Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Terrible play from the devotion deck, but he was basically 0% in the matchup anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
RDW curb stomped Abzan Control 2-0. Probably like 7 minutes game time total not counting mulligans.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I hope RDW takes the whole thing look at all the control decks in the Top 8 holy poo poo.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Its about time controls stranglehold on standard ends and we get a viable red deck again

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Boon Satyr on Rattleclaw Mystic. The dream is alive. :allears:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

rabidsquid posted:

Its about time controls stranglehold on standard ends and we get a viable red deck again

RIGHT? :argh::arghfist:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Its like, wizards, it has been two and a half days of control being around the top tables. Give it a rest guys, give us some time to play red for like ONE DAY EVER maybe??

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

So I was being facetious because I haven't actually been around for most of the Pro Tour but I can't tell if you are also being facetious.

On a serious note Surrak onto a board with Perilous Vault on it, seems like a bad idea, no? I suppose baiting it out so Whisperwood can be a thing is alright, though.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Count Bleck posted:

So I was being facetious because I haven't actually been around for most of the Pro Tour but I can't tell if you are also being facetious.

On a serious note Surrak onto a board with Perilous Vault on it, seems like a bad idea, no? I suppose baiting it out so Whisperwood can be a thing is alright, though.

If you just beat down with mana dorks your opponent gets to answer them one-for-one while keeping Vault on the table, and then your opponent can just pop the vault when you do play something threatening. Playing Surrak there gets in 5 damage straight up, and forces the Vault immediately so you can then play more real threats.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Big punt big punt ha ha ha, could've just left Silumgar back and swung with Boon Satyr but why, right?

Stealing a game away with Worldwaker, good, yes.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
BIG

PLAYS

BIG

PUNTS

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
By comparison, this gr player's lines were perfect. Its as if he could see the UB plated hand. Fantastic.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Shouta has been one of my favorite deck builders for years and I will always root for him

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

A single misplay there or choosing the wrong downfall target and Shouta loses that game

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Red just says no control again.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Mono-red aggro in the finals of the Pro Tour! Interesting that Zurgo's dash ability was the clincher.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah it made Drown in Sorrow look rather silly.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Shota plays Icefall Regent
Ondrej plays Dragonlord Atarka, kills it
Shota plays Dragonlord Silumgar, steals it
Ondrej plays Dragonlord Atarka, kills it, has to sac one to the legend rule

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The plays DTK was born for.

No Friend of Gravity
Feb 24, 2006

Sarkhan dancing around in the background shouting "THIS IS AWESOME"

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The last game ended with neo-Silumgar stealing Surrak and using him for a lethal swing. The final is Yasooka's UB dragon control vs Dang's RDW w/ Atarka's Command. I do really like the UB list, Silumgar's Scorn looks very strong and the board advantage dragons make it a bit more proactive.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

No Friend of Gravity posted:

Sarkhan dancing around in the background shouting "THIS IS AWESOME"

Sarkhan in the background being all :buddy:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

This game 1 was brutal.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Game 1 of the finals just ended because one of them called the judge on themselves because they saw a sideboard card in their mull to 4. Which one was it?

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Devor posted:

Game 1 of the finals just ended because one of them called the judge on themselves because they saw a sideboard card in their mull to 4. Which one was it?

Shouta did it. Then got steamrolled.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

GoutPatrol posted:

This game 1 was brutal.

So was this game 2!

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Best Pro Tour finals ever.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

GoutPatrol posted:

Best Pro Tour finals ever.

I may not have to leave my office and miss any before the finals are over at this rate.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Every magic match should just be a aggro versus control, and you flip a coin to see which deck you get before the match starts.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

So it turns out RDW does pretty well against UB

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

gently caress yeah, RDW.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Hey guys.

Red Deck Wins.
Splashing green for Atarka's Command and become immense is great. I wonder if the deck gas space for Fanatic of Xenagos though.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I hope the Command doesn't spike too much this weekend, I still need to buy mine.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

:barf:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's a very good card, but it only goes into one standard (and probably one modern) deck so I wouldn't expect it to spike too hard unless DTK isn't opened much.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

It's a very good card, but it only goes into one standard (and probably one modern) deck so I wouldn't expect it to spike too hard unless DTK isn't opened much.

Yeah but it could see it start being used in other RG decks, and the 3rd ability will probably really come into play when Battle for Zendikar begins.

blue player spotted

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

GoutPatrol posted:

I hope the Command doesn't spike too much this weekend, I still need to buy mine.

I'll trade you two for 25 :smaug:

Goblin Guide. :v:

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

GoutPatrol posted:

blue player spotted

I've actually probably played more mono red and white weenie than anything else.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

Yeah but it could see it start being used in other RG decks, and the 3rd ability will probably really come into play when Battle for Zendikar begins.
If you want to trade cards for damage then it does that very well, but I can't really imagine any midrange RG decks wanting to do that. The land thing is interesting but unlikely to be a factor unless they like reprint KotR and there's a deck based around land ETB effects or something crazy.

Count Bleck posted:

Fair point, although I think that kind of spike isn't likely to happen until a while after DTK stops being opened load.s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Count Bleck posted:

I'll trade you two for 25 :smaug:

Goblin Guide also goes in legacy.

• Locked thread