Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

AbusePuppy posted:

That Knight looks pretty baller. His base still feels kinda... empty, though. Unless you're still planning on adding grass/etc to it?

I do, I just don't have any static grass, and I want to get some experience using it before I add it to the Knight. (I have never used static grass before)

ijyt posted:

Very much improved, good job. Nice freehand on the ordinaries.

Thanks man. Not 100% sure what the ordinaries are, but if you are talking about the shoulder pads, those are transfers. (Thanks again to BuffaloChicken for the 2nd set of tranfers)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

Don't forget that time that bundles in Canadian dollars actually cost more than buying them separately because someone at GW just converted the american price instead of adding up the canadian prices.

FrostyPox posted:

Holy poo poo, you're right, the giant AdMech pack is $1203 CAD, but the kits individually are...$1144 CAD.

lmao

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

WHOOPS disregard, I am retarded, I think I missed a Knight of Cydonia when I did the math so it actually is $1203 individually.

CARRY ON.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Quick question, does a Tau velocity tracker allow a Tau unit to choose sky fire one turn but still fire normally the next turn?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Yeah.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

The Duo Blood Angels was to much for the push-up bra wearing Eldar and the Gheybot Necrons. Get rekt Hixson and Panascope you plebs.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Stanyer89 posted:

The Duo Blood Angels was to much for the push-up bra wearing Eldar and the Gheybot Necrons. Get rekt Hixson and Panascope you plebs.

Imperium 4 lyfe

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
The Emperor protects his own. Of course some amazing Feel No Pain rolling helps as well.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
I posted a 30k list a couple pages back and didn't get any feedback. I'ma post it again (with some tweaks) cause I'm about to spend a lot of money on forge world so if anyone has any thoughts this time I'd appreciate it... cause I'm about to hit the button on a lot of poo poo.

Rite of War
Terror Assault

HQ
Sevatar (175)

Troops
10 man terror squad, 10 volkite chargers, legion drop pod, headsman has chainglaive and melta bombs (300)
10 man terror squad, 10 volkite chargers, legion drop pod, headsman has chainglaive and melta bombs (300)
9 man terror squad, 9 volkite chargers, legion drop pod, headsman has chainglaive and melta bombs (280)

Elite
5xcataphractii terminators 4 lightning claw pairs, chain fist, heavy flamer (255)
mortis contemptor 2x kheres assault cannon (180)

Fast
10xNight Raptors, 2xchainglave, 2xpower axe, 2x power sword, huntmaster has meltabombs (315)

Heavy
Sicaran, lascannon sponsons, armoured ceramite (195)

to take it to 2500 I'd add kurze and probably give the sgts artificer.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
A few things:

Terror Assault isn't a super great RoW but I assume you're aware of that.

The big concern I see is a lack of high-S shooting. You have a single unit with a gun capable of glancing AV13. You're bringing melta bombs, which is good, but it's a weakness you should be aware of and will probably have to play around.

The Kheres will be fine for anti-air at 2k points, except against Angel's Wrath lists, but going upwards it'll struggle if people dedicate themselves to flyers.

Sevatar is great and cheap but you're not using his Warlord trait at all nor his Master of the Atramentar.

The biggest issue, honestly, is that the biggest legion list strengths are things that aren't very thematically Night Lords. What you have now is absolutely fine for friendly games (and it seems like most 30k lists in general are not super optimized and instead go for flavor), so if you're aware you're leaving some possible strength on the table in the name of fluff, that's fine, just be aware of it.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Has the StormRaven gone out of production? None of the EU retails I have in my links seem to have it!?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

jadebullet posted:

So I updated my Knight's paint job, finally deciding to weather it a bit and wash it as well as add detail to its base.

Forgive the kind of lazy photography.

What do you guys think?

Edit: For reference this is what it used to look like

This is very nice, though I can't stop seeing the arms of the cross on its helmet as eyes and its visor as a big poo poo eating grin.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

HardCoil posted:

Has the StormRaven gone out of production? None of the EU retails I have in my links seem to have it!?

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Space-Marine-Stormraven-Gunship

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

UK goons: DarkSphere has pre-orders open for the Plasma Obliterator.

Whoops, never mind.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I managed to grab a few pictures of the game I played yesterday with myself and Stanyer89's Blood Angels against Panascope's Nexcrons and Hixson's Eldar. The quality isn't the greatest and there aren't enough of them for a full BatRep but the game was so much fun I think they're worth posting.

Four Stormravens. Four.

The remnants of my Sanguinary Guard squad along with Dante completely surrounded by filthy xenos. They've already taken 150+ shots and due to making 15-20 Feel No Pain rolls only lost some faceless mooks. Also of note are the Wraiths near the top of the screen that ended up eating a Stormraven and something like 3-4 squads of marines by the end of the game.

This looks much the same until you realize in the intervening turn that due to Quickening, Dante is at initiative step 9 and has a total of eight strength six AP two attacks. The Necron Warriors in this shot are a completely squad than the previous shot due largely to his axe.

A victory for the Blood Angels. Dante has finally fallen but a squad of Death Company were able to clear the enemy troops off the objective to contest. The match came down to a fraction of an inch on both objectives.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Those Wraiths are no joke. Multiple assaults are needed to take them down every game, unless you use Death Company.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Attack Bikes are quickly becoming one of the dullest things to paint.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
How big are Morghast Archai compared to a demon prince?

Also I do want to use the tree bros from fantasy as demonettes but I don't think I could cover all of slanessh options with tree models. Also the ghosts from camp counts would be cool flamers but again, I don't think I could cover all of tezeetch with ghost models.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Naramyth posted:

How big are Morghast Archai compared to a demon prince?

Morghasts are pretty huge.

They'd be perfect for Daemon Princes.

As for ghost models: Reaper has a ton of ghost and undead models to work with, so there's probably enough there to cover what you'd need if that's the theme you're going for.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Oh, haha, ok, didn't think of checking GW. It was just gone from Weyland and some Danish retailers. Probably just some stock fluctuation.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I just bought so many Skittlearmies.

Three Vanguard boxes, two infiltrators, three Ironstriders, a knight, codex, datacards and I preordered the Onager kits.

:shepspends:

Moola please tell me how awful I am.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

TKIY posted:

Three Vanguard boxes, two infiltrators, three Ironstriders, a knight, codex, datacards and I preordered the Onager kits.

I mean, did you have to get all of them at once. Piecemeal is a thing, you know.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

ijyt posted:

I mean, did you have to get all of them at once. Piecemeal is a thing, you know.

But think how much money you save by buying the one-click deals

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

TKIY posted:

Think how good they'll be in six months, when several other Even More Overpowered Codexs have been released !

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Eh, that's not really fair. You can criticize 7E 40K for a lot of things, but power creep isn't one of them.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I just hope we get more Admech stuff like really cool tanks.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

ijyt posted:

FLGS discounts orders 20% if you order over a certain amount, might as well get 20% off all of it.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Good to see Stanyer89 is still smugly rules mongering like usual:

"Hummmm Hixson that wave serpent is partially off the table. Does that mean its destroyed? Bullshit! Proove it. Show me the page in the rulebook."

Cataphract posted:

I posted a 30k list a couple pages back and didn't get any feedback. I'ma post it again (with some tweaks) cause I'm about to spend a lot of money on forge world so if anyone has any thoughts this time I'd appreciate it... cause I'm about to hit the button on a lot of poo poo.

Rite of War
Terror Assault

HQ
Sevatar (175)

Troops
9 man terror squad, 9 volkite chargers, legion drop pod, headsman has chainglaive and melta bombs (280)

Elite
5xcataphractii terminators 4 lightning claw pairs, chain fist, heavy flamer (255)
mortis contemptor 2x kheres assault cannon (180)

Fast
10xNight Raptors, 2xchainglave, 2xpower axe, 2x power sword, huntmaster has meltabombs (315)

Heavy
Sicaran, lascannon sponsons, armoured ceramite (195)

to take it to 2500 I'd add kurze and probably give the sgts artificer.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

A few things:

Terror Assault isn't a super great RoW but I assume you're aware of that.

The big concern I see is a lack of high-S shooting. You have a single unit with a gun capable of glancing AV13. You're bringing melta bombs, which is good, but it's a weakness you should be aware of and will probably have to play around.

The Kheres will be fine for anti-air at 2k points, except against Angel's Wrath lists, but going upwards it'll struggle if people dedicate themselves to flyers.

Sevatar is great and cheap but you're not using his Warlord trait at all nor his Master of the Atramentar.

The biggest issue, honestly, is that the biggest legion list strengths are things that aren't very thematically Night Lords. What you have now is absolutely fine for friendly games (and it seems like most 30k lists in general are not super optimized and instead go for flavor), so if you're aware you're leaving some possible strength on the table in the name of fluff, that's fine, just be aware of it.

There's not much armor saturation, so your mortis and sicaran are gonna die really quickly in the land of 30k high strength shooting everywhere. You also have no way to really deal with high AV dangers like spartans or admech tanks. Also might want to consider a dreadclaw or two. They get a bad rep, but that's because people don't know how to use them. If you are going with assault troops they are better than drop pods.

Terror squads are expensive and I don't think you need 3 of them. Run the math- will one of those take down a squad of 20 marines and an apothecary? If not, what do you plan to send them against? You might also consider just going balls deep with aircav. Drop all your tanks for a pair of fire raptors, storm eagle, or an assault ram. A drop pod liss with a bunch of scary mean aircraft is a tough nut even in 30k.

e: Also you should probably drop the Volkites from those squads.

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 13, 2015

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

TKIY posted:

youre a loving idiot m8

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

PeterWeller posted:

Eh, that's not really fair. You can criticize 7E 40K for a lot of things, but power creep isn't one of them.

(Not that I agree, but)
Ok, then - Think about how you could have bought 2-3 entire starter armys for systems that are Fun to play, instead of rolling lots of dice.

But, really -
Why on Earth would you get So many models at once, with no discount ? My painting queue is bad - that must be catastrophic

Renfield fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Apr 12, 2015

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Moola posted:

youre a loving idiot m8

There is the sweet, sweet validation I needed. Thanks buddy :3:

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

BULBASAUR posted:

There's not much armor saturation, so your mortis and sicaran are gonna die really quickly in the land of 30k high strength shooting everywhere. You also have no way to really deal with high AV dangers like spartans or admech tanks. Also might want to consider a dreadclaw or two. They get a bad rep, but that's because people don't know how to use them. If you are going with assault troops they are better than drop pods.

Terror squads are expensive and I don't think you need 3 of them. Run the math- will one of those take down a squad of 20 marines and an apothecary? If not, what do you plan to send them against? You might also consider just going balls deep with aircav. Drop all your tanks for a pair of fire raptors, storm eagle, or an assault ram. A drop pod liss with a bunch of scary mean aircraft is a tough nut even in 30k.

He actually does need to take 3 squads for Terror Assault. Otherwise yeah we're pretty much in agreement

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
So I played 3x1500pt games today in a tournament, using Imperial Guard (with one allied inquisitor). Lost to SM, beat SW, narrowly lost to Eldar.

New standard of stupidity in game 1: My opponent deployed 1 devastator squad and, going first, dropped one pod (he deployed it behind a building specifically so I couldn't table him and win before turn 2 started). My turn 1, I moved, dicked about in my psychic phase, cast a couple powers, and then said 'oh well, that's it, go ahead'.

I FORGOT MY FIRST TURN SHOOTING PHASE. God dammnit, I realised as he was doing his turn 2 movement, of course against a guy like that I didn't even ask if I could go back. The only thing I could have killed was his devastator squad (and I would have, they were staring down a Paskisher and an leman russ executioner) but between the obj they were holding the whole game and the models they killed, that might well have won me the game. Absolutely kicking myself.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Should I get a sector imperialis or secret weapon's tilescapes?

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Honestly, the Tilescape. While it's not as intricate, the fact that it's more generic makes it better if you ever decide to pick up another system

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
The Tablescape is $80 cheaper, generally pretty agnostic for other 28mm game systems, and has a shitload more variety. It'll also paint up way faster since that GW one is like a detail overload.

jadebullet posted:

I just hope we get more Admech stuff like really cool tanks.
I hope we get more weird Admech stuff and electro-priests and lightning cannons and other crazy poo poo. They've got half an army now, but I'm pretty positive they're doing more.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

The Tilescape. The Sector Imperalis looks terrible. The downside to the Tilescape is that I don't think it fits together super well.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
Get a F.a.t. Mat. There's something to be said for having a flat gaming surface that still has plenty of detail. They're easy to store and lay out And they're cheap enough that you can have a variety of designs.

I sold my urban tablescape board. I backed the kickstarter and by the time it arrived I'd already moved on.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Deepcut mats are pretty nice too for the money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Honestly Cataphract, you should take the Raider Detachment instead. It's way better than the Night Lords ROW. It also makes Terror Squads, or any elites, scoring and obsec. Something like:

code:
~2000 points
Night Lords- Raider Detachment

[HQ]
Sevatar 175 

[Elites]
10 Man Terror squad 200
9 Man Terror squad 170
5 Man Terminator squad 175
5 Man Terminator squad 175
Contemptor mortis 180
Contemptor mortis 180

[Fast Attack]
Dreadclaw- 100
Lightning- 200

[Heavy Support]
Land Raider Proteus-  250
Fire Raptor Gunship- 200

Choose the ability that basically guarantees you can take 2nd turn.

x10 man terror squad scouts/infiltrates somewhere safe and objective camps inside a Land Raider Proteus. Meanwhile Sevatar + 9 man terror squad inside a dreadclaw drop down and position to charge or terminator bomb somewhere nasty. Turn 2 you're basically guaranteed that almost all of your reserves will make onto the board and won't scatter near Sevatar. The fire raptor deals with medium armor, two contemptors control your backfield, and the lightning nukes heavy armor after deepstriking behind it. All your elites have osec so enjoy having 6 scoring obsec 'troops' which include contemptors, terminators, and Sevatar.

You can put the dreads inside drop pods too, if you wanted. Or grab an assault ram / replace the terror squads with veteran tactical or a command squad for other trickery. I think this would be a pretty fun and pretty balanced list to play.

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 13, 2015

• Locked thread