the one I got had some issues I need to pay to have fixed. Their customer service seems to be terrible and isn't getting back to me, and looking at their recent feedback it looks like I'm not the only one having issues with ordering a Thinkserver from them. Might be a blessing in disguise, because eBay's in the process of giving me a full refund due to the vendor's ineptitude.

Amazon seems to have a whole whack of them at around the same price. The model I got came with an i3 4330 and 4GB of memory. It's my first server, so I also had to get a UPS for it.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Coxswain Balls posted:

For full disclosure, I got mine with that sale price from an eBay storefront, but I'm currently in a dispute with them because the one I got had some issues I need to pay to have fixed. Their customer service seems to be terrible and isn't getting back to me, and looking at their recent feedback it looks like I'm not the only one having issues with ordering a Thinkserver from them. Might be a blessing in disguise, because eBay's in the process of giving me a full refund due to the vendor's ineptitude.

Amazon seems to have a whole whack of them at around the same price. The model I got came with an i3 4330 and 4GB of memory. It's my first server, so I also had to get a UPS for it.

So what's wrong with the server? Is it something that seems indicative of the build quality or was it something that might have happened during shipping?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

GreatGreen posted:

So what's wrong with the server? Is it something that seems indicative of the build quality or was it something that might have happened during shipping?

It didn't come with hard drive caddies, and they're like $40 each from Lenovo. Their RMA system doesn't work for international orders, yet they keep telling me to create a ticket on their RMA system before we can proceed further. Phoned in, same thing, and when I pointed out the ridiculousness of the situation to the dude, all he could say was "I'm afraid I don't have an answer for that."

The hardware itself is fantastic; the thing is dead quiet, which is the main thing I was worried about. All the negative feedback is stuff like "it came with no RAM sticks" or "the fans are broken". All of which wouldn't be that big a deal if the reseller wasn't a huge twat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Coxswain Balls posted:

It didn't come with hard drive caddies, and they're like $40 each from Lenovo.
Almost none of them come with sleds, for anyone else who is thinking about ordering one. If they do, it should be prominently noted, since they're not cheap for the OEM ones. You can usually find them for like $20 on eBay or whatnot, but it's still an obnoxious extra cost to what otherwise is a fantastic setup.