Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

ZShakespeare posted:

This is what's so hilariously bad about iCloud Drive. Sure you can store you photos in it, but lol if you want to actually see or do anything with the files.

Apple seriously wants people to ignore traditional file systems, and I just don't want to do it. I'm actually curious, is this an old-person (I'm 30) thing, and do the 15-year olds today not give a poo poo if they can see the .jpg on their computer in a folder?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

illcendiary posted:

All I want to do is see my files in Finder, but I guess that's too much to ask, thanks Apple :mad:

With regards to Photos? You can just use Show Package Contents on the photo library. Unless you were referring to something else..

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

maduin posted:

Apple seriously wants people to ignore traditional file systems, and I just don't want to do it. I'm actually curious, is this an old-person (I'm 30) thing, and do the 15-year olds today not give a poo poo if they can see the .jpg on their computer in a folder?

It's a middle age thing. Old people don't like looking at file systems either.

You even see Microsoft adopting this (or adopted, since Windows 7) with their Libraries that can get files from multiple locations and put them in one "folder".

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

How good is Photos? How much space does it use once you upload your collection to iCloud?

I'm asking because since I switched to Mac I haven't had the space to move my pictures (about 30gb) so they still are in my old desktop that I haven't turned on in a year (all backed up with Crashplan) but uploading everything and having "at-will" access to to them sounds nice.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

maduin posted:

Filesystems pretty much only give you one hierarchical layout, so they aren't the best at handling/sorting media that can be organized (viewed) multiple ways. ie. Music and photos (hence iPhoto/iTunes). If you want the same photo in multiple albums, how do you do that in a filesystem without manually creating aliases everywhere, etc. And tags are another thing (though Apple seems to be trying to push that into the filesystem now).

That said, I hate that damned "all my files" view in Finder, and I haven't found much use for tags yet...

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

gmq posted:

How good is Photos? How much space does it use once you upload your collection to iCloud?

It'll use 30gb or whatever amount you use. Apple have only a measly 5gb free so you'd need to upgrade to a paid tier. It's pretty bad imo. Using the photos app as just an updated iPhoto with iCloud Photo Library turned off is the only way I've been able to deal with it.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

gmq posted:

As with all iCloud-related things, you'll be happy (and none-the-wiser) if everything works as it should.

If not... then you'll want to rub broken glass into your eyes.

I enabled it on my macbook and everything went as expected. I had a few gb of photos and they uploaded fine, and were shared with my iPhone seamlessly.

I then enabled my iMac, which has about 100gb of photos. According to my ISP, I have uploaded 35gb of data but Photos thinks it still has ~95gb left to upload.

I don't know what the gently caress is going on. Console.app is a mess of cryptic "cloudd" MMCS errors, the little progress bar never moves or updates, and my photos sure as poo poo aren't making their way from one device to another.

I've left the iMac on for a few days now but I can't keep it up much longer because it murders my upload bandwidth, of which I have precious little already. I was considering taking it into work and using the glorious 100mbit/100mbit there but I'm getting the feeling Photos is just uploading the same corrupt file over and over again or something equally as stupid. And of course I can't tell because there is no way to debug this garbage. It's just a black box my shaky old internet connection is tirelessly shoving bits into.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It took me like a week for my 50gb library to upload and I don't think the ETA/Upload process was right at any time. I almost took the drat thing to work too.

The paid tiers of iCloud aren't too bad compared to the others (Dropbox/Google/OneDrive) so making the jump wasn't a big deal.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Apr 12, 2015

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!
It handled my 22,285 photos which were in Aperture fine, and took a few days to upload it all. I like it better than iPhoto and it's probably a better fit for me than Aperture was. It's handling that massive library without much in the way of slowdown (mostly when you do something like edit tags on a lot of photos at once). It definitely has some ".0" version issues to work out but mostly things I can't do (like drag one Faces bubble onto another to merge them). Upgraded to the 200GB iCloud plan for three quid a month, of which it's using 123GB. Syncing to other devices seems to work well too.

Going to give it another week or so and then try to get my parents migrated from iPhoto to it, they really can't grok Events/Albums properly and I think Photos' way of presenting stuff will make more sense to them.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
On the subject of Photos, what's the new workflow replacement for Events? It took me years of on and off curating to import photos dating back to 2001 into iPhoto. I made extensive use of Events, which were properly imported to Photos, because they seemed like the best choice at the time. Lately, Photo Stream would auto-create monthly events. I would then pick off interesting events every couple of weeks. Events don't really seem to exist in Photos.

What's the best way to pull out interesting groups of Photos now? Do I use albums? Should I/can I convert all my legacy events into something new?

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

OS 10.10.3 is live, folks.

Kobayashi posted:

Installed from the App Store, now seeing a flashing folder on reboot. Fuuuuuck.

My rMBP '13 15" refused to fully boot after the update. Verbose boot told me it was hanging on ManyCam as a video device, then the machine would die. I booted into safe mode holding shift and uninstalled it. All is well. Yikes!

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Is there a way to automagically on a schedule backup iCloud photos to local disk? Including shared albums? I'm just paranoid I or someone else might blow them away accidentally or intentionally at some point in the future.

edit: oh nevermind, I see the option to keep originals on a particular mac.

edit2: urgh, the local copies organization isn't very human readable.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 12, 2015

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
My girlfriend's old 2009 Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook is running OSX 10.5.8. It runs perfectly fine, but most software requires at least OSX 10.6 to run, which is a pain in the rear end. Two questions:

a) What's the newest version of OSX it should be able to run comfortably? Bear in mind that a couple of years ago I fitted it with a 60gb SSD + the original 120gb mechanical drive, + 8gb of DDR2 ram, so it's not running the original lovely hardware.

b) Is there any way to upgrade online? From what I've been reading it seems like I'll have to order at least a physical copy of Snow Leopard.

Edit: by "upgrade online" I mean downloading an ISO + key like you would with Windows. Not talking :filez:.

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Apr 13, 2015

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

kuskus posted:

My rMBP '13 15" refused to fully boot after the update. Verbose boot told me it was hanging on ManyCam as a video device, then the machine would die. I booted into safe mode holding shift and uninstalled it. All is well. Yikes!

Mine turned out to be OS X forgetting about FileVault. I had to boot to the firmware utility, load up the startup disk thing, and enter my FV recovery key. 1Password totally saved my rear end.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

My girlfriend's old 2009 Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook is running OSX 10.5.8. It runs perfectly fine, but most software requires at least OSX 10.6 to run, which is a pain in the rear end. Two questions:

a) What's the newest version of OSX it should be able to run comfortably? Bear in mind that a couple of years ago I fitted it with a 60gb SSD + the original 120gb mechanical drive, + 8gb of DDR2 ram, so it's not running the original lovely hardware.

b) Is there any way to upgrade online? From what I've been reading it seems like I'll have to order at least a physical copy of Snow Leopard.

Edit: by "upgrade online" I mean downloading an ISO + key like you would with Windows. Not talking :filez:.

Your model is listed as being able to run 10.8 (maybe 10.9, but I think Mavericks might give it a stroke).

No, the only way around it is to order 10.6 from the Apple Store for $20 and they'll send you the physical install media. After that, update to 10.6.8 and then you'll be able to go through the app store for the rest. You can skip Lion and go right to Mountain Lion saving yourself $20. All said, going to Mountain Lion from where you are now will cost $40.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

flosofl posted:

Your model is listed as being able to run 10.8 (maybe 10.9, but I think Mavericks might give it a stroke).

No, the only way around it is to order 10.6 from the Apple Store for $20 and they'll send you the physical install media. After that, update to 10.6.8 and then you'll be able to go through the app store for the rest. You can skip Lion and go right to Mountain Lion saving yourself $20. All said, going to Mountain Lion from where you are now will cost $40.

Thanks for the answer, that's what I figured. Not in the US, so I'll see if I can track down a local retail copy of Snow Leopard.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

flosofl posted:

I've got 10.10 running on my 2007 MBP with 4GB (max) and its fine.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

My girlfriend's old 2009 Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook is running OSX 10.5.8.
I don't do this for a living, but I don't know why you can't simply:
-See if there's enough free space on the second HDD to create a new partition that will fit a Time Machine backup of the 60GB drive. If not, find a reliable spare USB drive and format it, using it for Time Machine.
-Make a Time Machine backup of the Leopard partition (and ensure it completes)
-On another Mac running at least 10.8, go to the app store and download Yosemite (but don't install it). You can use Diskmaker X to locate the image inside that installer and write it to a blank external thumbdrive. OR just follow the unix commands for creating bootable USB w/ dd using google, the same place you find the instructions to pick the image it out of an installer app from the app store
-Boot up the machine holding ALT after the chime to show drive options (and test the newly duped OS X thumbdrive by booting from the USB after it shows up)
-Use Disk Utilitiy on your new USB installer to format the target SSD
-Install fresh Yosemite (or whatever flavor you found) when that finishes
-Either point the installer to the Time Machine backup during installer when it asks, or finish installing fresh and then run Migration Assistant, pointing it to the Time Machine backup to restore the user and data.

The only caveat I might be overlooking is that later OS X versions might not be able to restore from a 10.5 Time Machine backup, but might require 10.6, in which case, yep, create a bootable image for 10.6 first from Apple or some Russian FTP link found via public FTP search, then follow the above. I would replace both the small SSD and HDD with a single Samsung EVO or something, but if you're pinching pennies that's cool.

kuskus fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Apr 13, 2015

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
OS X has zero copy protection when installing on a Mac so if you know anyone who will let you borrow a disk then just pop it in.

Spikeness
Dec 4, 2009
I am sexually aroused by the thought of a 12 year old video game character in a bikini, just fy
My time machine backup is running painfully slow ie: it takes a day to backup 1GB, no clue why, I've done a disk check and it says its not failing or anything

Is there any software that will make backups similar to a time machine backup? With all the folders and contents preserved as they are, I'm not looking to restore from the backup, I just want everything so I can take what I need after a fresh install.

Would a stuck Filevault encryption cause the disk/backup speed issue? I never turned filevault on but it seems to say its stuck half way through encypting the disk, and I cant seem to turn it off.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

fleshweasel posted:

OS X has zero copy protection when installing on a Mac so if you know anyone who will let you borrow a disk then just pop it in.

So just ask someone to make me a 10.6/7/whatever DVD with their mac and then just pop it into my girlfriend's 10.5 mac?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

So just ask someone to make me a 10.6/7/whatever DVD with their mac and then just pop it into my girlfriend's 10.5 mac?

The recovery disks that come with the machines will restrict the kind of computer they will install on. So you can't load a Mac Mini recovery disk onto a MacBook, but they are labeled. If it's a copy of snow leopard someone ordered from Amazon or Apple or something, it should work fine (or a recovery DVD/USB)

Lion on up I'm not sure, because a recovery install over the Internet does check against your iCloud account for "eligibility".

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
^^^ I'm pretty sure they stopped making hardware specific recovery disks after 10.7(?) since they stopped shipping Macs with recovery media.

Seriously, just ask for a 10.10 USB. TEN dot TEN. Yo-yo. Your 2009 MBP will be fine. It will not blow up.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Can't really decide if Hardware or Software thread would be more apropos...

Apparently AMD bootcamp drivers don't get updated all that frequently and I was just wondering if there was some kind of commonly agreed-upon beta/3rd party/From-Radeon-but-not-officially-for-Bootcamp drivers that were not what the AMD site/Apple recommends for Bootcamp?

Please do let me know if I missed what would be a much more appropriate thread for this specific question. :)

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
You're safe installing drivers from the manufacturers website.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

decypher posted:

You're safe installing drivers from the manufacturers website.

Even when you see that the manufacturer has a driver (say like the most recent drivers for GTAV) that say in fine print down below: "This driver is not intended for use on AMD products running in Apple Boot Camp platforms. Users of these platforms should contact their manufacturer for driver support."

lua
Jun 16, 2013

I have basically the same thing (except no mechanical drive) and it's totally fine on Yosemite. Mavericks got better battery life and was a little faster for me but I think it was worth the upgrade anyway.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Feenix posted:

Can't really decide if Hardware or Software thread would be more apropos...

Apparently AMD bootcamp drivers don't get updated all that frequently and I was just wondering if there was some kind of commonly agreed-upon beta/3rd party/From-Radeon-but-not-officially-for-Bootcamp drivers that were not what the AMD site/Apple recommends for Bootcamp?

Please do let me know if I missed what would be a much more appropriate thread for this specific question. :)

The only 100% safe Boot Camp drivers are the ones from Apple. Others may work but can cause problems.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

The rear end Stooge posted:

The only 100% safe Boot Camp drivers are the ones from Apple. Others may work but can cause problems.

Do I risk any serious problems or is it just like "oh this is giving me errors, better roll back to boot camp drivers."

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Feenix posted:

Do I risk any serious problems or is it just like "oh this is giving me errors, better roll back to boot camp drivers."

The latter. Worst case you might have to boot into safe mode to uninstall the vendor drivers.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
I'm getting spotlight crashes since 10.10.3. mds pegs out at 100% CPU and spotlight is just broke. Well that solves why my battery was dying so fast yesterday.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
Does anyone know of any tools or utilities that will work with the new Photos for Mac that will search for duplicate photos and let you remove them?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

echobucket posted:

Does anyone know of any tools or utilities that will work with the new Photos for Mac that will search for duplicate photos and let you remove them?

Any nix tool will work http://www.howtogeek.com/201140/how-to-find-and-remove-duplicate-files-on-linux/

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Well yeah, but I don't want to confuse Photo's magic database of iCloud syncing madness by doing an end run around it under the covers.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

echobucket posted:

Well yeah, but I don't want to confuse Photo's magic database of iCloud syncing madness by doing an end run around it under the covers.

It's not so magic. You'll be fine.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Molten Llama posted:

The latter. Worst case you might have to boot into safe mode to uninstall the vendor drivers.

Bummer. I tried installing AMD Beta 15.4 (GTAV PC improvements) and it said it couldn't find compatible hardware.

I guess I can't just install drivers... :(

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
You can install these drivers, which are newer than what you get with the latest Boot Camp support package, but they're already four months old, and that version number was already at least a few months old when they originally came out in December.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

kode54 posted:

You can install these drivers, which are newer than what you get with the latest Boot Camp support package, but they're already four months old, and that version number was already at least a few months old when they originally came out in December.

the 12/16/14? Those are what I have. I got my iMac and set up Bootcamp in early January 15.

Thanks though! :)

Pelikan
Sep 24, 2003
Can anyone confirm whether 10.10.3 fixed the UI lag issues on the rMBP? I'm considering a trade-up of my 2014 base Air (which has no lag on Mavericks as far as I can tell) for a refurbished 2014 base rMBP on account of the better screen and 8GB of RAM, and this is the only thing deterring me. Google searches yield nothing, despite the update being released a week or so ago...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Feenix posted:

the 12/16/14? Those are what I have. I got my iMac and set up Bootcamp in early January 15.

Thanks though! :)

I guess they updated Boot Camp support package, then. Good on them.

E: 10.10.3 also fixed an issue I had with SMB failing to disconnect or reconnect in a timely manner, and also with SMB connecting and seeing shares that had no mounted endpoint on the server machine. (My "Programming" share, which is pointed at E:\, which is the mount point my .vhd volume appears on when I mount it manually after rebooting. If I could get it to auto mount on boot instead of manually after login, I'd set that up in a heartbeat, but I'm not exactly sure how.) Previously, OS X would see the share, but report that it couldn't mount it. Clicking the Disconnect button at that point would do nothing, so I couldn't properly mount it again until mounting it on the server end, then logging out and back into OS X on the Mac.

kode54 fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Apr 15, 2015