Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 54 minutes!
There's been zero mention in the fluff of the Ultramarines or Sons of Horus having Chaplains at all, so it may have been an innovation that was simply not present in all legions, like how Librarians seem to have been absent from many.

Or it could be that all legions had chaplains but the fluff simply doesn't talk about them. I think the only legions so far explicitly described as having chaplains are the Word Bearers, Blood Angels, Emperor's Children, Salamanders, White Scars, and the Space Wolf Rune Priests and Iron Hand Iron Fathers.

I'd imagine that when Guilliman drew up the Codex Astartes he made a bunch of those quirks official like how techmarines and chaplains paint their armor save the non-compliant chapters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
I think every Legion that had Librarians received Chaplains when the Edict of Nikaea came down. Ultramarines, Raven Guard, and Imperial Fists had Librarians, so I'd assume that some or all of them got Chaplains as well. None of those three seem particularly likely to tolerate visiting Word Bearers chaplains like some of the others did.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Could Chaplains be considered soviet political officers of soviet subs? Making sure that librarians and psykers adhered to the Edict of Nikea while still maintaining a compliment of psykers after the Emps banned them?

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
[quote="PRESIDENT GOKU" post=""443622421"]the Emps[/quote]

If some magical book draws you into the Warhammer 40k universe you are so dead.

Zephyrine fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Apr 4, 2015

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Just like The Big E :colbert:

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Just like The Big E :colbert:

He lives. I know he does because in Dawn of War 2 you can use beacon thingys to make your units invulnerable with the power of the emperor which he wouldn't have been able to do if he was dead.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 54 minutes!

Zephyrine posted:

He lives. I know he does because in Dawn of War 2 you can use beacon thingys to make your units invulnerable with the power of the emperor which he wouldn't have been able to do if he was dead.

Void shields are a hell of a thing when hidden inside imperial shrines, aren't they?

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

EyeRChris posted:

What are some good series to get into Warhammer Fantasy with?

I've mentioned this way back in this thread, but the Blackhearts series is pretty good.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I liked the Mathias Thulemen Witchhunter series which is a like a shitter Eisenhorn

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Finally got back into reading Night Lords again. Man, Talos's flashback to Nostramo and the parade. That's gotta be rough.

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
He can't care

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I just found it interesting, that's all. I love how ADB has sprinkled bits of humanity poking out of Talos and co. from time to time. It lets you empathize with them, only to get a cold smack of reality whenever they do something deplorable, and then you are reminded: these are serial killers who turned their back on humanity for humanity's sake, and it left them bitter old assholes.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Cythereal posted:

Void shields are a hell of a thing when hidden inside imperial shrines, aren't they?

I can't hear you! lalala-emperor-lives-lalal

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
I'm trying to find the 40k/ASOIAF crossover this forums produced a while back, but have been unsuccessful. Anyone remember what I'm talking about, and if so, where I can find it?

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Arcsquad12 posted:

I just found it interesting, that's all. I love how ADB has sprinkled bits of humanity poking out of Talos and co. from time to time. It lets you empathize with them, only to get a cold smack of reality whenever they do something deplorable, and then you are reminded: these are serial killers who turned their back on humanity for humanity's sake, and it left them bitter old assholes.

That is about as much as I can empathize until we hit the "hurr hurr, skinning pits, hurr hurr" parts.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

sniper4625 posted:

I'm trying to find the 40k/ASOIAF crossover this forums produced a while back, but have been unsuccessful. Anyone remember what I'm talking about, and if so, where I can find it?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39789887/asoiaf-40k.doc

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Fried Chicken posted:

So we've joked about how Event Horizon is the closest to a 40k movie we will ever get, but I'd like to tentatively add another movie to that list. Check out the new trailer for Mad Max, it is old school Chaos as gently caress
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hEJnMQG9ev8&feature=youtu.be

Funnily enough there is another film with strange parralels to 40K and its by the Disney corporation, another company known for shady business practices. Anyone remember Black Hole? Its the one with robots.

Connections include a space ship inspired by Gothic architecture, a group of humans lobotomised into robotic slaves, a villain using a tear in time and space to travel great distance, that villain ending up in a hellish other dimension and merged with a large killing machine.

It also has the late Ernest Borgnine dangling on some string, and a humorous robot sidekick, so you know its good :getin:

Also I see they've reissued the frankly very dull Deathwatch novel by fanfavourite C.S. Goto, Warrior Brood as an ebook. For £6.99 which I'm pretty sure is how much it cost for a paperback when it was new. While its great to see GW finally realising their old seams still have ore and thus keeping older books in circulation, I have to wonder who exactly was clamouring for this "classic"? Hell I gave my copy away I cared so little for it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Isn't Warrior Brood the one with the backflipping terminators and the venomthropes floating away with squealing Space Marines?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

So i'm going away for a few days next week. I was thinking of picking up the new Mechanicum audiobook to wile away a few long car journeys. Is it any good?

I have read it, I read it shortly after it came out. I have absolutely no recollection of anything that happens in it or whether it's any good or not. Which may be a bad sign.

So, worth getting?

Edit: So after Mechanicum, that just leaves Nemesis of the full length novels without a audiobook release right? I wonder if they'll do it for the sake of completeness.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Apr 9, 2015

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Arcsquad12 posted:

Isn't Warrior Brood the one with the backflipping terminators and the venomthropes floating away with squealing Space Marines?

The latter definitely but I'm drawing a blank on the back flipping though that isn't surprising given how dull it was, I think the back flipping terminators were in the Eldar* one he did, The only characters I remember from Warrior Brood was an incredibly obnoxious Interrogator, a wheel chaired bound Inquisitor, a Space Marine Librarian from the Mantis something chapter and a Crimson Fist, I don't think they were in Terminator armour but could be wrong.

*Yes the one with the Eldar Paedophile.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I think that that was the series where the one Eldar shining spear is sorta kinda in love with the one Marine or something. Also Dark Eldar worshipping Slaanesh or something. It has been a while since I read them. They were very bad.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

I just read the scene where a young Corax hands a helmet to a young girl his own age and there's this little spark.

Then later on because of his modifications he grows to a full adult while she still remains a child. He pats her on the head reassuringly.

The whole thing is just heartbreaking

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Just finished Wrath of Iron. Such grim, very dark, wow. Now I'm reading Legion of the Damned and while I'm loving the action the author's voice is just all over the place. Super distracting.

CaptainAttitude
May 31, 2003

This haircut was a good idea.
I should read Wrath of Iron, but right now I'm reading the Eye of Terror. It's very different than what I expected it to be. Would a Rogue Trader be able fly around the Eye and just not get his poo poo wrecked at the first opportunity? I'm entertained but it's so different from modern 40k books. It was the same with Space Marine. I really liked Ian Watsons writing style, but some weird poo poo goes down in that book. I'm restarting the Inquisition Wars trilogy after Eye of Terror, also written by Ian Watson. I read Draco a few years ago but didn't have the sequels then, but now I do. Anything I should keep me eye open for?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Keep in mind just how drat big the Eye of Terror is. There are multiple Chaos empires within the region. It's certainly possible to fly around it without instantly being attacked, but it'd still be suicidal considering all of reality is constantly shifting around you.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

A classic of Western literature that will still be being read in 100 years.

I read every word of it & enjoyed it, too

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

CaptainAttitude posted:

I should read Wrath of Iron, but right now I'm reading the Eye of Terror. It's very different than what I expected it to be. Would a Rogue Trader be able fly around the Eye and just not get his poo poo wrecked at the first opportunity? I'm entertained but it's so different from modern 40k books. It was the same with Space Marine. I really liked Ian Watsons writing style, but some weird poo poo goes down in that book. I'm restarting the Inquisition Wars trilogy after Eye of Terror, also written by Ian Watson. I read Draco a few years ago but didn't have the sequels then, but now I do. Anything I should keep me eye open for?

You're in for a treat. The Inquisition Wars is Watson at his Watsonist as far as 40k goes. Do you have the original ones or the one where they've gotten rid of the squat? If you do, just keep that in mind, it explains why the Admech guy is so out of character. Also, the dancing terminator-armour-clad assassin lord is pretty great. You could absolutely be a Rogue Trader in the Eye of Terror, it's just that warp storms etc. become more of an issue. People(ish) are still going to need food and other sundries, and you're just the being to provide them. Sure, more likely than not you'll have to keep an eye out for betrayals, but really when isn't that the case? As a bonus, some of the stuff in the EoT is pretty choice. It's a good place to get all kinds of exotic weapons and substances in general. You might not need the heart of a Bloodthirster with Tzeentch's sigil carved on it, but somebody does.

CaptainAttitude
May 31, 2003

Arcsquad12 posted:

Keep in mind just how drat big the Eye of Terror is. There are multiple Chaos empires within the region. It's certainly possible to fly around it without instantly being attacked, but it'd still be suicidal considering all of reality is constantly shifting around you.

Yeah, you're right, I was mixing the Eye with the full on Warp. I didn't really think it through before I posted that. I mean entire civilizations exist in the Eye after all. Isn't that where the Blood Pact guys come from?

CaptainAttitude
May 31, 2003

"Do you have the original ones or the one where they've gotten rid of the [spoiler posted:

squat?[/spoiler]

They're the originals, he'll be there. Got them at a used book store. Found some good, old non-hams sci-fi books there, too. It's a good store.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

CaptainAttitude posted:

Yeah, you're right, I was mixing the Eye with the full on Warp. I didn't really think it through before I posted that. I mean entire civilizations exist in the Eye after all. Isn't that where the Blood Pact guys come from?

Originally, I believe, but the Blood Pact had turned the Sabbat Worlds into their base of operations almost a hundred years before the Sabbat Crusade began.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Was walking through Chapters today, and I saw that Black Library has done another reissue of First and Only, with a new cover. Are they planning on rereleasing the other early Ghosts books as well?

Another thing I noticed was that the back cover blurb now mentions the Astra Militarum instead of Imperial Guard, and now the Sabbat Worlds have been Chaos occupied for a thousand years rather than a hundred. Is that a typo on their part, or am I misremembering? Because I could have sworn it was mentioned that the Sabbat Crusade was only launched after it became clear that the cluster was no longer under Imperial control, and only after a few decades had passed.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
IIRC they upped the length of time it had been out of Imperial control around mid-way through the series when Slaydo's legacy came to the forefront. He had made it a "life's ambition" to liberate the cluster.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Also GW couldn't trademark 'Imperial Guard' so they're the 'Astra Militarum' now.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So they went from easily identifiable Imperial Guard to pig latin "Space Army." Right, because anyone who is looking up the 40K Imperial Guard on google is going to confuse them for the Emperor's Guards from Star Wars or the Napoleonic Guard.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
They're still referred to as "Imperial Guard" and "Imperial Guardsmen" even in the codex. They use it about as often as "Adeptus Astartes" is used instead of "Space Marine" so it's not a complete replacement of it.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Was someone selling soldier figurines as Imperial Guard, got sued by GW, and won because it's too generic or something?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Shroud posted:

Was someone selling soldier figurines as Imperial Guard, got sued by GW, and won because it's too generic or something?

I think the fallout from the "Space Marines" incident made them realize that they can't control their trademarks if they aren't in faux Latin.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Basically that as far as I can tell. They did the same with the paints a while back, and they're all co-incidentally slightly different and lower quality. Again.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

berzerkmonkey posted:

I think the fallout from the "Space Marines" incident made them realize that they can't control their trademarks if they aren't in faux Latin.

Ok, wait, there was a "Space Marines" incident too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Shroud posted:

Ok, wait, there was a "Space Marines" incident too?
Where have you been man? https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2013/02/trademark-bully-thwarted-spots-space-marine-back-online