Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

rudatron posted:

Is your process of debate simply ascribing opinions to people that they themselves have never said?

That's exactly what it is. Effectronica argues with the imaginary people in his head, not with us :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

-Troika- posted:

That's exactly what it is. Effectronica argues with the imaginary people in his head, not with us :ssh:

It's super effective (at providing comedy for everyone else) though

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

blowfish posted:

So if cultures don't need to be cordoned off to continue to exist (a thing that I'd say is correct) then why do we need to go to any effort to prevent other cultures in the same area or somewhere else from ~*~appropriating~*~ things that whichever culture you are interested in does?

And no, I don't care about tweens having an identity crisis if that's the extent of the problem or whatever the current sujet-du-jour is.

Do you really not see the difference between "cultures don't need to be isolated to exist" and "cultures are invulnerable to any possible harm"?

blowfish posted:

It's super effective (at providing comedy for everyone else) though

Ooh, never mind, you're "arguing in bad faith".

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Exclamation Marx posted:

What's with the weird misdirected transphobia

i use a gender-neutral pronoun and now i'm a transphobe? what the hell

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Effectronica posted:

Do you really not see the difference between "cultures don't need to be isolated to exist" and "cultures are invulnerable to any possible harm"?

* do you have the ability to produce a consistent argument (lol no but it never hurts to ask)

* do you think that cultural purity must be preserved (lol yes but it never hurts to ask)

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I don't believe it's possible to take a single example and extrapolate a curve from that, effectronica. In the abstract, I agree that it's possible that my accusations of insecurity conform to whether some other subject conforms to my beliefs, because I am a human being, and confirmation bias is something that affects all humans. I do not, however, (specifically) believe that non-agreement with my own beliefs implies insecurity, or anything like that. That's obvious nonsense. How you came to that conclusion, I do not know. I came to the conclusion I did because I believe it is the best way to explain their behavior and, in general, I believe it to be the best way to explain the behavior I have seen on this subject.

And to the contrary, arguing about the motivations of groups and individuals is a staple of DnD. What is the aims of the whitehouse in saying this or pushing that? Why is this country saying that but doing that? My goal here is not to invalidate, but resolve. To feel part of a group, part of something that will protect your interests when you're not able, to find belonging, these are powerful motivators for any person. I don't want to deny that kind of fulfillment to anyone. What I want to attack is the search for or protection of authenticity, which I have exactly 0% respect for.

As for tolerance, exactly what proof are you looking for? If you want direct causal proof of the ideology of tolerance on inter-group estrangement, or whether they are both created by a hidden factor (or not, and they're just unrelated), that's not something either I or anyone else in the world could provide to you. We cannot see things as they are, if anyone could this discussion (and indeed, all political discussions) would be superfluous - it's be 'proven' and settled. There are, however, suggestive points to consider. First, de facto residential segregation is prevalent everywhere, even in cities where you would expect the population to be progressive (new york for example). In spite of society adopting this norm of tolerance, metrics on racism have barely changed over the last decade, sometimes going backwards slightly. There are 2 possible explanations: the advancement of 'tolerance' has halted, or that this is the end-state of tolerance as practiced. The first is an insufficient explanation, for even if you assume that there is an Other opposing it, isn't the point of 'tolerance' to overcome such barriers? It's not as if it hasn't been applied with zeal, it has. It can go no further. If it is unable to, then that means it is insufficient. We are left with the 2nd conclusion: this is the end-state of tolerance. This environment we have, with the sharp boundaries, is as far it will take us. People will tolerant the Other, but they will always remain foreign.

As for your claims, I have no idea. I am riding the arguments as they appear. I think you want to protect people you see as vulnerable, which is fine. But I'm neither threatening nor advocating any threats to the respect or welfare of any minority. Everyone deserves to live a fulfilling life.

rudatron fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Apr 11, 2015

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

rudatron posted:

I don't believe it's possible to take a single example and extrapolate a curve from that, effectronica. In the abstract, I agree that it's possible that my accusations of insecurity conform to whether some other subject conforms to my beliefs, because I am a human being, and confirmation bias is something that affects all humans. I do not, however, (specifically) believe that non-agreement with my own beliefs implies insecurity, or anything like that. That's obvious nonsense. How you came to that conclusion, I do not know. I came to the conclusion I did because I believe it is the best way to explain their behavior and, in general, I believe it to be the best way to explain the behavior I have seen on this subject.

And to the contrary, arguing about the motivations of groups and individuals is a staple of DnD. What is the aims of the whitehouse in saying this or pushing that? Why is this country saying that but doing that? My goal here is not to invalidate, but resolve. To feel part of a group, part of something that will protect your interests when you're not able, to find belonging, these are powerful motivators for any person. I don't want to deny that kind of fulfillment to anyone. What I want to attack is the search for or protection of authenticity, which I have exactly 0% respect for.

As for tolerance, exactly what proof are you looking for? If you want direct causal proof of the ideology of tolerance on inter-group estrangement, or whether they are both created by a hidden factor (or not, and they're just unrelated), that's not something either I or anyone else in the world could provide to you. We cannot see things as they are, if anyone could this discussion (and indeed, all political discussions) would be superfluous - it's be 'proven' and settled. There are, however, suggestive points to consider. First, de facto residential segregation is prevalent everywhere, even in cities where you would expect the population to be progressive (new york for example). In spite of society adopting this norm of tolerance, metrics on racism have barely changed over the last decade, sometimes going backwards slightly. There are 2 possible explanations: the advancement of 'tolerance' has halted, or that this is the end-state of tolerance as practiced. The first is an insufficient explanation, for even if you assume that there is an Other opposing it, isn't the point of 'tolerance' to overcome such barriers? It's not as if it hasn't been applied with zeal, it has. It can go no further. If it is unable to, then that means it is insufficient. We are left with the 2nd conclusion: this is the end-state of tolerance. This environment we have, with the sharp boundaries, is as far it will take us. People will tolerant the Other, but they will always remain foreign.

As for your claims, I have no idea. I am riding the arguments as they appear. I think you want to protect people you see as vulnerable, which is fine. But I'm neither threatening nor advocating any threats to the respect or welfare of any minority. Everyone deserves to live a fulfilling life.

The basic assumption here is that "tolerance" is something that is universally shared except for cranks, and that it is the primary concern of those who hold it to be important, and that intolerance is always recognizable to the average person, which is necessary for the argument that because discrimination generally, and racism/sexism most specifically, have held on tightly, tolerance must support them.

However, anyone who surveys the American political landscape would know that there is a core of conservatives who are firmly anti-tolerance, a surrounding group that's suspicious of tolerance, and a number of centrists who believe tolerance can go too far. There are also a number of people for whom tolerance is something secondary or tertiary or quaternary, even though they accept is as a good. In addition, most of the discrimination that people in this thread would care about is large-scale- residential segregation's existence is rarely something people confront, and when they do, they are ignorant of the root causes, and all they see is a threat to their well-being. Of course, whether white liberals are driving direct residential segregation is something that could be studied.

But you could study what tolerance means to people and see if it holds up to this definition, but that will not happen, because this is the sort of philosophy that regards liberalism as a monolithic phenomenon and so it will not provoke any such studies, and nobody in the practical end of things is likely to bother, because there are many more things that will attract actual grant money.

Even then, by anecdote, American conservatives generally understand tolerance as a full embrace of the people in question, judging from the things they say and how they react to the word. So they, at least, don't follow this phenomenon you outlined. But in the world of the contemporary left, conservatism is meaningless and it's the center and center-left that are the real evil.

As for the rest of it, I dunno how you can make an argument that depends on such rhetorical sensitivity as this one and then turn around not a second later and say that "people should be allowed to define their own culture" counts as paternalism. Maybe you're a jackass?

Let's make this even longer; there is a lot of discrimination that operates on a day-to-day level, but it's also stuff that most people in this thread would dismiss as meaningless, because it's about as major as a white guy wearing dreads. So there's not much point talking about it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Have you guys ever been to an Obama Fried Chicken?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Effectronica posted:

many, many, many :words:

ok republicans are dumb fucks and the sky is blue, your point being?

Arglebargle III posted:

surely this excess is found only in the moloch of the western-inspired megacity and not among the untouched, clean, healthy, authentic rural areas

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Arglebargle III posted:

I was living in China when president Obama was elected. I did a lot of things there, and saw a lot of sights. All these years later, I live with regret that I never visited a literal Obama fried chicken.

I don't regret reading this benighted thread though.

I didn't get a graduate degree in psychiatry, but with this, I can begin to understand what is wrong with people.

They explain it in such detail

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
You're missing the point: tolerance as a policy is only as good as its results, and this is its results. That people oppose it is no reason to say that it has 'not been done enough', otherwise you may as well take the position that X-cannot-fail-only-be-failed. The same American conservatives that you describe have themselves adopted the rhetoric of tolerance: opposing prayer in school is automatically labelled as 'intolerance' or some such similar nonsense. Why? If the idea of tolerance had not become so widespread as I claim, and it is as you claim, that it is marginalized, why would they bother? Remember, they're trying to appeal to the rest of society. It's because they have my view in their mind, as does everyone else, and as do you. You are being intolerant if you are 'intruding' on this space. You simply believe that this will make racism go away, and from racism's continued existence, conclude it hasn't gone far enough eg- people don't value it highly enough.

But how can I say you have this view as well? You've denied it, and it's rude of me to double-guess that, right? But now we return to the kimono: you said it was bad when it is no longer a signifier of a that culture. Why? Because you're not simply saying that members of a group are allowed to decide what is important to them, you're decided they must also be allowed to declare something as unique to them, ie: impose a constraint on every other group they interact with. When you generalize it, you immediately see the problem: that is a desire to remain distinct from the Other, to create distance. Why? To reduce the chance of harm. This is misguided. Of course, as with all interactions, all relationships between people, harm should be mitigated and malice punished. But resolution is impossible without risk.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

rudatron posted:

You're missing the point: tolerance as a policy is only as good as its results, and this is its results. That people oppose it is no reason to say that it has 'not been done enough', otherwise you may as well take the position that X-cannot-fail-only-be-failed. The same American conservatives that you describe have themselves adopted the rhetoric of tolerance: opposing prayer in school is automatically labelled as 'intolerance' or some such similar nonsense. Why? If the idea of tolerance had not become so widespread as I claim, and it is as you claim, that it is marginalized, why would they bother? Remember, they're trying to appeal to the rest of society. It's because they have my view in their mind, as does everyone else, and as do you. You are being intolerant if you are 'intruding' on this space. You simply believe that this will make racism go away, and from racism's continued existence, conclude it hasn't gone far enough eg- people don't value it highly enough.

But how can I say you have this view as well? You've denied it, and it's rude of me to double-guess that, right? But now we return to the kimono: you said it was bad when it is no longer a signifier of a that culture. Why? Because you're not simply saying that members of a group are allowed to decide what is important to them, you're decided they must also be allowed to declare something as unique to them, ie: impose a constraint on every other group they interact with. When you generalize it, you immediately see the problem: that is a desire to remain distinct from the Other, to create distance. Why? To reduce the chance of harm. This is misguided. Of course, as with all interactions, all relationships between people, harm should be mitigated and malice punished. But resolution is impossible without risk.

Your issue right here is that you have this one big idea, and it is unassailable because you've already twisted everything around to fit into this notion that "tolerance" is the only relevant force acting on American racism. Why not "market-based health care" or "property rights fetishism" or "post-industrial economy"? Surely these can also be made into all-powerful forces that determine everything, yet you've ruled them out. Why?

Of course, I can descend to your level. To put it bluntly, you are not describing an attempt to remain distinct from the Other. The Other is everything that is outside the Self, and the continued existence of human consciousness keeps Self and Other distinct. Your goal is to exterminate humanity and replace with a squirming mindlessness, according to your own words! More relevantly, this applies to religion as well. The existence of Christianity forbids any group from duplicating the entirety of Christianity and calling it something else, for the two to remain distinct entities. This imposes obligations on everyone that is not a Christian. Clearly, we cannot allow people to define what their religious practice consists of, for that constrains other people as well.

In fact, it's hard to think of anything which does not impose constraints on all other people you interact with. If you have an incest taboo, then everyone within and without your culture is obligated to avoid loving their close relatives if they come into contact with you. Clearly, this is a desire to remain distinct from the "Other" and reduce the chance of harm, and this is misguided, because-

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
You haven't actually dealt with the point I put up: If tolerance is not a social norm, then why is everyone trying to appeal to it? Again, you're acting as if tolerance cannot fail, only be failed: if you simply believe it in enough, it will work. Do you ever stop to think what actually motivates opposition, and why you cannot demotivate them? Is your answer simply "they're wrong and dumb"? Because if it is, that's so incredibly simplistic and stupid, but it also defeats the point of advocating it: intrinsic qualities like that cannot be overcome. We are again left with this being the end state.

This however:

Effectronica posted:

The Other is everything that is outside the Self, and the continued existence of human consciousness keeps Self and Other distinct.
is wrong. In the context we are talking about, the Other is cultural. No mindlessness is necessary. The Other is simply something you do not understand. Having shared values and mutual obligations removes the mutual Otherization. My issue with the constraints of tolerance is not that they are constraints at all (as I said, all relationships should be regulated in some way), but that I don't like what they must create. You said I thought " "people should be allowed to define their own culture" counts as paternalism", which is wrong. It is good for people to have this right, to define themselves, but I refuse to grant to them the right to define others. If some religion (called, say, Mormonism) duplicated Christianity in full, then they are already distinct by the people who are a part of them - no regulation of what beliefs or cultural elements should be 'unique' to one or another is necessary. Perhaps the only exception is the name or trademark, but that is a matter of practicality, of whether you are referring to one thing or another. But I do not extend this right to any cultural elements.

Why? That seems harsh, right? But like I said, I have 0% respect for authenticity, the only culture that exists are the ones that currently exist in reality: to create an 'authentic' version to is magic some mythical past that cannot be true, some idealized form that exists only in your loving head. Existence precedes essence, so I do not respect any attempt to keep something 'authentic'. The 'Western' culture we share, effectronica, is not 'authentic'. It is what it is (I'm assuming, though I honestly don't know much about you. Are you actually transsexual, for example? Whatever gender or sexual orientation you are, and whatever you identify as, I want you to know I fully respect that choice).

rudatron fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Apr 12, 2015

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

rudatron posted:

You haven't actually dealt with the point I put up: If tolerance is not a social norm, then why is everyone trying to appeal to it? Again, you're acting as if tolerance cannot fail, only be failed: if you simply believe it in enough, it will work. Do you ever stop to think what actually motivates opposition, and why you cannot demotivate them? Is your answer simply "they're wrong and dumb"? Because if it is, that's so incredibly simplistic and stupid, but it also defeats the point of advocating it: intrinsic qualities like that cannot be overcome. We are again left with this being the end state.

You're attributing everything to tolerance, which is ridiculous, and assuming that it is interpreted as a panacea, which is slightly less ridiculous. Like, you have shown nothing about how it's failed beyond asserting "racism still exists, and tolerance is part of American social norms, so therefore", which is, objectively, on par with JFK conspiracy theories that rely heavily on the grassy knoll.

quote:

This however:
is wrong. In the context we are talking about, the Other is cultural. No mindlessness is necessary. The Other is simply something you do not understand. Having shared values and mutual obligations removes the mutual Otherization. My issue with the constraints of tolerance is not that they are constraints at all (as I said, all relationships should be regulated in some way), but that I don't like what they must create. You said I thought " "people should be allowed to define their own culture" counts as paternalism", which is wrong. It is good for people to have this right, to define themselves, but I refuse to grant to them the right to define others. If some religion (called, say, Mormonism) duplicated Christianity in full, then they are already distinct by the people who are a part of them - no regulation of what beliefs or cultural elements should be 'unique' to one or another is necessary. Perhaps the only exception is the name or trademark, but that is because people communicate with words - it's a matter of practicality whether you are referring to one thing or another. But I do not extend this right to any cultural elements.

Why? That seems harsh, right? But like I said, I have 0% respect for authenticity, the only culture that exists are the ones that currently exist in reality: to create an 'authentic' version to is magic some mythical past that cannot be true, some idealized form that exists only in your loving head. Existence precedes essence, so I do not respect any attempt to keep something 'authentic'. The 'Western' culture we share, effectronica, is not 'authentic'. It is what it is (I'm assuming, though I honestly don't know much about you. Are you actually transsexual, for example? Whatever gender or sexual orientation you are, and whatever you identify as, I want you to know I fully respect that choice).

Mormonism does not duplicate Christianity in full, to begin with. To continue, you are using a distinct definition for the Other, but if I use the original definition, your argument magically becomes an appeal to the death of consciousness. There might be an analogy here to something you've been doing. Let's move on to this obsession with "authenticity", that comes from the lumiferous aether, and should return there as quickly as possible. "Authenticity" is itself often a means of appropriation and cultural control, whether deliberately or accidentally, which is why I haven't said anything about how P. F. Chang's is bad because it's "inauthentic" or anything else. But the issue at hand, avoiding such loaded language, is that you fundamentally do not believe that people should have sovereign power over their own culture, over their identity. Because your ideology offers no room to actually meaningfully condemn the imposition of cultural elements. Oh, sure, theoretically people can define themselves, but there should be no safeguards against such a thing because they impose obligations and there is no room to condemn once it's happened. Existence precedes essence, so therefore once I sweep aside your pathetic, cowardly attempts to frame an objection, I can force anything I want on American culture and it becomes essential to American life. That is, within my power to do so.

Finally, saying "Western culture" is hilarious, because it really lumps together Japan, Australia, the USA, and San Marino into a single culture. This is only a meaningful term if you truly believe what TheImmigrant, fighting his lonely culture war, accuses people of supporting- that American culture does not really exist, and that this extends to all other rich countries.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
I mean, let's cut this down as far as possible- you, rudatron, do not see any way to avoid appropriation without freezing cultures in place, because you believe that the only way for cultures to change is to "appropriate" from one another, which you use to refer to "cultural exchange", which refers to any kind of situation where multiple cultures are in contact and at least one of them changes. Is this correct?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Effectronica posted:

I mean, let's cut this down as far as possible- you, rudatron, do not see any way to avoid appropriation without freezing cultures in place, because you believe that the only way for cultures to change is to "appropriate" from one another, which you use to refer to "cultural exchange", which refers to any kind of situation where multiple cultures are in contact and at least one of them changes. Is this correct?

jesus efftro he's saying that tolerance is insufficient to overcome the perception of the Other between different cultural groups and therefore cultural diffusion, including appropriation, ought to be downright encouraged to create the shared values and belief that allow one to overcome this otherization. Segregation, both self and externally imposed, have a fuckload of inertia behind them, so just letting things be isn't gonna be bridging gaps anytime soon.

Through this lens some of the arguments against cultural appropriation can be seen to be demanding this Otherization to remain. Like, these pieces of culture from minority groups ought to remain unknowable to anyone but the original culture because if they become part of the majority culture the shared values now present can threaten to subsume the minority culture wholesale (or something like that, not really sure how this whole thing goes).

Tolerance is not his central premise, its just his way of pointing out that Otherization ain't gonna overcome itself.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Effectronica, please stop addressing phantoms. If something I have said is unclear to you, please ask for my meaning - I will not think less of you for doing so. You have said many hateful things to me, that you do not like me is clear. I have no such dislike for you. In fact, I actually like you as a person, I enjoy your way of thinking. I am not engaging in this discussion because I want to 'trap' you with words, or embarrass or shame you. You said you think I view this as a conflict: I do not. What I want is resolution, understanding.

I do not believe that cultures may only change through exchange. I do not believe that cultural exchange is the only way for one culture to change another - one culture may violently impose conditions on another, and I believe that is wrong, in general (It can be justified, but is often not. I can count the number of reasons on my hand where it is justified, but usually imposition is driven by a superiority complex. I should only be done when practicality demands, and even then it's still regrettable). I believe that what you and others have called appropriation is cultural exchange with an already existing problem/inequality, that causes harm to the members of minority cultures. In this case, I oppose any attempt at stopping cultural appropriation, because I believe cultures should never be segregated, but fervently push for the existing problems/inequalities to be solved.

My definition of the Other is not distinct. You have accused me of using semantics to avoid debate, but I am not interested in a fight over the meaning of words. I'm only interested in the concepts behind the meanings. 'Other' can refer to your meaning, but it can also refer the social definition. The use of the word 'Other' would be impossible in the social context, were what you say true. But I would not have labored on this point, had you not used this as you did, to summon more phantoms.

I have stated my opposition to imposition - "it is good that people have the right to define their own culture". What you have not addressed is how sovereignty over one culture must necessarily extend to all connecting cultures. If the original culture is unable to remain distinct through normal means ('normal' here meaning 'without imposition') without this inter-culture sovereignty, was it ever really distinct in the first place? If one culture C1 contains elements {A}, and another C2, through appropriation, contains {A,B}, how is C1 destroyed by C2? C1 is already different from C2: No B. If C1, in the presence of C2, must inevitably contain B (and therefore become C2), without there being any imposition of that (it occurs through normal cultural diffusion), why does it matter? Why should I care? Those questions are not rhetorical.

I also asked you another question, which I wanted you to answer: "Do you ever stop to think what actually motivates opposition, and why you cannot demotivate them? Is your answer simply "they're wrong and dumb"?". You cannot simply blame a mysterious evil that is somehow insurmountable for the failures of policy. If the policy cannot deal with the people we have today, then it is worse then garbage - garbage can at least be recycled. You work with the people you have, not with the people you want. The later has a name: Utopianism.

rudatron fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Apr 12, 2015

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I also ask that you do not bring other people's views into your arguments. I have no idea what TheImmigrant's beliefs are here, but I would strongly prefer he explain them himself. TheImmigrant, and indeed other readers, feel free to state your disagreements, or point out contradictions if you see them.

rudatron fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Apr 12, 2015

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

effectronica, serious question
if cultures appropriate stuff from each other because individual people think [other culture]'s poo poo is neat, where is the problem

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

A big flaming stink posted:

jesus efftro he's saying that tolerance is insufficient to overcome the perception of the Other between different cultural groups and therefore cultural diffusion, including appropriation, ought to be downright encouraged to create the shared values and belief that allow one to overcome this otherization. Segregation, both self and externally imposed, have a fuckload of inertia behind them, so just letting things be isn't gonna be bridging gaps anytime soon.

Through this lens some of the arguments against cultural appropriation can be seen to be demanding this Otherization to remain. Like, these pieces of culture from minority groups ought to remain unknowable to anyone but the original culture because if they become part of the majority culture the shared values now present can threaten to subsume the minority culture wholesale (or something like that, not really sure how this whole thing goes).

Tolerance is not his central premise, its just his way of pointing out that Otherization ain't gonna overcome itself.

Everyone that is not you is an Other. The problem is not that people of a certain culture are Other, it is that there is a false sense that they are more an Other than some other people. But the solution of annihilating or reducing cultural distinctions does not address the root cause of this phenomenon. It's like eliminating racism by making everyone have the same racialized physical features (eg skin tone, presence of epicanthic folds, etc.). That is, this actually doesn't change the otherization because the solution is to make everyone have the same values, which still leaves the category of "people who lack these values" as an other (as opposed to Other) that can be safely mistreated. There are also some historical issues with this sort of argument, because if cross-cultural relationships are only possible due to shared values, it's entirely possible that every culture bar perhaps the Sentinelese shares values and so the matter should be resolved, or else the majority of such relationships were false ones.

rudatron posted:

Effectronica, please stop addressing phantoms. If something I have said is unclear to you, please ask for my meaning - I will not think less of you for doing so. You have said many hateful things to me, that you do not like me is clear. I have no such dislike for you. In fact, I actually like you as a person, I enjoy your way of thinking. I am not engaging in this discussion because I want to 'trap' you with words, or embarrass or shame you. You said you think I view this as a conflict: I do not. What I want is resolution, understanding.

I do not believe that cultures may only change through exchange. I do not believe that cultural exchange is the only way for one culture to change another - one culture may violently impose conditions on another, and I believe that is wrong, in general (It can be justified, but is often not. I can count the number of reasons on my hand where it is justified, but usually imposition is driven by a superiority complex. I should only be done when practicality demands, and even then it's still regrettable). I believe that what you and others have called appropriation is cultural exchange with an already existing problem/inequality, that causes harm to the members of minority cultures. In this case, I oppose any attempt at stopping cultural appropriation, because I believe cultures should never be segregated, but fervently push for the existing problems/inequalities to be solved.

My definition of the Other is not distinct. You have accused me of using semantics to avoid debate, but I am not interested in a fight over the meaning of words. I'm only interested in the concepts behind the meanings. 'Other' can refer to your meaning, but it can also refer the social definition. The use of the word 'Other' would be impossible in the social context, were what you say true. But I would not have labored on this point, had you not used this as you did, to summon more phantoms.

I have stated my opposition to imposition - "it is good that people have the right to define their own culture". What you have not addressed is how sovereignty over one culture must necessarily extend to all connecting cultures. If the original culture is unable to remain distinct through normal means ('normal' here meaning 'without imposition') without this inter-culture sovereignty, was it ever really distinct in the first place? If one culture C1 contains elements {A}, and another C2, through appropriation, contains {A,B}, how is C1 destroyed by C2? C1 is already different from C2: No B. If C1, in the presence of C2, must inevitably contain B (and therefore become C2), without there being any imposition of that (it occurs through normal cultural diffusion), why does it matter? Why should I care? Those questions are not rhetorical.

I also asked you another question, which I wanted you to answer: "Do you ever stop to think what actually motivates opposition, and why you cannot demotivate them? Is your answer simply "they're wrong and dumb"?". You cannot simply blame a mysterious evil that is somehow insurmountable for the failures of policy. If the policy cannot deal with the people we have today, then it is worse then garbage - garbage can at least be recycled. You work with the people you have, not with the people you want. The later has a name: Utopianism.

Holy poo poo, you rear end in a top hat, I don't personally dislike you. I don't loving know you from Adam. All I have are your arguments, and they invoke a kind of sloppy thinking that is prevalent among a certain sort of leftist, and which I loathe intensely.

Okay, do you believe that eating Chinese-American food would count as appropriation under my framework? Because that's a much broader definition of "appropriation" than what I have been using, or other people have been using. It's also much narrower than the dictionary definition that other people have been using. But I have defined myself in such a way that I fail to see how your use of sets in an example is meaningful as a response.

The way I am defining appropriation is such that we have, initially, C1 = {A, B, C} and C2 = {D, E, F}, and then C2 appropriates C from C1, resulting in C1 = {A, B} and C2 = {C, D, E, F}. I think everyone can see why this is bad except the people believing that cultures must die. You can also see how if this goes on indefinitely C1 will be completely annihilated, but this is of course simplified.

So CA can be defined as a kind of cultural interaction in which the originating culture loses the ability to practice an aspect of the culture and the borrowing culture gains it, and in shorthand you would also refer to potentially appropriating interactions as CA. You can argue about the prevalence of this or whether any given example is it, but it's clearly distinct from what you have outlined.

Now as for why you should care, why should you care about anything? If you have a reason for caring about injustices (or inequities or whatever), then it would likely apply to this situation, unless it is specifically excluded. But I don't see why it would be excluded, from what you have outlined so far. And for why this is distinct from "cultural interaction under inequality", first of all, I don't define such interactions as inherently appropriating, and second of all, my definitions include inequities that cannot be realistically solved (unless, for example, you have a way to ensure that musical subcultures like goths have equal power to the majority of the culture). You could say that appropriation is almost impossible to happen except under inequality, and I would agree.

But with that in mind, this only demands refraining from this set of interactions on the part of the majority culture. And, using the "plastic shamans" issue, the way to avoid appropriating Lakota spirituality and religion would be to learn the actual religion and practice it. Which is hardly an unreasonable demand, and it is predicated on Lakota religion being completely disrespected and would change if Lakota religion was on-par with other religious practices as far as mainstream respect goes. Anyways, sovereignty always extends to a requirement that everyone respect that sovereignty. If we have sovereignty over our freedom of movement, then people must not kidnap us or block us from traveling where we wish to go. Of course, in law that conflicts with sovereignty over property, but you see the point, right? Any right involves obligations on the part of the whole world to respect it.

So that being said, your semiotics are all messed up. My argument, simply, is that "tolerance" does not signify the concept you think it does in many Americans' minds, that it was not implemented or intended as a panacea to all inequalities, but rather in response to a specific set of circumstances, and that attributing everything wrong to its failure as a policy is like attributing everything to any other root cause. That is the real argument, and my use of "Other" was specifically as an analogy to your argument about tolerance.

Finally, your question is one I want to see you answer, but my answer is that opposition is motivated by many factors, and that you would need to specify a particular case in order to pick out particular ones. And the idea that you can't demotivate opposition is simply false, and I reject it, because I have seen it happen myself.

rudatron posted:

I also ask that you do not bring other people's views into your arguments. I have no idea what TheImmigrant's beliefs are here, but I would strongly prefer he explain them himself. TheImmigrant, and indeed other readers, feel free to state your disagreements, or point out contradictions if you see them.

It was an aside you pompous jackass.

blowfish posted:

effectronica, serious question
if cultures appropriate stuff from each other because individual people think [other culture]'s poo poo is neat, where is the problem

What. Definition. Are. You. Using. For. Appropriation?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Effectronica posted:

Everyone that is not you is an Other. The problem is not that people of a certain culture are Other, it is that there is a false sense that they are more an Other than some other people.

I think that is only true if you're an extremely insular person. Perceiving the entirety of humanity as uniformly alien isn't a common standpoint.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

OwlFancier posted:

I think that is only true if you're an extremely insular person. Perceiving the entirety of humanity as uniformly alien isn't a common standpoint.

True, racism is sadly common, but I dunno why you're taking hold of the idea that people must be "uniformly alien" rather than basically similar. Maybe you think that you can look inside some people's heads, but not others?

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Clearly, the only possible solution to cultural appropriation is strict racial and cultural segregation. Everyone should band together with only people like them and instinctively distrust any outsiders.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

-Troika- posted:

Clearly, the only possible solution to cultural appropriation is strict racial and cultural segregation. Everyone should band together with only people like them and instinctively distrust any outsiders.

Why don't you take your anger out in a more constructive way? I mean, whining is going to change nothing, but if you start assaulting and murdering liberals, maybe you can make a change in the world and you won't feel comically impotent.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Effectronica posted:

Why don't you take your anger out in a more constructive way? I mean, whining is going to change nothing, but if you start assaulting and murdering liberals, maybe you can make a change in the world and you won't feel comically impotent.

You are dumb and bad and should probably stop posting in this thread.

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013

-Troika- posted:

this was funny joke, like 10 years ago

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Effectronica posted:

True, racism is sadly common, but I dunno why you're taking hold of the idea that people must be "uniformly alien" rather than basically similar. Maybe you think that you can look inside some people's heads, but not others?

So far as I can tell, otherness as it is used here is referring to a sense of alienation from a person, they are an Other because you don't identify with them sufficiently to be comfortable around them, which results in a very nagging sense of discomfort that makes it difficult to be entirely rational about them, to recognise that they are just like you and deserve as much consideration as you would want for yourself, even if your senses tell you otherwise. It's difficult to be compassionate towards somebody if you're plagued by a nagging sense that there is something fundamentally wrong about them.

I would venture that it is more common to feel that towards certain other people than it is to feel it towards everybody. If you don't feel that at all then you're fortunate, but still rather uncommon.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

OwlFancier posted:

So far as I can tell, otherness as it is used here is referring to a sense of alienation from a person, they are an Other because you don't identify with them sufficiently to be comfortable around them, which results in a very nagging sense of discomfort that makes it difficult to be entirely rational about them, to recognise that they are just like you and deserve as much consideration as you would want for yourself, even if your senses tell you otherwise.

I would venture that it is more common to feel that towards certain other people than it is to feel it towards everybody. If you don't feel that at all then you're fortunate, but still rather uncommon.

Well, that's why I said racism, and also sexism, homophobia, etc. are sadly common, because this is why people feel that about specific groups and not others, and in the absence of such phenomena, you wouldn't have that alienation at all.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Effectronica posted:

Well, that's why I said racism, and also sexism, homophobia, etc. are sadly common, because this is why people feel that about specific groups and not others, and in the absence of such phenomena, you wouldn't have that alienation at all.

Possibly it works the other way around? That people have an instinctive reaction to things they find difficult to immediately understand, which manifests as a sense of alienation, which then produces things like racism and homophobia.

Essentially, that a thing isn't rational or helpful doesn't mean it isn't a real thing, and I'm not sure that you can disregard the effect it has simply because it's silly. If people weren't naturally prone to alienation that would make things easier certainly, but they do seem to be, so it's going to dictate some of their behavior, which is what is being described above.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

OwlFancier posted:

Possibly it works the other way around? That people have an instinctive reaction to things they find difficult to immediately understand, which manifests as a sense of alienation, which then produces things like racism and homophobia.

Essentially, that a thing isn't rational or helpful doesn't mean it isn't a real thing, and I'm not sure that you can disregard the effect it has simply because it's silly. If people weren't naturally prone to alienation that would make things easier certainly, but they do seem to be, so it's going to dictate some of their behavior, which is what is being described above.

First of all, whatever instinct there is is pretty malleable, since categories as broad as "white" and "male" and "straight" are ones that people accept wholeheartedly rather than subdividing them. This would be odd if we really were prone to alienating ourselves, since you'd think broad categories like those would not last and break down further, and yet they persist.

Second of all, the argument was that by merging cultures you could fix this problem, which would not be true if people really were prone to alienating themselves, because this unity would break down.

Third of all, we have documentation of the rise of race as an entity, and it doesn't really work that way. People didn't develop race as a category because Native Americans were unfathomable, it only developed as the exploitation of the Americas unfolded and unfathomability progressed alongside it.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Effectronica posted:

What. Definition. Are. You. Using. For. Appropriation?

people copying things from cultures that they do not belong to (both in accurate or in really dumb superficial ways) and then possibly making them part of their culture

why should "culture a does things that only culture b used to do" lead to "culture b cannot do them anymore" unless culture b are literal hipster stereotypes who only do things that are underground which you probably haven't heard about

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

blowfish posted:

people start copying things from cultures that they do not belong to

why should "culture a does things that only culture b used to do" lead to "culture b cannot do them anymore" unless culture b are literal hipster stereotypes who only do things that are underground which you probably haven't heard about

Well, then, I can say that it doesn't! Only certain interactions do this. Now, did you want to ask how an interaction can prevent someone from performing a cultural practice?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

feel free to give an example, preferably involving kimonos :v:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Effectronica posted:

First of all, whatever instinct there is is pretty malleable, since categories as broad as "white" and "male" and "straight" are ones that people accept wholeheartedly rather than subdividing them. This would be odd if we really were prone to alienating ourselves, since you'd think broad categories like those would not last and break down further, and yet they persist.

Second of all, the argument was that by merging cultures you could fix this problem, which would not be true if people really were prone to alienating themselves, because this unity would break down.

Third of all, we have documentation of the rise of race as an entity, and it doesn't really work that way. People didn't develop race as a category because Native Americans were unfathomable, it only developed as the exploitation of the Americas unfolded and unfathomability progressed alongside it.

At the risk of going full on :biotruths: I would venture that humans aren't very good at dealing with large groups of people properly. We work better in smaller groups, families, social circles, friend groups, that sort of thing. That is where you will find more thorough understanding between people. So I would argue that there is something of a natural limit to human sociability, we prefer smaller groups and have trouble extending that compassion indefinitely. This is where I would argue the sense of natural alienation comes in. We tend to establish fairly small, homogenous circles are naturally put off by things outside them.

Now, it's also likely true that the precise nature of our segregation is socially constructed, often overtly so, with people picking up on established ideas like race and gender and sexuality as lines to divide by, but some of it arguably is also less overt, we can more easily interpret and empathise with things we are immersed in, because we have more commonalities with people who grew up where we grew up, were taught the same things we were taught, and the like. The existence of distinct cultures is a natural breeding ground for alienation. If someone speaks a different language, has different social conventions, different religious affiliations and such, being alienated and unsettled by this is a pretty understandable reaction. Because we rely on our knowledge of social rules in order to function, if you feel like you don't know any of the social rules (or someone else is breaking yours) then you're going to feel isolated or offended, quite naturally.

I think that is the reason it is being suggested that cultural integration would be helpful, because without that springboard it becomes less probable that people will experience alienation towards one another.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

blowfish posted:

feel free to give an example, preferably involving kimonos :v:

So let's say you have a ritual with a particular meaning, where people exchange gifts on a particular day to show generosity and love for one another. Now let's say that this ritual is practiced by a particular group within a broader culture, and the broader culture starts exchanging gifts on that day to show off how great consumption and spending money are, but with the same trappings of the original ritual- that is, they practice the basic ritual but with the meaning completely changed. Now, assuming that the subgroup isn't segregated completely, their ability to practice this ritual is minimal because people from the outside culture will engage in their version of the ritual and the people in the subgroup will be reciprocating under the new meaning, and the broader culture will be attempting to enculture everyone with its meaning. In other words, except among members of the subgroup that withdraw from the broader society, they will be unable to maintain the old meaning because the new meaning is more pervasive and everyone they interact with will judge their actions under this meaning.

edit: Who says white people don't have culture?

OwlFancier posted:

At the risk of going full on :biotruths: I would venture that humans aren't very good at dealing with large groups of people properly. We work better in smaller groups, families, social circles, friend groups, that sort of thing. That is where you will find more thorough understanding between people. So I would argue that there is something of a natural limit to human sociability, we prefer smaller groups and have trouble extending that compassion indefinitely. This is where I would argue the sense of natural alienation comes in. We tend to establish fairly small, homogenous circles are naturally put off by things outside them.

Now, it's also likely true that the precise nature of our segregation is socially constructed, often overtly so, with people picking up on established ideas like race and gender and sexuality as lines to divide by, but some of it arguably is also less overt, we can more easily interpret and empathise with things we are immersed in, because we have more commonalities with people who grew up where we grew up, were taught the same things we were taught, and the like. The existence of distinct cultures is a natural breeding ground for alienation. If someone speaks a different language, has different social conventions, different religious affiliations and such, being alienated and unsettled by this is a pretty understandable reaction. Because we rely on our knowledge of social rules in order to function, if you feel like you don't know any of the social rules (or someone else is breaking yours) then you're going to feel isolated or offended, quite naturally.

I think that is the reason it is being suggested that cultural integration would be helpful, because without that springboard it becomes less probable that people will experience alienation towards one another.

Alternatively, people build up a picture of how other people think and this gets more accurate as they spend time with them, and alienation is when they assume that they are unable to build up such a picture or that it's inaccurate. Furthermore, you can't actually integrate cultures to such a degree because they will split apart again, and these differences would still come into play.

Effectronica fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 12, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Effectronica posted:

So let's say you have a ritual with a particular meaning, where people exchange gifts on a particular day to show generosity and love for one another. Now let's say that this ritual is practiced by a particular group within a broader culture, and the broader culture starts exchanging gifts on that day to show off how great consumption and spending money are, but with the same trappings of the original ritual- that is, they practice the basic ritual but with the meaning completely changed. Now, assuming that the subgroup isn't segregated completely, their ability to practice this ritual is minimal because people from the outside culture will engage in their version of the ritual and the people in the subgroup will be reciprocating under the new meaning, and the broader culture will be attempting to enculture everyone with its meaning. In other words, except among members of the subgroup that withdraw from society, they will be unable to maintain the old meaning because the new meaning is more pervasive and everyone they interact with will judge their actions under this meaning.

In that example, you could simply tell people the meaning of why you elect to do it, in either case. If they are people whose opinion matters to you, one would assume they would understand your meaning.

Specifically also, if the meaning important to you is generosity, the other party isn't required to understand, really. You can fulfil the importance of the ritual simply by doing it.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

OwlFancier posted:

In that example, you could simply tell people the meaning of why you elect to do it, in either case. If they are people whose opinion matters to you, one would assume they would understand your meaning.

Specifically also, if the meaning important to you is generosity, the other party isn't required to understand, really. You can fulfil the importance of the ritual simply by doing it.

In order to participate in the broader culture, you'll have to operate under its meaning of the more expensive the better. Operating under the subcultural meaning would mean being known as a lovely gift-giver, because you don't care about what's important- spending lots of money. Furthermore, interactions with people from outside the group have to operate against the belief that this ritual is about spending, and children will be encultured with the idea that the ritual is about spending. People won't be able to be initiated in the ritual because they will have the underlying belief that it's about something else, unless they reject the original culture. Which is why I said that they would have to be segregated to preserve the ritual. But if the majority culture adopted it meaning and all, or if it differentiated its version from the original ritual, then there wouldn't be any of these problems.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Effectronica posted:

In order to participate in the broader culture, you'll have to operate under its meaning of the more expensive the better. Operating under the subcultural meaning would mean being known as a lovely gift-giver, because you don't care about what's important- spending lots of money. Furthermore, interactions with people from outside the group have to operate against the belief that this ritual is about spending, and children will be encultured with the idea that the ritual is about spending. People won't be able to be initiated in the ritual because they will have the underlying belief that it's about something else, unless they reject the original culture. Which is why I said that they would have to be segregated to preserve the ritual. But if the majority culture adopted it meaning and all, or if it differentiated its version from the original ritual, then there wouldn't be any of these problems.

That assumes that everybody is incapable of comprehending the idea that things can mean different things to different people.

Which is a bit weird, to be honest. I do this regularly, lots of things have different meanings to me than they do to others, and those I care for understand that. It's not really segregated, the two meanings can coexist together, and even if someone rejects the meaning I ascribe to things, that doesn't prevent me from doing it anyway.

That a thing is superficially similar doesn't prevent people from understanding that it can mean something else. It might not make the difference immediately apparent but humans aren't so irrevocably thick that they can't comprehend the idea of two similar looking things being different.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Apr 12, 2015

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

OwlFancier posted:

That assumes that everybody is incapable of comprehending the idea that things can mean different things to different people.

Which is a bit weird, to be honest. I do this regularly, lots of things have different meanings to me than they do to others, and those I care for understand that. It's not really segregated, the two meanings can coexist together, and even if someone rejects the meaning I ascribe to things, that doesn't prevent me from doing it anyway.

That a thing is superficially similar doesn't prevent people from understanding that it can mean something else. It might not make the difference immediately apparent but humans aren't so irrevocably thick that they can't comprehend the idea of two similar looking things being different.

The point is that they're not superficially similar. They're utterly identical except that one is about showing that you care about somebody and the other is about spending as much money as possible. In order to engage with the outer culture without being a pariah, the subculture has to adopt the outer culture's practice, and can only maintain it among themselves and those people who adopt the culture. Except that their children will grow up with the practices of the outer culture being taught to them as well, meaning that they will at best view it as equally about love and money, and they themselves will have to live in an environment where they are constantly told what the meaning of the ritual is. Preserving the meaning requires withdrawal from the broader society, so that they can prevent this enculturation from happening. Which is a bad thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Effectronica posted:

The point is that they're not superficially similar. They're utterly identical except that one is about showing that you care about somebody and the other is about spending as much money as possible. In order to engage with the outer culture without being a pariah, the subculture has to adopt the outer culture's practice, and can only maintain it among themselves and those people who adopt the culture. Except that their children will grow up with the practices of the outer culture being taught to them as well, meaning that they will at best view it as equally about love and money, and they themselves will have to live in an environment where they are constantly told what the meaning of the ritual is. Preserving the meaning requires withdrawal from the broader society, so that they can prevent this enculturation from happening. Which is a bad thing.

It is a bad thing in so much as it causes distress to people, but the loss of the original meaning itself is neither good nor bad, as information has no inherent value.

I can understand that perhaps those who have particular difficulty following their preferred practices without the approval of wider society may find it upsetting, but that can be alleviated by a more internally derived sense of self. You are what you choose to be, not what others think you are.

In your proposed scenario, if the original belief is eroded out of existence, then aside from the members of the original generation of people who may have trouble with a lack of consistency between their personal preferences and the preferences of wider society, there is very little bad occuring. The children grow up with the understanding of both meanings, and will necessarily have to make a choice as to which they prefer, in either case internalizing the result so they shouldn't have difficulty practicing as they see fit.

They would have had to live in a society anyway where they are being told the meaning of the ritual because that is the nature of society, we are told by others what things mean, you remain free to accept or reject that information at your leisure.

• Locked thread