Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Inspector_666 posted:

Yeah, if the DHCP server goes down and you somehow can't spin up a temporary replacement within 8 hours or whatever your lease time is, DHCP isn't the problem.

When has anyone ever had an issue with a DHCP server long enough for it to be a problem though? in 10 years I've seen one client have an issue with it and it was because they decommissioned their DHCP server by mistake.

Goddamn I'm glad I've never worked with people as moronic as some of you have had to deal with.

theperminator fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
I'm sure half the problem is idiots have the lease times set to something retarded like 15 minutes.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
That just reminded me of the issue that one client had, Windows' Default lease time for Wired is 8 Days

They didn't know anything was broken for a week. we were lucky they hadn't trashed their server.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

theperminator posted:

When has anyone ever had an issue with a DHCP server long enough for it to be a problem though? in 10 years I've seen one client have an issue with it and it was because they decommissioned their DHCP server by mistake.

I once encountered a network installation that used static IPs because "its more secure because someone has to come talk to me to get on my network".

My father's :sigh:

At least he understood what I was showing him with tcpdump, and worked it out.

NeuralSpark fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Apr 11, 2015

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

To be fair, I stopped paying attention at "eFAX" too. Woooo you know that'll kill a crowd.

Yeah, I don't blame them for being disinterested in effectively dead technology. I hear the Japanese still love that poo poo though.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

So, now in addition to my Regularly Scheduled and Run Projects, I have the OMG Crash Project Must Be Done ASAP I got pulled into because apparently no one is able to get everything pulling the same direction.

poo poo That Is OK: So, it looks like I'm one of the go to's for problem services and architecture. Which is cool, not a huge company, but not small either (about 5,000 employees). So it's nice to know that I appear to have a good reputation internally.

poo poo that is PISSING ME OFF:

- Despite being something I and others have raised as being a potential issue MONTHS ago, no movement was made to do anything until the last couple weeks.
- The due date is: "well, if we can have it working by the end of the month, that would be great." Despite it having many moving parts that need to talk back and forth to each other. I've managed to limit that to core functioning, with extras and automation as TBD.
- Despite (I use that word a lot) everyone knowing what each piece of the service needs to be, "we should still evaluate other vendor solutions to show diligence because of the cost involved"
- Oh, and cost. "Try to deliver it best of class while keeping costs below what best in class costs"
- Despite (pt. IV, the Revenge of Spite) the fact I send out updates TWICE a day on progress, I still get Baron Toolie von Tool stopping by to do an ad hoc one-on-one update meeting on progress.
- And stop asking me on when it will be done. It will be done when it is done. And the more you stop by to "talk about progress" the farther out that date gets.
- Really? Paging me on a Friday at 11:50 PM to ask "Are you up?" to have yet another loving meeting? No I am not up.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Apr 11, 2015

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

theperminator posted:

When the University of Strathclyde rolled out their resnet in 2000, DHCP would go down every Friday afternoon, and STAY down all weekend, like clockwork. Reservations were long enough that those of us antisocial enough to run PCs 24/7 weren't affected, but everyone "normal" hated it.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

ookiimarukochan posted:

When the University of Strathclyde rolled out their resnet in 2000, DHCP would go down every Friday afternoon, and STAY down all weekend, like clockwork. Reservations were long enough that those of us antisocial enough to run PCs 24/7 weren't affected, but everyone "normal" hated it.

was it running from one of the admins desktops?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Yeah, I don't blame them for being disinterested in effectively dead technology. I hear the Japanese still love that poo poo though.
A lot of the finance sector is still enamoured with faxes, too. Because somehow a signature that gets scanned and sent over a phone line is more trustworthy than one that gets scanned and sent over TCP/IP.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Collateral Damage posted:

A lot of the finance sector is still enamoured with faxes, too. Because somehow a signature that gets scanned and sent over a phone line is more trustworthy than one that gets scanned and sent over TCP/IP.

I used to think faxing was still a thing in certain fields due to momentum and resistance to change, but if deploying e-faxing has taught me anything it's that everybody hates faxing. We've had people begging us to put it on their computer next after they see people not have to deal with paper faxing anymore.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
One of the big things regular faxes has going for them, from compliance/etc perspectives, is that you can go the phone company and get an unequivocal record that a call was made from Company X's fax line to Company Y's fax line for long enough to send the 2 pages of fax that Company X claimed to have sent. You don't have nearly the same ease for "proving" an email was properly sent in such an simple to verify way.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

You could always ask NSA. :nsa:

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Nintendo Kid posted:

One of the big things regular faxes has going for them, from compliance/etc perspectives, is that you can go the phone company and get an unequivocal record that a call was made from Company X's fax line to Company Y's fax line for long enough to send the 2 pages of fax that Company X claimed to have sent. You don't have nearly the same ease for "proving" an email was properly sent in such an simple to verify way.

There are plenty of options for secure electronic message transfer that provide significantly better auditing capabilities than "Yes, a 30-second phone call was made to Company Y's fax line, but we don't know if the transmission consisted of the required document, five pages of dickbutt, or some dude farting into the handset for half a minute." Hell, even plain old email can provide better auditing and data retention than a fax.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Nintendo Kid posted:

That, and the legal system -- at least in the USA -- has absolutely zero capacity to try IT matters. I've been peripherally involved in a case in which Entity Y's attorneys rather successfully baffled the judge to hell regarding the certainty of Company X's logs. Plot twist, I was affiliated with Entity Y, but it was regardless pretty bullshit. I frankly cannot remember even half of it. Utter retardation -- and it worked.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

dennyk posted:

There are plenty of options for secure electronic message transfer that provide significantly better auditing capabilities than "Yes, a 30-second phone call was made to Company Y's fax line, but we don't know if the transmission consisted of the required document, five pages of dickbutt, or some dude farting into the handset for half a minute." Hell, even plain old email can provide better auditing and data retention than a fax.

If you were just farting into the handset, the fax would hang up. Generally when companies complain the right document wasn't sent they say nothing was sent at all, at least in compliance related matters, so the fact that there was a phone connection for the requisite length of time to send the correct document is proof enough that the thing was attempted in good faith.

It's the same reason postmarks work for "proof" even though theoretically someone would have just mailed blank sheets.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

flosofl posted:

- Really? Paging me on a Friday at 11:50 PM to ask "Are you up?" to have yet another loving meeting? No I am not up.

Set a meeting from 5PM to 9AM or whenever it is you're off work, and ask people who do that to check your calendar first to see if you're free. If they're so clueless as to page you at 11:50, seeing 24 hour meetings will amaze them with your go-getter attitude!

On a serious note, I have a meeting set from 4PM - 8PM marked "Commuting home then putting children to bed" so that no one from the west coast tries to schedule me for a 6PM meeting without being warned about my "schedule conflict" automatically.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Does $100 USD/month for a /24 IPv4 block seem cheap to anyone else, or is that just me?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Volmarias posted:

On a serious note, I have a meeting set from 4PM - 8PM marked "Commuting home then putting children to bed" so that no one from the west coast tries to schedule me for a 6PM meeting without being warned about my "schedule conflict" automatically.
I have a similar thing with a daily reoccurring entry between 1130 and 1300 so that no assclown tries to book me for a meeting just before or during lunch.

I also have a reoccurring entry between 18:00 and midnight on Fridays that just says "therapy" and has its location set to my regular pub.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

anthonypants posted:

Does $100 USD/month for a /24 IPv4 block seem cheap to anyone else, or is that just me?

Sounds like a steal.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Crowley posted:

Sounds like a steal.
The customer who is currently participating in this steal of a deal is only paying $550/month total, so it's not like they're a huge customer who got a steep discount because of other business. There's no reason we should be charging them so little for this.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

anthonypants posted:

There's no reason we should be charging them so little for this.

Sales: if we give them x for a steal we'll totally get more business from them later!
*customer never increases spend*

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Is the address blacklisted for spam by all of the majors?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

theperminator posted:

Sales: if we give them x for a steal we'll totally get more business from them later!
consulting.txt

"If we give work away for free, the client will value us more because we will have established that our work I worth...uh oh."

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004
so what is /24 worth these days?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

theperminator posted:

This is basically our business model.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

KennyTheFish posted:

so what is /24 worth these days?
I'm curious about this too, and if our billing database wasn't hot garbage I might be able to see what we're charging other customers. But I think whoever set this up just used a free text field instead of a specific rate, so we might not even have a standardized rate system for IPv4 blocks.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Investment banks are stupid as hell, no wonder they get hacked into all the time. We have one as a client that refuses us to install dependencies needed for our software on their dev/uat servers.

We need to install PowerShell 3.0, and .NET 4.5.1, as these are now required by our software, especially for installation purposes. First they will not allow it because they refuse to acknowledge its existence (we literally have to send them links to Microsoft pages for PS and .NET). Next, they tell us oh well they have PS 2.0, and .NET 4.0, will this be sufficient? No. No you fucks. We're not asking you for this stuff for fun, it's loving required. "Well, can't you redesign the software to make it work with .NET 4.0?" How about I redesign my foot to fit up your rear end? After months of arguing about pre-reqs they usually give in to our demands.

Then of course they say, "Even though this is externally facing, we don't think it warrants the use of SSL :). Also, the AD account we're going to be using, it's okay if it doesn't have a password, right?".

Have any of you guys left your jobs because you felt morally compromised? That's the road I feel I'm going down.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

GargleBlaster posted:

Nothing quite prepares you for the horrors of stripping back "outdoor" cable (for installation to the back of a patch panel. Why they ran outdoor cable indoors is beyond me). Gross gross gross. Practically wading in grease!

That's not grease, dawg
Grab yourself some hydra-sol

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Tailored Sauce posted:

Have any of you guys left your jobs because you felt morally compromised? That's the road I feel I'm going down.

Man, don't leave your job over these idiots. You are not morally compromised if you are informing them of security measures they should be taking and they refuse to take them. You have no control over their network (I assume based on the context), and therefore no responsibility to see it managed correctly. If you were their security guy or network admin, and they were telling you to cut big security corners and you did, that's when you're morally compromised. You're supporting your software (again, I'm assuming here).

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007

Maniaman posted:

DHCP (or lack thereof)

We support over 4000 devices. Static IP assignments for all of them!

Need to move one to your office to troubleshoot? Hope you switched the subnet right, or else you're wasting 10 minutes booting it up while it tries and fails to contact the domain controller because it's on a different subnet.

Can't use DHCP because "it's too unreliable." What if the DHCP server goes down? Then nobody can connect and we might have to have people reboot their computers.

Never mind the fact that we're running out of IP addresses in a bunch of subnets because everything is statically assigned and nobody updates the list when a system/IP is retired, so there's lots of IP assignments in the list that most likely don't exist anymore.

edit: the best part is we have a DHCP server (with like 5-10 available addresses in each subnet). If a device sits on a DHCP lease more than a week or two the network admins make us hunt it down and set a static IP for it.

My line manager is about to implement this strategy for our 100+ branches. :shepface: Though at least the office devices will be staying as DHCP.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Venusy posted:

My line manager is about to implement this strategy for our 100+ branches. :shepface: Though at least the office devices will be staying as DHCP.

He is doing that and not using DHCP to hand out the static IPs? I'm sorry, but I must inform you he is a moron.

poo poo pissing me off:
Over the last 2 years, my cube space and work environment have become less and and less attractive. Today my entire team had to show up to the new building. A non descript building in an industrial park. I walk in, it is a cube farm. My desk is now less then half the sized of my old desk. The chair is uncomfortable as hell. The monitors are non adjustable, and thus the bezel starts 6 inches below my eye height. Next I know I'll be working in the basement taking care of a pest problem.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Venusy posted:

This is how desktops get stacked in server racks people. We had the technology to make this poo poo simple 10 years ago.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

dennyk posted:

One of the reasons I like Quicken Loans so much is because they're ahead of the curve when it comes to signatures and documentation. Its 99% digital, including signatures, all executed through their website.

Bank with Capital One 360, mortgage with QL. I'm pretty content with the setup.

Maniaman
Mar 3, 2006
Did I mention our ticket system is a homebrew mess of bash scripts manipulating a mailbox?

(I actually enjoy my job, enjoy the people I work with, and the managers of my department are great to work with. Now, if we could get the infrastructure folks to get out of the 70's we'd be set)

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

That actually sounds kinda cool

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

HFX posted:

The monitors are non adjustable, and thus the bezel starts 6 inches below my eye height. Next I know I'll be working in the basement taking care of a pest problem.

In the short term: Grab some unwanted text books/technical manuals and raise your monitors. Looking down like that will gently caress your neck up over time and can cause serious posture problems.

In the long term: :yotj:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Spazz posted:

In the short term: Grab some unwanted text books/technical manuals and raise your monitors. Looking down like that will gently caress your neck up over time and can cause serious posture problems.

In the long term: :yotj:

I thought that reams of paper were the universally accepted method of monitor raising?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I thought that reams of paper were the universally accepted method of monitor raising?

I use a pair of old SCSI hard drives that I had nothing better to do with.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I nicked a pair of outdated law books from our legal department to prop my monitors up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

Che Delilas posted:

Man, don't leave your job over these idiots. You are not morally compromised if you are informing them of security measures they should be taking and they refuse to take them. You have no control over their network (I assume based on the context), and therefore no responsibility to see it managed correctly. If you were their security guy or network admin, and they were telling you to cut big security corners and you did, that's when you're morally compromised. You're supporting your software (again, I'm assuming here).

Morally compromised with regards to just the entire industry overall, not just one particular client. In my career I'm used to seeing dumb and hypocritical policies, that's not new to me and this client isn't anything different. When I first started this job on Wall St., my co-worker told me never to worry about pleasing people or feeling too bad if you gently caress up. "We're here to make rich people richer" is basically an unofficial motto in our IT department. At the end of the day it does give you more peace of mind, but there is always that internal conflict you have with yourself if your job is worth it or could you be doing something more meaningful.