Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Cichlidae posted:

There is also a river buried right below the surface.

We're going to have a week-long public workshop later this month to talk it over with people from all over the region. It's their neighborhood, so it's only fitting they get a say in it, right? Maybe they'll have some ideas we didn't even think of.

They'll have a few ideas that more then double the required budget sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Cichlidae posted:

There is also a river buried right below the surface.

We're going to have a week-long public workshop later this month to talk it over with people from all over the region. It's their neighborhood, so it's only fitting they get a say in it, right? Maybe they'll have some ideas we didn't even think of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng_-HgRfGBY

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Minenfeld! posted:

Edit: Also, was 84 built with future expansion in mind? I was paying attention while I was driving and it seems the entire length between Danbury and Waterbury has a large, grassy median. Is that there for future expansion? And if so, is it a common way to build a highway?

Often, sections with otherwise unaccounted very wide medians and side right of way are areas set aside for planned freeway-freeway connections that never get built. Extending that for dozens of miles can mean multiple were expected, or a single was expected with no clear plan of where it'd turn up.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

This is every public hearing or "community input" session I've ever been to.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Minenfeld! posted:

Yes, but the river is cool and you can kayak in it.

I actually drove through Hartford on 84 this weekend going to Bradley, and I made sure to look at the area of your map. I think a bridge is going to be really imposing for pedestrians in the area. Did the TransformCT website comments ever mention anything useful about the Aetna viaduct? The only think I remember seeing was a comment asking for a "mini-dig" to put 84 entirely under Hartford like that stretch father north.

Edit: Also, was 84 built with future expansion in mind? I was paying attention while I was driving and it seems the entire length between Danbury and Waterbury has a large, grassy median. Is that there for future expansion? And if so, is it a common way to build a highway?

A lot of people want us to put I-84 in a tunnel. We're looking very seriously at that due to all the public interest in it. The cost would be tremendous, but if that's what people really want, we'll find a way to pay for it.

As to the median, it's good design to include a wide median in rural areas. Drastically reduces the incidence of head-on crashes, simplifies drainage, makes the alignment more flexible, and provides room for future improvement.

Baronjutter posted:

This is every public hearing or "community input" session I've ever been to.

Yeah, I have literally heard one of the things in that clip at a real meeting.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Cichlidae posted:

You want depressing? Read the comments on this Courant article about the distracted driving crackdown.
Let me guess, they feel that Governor Malloy is personally stealing their money.

Cichlidae posted:

Yeah, I have literally heard one of the things in that clip at a real meeting.
We've hosted a few DOT public hearings and I'm not surprised at all. Probably 2/3 of the people who get up to speak aren't even saying anything related to the issue at hand.

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 6, 2015

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Possibly of interest: A major new railway route is under construction in Denmark, it's not a very long route but it's quite involved. Most interesting, they've published a detailed map of the new route and the terrain changes required. It indirectly also shows the road and bridge realiagnments required, as well as relocated homes and more. Make sure to zoom in close on the map.

E: If you open the Layers menu (second button) and fold out the first category, there's several additional layers you can enable too.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Apr 8, 2015

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

An US town is going to build a Dutch style Woonerf neighbourhood. They'll even adapt the Dutch name, it seems.

http://ithacavoice.com/2015/04/ithaca-housing-project-include-dutch-style-woonerf-roads/

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
It's been mentioned that people will walk the shortest path no matter what and there's an awesome example of this at a park here:

This should've come as a surprise to no one - the bridge is perfectly straight and inclined downhill towards this side and perfectly aligned with the main path in the park so that little detour + rocks is some kind of intentional middle finger to anyone on wheels.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Yep, it's a well-known phenomenon, known as desire paths in English, and the neat name 'elephant paths' in Dutch.

Speaking of, a Dutch guy wrote a book about 'elephant paths'. Here's his website with some neat photos.

I especially like these, where the town planners went 'gently caress it, if they want a path there they're gonna get one'.

Even follows the curve of the original elephant path.

One tile-width is more than enough.

Sometimes, all it takes to make an elephant path 'official' is a trash bin.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Carbon dioxide posted:

Yep, it's a well-known phenomenon, known as desire paths in English, and the neat name 'elephant paths' in Dutch.

Speaking of, a Dutch guy wrote a book about 'elephant paths'. Here's his website with some neat photos.

I especially like these, where the town planners went 'gently caress it, if they want a path there they're gonna get one'.

I heard about a quad on some college campus where they purposely delayed building paths to see where the students were going, and then paved the areas that had the most foot traffic. Good planning? Urban legend? You decide!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Cichlidae posted:

I heard about a quad on some college campus where they purposely delayed building paths to see where the students were going, and then paved the areas that had the most foot traffic. Good planning? Urban legend? You decide!

My community college had desire paths all over the place, due to the idiotic placement of paved walkways within the campus (lots of 90° angles out in the middle of a grass area, instead of a direct diagonal, stuff like that.) I always thought it would've made much more sense to leave it all green field until after the first semester, and then pave wherever the students walked.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Javid posted:

It's been mentioned that people will walk the shortest path no matter what and there's an awesome example of this at a park here:

This should've come as a surprise to no one - the bridge is perfectly straight and inclined downhill towards this side and perfectly aligned with the main path in the park so that little detour + rocks is some kind of intentional middle finger to anyone on wheels.

This one is tricky. It looks like that's a pretty steep slope, so that windy path was probably laid out to be less than 5% grade, so that it meets ADA standards. I've had issues where we were reconstructing a sidewalk/trail intersection on a steep grade, where there was a curving asphalt path connecting the 90 degree intersection - but the users had carved out a shortcut beyond even that curving path. So we were going to remove the existing asphalt 'shortcut' path, and pave the alignment that the trail users made. One of the agency commenters kept raising a stink over it, because it was going to be 7% grade along the alignment - but if we wanted to make it ADA compatible, we would make the alignment even less attractive than the existing one.

Sometimes the easy way for engineers to address ADA comments is not necessarily the best for users.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I don't THINK that's it since the winding path is plenty steep itself. I will measure the slope sometime because I get that curious about these things.

It's still entirely possible to blast straight through on a bike, but there are bumps and mud that could be alleviated with a narrow cement path.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
Alternately, if the subsurface allows, you could just remove some dirt and build a straight sidewalk in a ditch.

Also, University of South Florida only places sidewalks along roads during initial construction, then waits for students to wear an elephant trail before filling in the rest. Not an urban legend, actually happens in practice.

Edit: They also show up on Google Maps: https://www.google.com/maps/@28.0620078,-82.4120836,16z

Varance fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 12, 2015

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Cichlidae posted:

I do know that campus center at IIT was specifically designed so that the paths worn into the open space before it were converted into its main hallways, leading to some interesting internal shapes.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Devor posted:

This one is tricky. It looks like that's a pretty steep slope, so that windy path was probably laid out to be less than 5% grade, so that it meets ADA standards. I've had issues where we were reconstructing a sidewalk/trail intersection on a steep grade, where there was a curving asphalt path connecting the 90 degree intersection - but the users had carved out a shortcut beyond even that curving path. So we were going to remove the existing asphalt 'shortcut' path, and pave the alignment that the trail users made. One of the agency commenters kept raising a stink over it, because it was going to be 7% grade along the alignment - but if we wanted to make it ADA compatible, we would make the alignment even less attractive than the existing one.

Sometimes the easy way for engineers to address ADA comments is not necessarily the best for users.

I saw this situation just this afternoon. There were stairs coming down from a bridge onto a dike, but with no path down from the dike at that point. So people would walk and bike down the very steep slope of the dike, and a desire path formed. This was considered unsafe, so they made a hairpin-shaped brick path up the side of the dike recently, but it looked like people just kept using the old path going straight up/down... No effort was made to block it.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Bombing down steep hills when you're on a bike is a feature, not a bug.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD
I've got the interchange design for the I-84 project all figured out. Check this out.

So when people go to work in the morning, they're pissy and irritable because they're on a tight schedule, and there's always a terrible wait at the end of the off-ramp. Then when they go home after work, they're not as time-sensitive, but the freeway's all backed up and everyone's stuck in traffic. Then the peds are pissed off because cars are moving at 20-30mph down the city streets.

What I'm going to do is streamline traffic going away from the freeway. Nice high-capacity off-ramps that lead to good arterials. Those arterials distribute cars to their destinations with relative ease. Then on the way back to the freeway, all the roads are narrow and congested, which makes peds happy, and people don't get TOO stressed because the homeward commute is generally calmer. On top of that, it's effectively metering the on-ramps, so the freeway itself will flow beautifully.

Of course, I could go whole-hog and just not put in any on-ramps. Then I-84 would be PERFECT.

Too bad this isn't Cities: Skylines, where the entire city is made of one-way 2-lane roads and everything's perfect because all the intersections are 2-way yield signs...

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Such rigid gridding! You could've at least varied the size of the blocks. And stick in a diagonal avenue somewhere! Its so... ugly so... efficient. Its almost like you're some kind of traffic engineer. :v:

Also, not a single roundabout (not that C:S handles them well).

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Unless you usually view your city from a helicopter there's nothing wrong or boring with grids. They're about the best layout for pedestrians. Let the fantastic "outdoor room" created by the buildings and streetscape be the interesting part. It's lovely urban planners who just want to make their project look good on a map or from a plane that end up producing horrible places. I will defend grids to the end. I mean it doesn't have to be a perfect grid, you can vary the block sizes and angle things, but only if there's a reason like terrain or parks or what ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fo3m0hiZbg
Turbo roundabouts! Canals! Bike viaducts!

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 14, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yes, I was mostly joking! That said when playing city builders you ARE constantly viewing the city from a helicopter, so make it pretty for yourself! Who cares about the citizens, its not like they can vote you out or anything.

[edit] To add some actual content, here in California, there is a major interchange project that started up last year near where I live (and a lot closer to where I work). It involves where I-80, I-680 and Highway 12 meet. This place has been a bit of an awkward mess, and while I'm having trouble parsing this map, it seems like it'll be an improvement.

Here is what the area currently looks like.

And here is what I think is the plan:

They're only in Phase 1 construction so far, but they're moving and reshaping a lot of dirt on the 12 side and building a new overpass for the frontage road where 680 begins, its been interesting to watch it progress over the weeks/months.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Apr 14, 2015

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Such rigid gridding! You could've at least varied the size of the blocks. And stick in a diagonal avenue somewhere! Its so... ugly so... efficient. Its almost like you're some kind of traffic engineer. :v:

Also, not a single roundabout (not that C:S handles them well).

That doesn't even show the best part: the subway network!

The roads are almost entirely freight and pedestrian.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
You wanna see some street grids? I'll show you some street grids. From space. Most of our street lighting is only found major arterials down here, so it makes them stand out that much more. And also illustrates how blatantly sprawled the state is.

Check out Tampa Bay's bridges. All four are blatantly visible.

Varance fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Apr 14, 2015

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Varance posted:

You wanna see some street grids? I'll show you some street grids. From space. Most of our street lighting is only found major arterials down here, so it makes them stand out that much more. And also illustrates how blatantly sprawled the state is.

This isn't a comment about traffic engineering, but I'm really digging how the high cloud cover is creating patches of light over major cities to the north. I think I recognize the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area, I guess that would be Richmond right above that, and DC-Baltimore right at the edge of Earth's horizon?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Grundulum posted:

This isn't a comment about traffic engineering, but I'm really digging how the high cloud cover is creating patches of light over major cities to the north. I think I recognize the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area, I guess that would be Richmond right above that, and DC-Baltimore right at the edge of Earth's horizon?

Your RDC is probably Charlotte, best way to keep perspective in these kinds of images is to look at the coastline. Savannah, Charleston, Myrtle Beach are solid reference points.

Also, prepare to sperg:

http://youtu.be/ev9oPUNaqXE

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
The local council for the city centre (City of Melbourne) has a community input website for their future bike paths program.

Kinda neat: http://participate.melbourne.vic.gov.au/projects/draft-bicycle-plan-2016-2020/

Anyway, looking at Dutch Intersections I came across this before and after in Den Bosch, The Netherlands, amazing work, look how much reclaimed space there is, re-routing the majority of the north-south bike lanes via the river is a nice touch too, keeps traffic far away:
https://bicycledutch.wordpress.com/2014/10/30/xxl-size-reduction-for-an-intersection-in-den-bosch/

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Bicycle Dutch is the best thing on the internet. Any time I can't sleep or am feeling down I just open one of his youtubes and you instantly have a soothing voice showing you that at least somewhere in the world things are progressing and things are being done right.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
There's more to that particular Den Bosch project. A couple of kilometers of four-lane highway making the rebuild possible for instance:

Still, there wasn't enough political capital to close the ring with a full freeway.

And yes, the town's actually named 's Hertogenbosch (the Duke's Bush), much like The Hague/Den Haag's official name is 's Gravenhage (the Count's Hague).

Baronjutter posted:

Bicycle Dutch is the best thing on the internet. Any time I can't sleep or am feeling down I just open one of his youtubes and you instantly have a soothing voice showing you that at least somewhere in the world things are progressing and things are being done right.

I always switch off the sound because of the accent. It's the shame of knowing you can't even suppress that poo poo in your own speech :gonk:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Koesj posted:

And yes, the town's actually named 's Hertogenbosch (the Duke's Bush), much like The Hague/Den Haag's official name is 's Gravenhage (the Count's Hague).

Correction, the official name of The Hague is 'Den Haag'. It's on traffic signs, it's the official city name, and it's the first name appearing in historical documents. 's Gravenhage is a neologism from the 20th century made up by some people who wanted a more posh name for their city.

Contrarily, Den Bosch' official name is " 's Hertogenbosch ", it appears on traffic signs, it's the official city name... but everyone calls it 'Den Bosch' because 's Hertogenbosch is a bitch to spell and pronounce.

The cities also have French names, possibly a left over from Napoleon's occupation. The Hague is 'La Haye', while Den Bosch is 'Bois-le-Duc', reflecting the official Dutch names.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

http://goo.gl/maps/DdKff
What to do here? Dupplin crosses a major bike route on a lovely angle and once again an idiot driver coasted through the stop sign and hit a bike. A lot of drivers are unwilling to take the time/care to slowly nose into the intersection until they have a clear sight line, and bikes along here come fast and frequently. A lot of the traffic here are large trucks and deliveries and people in vehicles with poor visibility in a hurry. My suggestion would be to just close Dupplin. It has access from both ends, just stick some bollards and a dead end sign and call it a day. People are calling for the re-alignment of the road or an overpass or the right of way changed over to Dupplin because *multi-page rant about how all those drat cyclists don't follow the rules so why should drivers?!!?!*. It's a very minor little access road for a junk yard and used car place on the east and everyone on the west side can just go up to Kelvin, which is an actual more major road with signals.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Carbon dioxide posted:

Correction, the official name of The Hague is 'Den Haag'. It's on traffic signs, it's the official city name, and it's the first name appearing in historical documents. 's Gravenhage is a neologism from the 20th century made up by some people who wanted a more posh name for their city.

Contrarily, Den Bosch' official name is " 's Hertogenbosch ", it appears on traffic signs, it's the official city name... but everyone calls it 'Den Bosch' because 's Hertogenbosch is a bitch to spell and pronounce.

The cities also have French names, possibly a left over from Napoleon's occupation. The Hague is 'La Haye', while Den Bosch is 'Bois-le-Duc', reflecting the official Dutch names.

drat I knew this :doh: Thanks for the correction!

Radio
Jul 25, 2003

Oh no, trash bear!
If you like crazy pedestrian overpasses, you'll love this one in Honolulu.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Baronjutter posted:

What to do here? Dupplin crosses a major bike route on a lovely angle and once again an idiot driver coasted through the stop sign and hit a bike. A lot of drivers are unwilling to take the time/care to slowly nose into the intersection until they have a clear sight line, and bikes along here come fast and frequently. A lot of the traffic here are large trucks and deliveries and people in vehicles with poor visibility in a hurry. My suggestion would be to just close Dupplin. It has access from both ends, just stick some bollards and a dead end sign and call it a day. People are calling for the re-alignment of the road or an overpass or the right of way changed over to Dupplin because *multi-page rant about how all those drat cyclists don't follow the rules so why should drivers?!!?!*. It's a very minor little access road for a junk yard and used car place on the east and everyone on the west side can just go up to Kelvin, which is an actual more major road with signals.

It looks like they narrowed the road, which was a good idea, but didn't make it really present/visible until you are right on top of it, so it's not effective.

I would add some jersey barriers on each side of the road leading in (and some proper sidewalks to accommodate those elephant trails) and extend the narrowing so it's a bit longer. More signage would also be good, and I'd be tempted to periodically close the road and allow kids from nearby schools to come and paint the barriers, so they change appearances and remain fresh in drivers minds.

More drastic measures are to rumble cut the approach lanes to alert drives, or create sharper turns on the bike path approach to slow cyclists and straighten the crossing. Adding curbs to the bike path near the crossing would help the obvious pedestrian need and would also slow cyclists.

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

Varance posted:

Sweet, I can even see the Bayside Bridge and the intercoastal arterials! That's fantastic.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Grundulum posted:

Shim Howard posted:

Your RDC is probably Charlotte, best way to keep perspective in these kinds of images is to look at the coastline. Savannah, Charleston, Myrtle Beach are solid reference points.

Also, prepare to sperg:

http://youtu.be/ev9oPUNaqXE

RDU should be the one at the edge of the clouds, right of Charlotte, and above Myrtle Beach and Wilmington. You can even kinda make out a bit of (what I presume to be) I-40 pointing to Wilmington. But, yeah, that would mean the smudge to the north is Richmond.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Koesj posted:

I always switch off the sound because of the accent. It's the shame of knowing you can't even suppress that poo poo in your own speech :gonk:

I don't know why. That's a very well-spoken Dutch accent. The default Dutch accent can be harsh, but there really is something soothing about both the accent and the turn of phrase of erudite Dutch people speaking English.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I don't know why. That's a very well-spoken Dutch accent. The default Dutch accent can be harsh, but there really is something soothing about both the accent and the turn of phrase of erudite Dutch people speaking English.

Yeah, I could listen to "bicycledutch" talk on just about any subject, it's calming and soothing.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

drunkill posted:

The local council for the city centre (City of Melbourne) has a community input website for their future bike paths program.

Kinda neat: http://participate.melbourne.vic.gov.au/projects/draft-bicycle-plan-2016-2020/

Anyway, looking at Dutch Intersections I came across this before and after in Den Bosch, The Netherlands, amazing work, look how much reclaimed space there is, re-routing the majority of the north-south bike lanes via the river is a nice touch too, keeps traffic far away:
https://bicycledutch.wordpress.com/2014/10/30/xxl-size-reduction-for-an-intersection-in-den-bosch/

Aha, I knew that looked familiar! My plan from 5 years ago...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Baronjutter posted:

It is paved as if the bike route crosses the road, not the other way around.
If this were in the Netherlands it would probably be like this:
The bike path is pink pavement, which interrupts the road. The path is also on top of a speed bump, forcing people to slow down either way. Lastly, there are yield marks for the car traffic.
Here's an example that came to mind when I saw it: https://goo.gl/maps/Wlccy
If you're coming from the opposite side from the way I linked it there, there's no visibility at all. Still, I don't think people die there.

Entropist fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 15, 2015