Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

M_Bison posted:

Any ideas?
W maybe, instead of the Quickness effect that isn't quite as good as normal quickness?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I was thinking "berserk" bless might indicate some new units for the new nation that do something like "berserk when blessed," kinda like how Eagle Warriors fly with blessed, but that's probably not it.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Oh maybe then aye. Spooky disco nights under the sea I guess.

M_Bison
Mar 15, 2014

Magil Zeal posted:

I was thinking "berserk" bless might indicate some new units for the new nation that do something like "berserk when blessed," kinda like how Eagle Warriors fly with blessed, but that's probably not it.

Then why not just give them berserk? I mean flying outside of battles would give eagleguys too much mobility, giving out of battle berserk is.... what's the point?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Everything they have is sacred, but their only holy units are super expensive and the prophet.

Something like that.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

M_Bison posted:

Then why not just give them berserk? I mean flying outside of battles would give eagleguys too much mobility, giving out of battle berserk is.... what's the point?

Having to bless soldiers to receive the effect, depending of their priests options, can be a limiting factor. It's also thematic, people starting to become berserkers as some guy does a war dance.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Any tips for MA Bandar?
Should I go for a water or nature bless?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

M_Bison posted:

It'd be neat if being blessed actually made them go berserk rather than having to be damaged first.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

amuayse posted:

Any tips for MA Bandar?
Should I go for a water or nature bless?

Scaaaalllllleeeeees and an awake god.

If you take a bless take one that your white ones can work with. Tigers are a trap.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
What should I expand with? Should I go for a rainbow?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Tigers are a trap.

They are? I haven't played them yet in a real game, but in a couple tests with a major water minor earth bless they expanded really well (22 provinces) and did a lot of damage when scripted to flank later on.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

fool_of_sound posted:

They are? I haven't played them yet in a real game, but in a couple tests with a major water minor earth bless they expanded really well (22 provinces) and did a lot of damage when scripted to flank later on.

You are paying 70g for a 10hp thing that is vulnerable to arrows, spells, or basically anything. A player will kick the poo poo out of them using a fraction of the gold cost you used to recruit them. All they can do is expand, and elephants can do that for only a slightly higher cost and without a bless.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Don't you get to keep the sacred tiger once the rider is dead? Or was that a mod thing back in Dom3? or did I just dream it

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

Don't you get to keep the sacred tiger once the rider is dead? Or was that a mod thing back in Dom3? or did I just dream it

You get the tiger but at the end the tiger leaves, you don't get a new rider.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Could you recommend me a pretender build? I keep screwing up with elephants and half the time they rout.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Okay I've been testing using Bandar Nobles to lead 4 elephants with a few armored vanara up front and it seems to work pretty good.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

The key is microing first hit. You should position the elephants so they get a big trample before the indies do and try to first turn route them. If done properly they will barely attrition at all. Just gently caress around in single player expanding to get the hang of it.

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'
I've got a quick question, as I'm still learning the specifics in this game. My opponent has just moved onto one of my forts, but I have support coming in adjacent provinces. If I have the defenders break siege while at the same time move my reinforcements into the province, will that force him to battle all of them at once? What if he moves back to his own territory or into one of the reinforcement groups?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
If he moves into his own territory, then you'll just retake the province, if there is movement around the place, there's a chance your reinforcements will get caught on the way and they'll stay where they are and fight that battle and only that one, meaning you fight two battles at once, split.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

I have a newbie LA game looking for a couple more players before I start it:
http://www.brainwrinkle.net/games/249

This will be a standard game, no mods, 15 provs per player. I'm hoping to get people with three or less MP games under their belt and ideally no wins yet, but i'll probably let that last one slide.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

LaserShark posted:

I've got a quick question, as I'm still learning the specifics in this game. My opponent has just moved onto one of my forts, but I have support coming in adjacent provinces. If I have the defenders break siege while at the same time move my reinforcements into the province, will that force him to battle all of them at once? What if he moves back to his own territory or into one of the reinforcement groups?

Generally, movements within your own territory get precedence. Since the province is technically his, if he withdraws to his neighboring province, he escapes and the province flips back to you. If he moves to one of your neighboring provinces, the reinforcements may, based on army size and move speeds, get caught. Since the game tries to minimize the number of battles that occur, the breakout battle will combine your forces of he should remain.

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Generally, movements within your own territory get precedence. Since the province is technically his, if he withdraws to his neighboring province, he escapes and the province flips back to you. If he moves to one of your neighboring provinces, the reinforcements may, based on army size and move speeds, get caught. Since the game tries to minimize the number of battles that occur, the breakout battle will combine your forces of he should remain.

Hm. To be clear, if he moves into another of my provinces, would the defenders get a shot at him at all? Or would it be his 530-unit doomstack against whatever reinforcement army is approaching from that province?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

LaserShark posted:

I've got a quick question, as I'm still learning the specifics in this game. My opponent has just moved onto one of my forts, but I have support coming in adjacent provinces. If I have the defenders break siege while at the same time move my reinforcements into the province, will that force him to battle all of them at once?

Yes

quote:

What if he moves back to his own territory or into one of the reinforcement groups?

If he moves back into his stuff they will get away. If he moves at one of your incoming armies, the RNG will decide where the two armies moving at eachother fight. So just expect it to be 50/50 whether or not he gets to move into the reinforcement province or if the intercept forces him to stay and fight everything from the fort + reinforcements.

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

Nuclearmonkee posted:

If he moves back into his stuff they will get away. If he moves at one of your incoming armies, the RNG will decide where the two armies moving at eachother fight. So just expect it to be 50/50 whether or not he gets to move into the reinforcement province or if the intercept forces him to stay and fight everything from the fort + reinforcements.

Ah, okay, that makes sense. Thanks!

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Just remember that friendly movements always happen first before any randomness in two armies making attacking moves. Always run away imo.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
It's not even really a friendly move / enemy move thing. Yes, that exists. But in practice, what happens is armies simply always move. Then fight where they moved to, friendly province or enemy province.

The only difficult part is when armies move directly against each other, the RNG is involved to determine who moves and who sits.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Alteration 8 finished this turn. It's not really that useful, I'm just working my way up to Army of G

Oh. :clint:

M_Bison
Mar 15, 2014

Nuclearmonkee posted:

You are paying 70g for a 10hp thing that is vulnerable to arrows, spells, or basically anything. A player will kick the poo poo out of them using a fraction of the gold cost you used to recruit them. All they can do is expand, and elephants can do that for only a slightly higher cost and without a bless.

You can buy an S1 mage for 60 gold. Who can cast mind burn/stellar cascades. He will do more than a tiger.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

M_Bison posted:

You can buy an S1 mage for 60 gold. Who can cast mind burn/stellar cascades. He will do more than a tiger.

Comparing mages to troops isn't quite fair, those things require research and you only get 1 per fort per turn, but I think tiger riders get a bad rap really. They have 3 attacks (6 attacks per square!), can be up to 18 HP with a N9 bless, and have a shield.

I wouldn't recruit them in huge numbers past the early game, but they do the expansion job quite well and are reasonably effective against people who might rush you. They're not so vulnerable to arrows due to having a shield and a reasonable parry score, and they don't rout at the drop of a hat like elephants. They are on the expensive side, but you get a good unit out of the deal if you've invested in bless, which can also be useful for communions and Gandharvas (and possibly blood monkey summons if you somehow acquire those).

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
You get more HP out of White Ones and they expand pretty alright themselves. If you're willing to chuck in a few Light Bandar Warriors then you're looking at a force which can leave the big guys behind to massively speed up sieges after you find a first target.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Magil Zeal posted:

Comparing mages to troops isn't quite fair, those things require research and you only get 1 per fort per turn, but I think tiger riders get a bad rap really. They have 3 attacks (6 attacks per square!), can be up to 18 HP with a N9 bless, and have a shield.

I wouldn't recruit them in huge numbers past the early game, but they do the expansion job quite well and are reasonably effective against people who might rush you. They're not so vulnerable to arrows due to having a shield and a reasonable parry score, and they don't rout at the drop of a hat like elephants. They are on the expensive side, but you get a good unit out of the deal if you've invested in bless, which can also be useful for communions and Gandharvas (and possibly blood monkey summons if you somehow acquire those).

Tigers have a buckler which is going to have a lowish chance to block an arrow and 14 body prot, which is why they get torn to pieces by arrows.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Bacchante posted:

Yeah, probably. I've had, -ahem-, issues with reminders.

Although in this case it was almost all of my provinces being taken at once via simultaneous stealth armies, and I'm still super-slow at expansion, so I'm sure that the result would've been much the same...

Stealth armies?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Enjoy posted:

Stealth armies?

Stealthy leader + stealthy units. Always a nasty little surprise if you can pull it off.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Libluini posted:

Stealthy leader + stealthy units. Always a nasty little surprise if you can pull it off.

I was asking whose stealth armies, I didn't use any :confused:

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Enjoy posted:

Bacchante is Mictlan in the game being referenced. Not Caelum.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Enjoy posted:

Well, next time please add the missing word to avoid confusion then

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Sup Dominions fans, here is a mod that brings EA and MA water nations onto the land.

Why would you do this?

Because now they can have more than indies and maybe a couple of units on the coast if they get some forts up.

There's a bit of a limit on how many units/commanders you can get underwater this way, but it's five plus indies which is about the size of a boring nation's normal roster, so it isn't quite as much as a hit as you'd think.

EA Atlantis, MA Atlantis and MA R'lyeh are particularly good UW/Land factions, as you'd guess I suppose (I also put a bit more time into EA Atlantis than the other two in terms of splitting their units between land/sea/coast, frankly), and they hold their own pretty well - MA Atlantis' really atypical mage strength for the era and StR except in the capital comes across as a very unique aspect of the faction which is actually nice to see. R'lyeh is just generally strong with assassins, strong mages, decent path versatility and some good low-res if high-ish gold troops in Hybrid Troopers.

Oceania is a garbage nation still, but at least it's not a Super Garbage Nation that can't really do anything on land.

MA Pelagia has a particularly poo poo land lineup, but the rest have at least some stuff going on.

I have a feeling you can't change LA R'lyeh to a land nation, because its Dreamlands effect isn't a copyable attribute like Ermor's #autoundead, which is a shame.

I'll probably make another version with some changes to the factions that I think make sense (Oceania and Pelagia are going to be recombined, probably, I was working on this before but got burnt out on the MA faction), but for now here is the thing.

Link

Density
Nov 12, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Am I crazy in thinking that land nations should be given a similar aptitude in the water? How is it fair for uw ones to have heartland provinces that can't be contested until late game?

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Boing posted:

Alteration 8 finished this turn. It's not really that useful, I'm just working my way up to Army of G

Oh. :clint:

It's a fantastic spell with the one weakness of short range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Density posted:

Am I crazy in thinking that land nations should be given a similar aptitude in the water? How is it fair for uw ones to have heartland provinces that can't be contested until late game?
The UW nations don't have national missile troops (other than illithids which cost a loving fortune), tend not to have very good/affordable blocking troops, and don't have very useful national summons on land - all of those are quite a big deal. In return they get more strategic mobility and some pseudo-safe provinces, but pretty much every nation has at least some shot at getting underwater somehow some way later on, and breaking into W through Nature or Death for spells like Friendly Currents.

If people start running the mod a lot and it turns out that Oceania is trouncing Caelum or something then there might be problems, but I'm going to wait it out for at least a bit.

• Locked thread