Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Jsor posted:

If you're not interested in CRPGs, don't get Pillars. It is super super CRPG-y, by design. I love the game, but it is an archetypal CRPG.

Oh, at least I'll be able to recommend it to a few friends who are interested in that genre and want something new. As for me I'll just read the inevitable screenshot lp that'll allow me to read the game like a book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

DStecks posted:

Well, see, my dad's cousin is Scott Steckly, and Canadian Tire is his primary sponsor; the shirt is promotional swag for the race crew. My dad is his crew chief, and David (my brother) hangs out with the crew a lot.

Shipping to Australia would be really, really expensive, wouldn't it? Because otherwise I'd happily hook you up with one. :(

Yeah, shipping to Australia from Canada isn't...great :( although unlike the US you've still got sea mail. I sent some books home from Montreal for about... $10? Maybe it was more. "Small packet international surface" ended up being $7.45 or something, just from calculating using a random Ottawa postcode.
I'm glad to solve the mystery of the shirt though! I asked them in Canadian Tire and they said that the only way anyone could have gotten one, is if they'd worked there. I did get some Canadian Tire money though, and that was pretty excellent.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Infamous Sphere posted:

Yeah, shipping to Australia from Canada isn't...great :( although unlike the US you've still got sea mail. I sent some books home from Montreal for about... $10? Maybe it was more. "Small packet international surface" ended up being $7.45 or something, just from calculating using a random Ottawa postcode.

That's actually not bad. I'll see what I can do. Looks like the shirts are all spoken for, sorry. :(

DStecks fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 12, 2015

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Jay and Mike continue their adventures in the fart-powered airship with It Follows and Furious 7

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Guy 1: I haven't watched any of the six preceding movies
Guy 2: Me neither.
Guy 1: This movies is bad because I don't know what's happens
Guy 2: Agreed
Goons: RLM is the best evar!!!!1

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Kalos posted:

Agreed.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Kalos posted:

What an accurate transcription of their opinions on the matter!

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Kalos posted:

They weren't talking about stuff from previous movies? They were talking about how the movie is a confused mess of things happening, which is why they have that scene with the little boy describing the events.

Not sure why you chose to interpret what they were saying as anything else, especially when they gave examples?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
They actually said that it was a fun, celebratory kind of stupid as well.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Kalos posted:

How could anyone watch that video and get this out of it :psyduck:

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Kalos posted:

.... they liked the movie...

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Cubey posted:

How could anyone watch that video and get this out of it :psyduck:

He didn't watch it duh

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Thanks to whoever mentioned Welcome to the Basement, it's been a really fun watch so far!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

IronicDongz posted:

They actually said that it was a fun, celebratory kind of stupid as well.

Which, to be clear, is what 99% of its fandom agrees with. No one really thinks these are loving art films, the people DOING them don't think they're some big thing, it's literally a series that a bunch of dudes who like eachother do because a bunch of people think it's fun dumb action and pay them large amounts of money. They seemed to 'get' it just fine, it's a big chaotic jumble of excuses to get from car chase to car chase that, if you want a dumb silly action movie, you'll probably have fun at.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I love the F&F movies, they are each amazing in different ways. (4 is pretty awful though, 3 is surprisingly great)
They are big, fun, superhero movies. Where the superpower is driving cars.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Lindsey dropped a new Loose Cannon for Captain America.

EDIT: After watching, I'm kinda surprised she didn't bring up the question of why Captain America has any international appeal, or at least talk about the subject of nationality defining who somebody is.

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Apr 13, 2015

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

I liked it, but I kind of almost disagree on here criticism of the Hydra reveal. While it is a valid complaint, there's an interesting reversal there: it puts the people who did make these decisions in the modern world on the same moral level as the Nazis.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
There's a critic I'd really like to give a plug for since his latest episode is so well done. I give to you: Thew Adams, Transformers toy reviewer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKv5E1cl3CU

Now I know what you're probably thinking: "Transformers toys? Guy with a neckbeard? Click." But hold on, give him a shot. I have about as much interest in Transformers toys as anyone in this thread (read: none), and I've been a faithful watcher since I saw my first video of his. I don't know what it is about him, but the guy has some of the best, non-cloying enthusiasm for toys that I've ever seen. The guy loves him some Transformers and his outright joy is enough to suddenly make me care about something that I will never, ever care about. So I hope you'll give him a watch and maybe you, too, will come to have a new-found adoration of light piping and revulsion to kibble.

This video's a bit longform for him, so I'll give out a conditional: If you aren't enthused about a guy geeking out on toys after the opening segment on the train bots in the opening section in this video then he PROBABLY isn't going to win you over. Just as word of warning if you start hankering for more videos after this: he rarely goes on outright hiatuses, but he has a day job that takes up a pretty big chunk of his life, so his updates tend to be a little long in coming sometimes.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Lindsey dropped a new Loose Cannon for Captain America.

EDIT: After watching, I'm kinda surprised she didn't bring up the question of why Captain America has any international appeal, or at least talk about the subject of nationality defining who somebody is.

Interesting point. The biggest Captain America fan I know happens to be from the UK.
Also, I had no idea that Transformers and Man of Steel were subsidized by the DoD. Like, holy poo poo. :stare:

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
If you're a major movie company and your movie features the military in a favorable light you can get a pretty nice amount of backing from the gub'ment.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

And they forbid you access to their equipment if you present them in a light they find objectionable, and they are under no obligation to explain what they find objectionable.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Beefstew posted:

Interesting point. The biggest Captain America fan I know happens to be from the UK.
Also, I had no idea that Transformers and Man of Steel were subsidized by the DoD. Like, holy poo poo. :stare:
Why do you think they focus on the soldiers in those Transformer movies and how great the military is and OUR TROOPS!!!

Can't wait to see the episode on Death, mainly because one of my favorite characters in any medium is Death from The Sandman; though too bad that Satan is losing out because he's also great in The Sandman/Lucifer

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sad Mammal posted:

There's a critic I'd really like to give a plug for since his latest episode is so well done. I give to you: Thew Adams, Transformers toy reviewer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKv5E1cl3CU

Now I know what you're probably thinking: "Transformers toys? Guy with a neckbeard? Click." But hold on, give him a shot. I have about as much interest in Transformers toys as anyone in this thread (read: none), and I've been a faithful watcher since I saw my first video of his. I don't know what it is about him, but the guy has some of the best, non-cloying enthusiasm for toys that I've ever seen. The guy loves him some Transformers and his outright joy is enough to suddenly make me care about something that I will never, ever care about. So I hope you'll give him a watch and maybe you, too, will come to have a new-found adoration of light piping and revulsion to kibble.

This video's a bit longform for him, so I'll give out a conditional: If you aren't enthused about a guy geeking out on toys after the opening segment on the train bots in the opening section in this video then he PROBABLY isn't going to win you over. Just as word of warning if you start hankering for more videos after this: he rarely goes on outright hiatuses, but he has a day job that takes up a pretty big chunk of his life, so his updates tend to be a little long in coming sometimes.

Someone posted that exact video a page or two back :ssh:. Thew's knockoff beatdowns are great entertainment.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
Oops, probably should have delved a bit more to see if anyone had posted it. Sorry for the mistake!

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

I am amazed I forgot about that "The A doesn't stand for France!" line. Grah, Mark Miller. I actually met that guy once when I had no idea who he was or what he'd worked on.

It was funny watching Lindsey's twitter while she plowed through all the major comic storylines and riffed on them. Civil War really has not aged well. I have to wonder how the movie is going to turn out.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
I just got a Patreon backer message from SF Debris which mentioned today is his 42nd birthday. Does that make him the oldest "internet critic"? Do any of the "internet critics" who frequent this thread see themselves still doing it at 42?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Mr.Radar posted:

I just got a Patreon backer message from SF Debris which mentioned today is his 42nd birthday. Does that make him the oldest "internet critic"? Do any of the "internet critics" who frequent this thread see themselves still doing it at 42?
Paw is also in his early 40s iirc that or late 30s.

Rebochan posted:

It was funny watching Lindsey's twitter while she plowed through all the major comic storylines and riffed on them. Civil War really has not aged well. I have to wonder how the movie is going to turn out.
The movie will probably be better because the MCU is all about picking and choosing comics for adaptations while also deciding to go down a different path because A) they are different mediums and B) they have the ability to look back and realize what didn't work.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
Paw is mid 30s. Definitely not in his forties.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mr.Radar posted:

Chuck has been doing Star Trek reviews for almost a decade. I believe he used to upload them to Youtube before he moved to his own website.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!
Justin (Jew Wario) was in his early 40s. There are definitely more than a few folks that are older, but age doesn't matter if you're entertaining and enjoying yourself.

Speaking of Justin though, Kaylyn is premiering Farewell FamiKamen Rider on the 15th on her Twitch if anyone cares to see it: http://www.twitch.tv/MarzGurl

I saw the movie at Magfest and was immensely proud of what they did, it was genuinely touching and funny. And it actually flowed like a movie and made it easy for folks to understand who didn't follow Justin's story lines. Definitely heartbreaking to watch though.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Mr.Radar posted:

Leonard I think is older:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r73C0N8FDek

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

Mr.Radar posted:

I'm 37 now and I've still got at least a decade worth of material. As long as I love doing it, I'll continue. It probably helps it's just a hobby for me, I don't need to make a living of it, so there's no stress involved.

On the subject of the DoD backing movies, yeah, they can be very generous or very petulant. I've always heard it being told that Independence Day didn't get any help from them because Area 51 was a plot point and location in the movie. Meanwhile, Micheal Bay loves the military and vice versa. Though I always thought using the military in the first Transformers movie was also a sort of dry run for a GIJoe movie. The soldiers they focus on could have easely been GIJoe characters. Hell, I'm kinda surprised Hasbro hasn't thought about doing a GIJoe vs Transformers movie.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Moviebob has another "Really that Good" video up, this time for Die Hard. I'm not watching it because I can't see how that man can ramble on for thirty minutes about a film he likes without repeating "this is amazing go watch it."

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

New Baywatching! Mitch does battle with a dog and Eddie attempts to make Shauni jealous.
http://phelous.com/2015/04/13/obscurus-lupa/baywatching/baywatching-thin-or-die/

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Miss Wallace posted:

New Baywatching! Mitch does battle with a dog and Eddie attempts to make Shauni jealous.
http://phelous.com/2015/04/13/obscurus-lupa/baywatching/baywatching-thin-or-die/

That episode got really uncomfortable really quickly. My guess is that they wanted to take the piss out of Billy Warlock, but since they could not afford him to leave at that time (he would have forced Erica Liniac (sp?) to leave as well), they needed to make Shauni and the answering service lady sing Eddie's praises.

Also it says nowhere in the rulebook that a dog cannot help Mitch and Garner solve crimes.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
A dog stole a save from Mitch once, and he's never been able to forgive them since.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

PassTheRemote posted:

That episode got really uncomfortable really quickly. My guess is that they wanted to take the piss out of Billy Warlock, but since they could not afford him to leave at that time (he would have forced Erica Liniac (sp?) to leave as well), they needed to make Shauni and the answering service lady sing Eddie's praises.

Also it says nowhere in the rulebook that a dog cannot help Mitch and Garner solve crimes.

Yeah, the Eddie/Shauni relationship became really disgusting, not gonna lie. If it helps anything, Eddie and Shauni did get divorced eventually (also they got married).

Oh man, if Nights had had a dog in it they might've lasted longer than two seasons!

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Miss Wallace posted:

Yeah, the Eddie/Shauni relationship became really disgusting, not gonna lie. If it helps anything, Eddie and Shauni did get divorced eventually (also they got married).

Oh man, if Nights had had a dog in it they might've lasted longer than two seasons!

Hey I forget, are you looking at each individual episode or is this a look at whole seasons, like with Charmed?

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Miss Wallace posted:

Paranormal Tequila and Bonetti?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Zedd posted:

I'm one of those "watches gundam" type of anime watchers, I did see a couple other mecha anime. I've seen DBZ, and I liked Haruhi. But outside of that nothing animewise really interests me. :v:

I got into anime in the 80s because of stuff like Robotech and Voltron. I was all about the robots and then looked into other things. But poo poo kept getting more and more expensive and more and more creepy. Sure maybe I just see and notice more of it as an adult and a self hating goon n poo poo but.. Yeah.

I basically stick to either retro stuff or Gundam/Macross. Thankfully Bandai/Sunrise aren't nearly as stupid and greedy as Harmony Gold is and I can watch a poo poo ton of recent Gundam on YouTube for free and then buy some models.

Gundam had a small window but Cartoon Network being CN and that oddball insistence on trying to push the original show kind of screwed it all up. Things like the original Zeta release didn't help either. Early 00s and only a giant assfuck box set for the series for nearly 200 bucks. But you got some stupid pencil sharpeners with robots on top of them.

Bandai keeps making mistakes but they aren't huge ones. It's just death by a 1000 cuts. And then anime basically became a niche in the west with associations of being for potential sex offenders and bye bye anime section at Target.

• Locked thread