Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

I hope a certain character's first scene is next, because one if the pages you put up has some info about him that is mostly a spoiler at this point.

And now that I look at it again, in the corner, it has another spoiler for a different event later on.

Namely calling the place Randy's evil lair and Avan's court of Inquiry.

BlazeEmblem fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
You realize you putting it in spoilers like that means more people are going to notice, right?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
We already know Randy is two-faced, because 1) it's super cliche and 2) a skit alluded to that already.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't even remember who Randy is. This game has too many drat characters and nearly all of them are forgettable.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Here's a quick look at an enemy ace weapon from Cindy. Much weaker than the current Scout rifle we have, but it can lower defense!

No wait, status effects are garbage to use. Always pick higher killing power and accuracy.

Oh, my! You're right. What a lovely sweater.

Aww, you guys are pros at this, too!

I could certainly see that can you're making in a boutique, Noel.

Naw, I'm half winging it here! Those gloves are way fancier, Marion.

Ha ha! You see? We're all doing all right for ourselves!

Hee hee. Oh, I have an extra skein with me. Shall we make something else with it, ladies?

Oooh! That's 100% sleeping sheep wool yarn from Dufour Farms!

It's so hard to set! Yay, I'm all excited!

Man, if I knew how to knit, I could get in on some of that action...

Was this just a long "Jo is a creep" skit....?

Alexis Quest 1

Mmfs, this is so good! I LIVE for lunchtime!

Mind if I join you?

Go for it, man!

...Oh, hey. You're in my class, right?

That's right, I'm Alexis. I suppose this is the first time we've spoken one-on-one.

Yeah, I think so.

There's actually something I'd like to ask you about. I have to admit, I'm surprised that you're adept at every unit class. Did you train for combat elsewhere before coming here?

Hmm, well my old school did have the usual War Ed classes, but...I'd say it's probably more thanks to my brother. He used to train me.

Your brother, eh?

He'd been working the town watch for years, so he had a lot to teach me. I joined up, too, and we worked out together.

I see. Say, Avan. What would you say to a similar arrangement with me?

Do you usually do much practice outside of class drills?

Some, but I'm alone, so it's limited to weight training and running. With two people, the possibilities open up considerably... Well?

Sign me up! That sounds great, man.

Heh, I thought you might be interested. I'll see you after class on the drill ground, then?

You bet! I'm looking forward to it.

I'm going to need to figure out how to record individual lines, because Alexis is one of the worst sounding people I have ever heard.

Last Free mission available, it's an enemy base capture in 3 turns. You guys aren't seeing it since I moved on to putting summaries for non-story mission, but these maps are recycled as loving hell. This is like a daylight version of the previous couple maps.

Also, we did like a dozen missions in the village we liberated, what the gently caress. That place is destroyed to pieces by now.

Oh wait, they slightly moved the enemy base objective to the left I guess.

Ugh, all aboard the train to Snoresville.

Dude, Avan. He can totally hear you!

What, me?! Er... Numbers, I guess. Your manpower and firepower.

Yes, but we are not so fortunate as to always have that advantage. As future officers, you all will someday lead hundreds, even thousands.

That is goddamn terrifying to think about.

At times, a commander must make hard and painful decisions in the field. And it will be you who bears the responsibility for your decisions.

Would you rather so into those decisions blindly, making it up as you so? Or know what those who came before you chose, and the results they saw?

Yeah, okay... I can see where you're coming from.

Excellent. Then I look forward to the results of your next exam.

Gah?! Oof... I'll try my best, Brixy...

Lotte Quest 1

I better hurry, before someone else gets the some idea!

Oof... Sorry, are you okay?

Owww... Dude! Watch where you're going, dude! You could have--

Phew, nope, camera's okay. That's a relief, anyway.

Oh, it's you, Lotte. What's got you running down the halls?

H-Hey, is that attitude?! YOU bumped into ME! I'll go public with this, dude! It'll be a scandal! Class Chair Attacks! Top story on the Lotte Insider!

The what?!

Dude! You don't know? The Lotte Insider is THE official source for all the latest on Lanseal!

Its intrepid writer-- that's me, dude--sets all the dirt, first!

Oh, riiight! Now I remember. That's the paper Zeri was talking about! "That vapid gossip rag," he called it.

Nice.

Oof, thanks, don't bother to sugarcoat it for me or anything, dude.

So, what's got an intrepid writer like you barreling down the halls?

I'm hot on the trail of my next big scoop, dude! Lanseal's Seven Wonders! I was going for the ghost in the gym next.

Seven Wonders? Since when is a ghost a wonder? Since when are ghosts even real?

Heh. Generations of cadets have told of paranormal phenomena numbering seven! I've spent my days here hard at work unraveling those mysteries.

Of course, the first four mysteries were sadly only hoaxes...

No, really?

But I know the last three will be scoops fit to stop presses all over Europa!

Wow, that actually sounds pretty fun! Mind if I tag along?

Ah! I was just thinking of expanding! Welcome aboard, my editor-in-chief!

Heh, thanks!

Wait, why am I editor- in-chief?

You're the class chair, dude. This way I can call in favors later. Now, let's hit the road! Truth waits for no man, dude!

What in the world did you get us into, Avan....

Nicol Quest 2

*gunshots fired*

Heh, It looks like I'm not the only one. Let's see...

*more shots fired*

Whoa! There are more bull's-eyes than not! That's insane!

...Phew.

Nichol, was that you? That's amazing, man!

What? No, I'm not that--

Don't even start with the modesty! Most folks can't shoot half that well.

Remember that Nicholas is statistically one of the worst Scout shooters

I used to knock acorns down with rocks as a kid. Maybe that's why.

Rocks? I never tried that! I always just climbed up and grabbed ‘em.

Climbed up? I've never... Hee hee.

Ah! There! You laughed just now! Ha ha! You should do it more often!

Y-Yes, sir...

I'm impressed, man. Not a lot of guys come down for more drills after class. You got some goal in mind? Do you need to make up credits or something?

*A moment passes*

Avan, do you know of the Lanseal Medal of Honor?

Umm, yeah. The headmaster gives that to folks who have excelled in combat.

That's right. It's awarded to elites who contribute to a squad's victory. I... I want to earn that decoration.

Wow, okay. I'm kind of surprised. You don't seem like the type. No offense!

Avan, you said "No offense" like half a dozen times now. Or maybe it's nothing, he's too boneheaded to actually insult.

Whoah, seriously?!

Yes. Her birthday is coming up, and I'd like to give that to her.

Man, you're kind of a Romeo under that shell. Very smooth, buddy! I'd always thought of you as more of the timid, nice guy type. That, and my mental image is of you setting railed on by your sister.

"No offense," my rear end

She doesn't do it to be cruel.

Well, she's still pretty freaky if you ask me.

But that's great, man. Keep it up, and I'm sure you'll get that medal!

Thank you, sir.

NEXT IS FINALLY THE STUPID LAEVATEIN CUP

Meet Class G: Alexis Hilden

Over-Analytical - Worrying about too many small details lowers firing accuracy and defense.
Daredevil - Raw instincts awaken when surrounded, raising attack power against armored targets and firing accuracy.
Vanguard - When taking the first action, their attack power against infantry target is raised.

Alexis is in some weird way the best scouting unit. Not including the fact that Armor Techs are the best defensive class in the game, his potentials give extra killing power against infantry when going first. The accuracy thing is a little weird and pointless since he'll never get access to a ranged weapon.

Lotte Netzel

City Kid - Standing on paved areas feels right at home, raising defense.
Chatterbox - Tends to get caught up in conversation, lowering firing accuracy.
Curious Mind - Easily distracted by other things of interest, lowering evasive skills.

Lotte is a Scout with more downside than upside, as her one benefit is upgrading from wet paper towel defense to dry paper towel...sometimes. The downside is lowering her ability to take advantage of rifle kills or survive counterattacks. There's like a lot better Scouts than her, honestly.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Lotte saying dude all the time makes me think of Prinnys.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

paragon1 posted:

I wish we had some loving prinnies in here, they'd improve everything. It's not like it can get sillier.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
More useful than engineers.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011
To be fair the weapon also have A suppression on top of Def drop. So its a tradeoff To kill defense heavy units quicker.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

I'm not exactly well versed in anime, but there is no way Alexis here isn't a lady. I'm guessing there are people who can point out the obvious signs, but the extremely dedicated personality is already taken by Reiner, there's got to be something else here. Now I'm really curious how terrible "his" voice clips are.

God I hope I'm way, way off on this.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

paragon1 posted:

I'm guessing it's their way of localizing the kansai accent.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

SSNeoman posted:

I'm guessing it's their way of localizing the kansai accent.

Is Gallia in general kansai or something because I menetioned this before, but everybody is talking like surfers. Dude, Yo, Sup except for the serious guys like Reiner and Zeri.

MoadDib
Apr 4, 2009

Tae posted:

Whoah, seriously?!

Yes. Her birthday is coming up, and I'd like to give that to her.

Man, you're kind of a Romeo under that shell. Very smooth, buddy! I'd always thought of you as more of the timid, nice guy type. That, and my mental image is of you getting railed on by your sister.

My anime senses are going off the charts. They're going the old implied incest route here aren't they.... :cry:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

MoadDib posted:

My anime senses are going off the charts. They're going the old implied incest route here aren't they.... :cry:
Yes.

Krumbsthumbs posted:

I'm not exactly well versed in anime, but there is no way Alexis here isn't a lady. I'm guessing there are people who can point out the obvious signs, but the extremely dedicated personality is already taken by Reiner, there's got to be something else here. Now I'm really curious how terrible "his" voice clips are.

Definitely yes.

Edit - I haven't played this.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The Laevatein Qualifiers

After many updates, we will finally go on with the story and non-lethally murder people to win that stupid cup. The map is a 3 area mission with the usual front/back camp gate interaction.

The objective is to defeat the Sniper commander, which is legitimately the hardest thing to do by far in the game. Ignoring the multiple tanks, layers of Shocktroopers, and hidden grass soldiers, this sniper will be the first introduction of paying attention to surprise attacks.

Zeri will be the only one for the backdoor group, because the camp is nearby to capture. Avan will hold the fort on the main base himself with his mountain of HP.

This mission also introduces base hopping, as you'll notice both immediate bases aren't gateways. There's a tank and a lot of soldiers between Avan and the front gateway base. Spoilers, it's a death trap even if you make it there.

Already getting pretty busy with Zeri getting gunned down by 3 enemy units. Fortunately the camp is at an odd spot where he only has to kill the guy next to the flag to capture the base.

Erik tags in and runs for the backdoor enemy camp gate, taking out a couple soldiers on the way.

Erik's going to camp for a bit to defend against any surprises of their own.

Backdoor path is open now, although there's still a few guys lying in wait. The sniper commander is sitting on the bottom right base, which is our next objective.

Meanwhile, Helmut and Franca are running to take control of the front gate base. Why? Just to show you something.

By the way, Snipers are by far the worst survival units in the game. Even a Scout would survive this grenade.

Turn 2 rolls around, and you can see the enemy didn't even bother taking my base. This is why I said don't bother hunting down star units, because the enemy never uses their turns well.

You see that bullshit on the right? Never, EVER go through the front camp gate in this game.

Zeri moves out towards the sniper, killing off a Shocktrooper on the way to make things safer for....

Lavinia who will carry Zeri along the way.

The APC will run over the sandbags to destroy cover and set up a pincer attack on the sniper. Why?

Because he will quite literally dodge every attack if attacked from the front. Believe me, my previous run was 14 CP of Zeri trying to land a single hit on the bastard by being real close.

Zeri gets out of the APC and captures the base so I can deploy another unit to take advantage of the pincer formation.

I got two Shocktroopers ready to combine fire. Go down!

:argh:

Let's try this again

Yes

YES

YES!!!!

I hate this mission

I should get like double money for doing it under the A rank limit.

That's the match. Winners: Class G!

It's like I'm dreaming. We actually won!

Woo hoo! We did it! Supreme victory!

Nice going, Avon! We made it through the prelims!

That was just a warm-up!

Class A put the slackers in Class C out in three minutes yesterday. Three.

You beat the guys we just fought in three minutes? No way...

Hmph! We've got ourselves a REAL commander.

She's going to be the head of the Everhart family. They're all geniuses.

There's no chance of anyone beating us with Juliana at the helm!

Listen carefully. Victory in war depends on an able-minded commander. Without a talented leader to guide them, soldiers are useless, wasted pawns. It's only in the hands of a master that those pawns are able to win victory.

Pawns?! How can you talk about your squad that way?

It's an apt metaphor. I'm certain your brother felt the same about his men.

No way! Not Leon...

I don't recall asking your opinion, Darcsen.

My name is Zeri.

And nothing more. Darcsens lost their last names because of their crimes. That you even presume to address me is an insult to the Everhart name!

Julianna is the best example of super racism still intact in North Gallia. She fights for a queen that's Darcsen, she fights in a war against people specifically hating Darcsen, and yet still strongly believes in the Calamity lie and puts down every blue-haired person she sees.

Class G was successful today because Avan brought each of our talents out. I sincerely doubt you could have done the some had you been in command.

How dare you! Mark my words. Darcsen. Try your best to stay afloat until you face us. I will personally relish the crippling, humiliating defeat I inflict upon you! *leaves*

Wow, man! I'm kind of surprised to hear you stick up for me.

Knowing we can't rely on you means we all have to scramble to compensate.

Just say "no problem" or something for once

What?! You snarky little jerk! *runs towards Zeri*

Guys! Come on we just won! Stop fighting!

Jesus christ. All right, time to head off into the actual tournament.

...That was the whole month?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lpJVV8vUKM

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
One match a month sounds like a terrible way to hold a tournament.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Really? No Yakety Sax?

Seaogre
Oct 10, 2012
Grimey Drawer
But their hair isn't even really blue! Even calling it navy would be a stretch. It's just anime black.

Even worse, I think there's actual black haired people in not Europe (like that creepy sneaking girl with the bow on her head), and I can never tell which is which.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Aiming at the feet of super dodgy baddies still works, doesn't it?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Ardeem posted:

Aiming at the feet of super dodgy baddies still works, doesn't it?

The enemy can dodge grenades (though the explosion still does some splashback damage).

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Tae posted:

The enemy can dodge grenades (though the explosion still does some splashback damage).

:psyduck:
Isn't that the whole loving point of grenades? gently caress dodges, gently caress sandbags, you're eating shrapnel?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

What a goddamn hero :911:

Also good lord Anisette has a horrible screechy voice. I don't think I would ever deploy her just so I wouldn't have to deal with listening to that.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Omobono posted:

Isn't that the whole loving point of grenades? gently caress dodges, gently caress sandbags, you're eating shrapnel?

You can dodge grenades, flamethrowers, and mortars in the original Valkyria Chronicles.

Needless to say it's aggravating when the enemy does it to you and ruins your A-Rank run.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Omobono posted:

dodging in these games is weird because it's not just a movement based thing

if you dodge, beyond just ducking out of the way, you also get a massive defense boost. So even if you aim at the ground and an enemy dodges right into your salvo, it'll still only scratch them

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Dodging in Valkyria Chronicles is really, really silly. We've not even seen the worst of it.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah, there's some things in these games that look really weird because in some ways it behaves like a top-down tactical game where that kind of thing is abstracted, but in others like a third person shooter.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

Dodging in Valkyria Chronicles is really, really silly. We've not even seen the worst of it.

There's nothing quite like an enemy suddenly jumping down to dodge a perfectly aimed 1000-yard sniper shot to the back of the neck, because it turns out you were in fact trying to assassinate Spider-Man.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Oh my God. I didn't even notice this, but they put a beautifully laid out star fort down at the bottom of a hill, with a ridge providing a perfect firing position into the middle of it? I think I need a crying Vauban smilie.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

At least the game the game is consistently good.

BioMe posted:

There's nothing quite like an enemy suddenly jumping down to dodge a perfectly aimed 1000-yard sniper shot to the back of the neck, because it turns out you were in fact trying to assassinate Spider-Man.
Should've thrown a brick. :v:

David Corbett posted:

Oh my God. I didn't even notice this, but they put a beautifully laid out star fort down at the bottom of a hill, with a ridge providing a perfect firing position into the middle of it? I think I need a crying Vauban smilie.
That bothers me as well. They can look at a picture of a fort and make as nice attempt of it in game but completely fail at even basic understanding of its purpose or function. :spergin:

Poil fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Apr 12, 2015

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
For the record, enemies cannot dodge if you get a surprise attack, either from the back or from grass. It generally means against bosses and lategame aces that you simply have to surprise them to kill them.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

So we're in March now. The game started in January, so it's been about 2 months with nothing happening outside of a single village being attacked. When exactly is this rebel thing supposed to happen

Oh, here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gDwrf0_dDE

"I'm not evil, I swear!"

That is really long hair, looks a bit unbalanced if walking.

HAHAHAHHAAHAHHAHAHA

If you had a shred of hope that the game had subtlety, cast aside it now.

If you don't remember, Townshend was the leading man in the Federation's attempt to kidnap Archduchess Cordelia. So not surprised he's taking a different approach to destabilize Gallia. At least the Empire was upfront in taking down the country.

Think nothing of it. The pleasure is mine to have been of service.

I pray our partnership will continue to thrive.

Watch your tongue, boy.

Hmph. What perfect Gallia can be built, except by the hands of her people? I do not know your intent in coming here, but I bid you leave Gallia at once!

Baldren! Stop this. The spark of revolution would have died long ago if not for Federation aid.

Do not think our successes this far have been your doing alone!

Rrgh...

Apologies, Ambassador. My son is in ill command of his tongue.

Not at all, good Count. I am certain he will one day lead the revolution. His proud bearing and fiery passion are virtues, both.

I am greatly relieved to hear you say it.

Now, with your leave. I'll be on my way. Until the next war council, Count. *leaves*

Audrey! Then you see no problem with this?! The Federation intends to use us to pull Gallia under its influence!

Without them, we lack the resources to continue the fight. We need simply to use them more thoroughly than they use us.

Just so. And what we need now are men of reason, not passion. Pragmatists. Learn from your sister's example and set used to dealing with the Feds.

...With your leave. *leaves*

Augh, that boy! I've no idea where he gets his damnable stubbornness.

His father, of course. From where I stand, you two make a fine pair.

You are excused, my dear.

*Audrey leaves*

Phew... Impossible as her brother, in her own right. Dirk. Collect Baldren and come to my chambers. I have orders for you.

HAHAHAHAHHAAHAHA

No, goddamnit. I don't need more classmates. I still haven't gotten through half the quests for my current ones :argh:

My name's Pete Stang. Like a mustang! Or a bee stang! Yeah!

Pete is a Shocktrooper, a guy from Avan's town, also has a pretty deep voice. I think he's supposed to be a guy that has a lack of height, not an actual young kid.

Armor Tech uniforms

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Dirk has wandered in from a different, probably better game.

(Out of all the stupid, stupid decisions that went into his design, my favorite has to be the helmet's "mouth" with clenched teeth. So very dumb.)

Seaogre
Oct 10, 2012
Grimey Drawer
T-those shoulder drills...! How does he get through doors?!

If the other two are the Count's kids, does that mean Dirk is his younger brother or something?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Oh hey my crystal ball is acting up again

quote:

You're the final boss who will insist to burn in the flame of his own glory. Possibly after being betrayed by the federation dude in some way.

quote:

You are the stalwart member of the villainous alliance who embraces their plans wholeheartedly, and despite sympathizing with the protagonist's causes, will proceed with scheduled ethnic cleansing. Alternatively, you will find the protagonists so charming that you respect their ideals, but you will nevertheless be forced to fall on your own sword.

quote:

You are the dumb muscle going "yes sir no sir three bags full sir" and will be the first to die, going down as a supposed martyr for your cause. Alternatively, you do not in fact like the villain's agenda, but you follow it nevertheless because the main villain was nice to you. Plot twist is that you're adopted and/or a Darcsen

quote:

You are going to be murdered by the alliance dude. There is no way that will not happen.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Anastasiya posted:

He drills through them of course, duh.

That is some seriously ridiculous character design. :cripes:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

quote:

Yeah "special" is one way to describe this guy. Think he got lost on his way to Warhammer.

Anastasiya posted:

He turns sideways and crouches, scuttling along like a crab. Its quite embarrassing really.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

I like Gilbert's sunglasses. They really add to his 'Poor Man's Gundam Villian' look.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Maybe he launches the drills like missiles against the heavens his enemies.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

baldren is voiced by liam o'brian, which is one of the game's redeeming features

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Jeez, people in this and the VC1 LP thread that finished recently weren't kidding when they said that this game went "full anime". :stare:
It's surprising how different this looks from its predecessor.

• Locked thread