Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

amethystbliss posted:

I've been lucky enough to stay home with her so far, but she starts daycare in a month and I'm going to be a mess.

It's great that she figured out walking before she started, though. One of the one year olds in my daughters kindergarten was still crawling when she started (almost all kids start kindergarten at that age in Norway), and my one year old, who could walk, would follow her around and steal her pacifier, holding it out just of her reach, apparently for shits and giggles. I'm raising a psychopath :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

amethystbliss posted:

I've been lucky enough to stay home with her so far, but she starts daycare in a month and I'm going to be a mess. Especially since she shows no interest in weaning/refuses bottles. I just don't think I can manage pumping + an intense full time nurse practitioner program with clinical rotations...

It sounds like she will be just under a year old? If so, I wouldn't worry about pumping or bottles. As long as you guys nurse three times per day when together, there's no need for supplemental milk during the day. She can just have her solids while you guys are separated. Most working moms pump wean at a year and keep breastfeeding as long as desired.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

Sockmuppet posted:

I'm raising a psychopath :v:

Wait until she asks if she can eat people! :roflolmao:

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
It's strange, I think of my son a few months ago when he turned two and was like.. yep. Toddler, still babyish.
Now at 2.5 he's had some sort of brain explosion or something and he's like, a proper little boy. With opinions, and very strong likes and dislikes.

He wasn't talking a huge amount but now he's really coming along. We have a weird thing now though where some of his words are backwards.

Ask him his name and he will tell you he is 'Nonoss!' (Soren) There are a few other words he does backwards too, is this just a development thing?

He toilet trained himself in a matter of days, and we only have an accident maybe once a week - and mostly because he holds on for too long.
Overnight we are only putting him in those training pull-ups, and he is dry a few nights in a row, then a small accident, then dry again.

What did you do for toilet training overnight? Should we just put him in regular underpants and if he wets then he'll learn to get up and go when he needs to? Or should we hold out until he is dry for a full week then give it a go?

He sleeps with his bedroom door closed, without a nightlight, and has ever since day dot. So we could put his potty in his room to use overnight if he needs to, but should we start to have a nightlight on? Or should we put one of those sensor based ones by his potty so it comes on when he is using it and goes off when he is back in his bed?

Psychopath input: He likes to come up, pretend to take a bite out of your cheek and then say 'Eat!' while pointing to his teeth with a big toothy grin. My son pretends to eat people.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up
Holy poo poo, having top and bottom teeth brings a whole new level of pain. I am pretty sure she tried to bite off my nipple. :gonk:

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

iwik posted:

There are a few other words he does backwards too, is this just a development thing?

My kid does that too with some words, "melka" (the milk) is "mekla" and "lokk" (lid) is "kol", etc. It's actually a linguistic phenomena (in the olden days "bird" was "brid" and "horse" was "hros"), it usually just has to do with what's easier to pronounce. Being a language nerd, I've had tons of fun noting things like that when she does them. It's awesome getting to watch someone figuring out how language works from scratch.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
It is super neat to watch how his language develops over time. Loving the fact he can ask for things by name, instead of grunting and pointing.

It's hilarious watching him when 'Raa Raa the Noisy Lion' or 'Tree Fu Tom' come on telly, and he shouts the names of the characters out as they are introduced.. even though they sound nothing like them at least he's giving it a good shot.
Well, except for Raa Raa. He has that one down pat.

ARCDad
Jul 22, 2007
Not to be confused with poptartin
So I'm getting ready to start the idea of Potty Training with my daughter, and having to work on that with my ex (her mom). After some initial discussion, she states that she wants to use a method called "3 day potty training", and it's essentially doing it over a single 3 day period.

I'm a little skeptical on this, so i'm curious if anyone else has used this and if it works, or if there are other options that have worked better for people?

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Is the kid interested? If the kid isn't ready, it will be a lot harder/impossible to do.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

momtartin posted:

I'm a little skeptical on this, so i'm curious if anyone else has used this and if it works, or if there are other options that have worked better for people?

My friend did it, they spent all weekend Fri-Sun with the 2-year old naked and putting her on the potty every hour or so. The mom was in tears by the end of day two because it just wasn't working, and they spent the entire third day trying and crying. It was another few months before the kid was fully trained, but that was more when the kid was ready and willing to participate.

My method was to put my kid on the potty morning and night and giving him a few minutes to try to pee or poo. It was more to get him used to the idea of the toilet, so he wasn't scared to try. It took a while, and some major frustration, but he eventually figured it out. We didn't rush him, it took about a year for total understanding and bladder control. Poop came over the next 2 months or so, but it was an overnight switch. Once he pooped in the potty once, he was done pooping his pants.

Our 2-year old is now interested in the potty, but doesn't really get the concept of peeing. She sits on it and farts and cackles, so I think we'll just start putting her on morning and night like her older brother.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

sheri posted:

Is the kid interested? If the kid isn't ready, it will be a lot harder/impossible to do.

Yeah, from what I've read/heard, the point of the three day method is that instead of a long drawn-out training period, you wait until your kid is really interested and seems ready, and then basically do intensive potty training boot camp.But it won't work if your kid isn't actually ready, either physically or mentally/emotionally.

For now (she's 1,5 years) we're just talking about the potty and the toilet, and what we do on it (as a consequence, she'll narrate loudly whenever one of us goes to the bathroom: "DADDY IS PEEING IN THE TOILET! PEEING AND POOPING! YES! IN THE TOILET!"), and with every diaper change we sit a little on the potty. Sometimes she pees a bit, and we make a big deal out of it. She'll get lots of naked time outside this summer, and if she seems ready to swith to the potty for real, we'll try something like the three-day-thing.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Same here. We tried doing this with Alexandra months ago, and it just didn't stick. Now, she wants to use the potty much more (often as a delaying tactic :rolleyes:) but she still has trouble getting to the potty to poop regularly.

luna piena
Apr 7, 2006
i've never seen a wild thing feel sorry for itself
I posted here a few months ago about my twins not really talking or even attempting to make words. Now they are just over 15 months and they are still not saying a single word! I wasn't worried before because they are learning 3 languages, but now I'm starting to get a little concerned. They don't even say 'mama' or 'dada'. I mean, they make tons of babbling sounds including mamamama but it's not directed at me or my husband.

They do point at things, and sometimes understand directions like "get your shoes", they understand no, come, and stop, they know their names and the dog's name, but they aren't saying anything at all and I feel like they should be understanding more. Am I talking to them the wrong way? Should I just be talking non stop about anything and everything? I tend to talk them off and on during the day depending on what we're doing or what's happening. I don't talk allllll the time, should I be? Should I be repeating the names of things over and over? I try to point things out as often as possible, but I'm not sure I'm doing it right anymore. We also look at books every night but they're never interested in hearing a story. They'd rather just play with the book, flipping the pages and stuff. Am I being impatient or are these things problematic?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

luna piena posted:

I posted here a few months ago about my twins not really talking or even attempting to make words. Now they are just over 15 months and they are still not saying a single word! I wasn't worried before because they are learning 3 languages, but now I'm starting to get a little concerned. They don't even say 'mama' or 'dada'. I mean, they make tons of babbling sounds including mamamama but it's not directed at me or my husband.

They do point at things, and sometimes understand directions like "get your shoes", they understand no, come, and stop, they know their names and the dog's name, but they aren't saying anything at all and I feel like they should be understanding more. Am I talking to them the wrong way? Should I just be talking non stop about anything and everything? I tend to talk them off and on during the day depending on what we're doing or what's happening. I don't talk allllll the time, should I be? Should I be repeating the names of things over and over? I try to point things out as often as possible, but I'm not sure I'm doing it right anymore. We also look at books every night but they're never interested in hearing a story. They'd rather just play with the book, flipping the pages and stuff. Am I being impatient or are these things problematic?

Developmentally, they're still within a normal range, if they're babbling. If you're worried, though, there's nothing wrong with having them checked out, just to reassure yourself.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Ours aren't speaking much either at 19 months (though developmentally they should be at 16.5 months), they say mama now and then, sometimes they say papa, and lots of babbling. They are learning two languages. They also seem to be understanding us better with time. I'm not worried myself.

ARCDad
Jul 22, 2007
Not to be confused with poptartin

sheri posted:

She's interested but right now it's more of a delaying tactic than anything I think. She will say she has to go potty right before the bath and then I put her down she runs away or just sits on it and does nothing. Understand the concept too ("dada poop! Dada pee! Poop in bath?" (that was a disgusting night)).
We're not going to start right away, and let her show more interest but I'm just trying to look at some methods and find out if this three-day thing is all that it's cracked up to be.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

luna piena posted:

Am I being impatient or are these things problematic?

Ask your pediatrician. Not because I think anything is wrong, but because this is obviously nagging at you, and you're second-guessing yourself and thinking that you're doing something wrong. Getting a professional opinion is much better than worrying and imagining horrible things. Most likely your doctor will ease your worries and tell you that everything is fine :) But if it turns out that they do need a bit of intervention to get on track, you'll have gotten the process started early.

(But seriously, imagine trying to make sense of three languages in 15 months, while also having to learn how to walk, digest food, and soothe yourself to sleep! I bet you'll see an absolute language explosion in a few months.)

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

For what it's worth, mine is going on 15 months, and just babbling as well and we're not too worried. Every few days it's a new sound that she gets obsessed with making.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I think most guidelines say a child should have at least one word by 15 months.

If you are concerned it can't hurt to have a discussion about it with your ped.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Our kid is at 20 months and still just does "mama", "dadda", "uppy" and "Elsa." He's on a real Frozen kick lately.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
Don't multiple language children verbalize a bit later? I seem to recall seeing that somewhere... Not that they have a delay, just a brain-to-mouth thing.

As for the eternal potty training discussion...Personally, I don't think those "potty train in a weekend" things work until a child is:

a) Plenty old enough to both get it and
b) Be capable of actually doing it, and most importantly
c) Ready and willing to do it.

I liken it to starting potty training at 2, because of some arbitrary "they're 2 now" thinking and working for an entire year to get it vs. starting at 3 and achieving the same result in a week or two. (I've seen plenty of this thinking; it's not a race, and every kid is different. Also with pacifiers and naps at arbitrary ages. Jeez!) If you wait until they're ready AND willing, you can just skip the months and months of headaches and tears and get to the same place.

Tim took forever. Forever. He wasn't poop potty trained fully until 4+. He'd save it up until night time when he got his pull up on. It sucked. Even with no more pull ups, he'd wait and wait and wait until he just had an accident. Liam was 1000% different. I vowed I wasn't even going to bother to "train" him. Just ask if he wanted to use the potty, and if he said no, whatever. No pressure, no worries, I didn't care if I diapered him until he was getting ready for kindergarten. I didn't want anymore stress, fights, and tears. About 3.5, he just started doing it. And waking up dry. We went from pullups to underpants, accident free, in about a week. He was ready, and did it. He just did it. I recommend this approach, seriously, rather than some sort of arbitrary type thing. They're just little more than walking babies, and yet some people start to expect so much from them...

Here's a bigger kid developmental question: Why is Tim still making some letters backwards? Lower case "b" and "d", "p" and "q", hell even "c" and "s". He's finishing 1st grade now. I've asked him, and he gets indignant and pissy and says he knows (then do it!), and his teacher thinks he's just in a hurry and not mindful all the time (this is pretty fitting for him). Is this a practice/discipline thing, or a look into an issue thing? He's still only 6, albeit only for another month, so I'm not quite sure what is 'normal' or not. (He's a bright kid, but if he doesn't think something is important, or it doesn't interest him, it's like pulling teeth. We go through this with his art class and music class at school. "It's important to always try and do your very best at all parts of school, even if it's not something you think you like. You may discover you like it after all, and even not, it's still important to always be your best self.")

Big kid parenting has been much tougher than babies for me... Some days, I wish it was still just as simple as pacing with a fussy baby! ;)

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

AlistairCookie posted:

Here's a bigger kid developmental question: Why is Tim still making some letters backwards? Lower case "b" and "d", "p" and "q", hell even "c" and "s". He's finishing 1st grade now. I've asked him, and he gets indignant and pissy and says he knows (then do it!), and his teacher thinks he's just in a hurry and not mindful all the time (this is pretty fitting for him). Is this a practice/discipline thing, or a look into an issue thing? He's still only 6, albeit only for another month, so I'm not quite sure what is 'normal' or not. (He's a bright kid, but if he doesn't think something is important, or it doesn't interest him, it's like pulling teeth. We go through this with his art class and music class at school. "It's important to always try and do your very best at all parts of school, even if it's not something you think you like. You may discover you like it after all, and even not, it's still important to always be your best self.")

Big kid parenting has been much tougher than babies for me... Some days, I wish it was still just as simple as pacing with a fussy baby! ;)

I used to mess up p and q a lot when I was around that age, despite otherwise reading and writing above my grade level. I don't know if it's a mental block or what but I wouldn't worry about it and it corrected itself in time with practice (not sure exactly when but definitely before grade 2). Occasional backwards letters are nothing if not a hallmark of little kid writing. Emphasizing to give equal effort to everything in school is a great message though.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

AlistairCookie posted:

My 4 1/2 year old has suddenly started resisting a lot of the discipline and house rules we've had in place, and giving me attitude when I talk to him about it. I was all sad and scared for him to start the preschool and kindergarten track, but this line of acting out has shown me he is outgrowing this part of his childhood and is ready for school. I think he needs some kind of outside perspective to understand just how awesome he has it at home. You take stuff for granted when you get to go on adventures every day, so now that he's starting school tomorrow hopefully our adventures and home-life will be much more appreciated and respected.

By contrast, our 13-month old is starting to walk consistently and is babbling up a storm, and I get to relive the adorable drunk toddler stage all over again. He's not a replacement for my oldest, but it is an interesting dichotomy. There's also other stuff, like my oldest is likely acting up to get attention away from the baby, but I think the introduction of school and the independence the baby now has with mobility will change the dynamic in the house for the better.

Kids, man!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I can't wait for the kids to become a little older, they're running me ragged right now with their destroy the house for fun habits. We've had to move plants and lamps and such from the living room into a locked room because they won't leave them alone, they won't stop digging in the flower pot dirt or yanking the leaves, and trying to eat them. Living room is looking a lot more sterile now.

They open kitchen cabinet doors and all other doors so we have one big bottom cabinet empty and I got locks on several others, but Daniel figured out how to open it by shaking the door (only works on that particular door because it's double hinged) and gets into the opts and pans and drags the over the floor.So now we have a chair permanently in front of that cabinet, how nice looking.

They also figured out how to open the door to to the tv table and I had my laptop in there, it was supposed to be pretty kid safe as the push to open door didn't function properly and you had to open it a special way by lifting and pushing the door. Daniel opens it by hitting it with his forehead multiple times. They pulled a buncha keys of the keyboard and I haven't gotten several of them back again.

Bookshelves are fun, especially where the important documents and such as kept, such fun to rip those out and throw them all around and chew on them. Some old copies of local newspapers from the 70s that where my grandfathers where fun to rip up too, I had saved those as mementos and it's fun to read decade old ads for stores that are still around.

It'd also be nice o be able to take a shower without the kids lying on the floor at the door sticking their hands under and yelling.

And eating, man they don't want to be fed anymore, they refuse to eat that way, and when they eat themselves they play with the food and get it everywhere, I rarely feel like there's much of a point in putting fresh clothes on them one feeding and they're dirty again, they like to pull the bibs off too, so they're usually in the same clothes for several days, no point in giving them new ones all the time. Though we've taken to giving them ablative shirts they wear over their regular clothes that soak up the worst.

Ugh. Any of this feel familiar or are we horrible parents?

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

His Divine Shadow posted:

Well, you do have two of them running around, so you'll have twice the regular amount of trouble ;)

We addressed the baby sabotage issue by simply accepting it, and removing anything we didn't want her to destroy. We started storing her toys in the bottom part of the bookshelf, and moved the stuff in the kitchen cabinets around, so that anything she could get at, was safe for her. She roamed around and made a mess of things for a while, and we just cleaned it up afterwards and had her help putting stuff back, then the novelty of it just seemed to wear off. Whenever she gains a bit of reach or figures out how to climb stuff, we do a new search and sweep of potentially dangerous/valuable things, and then we just let her explore her new-found territory untill she's satisfied.

You really just have to be vigilant about keeping precious heirlooms and laptops and scissors and other stuff completely out of their reach untill they're old enough to treat them with care, or old enough to really, properly understand that some things are not to be touched. And that's going to be a while, so it's better just to develop the habit of putting things on high shelves :)

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

We have a giant baby corral around our entertainment center, though they can still reach over the top of it to grab video game controllers and stuff. I just have to be on top of it if they get close to the TV. It's secured with earthquake straps, but my oldest has taken to driving his cars across the flatscreen TV and I can never seem to stop him in time.

We also have gates in front of both kid bedrooms and gates blocking off the kitchen. It's like a maze here, and new guests in the home always seem to struggle with finding a way to the bathroom. My house isn't even that big, but we've managed to keep everything precious either locked away or on a high shelf. That didn't stop my middle kid from getting her hands on my phone and doing a factory reset, but I feel like even if we lose the occasional battle we are winning the war. In a loving way.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

All quiet on the eastern front, for now, but two red army tank divisions can come rolling over the hills any second, obliterating all in sight.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

His Divine Shadow posted:

Sounds about right. Eleanor seems personally offended if the books are on the shelves and not all over the floor and will let nothing get in her way of restoring the rightful order of things. I've just given up and let her get on with it - she is the most determined child there is and no amount of distraction will stop her ripping those books off the shelves again. We've had to block off parts of the room that are actually dangerous but she'll still manage to get in there if you turn your back for more than 30 seconds. Her favourite places to be are behind the fireguard sticking her hand into the ashes in the fireplace, and behind the desktop PC's pulling cables out (both areas have things in front that should block her but she manages to get round them). Right now she is drawing on my laptop screen with a pencil that she has stolen from my study area so when I go back to the maths course I'm doing I'll not be able to find any pencils and when I do find them she'll have eaten the rubbers off the end.

I love her but she is such a witch.

On the talking front she has just turned 2 and she only says about 6 words. I've spoken to the health visitor who is going to speak to the speech and language department but isn't too concerned. Her comprehension is fine, she can follow directions no problem (when she wants to) and babbles and sings along to songs. I'm not overly worried but it's playing on my mind more the longer it's taking.

luna piena
Apr 7, 2006
i've never seen a wild thing feel sorry for itself
Thanks for the responses guys! I will ask our pediatrician at our wellness visit next week.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We made stratiegic changes to our livingroom. Its a large room so its easy for us. (I think its around 20' x 20' give or take some feet either way) Its split down the middle so half of it is his play area, another 1/4th of it has the tv and entertainment center and the other 1/4 has our "office" with all of our computers/work/important documents and so on. We have one of those long baby gates with the multiple panels around the office area, but we can swing one end of the gate so it also can block the tv and office area from the play area. The rest of the house has everything of value above 4 feet off the ground.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Rubber bands have supplanted almost all the babyproofing cupboard locks because they seem to be the only thing Sydney can't defeat for some reason. Fine by me since rubber bands are everywhere. So far we haven't had too many major issues on that front, outside of a couple weeks ago when we had one of those 'it's too quiet' moments and found Sydney making 'sand castles' in the kitchen with all the sugar in the house. It was like the end of Scarface.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I still haven't found a decent way to baby-proof my fridge.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Alterian posted:

A siren that goes off when it opens to scare the poo poo out of them. They won't open it after that. The opposite principle to pavlovs dog.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

Alterian posted:

We have a French door fridge, with a drawer freezer on the bottom. So I bought a short bungee cord, with a hook on each end. Hook one on one fridge door handle, loop down and around the freezer handle, and back up to the other fridge door handle.

It may not work for your fridge, but it was awesome for ours. Even if they'd pull on the freezer and open it a little bit, the cord would just pull it shut.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Our fridge doesn't have a handle or it would be a lot easier.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Babyproof fridge locks seem simple. I've used one on an old fridge that didn't stay closed back before I had a baby.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/inde...F:13193076:TRUS

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We have about 3 of those still attached to our fridge from either wearing out from use or guests coming over and not realizing they were on and ripping them off.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
My solution was to make a very small child - she can't reach the fridge door :v:

Tourette Meltdown
Sep 11, 2001

Most people with Tourette Syndrome are able to hold jobs and lead full lives. But not you.

AlistairCookie posted:

I'm dysgraphic (and still can't write print) and one of the earliest signs was me relentlessly writing letters backwards/upside down/transposed/as numbers instead, but when I learned cursive at 10 it magically cleared up. I didn't have it investigated as a potential disorder until I was an adult. If it worries you enough to look into it, you might as well, but realistically he's just a (n almost) 7 year old boy who's bored and rushing. If his teacher thinks it's an issue, I might take her opinion a little more seriously than a stranger off the internet. After all, she knows your son! But if she's not concerned, eh. Don't worry about it. He may grow out of it in time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Anyone know of any good parenting podcasts or podcasts geared towards fatherhood?

Preferably ones that avoid "everything is magic 100% of the time" talk too...haven't been able to find anything good.