Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's as close a sequel as the main Final Fantasies are with eachother. The Nopon are back in, but it's about the same as saying Moogles are in the new Final Fantasy.

There's a ton of other mechanical changes too. Four person parties, like 20+ potential party members allied with various factions, create-a-main character etc.

Plus the ability to pilot giant robots.

On the downside: No combat Nopon party members :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
i'm not enjoying xenoblade at all

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Me either. I've only just got my party to 3 people and now I'm in a cave. I'm not far in so maybe I just need to give it some more time.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's exactly where i'm up to

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Digital Jesus posted:

Me either. I've only just got my party to 3 people and now I'm in a cave. I'm not far in so maybe I just need to give it some more time.

You haven't even started yet.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

the combat system is so boring

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

The everything is boring.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

:agreed:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
So how difficult was it supposed to be to find a Majora's Mask New 3DS anyway? Because I went to a local Best Buy expecting to buy a black one and Xenoblade Chronicles, and instead my brother and I both walk out with these:

They had six or seven of the Majora's Mask ones in stock but none of the other models. It was like the Best Buy That Time Forgot or something.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

strap on revenge posted:

the combat system is so boring

You've also not touched the real combat system yet.

The game is easing you in and by the end of the game you'll be initiating complex combo topple lock maneuvers combined with chain art shenanigans.

I'm using a character where I summon elemental magic poo poo. While it's summoned, my party get buffs (like health regeneration, attack boosts, etc) but I can also cast that poo poo to do damage but lose the buff.

When it's fully going, I'd say it's quite close to an offline version of WoW raid combat but with positional importance.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Kin posted:

When it's fully going, I'd say it's quite close to an offline version of WoW raid combat but with positional importance.

you're not donig a great job of convincing me to keep playing

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

It really doesn't get much more exciting.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

strap on revenge posted:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

100 hours? Oh, you poor sweet innocent. :allears:

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

strap on revenge posted:

It gets really good you just need to play for 20 more hours and then you are playing the real game. (it's boring)

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

strap on revenge posted:

It's a JRPG what kind of combat were you expecting?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Uh, the combat system doesn't really change that much. If you don't like it now, you're not gonna like it at the end of the game.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I got super burnt out on the combat in the wii version of xenoblade for the reason that the majority of the boss fights in the first 2/3 of the game interrupt you about halfway through the lifebar and then the boss beats you up in a cutscene regardless of how powerful you are or how well you're doing.

I understand the need to do that sometimes for story reasons or to express that an enemy is tough regardless of how powerful the player actually is in a gameplay sense, but doing it as many times as Xenoblade did was really annoying.

For the combat in general I sort of go back and forth on it. I like the general feel of it but at the same time I found certain aspects of it unintuitive. On the other hand the game basically doesn't punish you for biting off more than you can chew so taking risks and getting in there and trying to learn something feels like a reasonable choice rather than something that might cause you to lose two hours of gameplay like in other RPGs.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Mercury Crusader posted:

So how difficult was it supposed to be to find a Majora's Mask New 3DS anyway? Because I went to a local Best Buy expecting to buy a black one and Xenoblade Chronicles, and instead my brother and I both walk out with these:

They had six or seven of the Majora's Mask ones in stock but none of the other models. It was like the Best Buy That Time Forgot or something.

There was actually a large thread on Reddit with a Best Buy employee running SKU searches for people and their local BB. Tons of BB got MMn3DS. But great find!

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

So far I'm liking Xenoblade combat because of the music and all the character dialogue, It has a lot of charm. It also scratches that itch I have of seeing big numbers appear when I attack an enemy.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
i liked xenoblade's combat but i also switched characters around a lot. i could see it getting boring if you just like stick with shulk the whole time

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Red Robin Hood posted:

There was actually a large thread on Reddit with a Best Buy employee running SKU searches for people and their local BB. Tons of BB got MMn3DS. But great find!

Yeah, I wasn't expecting a find like that. The Best Buy here has a rather lovely small section devoted to whatever random Nintendo stuff they happen to stock, unorganized and in disarray, so when I looked at the locked case where they stock 3DSes I didn't expect it to have so many Majora's Mask models yet nothing else at all. My brother wasn't even planning on buying one himself anytime soon but he missed out on pre-ordering that on launch and figured it was now or never.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
You're pretty much stuck with Shulk until you get to the fourth character, as playing Sharla or Reyn means you can't have Shulk cast Enchant when fighting Mechon, his AI likes using Buster more often than not, which is infuriating. You're also not gonna get Mechon fighting gear until like halfway through the game, which is a loving long time. Thankfully Mechon are fairly rare outside of story events so you can still mix it up, but it does force you to use Shulk for some stretches of the game.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Red Robin Hood posted:

Yeah I asked that guy and he gave me a couple stores that supposedly had 6 in stock but when I checked they said some guy bought them all last week. :toot: At which point I said gently caress it and tried to get a standard n3DS, but they were sold out of those too. Went to Target and they were running a 10% off all electronics (plus another 5% with Redcard) and someone bought them all there too. Fortunately the next closest store had one left and they held it for me.

The faster loading and 3D that's almost usable are nice but my favorite feature of this over the old XL is that the loving screen/lid doesn't wobble all over the place on the world's shittiest hinge. Still wobbles a little, but not nearly as much. Oh, and not having the cartridge port in the center where you're most likely to grab it and eject the game is also appreciated.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The funny things about all these speculators buying the MM3ds is that the price has been destroyed by them.

I guess they can still make a small profit, but after ebay fees it seems like a waste of time.

Actually, I take that back. they are still selling for $275 or so. So a $50 profit.

That's not bad. But compared to the $150 profit they were getting before the re-release it's paltry.

E: there are 800 of them on ebay right now. that's just insane.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Waltzing Along posted:

The funny things about all these speculators buying the MM3ds is that the price has been destroyed by them.

I guess they can still make a small profit, but after ebay fees it seems like a waste of time.

Actually, I take that back. they are still selling for $275 or so. So a $50 profit.

That's not bad. But compared to the $150 profit they were getting before the re-release it's paltry.

E: there are 800 of them on ebay right now. that's just insane.

Yeah, the markup isn't super high any more, I half-considered just ebaying one, but gently caress giving those guys money.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I'm going to best buy today I think.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'm cool with my black nn3ds because I only tend to look at the side of it that has the screens. Hth

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Am I the only one who is going to be dumb enough to get all three StreetPass things coming out this week?

And yes, I'm buying VIP because that's how I roll. (Do people still say that?)

Canned Panda fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 12, 2015

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I'll probably get the fishing game but I definitely won't be getting Streetpass Premium or whatever it's called because it doesn't seem to add much and I rarely get any streetpasses to begin with.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

strap on revenge posted:

Assuming it's the same as the Wii, give it until you're past the Guar Plains, that's when a lot of the "Oh, poo poo" plot stuff starts to happen. I remember being kind of put off by the Plains.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Non-combat Xenoblade question!

I'm just supposed to be selling all this poo poo? I have big bags and little bags and sometimes quests auto-complete because I happened to have that item, but mostly it's just filling up pages of stuff and I can't buy heavy armor without selling it.

But I don't want to find out 3-4 hours from now that white beetles or something were some huge crafting ingredient.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Huxley posted:

I'm just supposed to be selling all this poo poo? I have big bags and little bags and sometimes quests auto-complete because I happened to have that item, but mostly it's just filling up pages of stuff and I can't buy heavy armor without selling it.

But I don't want to find out 3-4 hours from now that white beetles or something were some huge crafting ingredient.

Hold onto your Collectables. You can give them as gifts amongst your party members to increase Affinity. Different party members like different things.

Feel free to sell old weapons, armor, and gems if you don't need them though.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Huxley posted:

In general, keep the big bags and sell the little bags. Big bags are rarer loot, while the little bags are common. The only crafting you do is for Gems, which use Ether cylinders and "crystal" items. You mostly get crystals out of ether deposits but I think enemies can drop them too.

Old armor and weapons you can go nuts selling. If you don't want to equip it, sell it!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Sorry for this question but realistically what is the most likely special game themed new xl moving forward? I'm definitely getting one eventually and since I never owned a limited one I thought I would wait until I could.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the quick responses!

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Kilometers Davis posted:

Sorry for this question but realistically what is the most likely special game themed new xl moving forward? I'm definitely getting one eventually and since I never owned a limited one I thought I would wait until I could.

Pray for a new Metroid.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kilometers Davis posted:

You already missed out on the best one in the form of the shiny gold Majora's Mask special edition :colbert:. Though apparently those still lurk in Best Buys.

Serious answer; You're stuck waiting to see what comes out of the e3 Nintendo Direct right now.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Huxley posted:

Well if you have a bunch of a collectible item you can probably sell them, because they're common enough that you can easily get more if you end up needing them later. If you've only found one then hold onto it, so you don't end up needing one later and spending hours running around picking up glowies and getting everything except that item.

There's one major series of sidequests that requires a bunch of collectable items: the rebuilding of Colony 6. Just to save some annoyance, I'll list the ones that can't be obtained by trading with NPCs.

Hill Firefly x 4
Fortune Feather x 1
Black Liver Bean x 2
Rainbow Slug x 2

Make sure not to sell those when you find them. Especially those last two because they're super rare, oh my god the number of times people complained about those in the old Xenoblade thread :suicide:

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I'm probably stupid enough to buy the two new streetpass games while living in a country so streetpass barren that I may get one or two a year, but I still can't tell what the point of VIP Streetpass is, so screw that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
I don't think I get Kirby Triple Deluxe.

I bought it without doing any research because I've enjoyed the 2D platformer Kirbys in the past.. But there doesn't seem to be any challenge, and Kirby's 3D model is missing so much expressiveness from his 2D self. :(