Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

shodanjr_gr posted:

I disagree. A 2x3 grid that you scroll looking for an app is stupid on a 1.5 diagonal screen once you have more than 6 apps. And it appears that on the Moto 360 its just a flat list (that's what Google Image Search is telling me)? Good luck searching.

The AW approach gives you the full overview of all your applications and then you can drill down. If I cared enough to win internet arguments, I could dig up papers that show this is a better approach than presenting content in a list, particularly on small displays. And again, you don't have to "press the circle".

This isn't an issue because there hasn't been more than six AW apps released yet.

On another note, the iPod iPhone iPad Watch is going to be a flop (despite the fact that it's already sold out until August).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jot
Jul 5, 2003

Some parts of history were never meant to be uncovered.

Jealous Cow posted:

To follow up to my brief comments yesterday:

The SS watches look great, but would look even better as a mechanical watch. The sport models look like cheap crap. For some reason when that aluminum is used in something much smaller and more detailed than a MacBook it looks cheap.

Just to address this point, I tried both models on today. The Sport watches, in no way, feel cheap. When it comes to watches, sport watches (of all price ranges) tend to make use of brushed surfaces and fewer design flourishes. Why? Because they're meant to be used in an active lifestyle - which means that polished surfaces and extra detailing (like on the SS models) would easily be dinged up and look like crap in short order.

The SS model certainly looks nicer at first glance, but subject them to rough activity, and I guarantee the brushed aluminum Sport will come out of it looking better.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

monkeu posted:

This isn't an issue because there hasn't been more than six AW apps released yet.

On another note, the iPod iPhone iPad Watch is going to be a flop (despite the fact that it's already sold out until August).

Except there is enough built-in functionality in the watch to require more than six launcher spots. e: Unless by AW you mean Android Wear. Which brings up the hilarity of both things abbreviating to the same letters.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

shodanjr_gr posted:

Except there is enough built-in functionality in the watch to require more than six launcher spots. e: Unless by AW you mean Android Wear. Which brings up the hilarity of both things abbreviating to the same letters.

AW = android wear :ssh:

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

shodanjr_gr posted:

He does, and it is funny how they both abbreviate the same. And although he's wrong, there are more than 6 apps, I'm having trouble finding more than a handful I'd install on my watch other than my loyalty card app and a couple of others because I generally just want things like weather emails and texts to come through on my watch and use my phone for everything else. This is where the apple watch will some as I'm sure more interesting things will be made for it. Or maybe not. I'm seeing things like games being added which just don't work or make sense. Or how people are trying to shoehorn keyboards or web browsers on AW.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I didn't get to go to the station to play with an actual functional watch :( but I was glad to be able to try one on at least.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

This is where the apple watch will some as I'm sure more interesting things will be made for it. Or maybe not. I'm seeing things like games being added which just don't work or make sense. Or how people are trying to shoehorn keyboards or web browsers on AW.

That's the most exciting thing about the Watch and the reason why I hope it catches on. Devs will come up with use cases that are appropriate for the form-factor as long as Apple empowers them with the right dev tools. Obviously some devs (most devs even, like on iOS) will produce junk but that's part of the process...

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

shodanjr_gr posted:

That's the most exciting thing about the Watch and the reason why I hope it catches on. Devs will come up with use cases that are appropriate for the form-factor as long as Apple empowers them with the right dev tools. Obviously some devs (most devs even, like on iOS) will produce junk but that's part of the process...

AW has things like being able to control Plex or my chromecast while watching TV and its sick. This will be amazing for Apple TV users or controlling music while walking around the house. Its an amazing thing. Or controlling my Hue bulbs. But for every good app there's like 9 that make no sense. I'm hoping apple watch makes the competition fierce and it seems like it is considering the shipping estimations and how many people are talking about it.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

AW has things like being able to control Plex or my chromecast while watching TV and its sick. This will be amazing for Apple TV users or controlling music while walking around the house. Its an amazing thing. Or controlling my Hue bulbs. But for every good app there's like 9 that make no sense. I'm hoping apple watch makes the competition fierce and it seems like it is considering the shipping estimations and how many people are talking about it.

I'm really looking forward to the iOS plex app adding a remote control glance on the watch. Hopefully we won't have to wait long.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

eeenmachine posted:

I'm really looking forward to the iOS plex app adding a remote control glance on the watch. Hopefully we won't have to wait long.

Only problem is I find myself not putting my watch on while at home. But when it's on its cool.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Only problem is I find myself not putting my watch on while at home. But when it's on its cool.

Confirmed Apple Watch v2 has to be surgically grafted onto your wrist.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

To be honest blood powered wearables would be very convenient + it beats charging a watch everyday

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

IuniusBrutus posted:

I just got back and agree. The steel versions look alright, but the sport models look like garbage - I'd put them above the plastic android wear watches, but below the Pebble Steel and Moto 360. I suppose the space gray version is tolerable, but it doesn't seem like it'll hold up well over time. I'd be okay with this at ~$200, maybe $250, but not at $350+. Design is extremely well executed, but I think it is too thick and...square? to be liked as universally as needed to become as ubiquitous as the iPhone. The UI is extremely smooth and seems like there is a lot of room for growth, but it is overly complex, and I'm not sold on the idea of wanting that much utility in my smart watch; too fiddly. Screen is fantastic and crushes anything else out there right now. Build quality on the steel version is very nice, but it is still very much a mass-produced Apple product: it struck me as what most things should be built like (solid, well thought out, not "cheap" feeling), but not much more. I'm not sure how sold non-tech people will be on it - it comes closer to being something enjoyable and attractive to wear than other smart watches, but it is still dominated by a display and buttons and very much a gadget.

Yea and I am in Canada where the cheapest version is like $500. I just can't justify spending that kind of money on a cheap lovely looking aluminum watch with a 50 cent plastic strap that looks like it will break in a week. I can just go buy a waterproof polar watch with a heartbeat sensor for that kinda money and it would be a proper sports watch I won't have to baby.

I hope they improve on it for the next release and make it waterproof. I would love to have one for swimming.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

keyframe posted:

Yea and I am in Canada where the cheapest version is like $500. I just can't justify spending that kind of money on a cheap lovely looking aluminum watch with a 50 cent plastic strap that looks like it will break in a week. I can just go buy a waterproof polar watch with a heartbeat sensor for that kinda money and it would be a proper sports watch I won't have to baby.

I hope they improve on it for the next release and make it waterproof. I would love to have one for swimming.

This is just flat wrong. It is the same band they charge 10k for and is universally agreed to be the highest quality. I used one and it felt quite nice. I am glad I ordered a black on to use while running and cycling to match the leather band I got.

Also, I too am excited about a watch that has a speaker, microphone, two buttons, and is water proof to swim with (just buy a garmin 910 and move on)

Dirk Pitt fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Apr 12, 2015

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Dirk Pitt posted:

This is just flat wrong. It is the same band they charge 10k for and is universally agreed to be the highest quality. I used one and it felt quite nice. I am glad I ordered a black on to use while running and cycling to match the leather band I got.

Also, I too am excited about a watch that has a speaker, microphone, two buttons, and is water proof to swim with (just buy a garmin 910 and move on)

I am glad you feel a plastic strap is "universally agreed to be the highest quality". Also, you know what has a speaker, microphone, two buttons and is water proof?

This guy: http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/products/phones/xperia-z3-compact/

Maybe it is not the impossible feat of engineering you think it is?

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

keyframe posted:

I am glad you feel a plastic strap is "universally agreed to be the highest quality". Also, you know what has a speaker, microphone, two buttons and is water proof?

This guy: http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/products/phones/xperia-z3-compact/

Maybe it is not the impossible feat of engineering you think it is?

The Xperia Z3 is "waterproof" for an additional 0.5m of water when compared to the Apple Watch (IPX7 @ 1.0m vs IPX8 @ 1.5m certification)

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
The sport band is actually made from fluoroelastomer :ssh:

I suppose this is a good segue into the fact that I went to try one on today, and I am now super confident in the fact that the Milanese loop is the superior watchband. The interface was complex at first glance, but felt intuitive in the way that the iPhone did after a couple of days of using it. I especially like the way glances work, in that the app screen is not actually the "home screen" as such, but rather a place you go to when you feel you need slightly more information. Apple seems to have gone to great lengths to make sure that the user spends most of their time in the actual watchface. Didn't have any problems choosing apps from the app screen either, but then again, I don't have sausage rolls for fingers so your mileage may vary. The taps are weird, I knew going in from reviews that it was different from a standard vibration but the subtlety of the actual tap still caught me off guard. Also the sport band doesn't feel flimsy at all and fits fantastically, and I might end up getting one separately so I can have a slightly less dressy watchband.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Dirk Pitt posted:

:eyepop: I knew about the Apple tax, but that seems a little much

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Yeah, the sport band was significantly nicer than the usual bullshit stuck on smartwatches, but I was really disappointed in the rest of the strap options - the leather ones in particular are lacking.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Has anyone seen an article or review mention how the watch will work with the Apple podcast app? I'm using Overcast now but I would prefer to switch if the watch has integrates with it.

vvv Oh awesome, I have automatic updates on so I don't usually read the change notes. vvv

Gynocentric Regime fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Apr 12, 2015

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Hasters posted:

Has anyone seen an article or review mention how the watch will work with the Apple podcast app? I'm using Overcast now but I would prefer to switch if the watch has integrates with it.

Overcast 1.2 added some sort of Apple Watch support.

https://twitter.com/overcastfm/status/586686794705559552 posted:

OvercastFM: 1.2 is now available:

Apple Watch
Auto-delete-off option
Batch editing of podcast settings
Hold X-second-skip buttons for prev/next episode

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Leather loop is the best, followed by the Milanese loop and then sports band. The other non loop leather are indeed not great. But the sports band is really soft, strong and comfortable, and in white or black discrete and appropriate for pretty much anywhere. There will also be a billion third party options, including a regular pin adaptor that just lets you use literally any normal watch band with the added convenience of the simple release mechanism.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Thoughts on the link bracelet?

limekle
Nov 15, 2004

This isn't a democracy anymore.
STAY IN THE HOUSE, CARL.
Just posting to say it's not totally impossible to walk into the store with no appointment and try these things on. After reading this thread I figured it was unlikely but decided to give it a shot since I happened to be nearby an Apple store today.

I walked in and immediately noticed there were probably 2x as many employees as usual. They had units set up in several different stations, and a whole bunch of employees ready to help people try these suckers out. I asked on a whim and about one minute later I had someone putting watch after watch on my wrist.

I thought for sure I wanted the 38mm but after trying them on I'm definitely going to go with the 42mm. Color me surprised.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

It's a well designed link bracelet. I personally think they're a little busy for the simple elegance of the body, and the silver one can overwhelm the display in Apple Store lighting conditions through crazy shininess.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
I keep reading a lot of great things about the loop bands, but I can't get over the bulge at the fold, I find it very distracting. Is this something that is more pronounced in pictures or is it just that those of you raving about them just aren't that put off by the bulge.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

See it in person. If that doesn't help you really should seek pharmacotherapy.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I worry the Milanese loop will fall off when you put your hands in your pocket.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

This can be a real danger if you have magnets in your dick, please make sure you choose a non magnetic watch band if you are post-op ferrousgendered or electrosoul

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

chaosbreather posted:

This can be a real danger if you have magnets in your dick, please make sure you choose a non magnetic watch band if you are post-op ferrousgendered or electrosoul

My 6 year old loves your jokes

Grimmeh
May 9, 2004

...Putting The Fun Back Into The Funeral

I worry the Milanese loop will fall off when you put your hands in your pocket.

The magnet on the Milanese loop is surprisingly strong. It takes intent to take it off.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, I was impressed by that. If you happen to be a time traveler, don't put it near any floppy disks. It's definitely not going to open on its own.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Grimmeh posted:

The magnet on the Milanese loop is surprisingly strong. It takes intent to take it off.

Yeah. I wore it. Just didn't really try the pocket test to see how strong. I bet they thought of that anyways

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!
I have beenPlaying around with dictation on the iPhone to see how will it might work with the watch. Unless you are saying something private I don't believe I will ever use my phone for texting again

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Not a surprise to anyone, but someone e-mailed Tim Cook and somehow got back an indication that ship dates were super-conservative and would probably go out early.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1865424

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
He did, actually.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

zen death robot posted:

Tim didn't read that extremely long email

There are a lot of words in there for what boils down to "I was not able to pre-order a consumer electronics product that was subject to high demand, and I am frustrated about this."

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

kitten smoothie posted:

There are a lot of words in there for what boils down to "I was not able to pre-order a consumer electronics product that was subject to high demand, and I am frustrated about this."

Yeah, that dude sounds awful and his post(s) are bad.

edit: probably should have put the word "claims" somewhere in that link post.

Piquai Souban fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 13, 2015

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

kitten smoothie posted:

What did you expect? lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

kitten smoothie posted:

It's not just that, it's "I wanted to 'jump the line' by waiting at an Apple Store on the 24th instead of pre-ordering, why can't I Tim?!?"

• Locked thread