Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Light Gun Man posted:

There is a lot of really cool semi-subtle "focusing" of things going on that imply his hearing and whatnot quite well.

Yeah, that was another thing I really liked about how they're doing his "powers". Just keeping it simple by doing stuff like defocusing things around the object/person instead of using FX heavy or CGI visuals every time. I'm only 8 episodes in so far but at this point I think there's only been one instance of explicitly being shown Matt's 'vision' as he sees it. And I do think the way they made it look was pretty cool, but I could see it getting a bit played out if they used that every time they wanted to show him seeing something important or noticing some kind of little detail. It's kind of a refreshing approach after so many years of the standard super hero thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

I am on episode 6 of Daredevil and it is really good when it is not about Matt, but when Matt does anything or talks it is garbage. Such a wet wipe of a character without any motivation. Even fights do nothing to open him up and they don't utilize the much-advertised mature rating at all. Maybe they are impressive if you put them against other TV shows or the loving Arrow :laffo:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

fatherboxx posted:

they don't utilize the much-advertised mature rating at all.

seriously? if anything my one big complaint about the show is that it's a little too gory. six and a half episodes in and we've had multiple compound fractures, a dude impaling himself through the face, a guy getting one of his eyes almost clawed out with a fingernail, a guy getting his head bashed in with a bowling ball, someone getting his head smashed into a bloody pulp by a car door, samurai sword dismemberment, orbital socket torture, graphic throat slitting, and probably some other stuff i'm forgetting.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The Mentalizer posted:

I'm also gonna chime in and say that D'onofrio makes an excellent Fisk. Even without being quite as massive as comics Fisk he still seems to project a larger than life stature. He also possesses the kind of quietly menacing presence that makes him feel like an extremely dangerous individual. He actually reminds me of Gus in Breaking Bad a little bit, minus the kindly restauranteur act.

I unambiguously love him in the role, but it is a totally different take on the character than I was expecting, because I don't really find him menacing at all, even after *that* scene. He's really goony and openly insecure, it never feels like he's in any kind of control whatsoever.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

seriously? if anything my one big complaint about the show is that it's a little too gory. six and a half episodes in and we've had multiple compound fractures, a dude impaling himself through the face, a guy getting one of his eyes almost clawed out with a fingernail, a guy getting his head bashed in with a bowling ball, someone getting his head smashed into a bloody pulp by a car door, samurai sword dismemberment, orbital socket torture, graphic throat slitting, and probably some other stuff i'm forgetting.

It is always when someone else does stuff, not when Matt fights another pack of thugs or tortures a guy - with him it suddenly becomes clean and fancy.
The 360 fight around a taxi was good, I hope there are more like that in the latter episodes.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

fatherboxx posted:

It is always when someone else does stuff, not when Matt fights another pack of thugs or tortures a guy - with him it suddenly becomes clean and fancy.

loving what? Did you miss all the broken bones and the part where he loving stabs a guy in the eye?

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Hakkesshu posted:

I unambiguously love him in the role, but it is a totally different take on the character than I was expecting, because I don't really find him menacing at all, even after *that* scene. He's really goony and openly insecure, it never feels like he's in any kind of control whatsoever.

It's because he isn't quite Kingpin yet I think. You can see the beginnings of the really menacing character, but he basically fully becomes Kingpin in the Good Samaritan speech in the last episode.

Hakkesshu posted:

loving what? Did you miss all the broken bones and the part where he loving stabs a guy in the eye?

I'm not really sure what show this guy watched.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I too think that Daredevil is too nice

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

StumblyWumbly posted:

I too think that Daredevil is too nice

When he doesn't have the mask on, sure. He's nice. When it's on though, the guy is loving brutal.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

teagone posted:

When he doesn't have the mask on, sure. He's nice. When it's on though, the guy is loving brutal.

i actually like that the show's not afraid to show Matt as being a dick. he's very lovely to Night Nurse. it makes how genuinely nice Foggy is stand out even more.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I can get behind the opinion that Matt is kind of the weakest character on the show, mostly because his motivations are constantly stated rather than shown. I don't get the sense he really believes his own convictions, but maybe that's the point? They also do not do much with his lawyer persona, at least so far, I still have like 4 episodes to go.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
It is understandable to feel that say, Fisk, or Foggy were better developed overall as characters, but to say that Matt wasn't violent enough kind of just shows that you haven't actually been paying attention to the show you claim to have seen. He is quiet literally the most violent super hero we have seen outside of an R rated film by far. In almost every episode he breaks someone's limb and/or physically tortures someone for information. There was ONE episode where he had someone help him with torture, and that was one of the first couple of eps, and it was more him asking advice, not having them do it for him.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm super giddy at the Iron Fist easter eggs. I was worried that show might not get a lot of attention but a lot of things were built up to it.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Codependent Poster posted:

I'm super giddy at the Iron Fist easter eggs. I was worried that show might not get a lot of attention but a lot of things were built up to it.

Yeah, this show has gotten me a excited about Iron Fist now when before I wasn't sure it'd work.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
(spoilers for ep 7, i'm up to 1x08) Yeah, the Stick episode surprised me with how far into the Hand they were willing to go. I mean, the kid Stick killed was straight up the host for the Beast, right?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

(spoilers for ep 7, i'm up to 1x08) Yeah, the Stick episode surprised me with how far into the Hand they were willing to go. I mean, the kid Stick killed was straight up the host for the Beast, right?

that's exactly what i took from it.

also. that was straight up my favorite portrayal of Stick in any medium

Hakkesshu posted:

approporiately enough, his version of Fisk feels a lot like his character in Full Metal Jacket: an awkward dork nursing a bottomless well of rage and violence.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 12, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I wish they would spend less time on Foggy and Karen's Generic Sitcom Adventures.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Aphrodite posted:

I wish they would spend less time on Foggy

You are bad and wrong, turn in your comic nerd card

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I've only watch the first six so far, but Karen and Foggy are one of my favorite parts. And I would not have believed that going in. Credit the actors for being so likable and the writing for giving them something to do other that being sidekicks and supporting characters only.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

WarLocke posted:

You are bad and wrong, turn in your comic nerd card

Please, I wouldn't be caught dead with one of those.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

I've noticed a couple times Matt will react to things, like a door knocking, a second before you hear it. It's a nice touch.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
I was really excited for Vincent D'Onofrio playing Kingpin going into this, but he is even better playing the role then I thought he would. In a show with pretty much perfect casting across the board, he nails the Kingpin presence and every little subtle tick that drives him as well.

What a great show. I am almost disappointed that we have to get through 3 more other hero seasons and one Defenders season before we get a proper Daredevil season two.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I think they nailed every character. Even the smaller roles like Melvin Potter and Turk. But the leads are all especially outstanding.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm on the finale and wow, this is amazing.

I loved how they straight up showed Nobu was a Hand Ninja, and Mardipoor has been hinted at a bunch of times.

What are the Iron Fist references?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

I'm on the finale and wow, this is amazing.

I loved how they straight up showed Nobu was a Hand Ninja, and Mardipoor has been hinted at a bunch of times.

What are the Iron Fist references?

The heroin the Chinese make is stamped with the same symbol on Davos' chest and is called Steel Serpent.

And it's heavily implied that Gao is from K'un-L'un and is probably Madame Crane.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

The heroin the Chinese make is stamped with the same symbol on Davos' chest and is called Steel Serpent.

And it's heavily implied that Gao is from K'un-L'un and is probably Madame Crane.

Crane Mother from Kun Zi.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Hakkesshu posted:

I totally agree with you on all of that. I'm not really sure what I was expecting TV Fisk to be like, but I really do like what we got. I do feel like the lack of control adds to the menace of the character, since it seems like it wouldn't really take all that much to push him over the line. Combine that with his quiet demeanor and immense personal secrecy and you're not gonna know what it is that will set him off until it's too late and he's crushing your head in a car door. Mikeraskol had a good point in that we're seeing a kind of proto-kingpin; all of the elements are there for the character that we're expecting and we're slowly seeing him emerge from Fisk as the series goes on.

Heathen posted:

Crane Mother from Kun Zi.

So if that really is Crane Mother, does that mean they'll potentially be using Immortal Iron Fist as the setup/framework for his series? I haven't really seen any kind of info about that one, so forgive me if it's something that's been answered before.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

They haven't said anything about Iron Fist. I imagine that we'll see some casting soon since I can't imagine a Luke Cage series without Danny Rand showing up. But if they're going to pull inspiration, the Fraction/Brubaker run is the absolute best thing to use.

I hope they go balls to the walls mystic kung fu with it and have Iron Fist take on swarms of ninjas and a dragon and otherworldly fighters.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

They haven't said anything about Iron Fist. I imagine that we'll see some casting soon since I can't imagine a Luke Cage series without Danny Rand showing up. But if they're going to pull inspiration, the Fraction/Brubaker run is the absolute best thing to use.

I hope they go balls to the walls mystic kung fu with it and have Iron Fist take on swarms of ninjas and a dragon and otherworldly fighters.

I will consider Iron First at least a partial disappointment if it doesn't feature Fat Cobra demanding he be brought his wenches of waiting.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The Mentalizer posted:

I totally agree with you on all of that. I'm not really sure what I was expecting TV Fisk to be like, but I really do like what we got. I do feel like the lack of control adds to the menace of the character, since it seems like it wouldn't really take all that much to push him over the line. Combine that with his quiet demeanor and immense personal secrecy and you're not gonna know what it is that will set him off until it's too late and he's crushing your head in a car door. Mikeraskol had a good point in that we're seeing a kind of proto-kingpin; all of the elements are there for the character that we're expecting and we're slowly seeing him emerge from Fisk as the series goes on.

That scene with him and Madame Gao was one of my favourites. He looked straight up terrified.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
End of Season Daredevil spoilers

Yeah, the less you think about this being the actual Kingpin, and more of a Kingpin origin story the more sense it makes to me anyway. By the end of the series he finally accepts that he is not a good guy, and is pure evil.

Throughout the series his suits and clothing were getting lighter and lighter until the last scene where he is in jail and wearing nothing but white seething at the wall. Which is closer to his iconic look

When he inevitably gets out, he is going to actually be the Kingpin, and not Wilson Fisk.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

As dumb as my pre-occupation with this idea is, I think if Danny Rand doesn't at least one-inch punch a rushing locomotive to pieces, I'll be disappointed.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
Daredevil was fantastic, im probably going to watch it again at a slower pace in a month or two.

Watching it has reminded me how much I love Daredevil and I ordered the Daredevil ultimate collection 1 (the start of the BMB run). From what I remember the whole run from there until they finish is great but its been a while. Is there anything really bad in the ultimate collections / Is there anything I would miss by ordering only those?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

As someone who's first exposure to Daredevil was marathoning through the three Ultimate Collection volumes over the past two days, I can tell you, they are pretty amazing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Klungar posted:

As someone who's first exposure to Daredevil was marathoning through the three Ultimate Collection volumes over the past two days, I can tell you, they are pretty amazing.

You need to read the Miller stuff, especially Born Again.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!
Goddamn, the lettering on the door (underneath the handwritten Nelson and Murdock sign) says Van Lunt Real Estate.

It's the little things, you know?

E: Nevermind, I guess it's not such a little thing.

Pancakes posted:

I will consider Iron First at least a partial disappointment if it doesn't feature Fat Cobra demanding he be brought his wenches of waiting.

I can die happy if I get to see Fat Cobra in action.

the future is WOW fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 12, 2015

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

okay, i admit that the Daredevil costume looks a little corny, but goddamn the moment when you first see Matt wearing it gave me chills.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

MrFlibble posted:

Daredevil was fantastic, im probably going to watch it again at a slower pace in a month or two.

Watching it has reminded me how much I love Daredevil and I ordered the Daredevil ultimate collection 1 (the start of the BMB run). From what I remember the whole run from there until they finish is great but its been a while. Is there anything really bad in the ultimate collections / Is there anything I would miss by ordering only those?

After those three Bendis Ultimate Collections, get the two Ed Brubaker Ultimate Collections, since they follow directly from the Bendis run. Brubaker's first story arc is his best by far, and some of it digs too deep into misery and despair after that, but it's still fantastic.

I didn't dislike Andy Diggle's Daredevil run as much as everyone else did, but it would have been difficult for anyone to follow the legendary runs by Bendis and then Brubaker. You can safely skip Diggle's stuff and skip from Brubaker directly to Mark Waid's more optimistic and fun run.

Of course, you desperately need to get Miller's Born Again (from the mid-'80s), and then probably his Man Without Fear (a modernization of DD's origin from the early '90s, where the black costume from the show came from). If you're still craving more, backtrack to Miller's original late '70s/early '80s run that pretty much made DD what he is today. But Born Again is required reading.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

okay, i admit that the Daredevil costume looks a little corny, but goddamn the moment when you first see Matt wearing it gave me chills.

Good thing Netflix decided to change their header Daredevil to him in the costume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

Good thing Netflix decided to change their header Daredevil to him in the costume.

i don't think it makes a difference, really. we all saw the costume gif or whatever before the show aired anyway. it's the way that the show constructs the moment leading up to when you first see him in costume that makes it work at all. Wilson Fisk realizing that he is in hell.