Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I read somewhere that Sherry was the traditional drink to have with tapas, but not once were we served it when I last went to Spain, nor did I ever see it as an option. Beer or regular red wine seemed to be the way things went. Did I read wrong, is Sherry not a thing in the Malaga province, or is it something they generally don't offer tourists?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrotchDropJeans
Jan 4, 2015
You have to ask for it, if you just ask for wine you'll be given red table wine 9/10 times. I've never been to an Andalucian tapas place that didn't have a sherry list with at least one or two sherries,, BUT I've never been actually offered a sherry by a waiter/bartender in 2 years of living there. There's a lot of stuff you just have to ask for.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I guess I'll inquire more thoroughly when I go back there. I did have a lot of charming Riojas so it was hardly a disappointment :P

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Sherry with Tapas seemed pretty common in Madrid when I went there.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.
I'm making a multi-course dinner for some friends who we enjoy wine with on a regular basis so I wanted to do a pairing with each course, but as it's Japanese food I'm second-guessing myself. The menu is as follows, with what I think I might pair with each course. Please suggest/critique on the pairing.

Course 1 2011 Eroica Riesling (or maybe a prosecco/cava?)
Cucumber Sunomono
cucumber, wakame, dashi, rice vinegar, soy
Hourensou no Goma-ae
spinach, sesame, soy, mirin
Kimchi
cabbage, chili, garlic, ginger

Course 2 ?? pinot noir maybe? It's rich and slightly spicy
Sesame Miso Tan-Tan Men
miso, tahini, doubanjiang, soft egg, bacon, scallion, nori

Course 3 2013 Syncline Rose
Miso Glazed Arctic Char
mirin, sake, miso, sugar, sesame
Momofuku Asparagus
miso, butter, red wine vinegar
Rice
rice, obviously

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

I SHOULD GO AND GET FUCKED

himajinga posted:

I'm making a multi-course dinner for some friends who we enjoy wine with on a regular basis so I wanted to do a pairing with each course, but as it's Japanese food I'm second-guessing myself. The menu is as follows, with what I think I might pair with each course. Please suggest/critique on the pairing.

Course 1 2011 Eroica Riesling (or maybe a prosecco/cava?)
Cucumber Sunomono
cucumber, wakame, dashi, rice vinegar, soy
Hourensou no Goma-ae
spinach, sesame, soy, mirin
Kimchi
cabbage, chili, garlic, ginger

Course 2 ?? pinot noir maybe? It's rich and slightly spicy
Sesame Miso Tan-Tan Men
miso, tahini, doubanjiang, soft egg, bacon, scallion, nori

Course 3 2013 Syncline Rose
Miso Glazed Arctic Char
mirin, sake, miso, sugar, sesame
Momofuku Asparagus
miso, butter, red wine vinegar
Rice
rice, obviously

Hard to go wrong with Riesling. A "dry" Madeira, Sercial ideally, would be mind-blowing with the second course. I'm not familiar with Syncline rose, what's the style? A rose could certainly work. My first thought for that course would be a restrained Pinot Noir or an unoaked Cab Franc.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Kasumeat posted:

Hard to go wrong with Riesling. A "dry" Madeira, Sercial ideally, would be mind-blowing with the second course. I'm not familiar with Syncline rose, what's the style? A rose could certainly work. My first thought for that course would be a restrained Pinot Noir or an unoaked Cab Franc.

Thanks for the suggestions! Honestly I'm not wild about that rose as a cocktail but with food it's absolutely wonderful. It is dry and has enough bright acidity and fruitiness to cut some of the richness but nowhere near as much as a white, and it has a floral and lightly savory backbone, it's Cinsault/Grenache/Mouvedre, I think the suggestion of PN/Cab Franc makes me feel like I'm on the right track. I have a Counoise and a Cinsault available at the house too. Failing a Madeira (I might not have time to go to a "real" wine shop), any alternates for course 2?

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002

himajinga posted:

Course 1 Scribe Riesling, Sonoma County 2013

Course 2 R. Lopez de Heredia Viña Gravonia Rioja Blanco 2004

Course 3 Hitachino Nest Red Rice Ale

These would be my first choices, and should all be easily obtainable online depending on your location. The Scribe is one of my favorite wines with Japanese cuisine. It has 0 grams of residual sugar, so it's super tart, mineral and acid driven, with a kind of saline/sea spray quality. The Lopez is an umami driven wine, tastes like sauteed mushrooms and roasted nuts. Similar idea to Kasumeat's dry Madeira. And that beer is something special with these types of dishes. It has a rich, sake like finish to it. Rosé would be my second choice. If you want to incorporate one red, I think a solid Sonoma Coast Pinot would work there too. You could get a little esoteric and pick up something like Arnot-Roberts Trousseau. That might actually be really tasty...

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Crimson posted:

These would be my first choices, and should all be easily obtainable online depending on your location. The Scribe is one of my favorite wines with Japanese cuisine. It has 0 grams of residual sugar, so it's super tart, mineral and acid driven, with a kind of saline/sea spray quality. The Lopez is an umami driven wine, tastes like sauteed mushrooms and roasted nuts. Similar idea to Kasumeat's dry Madeira. And that beer is something special with these types of dishes. It has a rich, sake like finish to it. Rosé would be my second choice. If you want to incorporate one red, I think a solid Sonoma Coast Pinot would work there too. You could get a little esoteric and pick up something like Arnot-Roberts Trousseau. That might actually be really tasty...

Cool, thanks! I haven't done much multi-course/pairing before and it's really fun! I think I'll have to make it a regular thing :) I'm really curious about that white Rioja!

An Alright Guy
Nov 11, 2007

The playoffs work the same way

Kasumeat posted:

The best thing you can do if you're trying to get someone into wine is to make sure you're buying decent stuff. It's pretty hard to find good wine in a variety of styles beyond your go-tos for less than $15-20 unless you know what you're doing. Get a decent bottle of a variety of classic styles to see what works, and if nothing does, just give up heh. Here's a selection of what I hope will be easy-to-find (I assume you're American) high quality wines of classics styles for ~$20 or less.

Bubbles: Roederer Estate
NZ Sauvignon Blanc: Oyster Bay
Riesling: Dr. Loosen Blue Slate Riesling Kabinett
Chardonnay: Evans and Tate Metricup Road Chardonnay
New World Pinot Noir: La Crema Pinot Noir Sonoma or Monterey
New World Cab: Liberty School (2012 ideally)
Zin: De Loach Russian River

Somebody American could probably offer better examples but these are a good start.

Well actually New World Chardonnays do typically ha-

These are all horrible wines.

An Alright Guy
Nov 11, 2007

Errant Gin Monks posted:

So goony wine peeps. I'm in love with Mollydooker blue eyed boy. Since I order it from the distributor it's pretty cheap (approx 25 a bottle). I'm sitting on a case at my house right now!

Anyway aside from the upper tier mollydookers like enchanted path and carnival of love I have been drinking some Leonettis at my buddies restaurant and holy poo poo balls amazing. But I really can't drop 80 bucks a bottle right now on the Leonetti works of art.

Is there anything comparable to these wonderful things that I can try out? Preferably something 50-75 retail since I can get it wholesale.

Thanks wine goons.

Have you tried Two Hands wines? Same manipulated Aussie juice at a little less the price. Go for something like the Angel's Share Shiraz.

Hate the style myself but might work pretty well as a less expensive sub for MDookie.

An Alright Guy
Nov 11, 2007

ShadowCatboy posted:

I just tried a riesling (Pacific Rim 2011), but it had none of the riesling characteristics I'd expect. The aroma had a leathery and earthy quality, and the fruity notes of apple, pear, and apricot I was looking for weren't present at all. It wasn't like, offensively bad or anything. But it was certainly disappointing. Any idea what could've happened? Would it be possible to return the bottle?

Let's see.

Wine not typically meant to age, low quality producer.. there's about 10 things you could say make this wine garbage.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can anyone tell me what this is in my wine?

It looks like some sort of microbial culture, but I have no idea what kind. It came out of the last pour from the bottle. The wine (Sasyr Sangiovese & Syrah) didn't taste faulted at all, but that could just be due to my inexperience.

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

Looks like tannins to me.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Could be sediment-seeded tartaric acid crystals as well. I see it all the time as I'm sure many do. It's not harmful to your wine in any way.

EDIT: The old-fashioned term for it is "crust".

Overwined fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Apr 4, 2015

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Overwined posted:

Could be sediment-seeded tartaric acid crystals as well. I see it all the time as I'm sure many do. It's not harmful to your wine in any way.

EDIT: The old-fashioned term for it is "crust".

After doing a bit of googling around for images I'm pretty sure that's what it was. They were so small and their stringy, connected structure reminded me more of a bacterial colony.

Can't say that my cork looked like this, though:

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001
Regarding vibration for wine storage.
I am re-doing my laundry room and it will require putting my two wine fridges much close to my dryer.

I know there is quite a bit of talk about the impact of vibration, but how much of this is just crazy people being crazy?
Wine Spectator said not to worry about it. Other blogs say it is the worst thing ever and I am worse than Pol Pot for thinking about it.

I tend to hold most of my wine for 5 years or less (only a few going past 10 years).
How concerned should I be?

Unfortunately, there is no alternative. It is either put them there or no fridges at all.

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

It's not a huge deal. It's an hour of vibration for every hundred without. Definitely better than the alternative of no fridge.

If you're really worried just make sure you pull your bottles some time in advance to rest them.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You could always just get some big rubber pucks to set the washing machine or wine 'fridges on to isolate any vibrations.

Seems like one of those things where being friends with an engineer comes in handy.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

The whole vibration things is a bit mysterious. What does a "vibration-effected" wine taste like? How can one pick out the "flaw"? I've heard a lot of alarmist talk regarding even the smallest of vibrations, but I find it all a bit suspect. I can totally see how storing your wine in a paint shaker would be a bad idea, but until I see some empirical evidence that small vibrations affects wine is a noticeable way, I'm discounting the theory entirely.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001
Okay cool, I will probably try to track down some anti vibration mats, but I wont worry about it much.
The number of people complaining that the Paris subway has ruined all wine in the city limits is just astounding.

Thanks!

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

Overwined posted:

The whole vibration things is a bit mysterious. What does a "vibration-effected" wine taste like? How can one pick out the "flaw"? I've heard a lot of alarmist talk regarding even the smallest of vibrations, but I find it all a bit suspect. I can totally see how storing your wine in a paint shaker would be a bad idea, but until I see some empirical evidence that small vibrations affects wine is a noticeable way, I'm discounting the theory entirely.

It would indeed be great to see some actual scientific study of this. Until then, I'm giving the benefit of the doubt to the believers. Krug, I believe, will not allow their wine to be shown at tastings unless it's rested x number of weeks since transport. And they're not alone. They only stand to lose by making such a demand if it's nonsense, so I'm inclined to believe the vibelievers, if with a healthy sprinkling of salt.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Kasumeat posted:

It would indeed be great to see some actual scientific study of this. Until then, I'm giving the benefit of the doubt to the believers. Krug, I believe, will not allow their wine to be shown at tastings unless it's rested x number of weeks since transport. And they're not alone. They only stand to lose by making such a demand if it's nonsense, so I'm inclined to believe the vibelievers, if with a healthy sprinkling of salt.

Nearly every wine merchant I've spoken to believes in "travel shock" to some degree. I tend to think of that as being far different than just exposure to vibration. There are lots of different stresses involved in shipping: vibration, agitation, swings in temperature, etc. That's different than saying a wine will be ruined by vibrations if it sits inside your refrigerator for a week.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Why would anyone store their wine bottles with their vibrators? :confused:

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Speaking of vibration and wine, is the "Mollydooker Shake" a troll?

Also, my dad just upends bottles into his decanter and walks away like David Caruso as they glug glug glug until empty, is there any downside to this method on stuff that isn't like 30 year old bordeaux or is it similar to putting it through a Vinturi?

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Kasumeat posted:

I totally agree that it's easier to err on the side of caution on this one. If it is indeed a thing it would be easy to believe that it would affect Champagne more than any other wine.

Bottle shock seems to me more "provable" and something I totally believe in, though again empirical data seems light. This is something I thought about today as I tasted a Trousseau Noir out of a "shiner" from the winemaker here on the East Coast (winemaker is Californian) and it tasted good and a bit disjointed. This was about 2 months ago. I was thinking about it today so I went by the only store I knew that carried it and bought a bottle to see if it had gotten over bottle shock. The problem with bottle shock is that it cannot be blamed solely on vibration. Wines bottled then tasted shortly thereafter on site still have a shock-ey thing going on.

himajinga posted:

No just a desperate marketing ploy by a couple idiots.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

himajinga posted:

Also, my dad just upends bottles into his decanter and walks away like David Caruso as they glug glug glug until empty, is there any downside to this method on stuff that isn't like 30 year old bordeaux or is it similar to putting it through a Vinturi?

And then there's the blender method:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubgiBZpyxrA

Gadgets and blenders do a good job of getting a lot of oxygen into a bottle of wine pretty quickly, but my complaint has always been that it takes you directly to the finish line and doesn't let you enjoy the journey along the way. Especially with older wines (where sediment would be a nasty issue), it's hard to know in advance how much breathing is going to be perfect. It might be just right at two hours in a standard decanter or it might die after 45 minutes, and once it's gotten too much air there's no going back. I always enjoy taking a sip now and then to see when it hits its Goldilocks zone.

The bigger issue with decanting or Vinturi-processing an entire bottle is that you really want to consume that wine pretty soon after. If you want leftovers the next day, then you don't want to oxygenate the entire bottle at once. Wine leftovers is a whole other topic...

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

benito posted:

Gadgets and blenders do a good job of getting a lot of oxygen into a bottle of wine pretty quickly, but my complaint has always been that it takes you directly to the finish line and doesn't let you enjoy the journey along the way. Especially with older wines (where sediment would be a nasty issue), it's hard to know in advance how much breathing is going to be perfect. It might be just right at two hours in a standard decanter or it might die after 45 minutes, and once it's gotten too much air there's no going back. I always enjoy taking a sip now and then to see when it hits its Goldilocks zone.

The bigger issue with decanting or Vinturi-processing an entire bottle is that you really want to consume that wine pretty soon after. If you want leftovers the next day, then you don't want to oxygenate the entire bottle at once. Wine leftovers is a whole other topic...

I had kind of a rollercoaster of a wine experience the other night that kinda changed the way I think about air and wine. I opened a 2008 Boudreaux Merlot (which according to Cellar Tracker is pretty divisive so we proceeded with caution), poured about 1/4 of a glass each for my SO and I, then decanted half the bottle. The initial pour was pretty flat, a little fruit and some acid, very little structure, and a medium body. We let it sit in the decanter for half an hour while we watched TV then poured about a half glass each. There was suddenly tons of black fruit, a nice tannic structure, and still that bit of acid from the beginning, and maybe the faintest hint of hickory from the barrels. We slowly drank the glass over another 30 min, then poured another half. This time the fruit had tamed quite a bit and the tannins were firm and chewy with quite a bit of hickory strongly present, and much of the early acidity was gone. We finished the wine in the decanter maybe another 30 minutes later and it had grown very astringent and smoky. Some friends came by and we finished the rest of it out of the bottle and those glasses were about on par with the fruity, structured flavors from earlier in the night. It was pretty strange but instructive re: decanting and air. Had I popped and poured or Vinturied the wine I probably wouldn't have liked it, but that middle hour from about 30min onward out of the decanter was pretty awesome.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

himajinga posted:

I had kind of a rollercoaster of a wine experience the other night that kinda changed the way I think about air and wine.

Speaking of air and wine, has anyone else ever done the evaporation trick to chill a bottle of wine? Wrap it in wet newspapers and drive around for a while holding it out the window? Great way to get arrested but it works en route to a picnic if you forgot to keep the bottle at cellar temp.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"

benito posted:

Speaking of air and wine, has anyone else ever done the evaporation trick to chill a bottle of wine? Wrap it in wet newspapers and drive around for a while holding it out the window? Great way to get arrested but it works en route to a picnic if you forgot to keep the bottle at cellar temp.

Nope, although I do chill bottles quickly by wrapping them with a wet tea towel, then into the freezer. Ten-fifteen minutes usually gets them cool enough for the first glass.

Just don't get distracted, or you invent the Reisling-sicle.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Holding out of the window would surely be effective, but I thought the whole trick to it was that you could leave it in the sun. I have done this with beer cans and a towel. The beers got cooler but I don't know if it was just the sea water of the evaporation itself. But the phase change of the evaporating water steals energy from the can, I'm sure someone with a thermodynamics course could do the math on how much.

himajinga posted:

Just to add to what benito said, sediment can be present in younger wines as well. I usually find out when I down the bottom of the last glass in one and get a mouthful of terroir.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Distorted Kiwi posted:

Nope, although I do chill bottles quickly by wrapping them with a wet tea towel, then into the freezer. Ten-fifteen minutes usually gets them cool enough for the first glass.

Just don't get distracted, or you invent the Reisling-sicle.

I would buy and consume tons of Riesling Ice Pops for the long hot summers here if they were indeed a thing.

EDIT: I'm going to make them a thing, gently caress it.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

An Alright Guy posted:

Have you tried Two Hands wines? Same manipulated Aussie juice at a little less the price. Go for something like the Angel's Share Shiraz.

Two Hands has a pretty nasty reputation for screwing over their harvest interns, including docking their 2009 crew half a week's pay because they only worked four twelve hour shifts Easter week.

I know you said you hate their style so you're not going to buy their wine, but I, and a bunch of my friends, would appreciate it if you wouldn't recommend it either.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Does the thread have any suggestions for some South American reds sub $25 that are more restrained in style? I feel like everything I try from South America are gigantic fruit bombs that either taste really sweet or the alcohol is way out of whack and obvious. I drink (and love!) a ton of Washington reds so I don't really need something so supple and elegant per se, but I feel like my forays south of the equator on this side of the world have been too bombastic for my palate. I keep going back hoping to find that one bottle that changes my mind but haven't really had much luck.

An Alright Guy
Nov 11, 2007

Stitecin posted:

Two Hands has a pretty nasty reputation for screwing over their harvest interns, including docking their 2009 crew half a week's pay because they only worked four twelve hour shifts Easter week.

I know you said you hate their style so you're not going to buy their wine, but I, and a bunch of my friends, would appreciate it if you wouldn't recommend it either.

Noted. Also, what assholes. Sorry to hear, was obviously unaware.

Go buy some John Duval Shiraz instead anyways, the stuff's pretty rad.

An Alright Guy fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 9, 2015

An Alright Guy
Nov 11, 2007

himajinga posted:

Does the thread have any suggestions for some South American reds sub $25 that are more restrained in style? I feel like everything I try from South America are gigantic fruit bombs that either taste really sweet or the alcohol is way out of whack and obvious. I drink (and love!) a ton of Washington reds so I don't really need something so supple and elegant per se, but I feel like my forays south of the equator on this side of the world have been too bombastic for my palate. I keep going back hoping to find that one bottle that changes my mind but haven't really had much luck.

Its a little commercial but Amancaya is pretty well made and is the little brother of the Caro wines from Catena/Rothschild.

Otherwise, Paul Hobbs is doing some cool poo poo down there too.

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

An Alright Guy posted:

Its a little commercial but Amancaya is pretty well made and is the little brother of the Caro wines from Catena/Rothschild.

Amancaya is great. Their malbec is very floral and elegant, a huge departure from most others at that price.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
My go to Italian restaurant near work serves Nero d'Avola as their house red, and I've been grabbing bottles of it whenever I see it. I really enjoy the juicy, spicy, affordable, easy drinkability of it.

Are there some other wines from Sicily I should be checking out?

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Stringent posted:

My go to Italian restaurant near work serves Nero d'Avola as their house red, and I've been grabbing bottles of it whenever I see it. I really enjoy the juicy, spicy, affordable, easy drinkability of it.

Yes. It won't be easy, but go find yourself a Frappato.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Stringent posted:

Inzolia and Grillo are two good Sicilian whites. A crazy thing to think about is that in some years, the island of Sicily pumps out more wine than the entire continent of Australia.