Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrTempest
Dec 11, 2011

It's not cute. It's all very serious.
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1032 I just caught the reference with "Just the rats" and how literal that was. Clever!

e: Also, http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1125 Second to last panel. Is this entire chapter perhaps some of the personal etheric horrors Antimony has created for herself?

DrTempest fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Apr 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
I'm pretending this is funny to keep myself from having any feelings.

Haledjian fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Apr 11, 2015

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Jackard posted:

No. Was it ever mentioned again? That sounds useful.

The court dismantled it after she used it.

She could always build another one, probably.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The way her camera drone flew makes me think that that kinda technology might be relatively common around the Court anyway.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

If Kat could make an anti-grav aircraft in her early teens I'm sure the court's own personnel(?) are practical miracle workers.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jackard posted:

No. Was it ever mentioned again? That sounds useful.
I think there's a throwaway line somewhere about the court taking it off her for study.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

YF-23 posted:

If Kat could make an anti-grav aircraft in her early teens I'm sure the court's own personnel(?) are practical miracle workers.

Kat is a supernaturally-good roboticist, though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Her Dad had a warp drive rocket launching to his satellite as a teenager hobbyist and he's just one of many Court researchers. Gunnerkrigg could probably build the Enterprise if they wanted to.

It would not surprise me to learn that they have, in fact.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 11, 2015

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

MikeJF posted:

Her Dad had a warp drive rocket launching to his satellite as a teenager hobbyist and he's just one of many Court researchers. Gunnerkrigg could probably build the Enterprise if they wanted to.

It would not surprise me to learn that they have, in fact.

It's powered by throwing Jones into a black hole and her physical inability to be spagettified makes massive amounts of energy.

Then Carver came around and said no.

It was dismantled the next day.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
If a tree gets cut down I am going to steal a quote from another particularly British thing that I read/play quite a bit "A reckoning is not to be postponed indefinitely"

There will be such a reckoning as to be worthy of remembrance, but even Jones may not survive the explosion.

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009
Speaking of "things you just noticed on re-reading this again", it seems Jimmy Jims got some inspiration for teleporting from Brinnie (most relevant comic used for the current dark, sad turn of the story).

Wonder how that happened. It would be nice to have few one-off comics about previous generation GC, during the interim that's going to happen after Kat explodes next comic/this chapter ends...:smith:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Faust IX posted:

Speaking of "things you just noticed on re-reading this again", it seems Jimmy Jims got some inspiration for teleporting from Brinnie (most relevant comic used for the current dark, sad turn of the story).

Wonder how that happened. It would be nice to have few one-off comics about previous generation GC, during the interim that's going to happen after Kat explodes next comic/this chapter ends...:smith:

Man, Jimmy Jim's would have been a way better dad than Anthony. But then so would most men, and a few wolves.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Man, Jimmy Jim's would have been a way better dad than Anthony. But then so would most men, and a few wolves.

And Jones.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
To be fair, Jimmy Jims obviously thinks he should have been Annie's dad and that's why Annie thinks he's a creep.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Huh. I'm re-reading Stone for the milionth time and I noticed this: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1125
"Things will be changing for you shortly." - this is halfway through Year 9, this might be "shortly" for Jones, so she probably knew about Anthony coming to the Court.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rand Brittain posted:

To be fair, Jimmy Jims obviously thinks he should have been Annie's dad and that's why Annie thinks he's a creep.

This chapter sure puts some of Eglamore and Renard's past actions in a better light.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Kikas posted:

Huh. I'm re-reading Stone for the milionth time and I noticed this: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1125
"Things will be changing for you shortly." - this is halfway through Year 9, this might be "shortly" for Jones, so she probably knew about Anthony coming to the Court.

Jones was probably referring to the upcoming selection of medium, which she presumed would be Annie because she had recommended it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

This chapter sure puts some of Eglamore and Renard's past actions in a better light.

Yeah, I've always thought Eglamore really needed to let "Surma chose Tony over me" go, but now that I've met Tony... it's going to be a little difficult.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Just because Tony is Bad Dad, Worst Friend, doesn't mean that Eglamore/Reynad's torch for Surma is suddenly healthy.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

karmicknight posted:

Just because Tony is Bad Dad, Worst Friend, doesn't mean that Eglamore/Reynad's torch for Surma is suddenly healthy.

No, but it does strongly indicate that their hatred and disrespect for Tony isn't based solely on resentment and jealousy.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I have to admit, if my significant other left me for Voldemort I'd probably still have a complex about it fifteen years later.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Kikas posted:

Just under 5 pages later is a new chapter called "Changes" about the medium selection where Jones thought Annie was gonna get selected.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Lurdiak posted:

Reynard was right.

E: Also a preview of how Antimony is going to react to Kat calling out her father.

Itzena fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Apr 12, 2015

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I don't think this is Kat's angry face, I think she's about to break down crying.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
there had better be some kind of positive development today or I swear to god I'll...probably cry a bit.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I wouldn't count on it. It's going to get worse before it gets better.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

thatbastardken posted:

there had better be some kind of positive development today or I swear to god I'll...probably cry a bit.

I'd have some tissues ready.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

When does the comic usually update in east coast time in the US?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Thunderfinger posted:

When does the comic usually update in east coast time in the US?

3 AM. This is not affected by daylight savings time.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Tom, you fucker.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

He's a meanie poo poo bum head

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Kat isn't going to be able to muster the language skills to call Tony out on his bullshit.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The fact that Kat is talking like Kat instead of going into a big melodramatic speech actually makes this sadder.

I may need to take a break from the comic for a little while, I've had a really rough couple of real life days and this is a bit too heavy for me to enjoy as a result.

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

You can trip on my synthesizer.
The saddest Kat.

Lurdiak posted:

The fact that Kat is talking like Kat instead of going into a big melodramatic speech actually makes this sadder.

I may need to take a break from the comic for a little while, I've had a really rough couple of real life days and this is a bit too heavy for me to enjoy as a result.

This is pretty much what I was going to say. Maybe blowing through a month or so in one go will make it easier.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
drat, Kat has taken a step back and become the audience at this point.

We might just get a chapter of Gunnerkrigg Court: Buckle Down and Study, Children, yet.

Tony Carver Did Nothing Wrong.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Your posting makes girls cry.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Things continue to...not get better.

Finally found some pages I've been looking for that might have been helpful earlier during the discussion of Annie and cheating:
- Whatever Gunnerkrigg Court is, Kat and Annie noticed way back that it's a lot more than a school, and the entire comic has kind of been about them finding out what it really is. (I don't even think it's really a school to begin with. If anything, the whole school thing seems to be one big assimilation factory for the Forest residents/Britain's Supernatural Children...who might also be part of the Court's ether tests?).
- The whole comic has had some really interesting pages on Annie and her decision-making as she grows up: Jones wants her to make decisions for herself, while Jimmy Jims just...doesn't want her to get caught (like her mom, a squeaky-clean rule breaker herself).

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Renard is definitely not going to go quietly. We can all look forward to that defiance in the coming pages.

Or maybe he'll go in total silence, murderglare at full bore.

goddammit i wanna see some poo poo blow up over this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Combed Thunderclap posted:

If anything, the whole school thing seems to be one big assimilation factory for the Forest residents/Britain's Supernatural Children...

Not just Britain's, since for example Paz is Spanish and Gamma is Polish. And at its foundation there were also prominent non-British people, notably Diego (Spanish) and Jeanne (presumably French).