Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Caros posted:

No he didn't. I think you'll find that as recently as 2014 Rand Paul has been on the record as saying that he has never said he was against the civil rights. It is in fact hilarious that he will continually attempt to walk back things that he is famous for having said on taped interviews.

r/politics seems to be on the Randwagon as of the past couple days with some of his more recent quotes that internet libertarians seem to love and any time his previous positions on the exact same subject are brought up it instantly devolves into a "well this is what he's saying now and it's good!!!" defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlairdon
Apr 15, 2003

If you can't stand up you can't do war!

Joementum posted:

The last photo taken of FDR was 70 years ago today.

He died the next day.

Man, he looked like poo poo at the end.

Here's also the last portrait of him, left unfinished because he died while sitting for it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unfinished_portrait_of_Franklin_D._Roosevelt

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Pohl posted:

Yeah, he was big into drug legislation. People that like him want to dismiss it, but I think he really believes the things he said about drugs.
Sure, he was the catalyst for gay marriage, but he has a lot of really horrible ideas on drugs.

Edit: his intentions are good at least, but his ideas are horrible.

In his defense, he grew up with an alcoholic father and saw first hand what substance abuse can do.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Two more hours.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

fknlo posted:

r/politics seems to be on the Randwagon as of the past couple days with some of his more recent quotes that internet libertarians seem to love and any time his previous positions on the exact same subject are brought up it instantly devolves into a "well this is what he's saying now and it's good!!!" defense.

Also, five minute rule, he's a loving coward who runs for the hills when he gets anything harder than a softball, etc. loving Reddit.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

I really enjoy ashton carter's attitude.

he's always like "...and?" in the most demurely technocratic way ever

what is this congressional function, i could be reading a paper right now

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Apr 12, 2015

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Also, five minute rule, he's a loving coward who runs for the hills when he gets anything harder than a softball, etc. loving Reddit.
The distance between the red and blue dots at the bottom of that graph is Tea_Party.txt

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the morning, "'We have this constitutional responsibility to review this agreement.' What a joke that is. That's not reasonable. They're out to stop peace. They're terrified that peace might break out." ~ Ron Paul, on Senators who want to review the Iran deal.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Joementum posted:

Quote of the morning, "'We have this constitutional responsibility to review this agreement.' What a joke that is. That's not reasonable. They're out to stop peace. They're terrified that peace might break out." ~ Ron Paul, on Senators who want to review the Iran deal.

Is this that Ron/Rand five-minute rule thing?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The only thing I actually like about Ron Paul and his son are that they seem to be at least pretty anti-war. So I think that's commendable at least.

I mean poo poo all on their other views but Ron Pauls pretty consistent from what I understand of not being pro war.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
Didn't see this and search yielded nothing:

quote:

“You look at the jihad that is being waged right now in Indiana and Arkansas, going after people of faith who respect the biblical teaching that marriage is the union of one man and one woman,” Cruz said.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmoGgziNTS0

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Is this that Ron/Rand five-minute rule thing?

Rand signed that letter.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Evil_Greven posted:

Didn't see this and search yielded nothing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmoGgziNTS0

Seems kind crass given that ISIL has targeted Iraqi Christians for execution, but then again it's not like he actually gives a poo poo about Christians, just American Conservatives.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Hollismason posted:

The only thing I actually like about Ron Paul and his son are that they seem to be at least pretty anti-war. So I think that's commendable at least.

I mean poo poo all on their other views but Ron Pauls pretty consistent from what I understand of not being pro war.

Ron Paul has been consistently anti-interventionism. His son really isn't.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Karnegal posted:

Why would JEB want Walker as a VP? He's too close to JEB on like every issue. I don't think he brings anything to the ticket.

Walker's a loving puppet who'll do what he's told by his masters.
He'll never contradict his owner.

Mitt may be a robot, but at least he has a functioning A.I. and autonomy.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 12, 2015

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

He's pro mercenary if I remember correctly. So instead of sending troops over we just send "private mercenaries" to do our bidding. States Rights, etc...

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I knew the sequence of events, but never actually did the timeline in my head. Gerald Ford went from MI-5 to the presidency in eight loving months without a vote. That's some Kevin Spacey poo poo.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

fknlo posted:

He's pro mercenary if I remember correctly. So instead of sending troops over we just send "private mercenaries" to do our bidding. States Rights, etc...

It was bad and explicit enough that back in 2008 goons wanted to know if Ron Paul played MGS4 and said " yes exactly this is how the military should work!"

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Aliquid posted:

I knew the sequence of events, but never actually did the timeline in my head. Gerald Ford went from MI-5 to the presidency in eight loving months without a vote. That's some Kevin Spacey poo poo.

House Minority leader, so he wasn't just another congressman. Still very impressive (even though it involved a lot of luck instead of machiavellian House of Cards stuff)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

fknlo posted:

He's also in favor of having states outlaw drugs, just not the federal government.

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010

Aliquid posted:

It took me a moment to realize you meant Michigan's 5th congressional district, and not the UK's secret service.

Unless...:monocle:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

computer parts posted:

He's also in favor of having states outlaw drugs, just not the federal government.

Well you see, this means he's pro pot and :hurr:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

If you find yourself at all agreeing with anything said by Rand Paul you are having a stroke and there is no alternative explanation. You may already be a vegetable in fact, you're imagining that you agreed.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Salvor_Hardin posted:

In his defense, he grew up with an alcoholic father and saw first hand what substance abuse can do.

That's about as logical as those people who had abusive parents who happened to have been gay and use that as a justification to spend their life fighting against LGBT rights. There's no logical connection between having an alcoholic father and wanting to jail pot smokers and hand out years long prison sentences to some club owner who had a patron selling MDMA in their club without them knowing.

I wouldn't even say his "intentions were good." His intentions were to destroy the lives of people who use drugs, those are not good intentions.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 12, 2015

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Just look at Rand Paul on the 538 graph. The difference between what he says and what he does is the most extreme.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Harry Truman couldn't make opening day of the baseball season 70 years ago today on account of getting a sudden promotion.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

What's the Democrat version of this look like, anyway?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Franco Potente posted:

It took me a moment to realize you meant Michigan's 5th congressional district, and not the UK's secret service.

Unless...:monocle:

The Manchester Candidate

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

What's the Democrat version of this look like, anyway?

Probably much less interesting since theres only one candidate

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Probably much less interesting since theres only one candidate
Including historical Dem candidates and presidents too, I mean.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

fknlo posted:

I've asked before, but could I have a source on this? If nothing else, to bludgeon idiot Paulbots who think he's "the only anti-war candidate" and crap.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I've asked before, but could I have a source on this? If nothing else, to bludgeon idiot Paulbots who think he's "the only anti-war candidate" and crap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSP9NteApqI

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Thanks! Now to delete that from my watch history so I don't get a deluge of "gently caress YEAH RON PAUL" videos in my recommended feed :barf:

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Karnegal posted:

Why would JEB want Walker as a VP? He's too close to JEB on like every issue. I don't think he brings anything to the ticket.

Because really the only thing a VP does is hurt you, they pretty much never bring anything to the ticket. Outside of things like Palin only wonks really give a poo poo about the VP.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Thanks! Now to delete that from my watch history so I don't get a deluge of "gently caress YEAH RON PAUL" videos in my recommended feed :barf:

Heh. Do you know what Something Awful has done to my Amazon page? I always forget that clicking on a random amazon link is going to bite me in the rear end.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

STAC Goat posted:

This is what's killing me. I've always been critical of police but in the sense that "there are good ones and bad ones and we need to pay attention so we don't let the bad ones get away with poo poo." But gently caress, this video. The horse chase with the 10 cops followed by their chief making excuses. The SC murder where the guy's partner is standing right there in the video. The way the NYPD responded to all the Garner poo poo. I'm very quickly getting to the point of "gently caress the police." If there are good cops than they're being corrupted and turned bad. If there are good cops left then stand the gently caress up and do something. Because every time I see one of these videos these days all I can notice are the OTHER cops standing around watching it happen and making zero effort to stop it or report the truth later.

It's easy to say this when it isn't your rear end on the line, in reality you'd probably shut up too rather than risk your family's safety ineffectually jumping on your sword. Or more likely just quit, like most do. The problem will be correcting by fixing the system, not by expecting the good ones to commit career suicide, because that doesn't actually change anything.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
There's tons of Ron Paul writing about Letters of Marque too, but you need to go to the video if you're arguing with Paulbots because their first line of defense is always to claim that he doesn't really believe any of the text that goes out over his name.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Pohl posted:

Heh. Do you know what Something Awful has done to my Amazon page? I always forget that clicking on a random amazon link is going to bite me in the rear end.

You can edit your viewing history as well as which purchases to use for recommendations on Amazon FYI.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

There's tons of Ron Paul writing about Letters of Marque too, but you need to go to the video if you're arguing with Paulbots because their first line of defense is always to claim that he doesn't really believe any of the text that goes out over his name.

They really are shifting the goalposts with Rand. Even poo poo that he's on video saying doesn't count as long as there's another video of him with the exact opposite opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

What would be awesome is finding two videos of Rand, where in one he has good ideas about A and bad ideas about B, and vice versa in the second. I would love to see the contortions to pick the good ideas out of both and pretend the bad ones don't count.

• Locked thread