Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

triplexpac posted:

A local camera store is having a lens sale. Anyone have any lenses to recommend around $500-ish?

I have a 5D classic and generally like shooting portraits outdoors. I do some studio shooting as well.

I'm looking at the Canon 85, just curious what else is recommended. I already have the cheapo 50mm so maybe a zoom would benefit me more than another prime?
35/2 IS, 85/1.8, 105/2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

evil_bunnY posted:

35/2 IS, 85/1.8, 105/2?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwRlt1XyOg0

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

And you fukken know it

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence.

evil_bunnY posted:

35/2 IS, 85/1.8, 105/2?

Do you mean the 100mm f/2?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I don't know if this is the best thread for this question, but I need my 5D3 sensor cleaned since there's a spot that I can't blow out. Would it be best to do it myself or send it in to Canon for them to do it?

Edit: Basically I'm afraid of loving it up entirely and having it to send it to Canon anyway, but this time for a repair.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

mrlego posted:

Do you mean the 100mm f/2?
Yeah

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

GrandpaPants posted:

I don't know if this is the best thread for this question, but I need my 5D3 sensor cleaned since there's a spot that I can't blow out. Would it be best to do it myself or send it in to Canon for them to do it?

Edit: Basically I'm afraid of loving it up entirely and having it to send it to Canon anyway, but this time for a repair.
It's pretty simple if not a pain in the rear end. You should probably read up and attempt it yourself. Not much you can really gently caress up if you're paying attention.

Then again I about wet myself in fear when I hear guys talking about replacing the iMac screen in the Mac Hardware thread so I understand where you're coming from if you'd rather just offload the hassle.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

TheEye posted:

I've been meeting with a few different wedding photographers for my upcoming wedding, and one of them uses a 6D along with the usual primes and zooms. This detail stuck out a bit, since the other Canon photographers I met all used a 5DIII. She specifically mentioned that she used to have a 5DIII too, until she switched to a 6D, preferring the lighter weight.

Is this something I should be concerned about at all, or is it a totally reasonable thing to do for a pro photographer who has to do a lot of moving around every weekend?

Do all of them only use one body? The old "two is one and one is none" rule for weddings is pretty significant. I'd much, much rather have someone carrying around a couple 6D's then a single 5D mark III with no backup.

PK-Fire
Sep 26, 2003
If anyone was thinking about getting a 7d mark ii, the kits on amazon are currently priced the same as the body only. This would give you a "free" EF-S 18-135 STM to use or sell. This places them well below the cheapest used price so it seems like a bit of a fluke if anyone wants to jump on it.

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

two shots of happy, one shot of sad

Soiled Meat
I'm looking for a new lens. I got a Canon Rebel EOS T5 as a gift with a standard kit of 18-55M and 75-300mm zoom lenses. I want to get a prime lens to experiment with and was pretty set on getting the EF 50mm F1.4USM until doing more research today.

I am interested in the 50mm after reading reviews that mentioned it as a versatile lens for travel and low light situations. However, I am worried that the field of view will be too small between the focal length and the APS-C sensor.

Basically, would a 50mm F/1.4 be a good match for my camera? Just trying to see if it actually stacks up as a practical lens to match up with a T5. If not, any recommendations? I'm looking to spend $300-$400.

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

50mm would be pretty long for a walkaround lens on APS-C. It's ideal for a portrait lens though. If you want impressive pictures of cats and children with blurred backgrounds you will get them from that lens on a crop sensor.

For that price I'd just get a better standard zoom than the 18-55. The tamron 17-50 is in the gear thread title for a reason, so look at that. If you want a prime, the canon 24 f/2.8 pancake may be good for a "moderate wide angle" similar to the field of view on a cameraphone. I don't think there are any good fast primes in the 35mm range you'd want for a standard prime though. Maybe I'm forgetting something.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I use a 550D.

The Tamron 17-50 F2.8 WITHOUT Vibration Compensation is good if you can get a cheap used one. even new its probably good value. I use this when I know I am going to shoot stuff that I can get close to, or need decent night quality. it will probably become my default lens and replace the below lens.

I have a Tamron 18-270 F3.5-5.6 w/VC that I use for my walking around like a dumb tourist lens who doesnt know what they expect to see or if they can get close enough to crap to shoot it with the proper lenses.

my 50 1.8 is my favorite lens in terms of pictures its taken, but it only gets used when I am definitely going to be shooting stuff I have room to move around and compose the shots properly.

I mostly shoot cars and do bush walking, so the 18-270 is good for the latter (landscapes, wildlife), the 17-50 is good for the former (up close/crowded areas, low light/indoor/night), and the 50 is good for when I take my car to a secluded spot and can freely move it, setup tripods, do super composed stuff.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
I will be going to Iceland sometime soon and I am considering to get an 85mm f/1.8 for my T2i because I hear it's an amazing lens. I know it's used mostly for portraits but I'll likely be walking around cities and the wilderness. How useful is the lens outside of portraits? Is it hard to use for landscapes when I might not have a lot of time to compose a shot?

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

GoldenNugget posted:

I will be going to Iceland sometime soon and I am considering to get an 85mm f/1.8 for my T2i because I hear it's an amazing lens. I know it's used mostly for portraits but I'll likely be walking around cities and the wilderness. How useful is the lens outside of portraits? Is it hard to use for landscapes when I might not have a lot of time to compose a shot?

That's a great lens in general, and it'll work well in Iceland. I tended to use long focal lengths for landscapes when I was there because there are no trees, so you can see cool features (volcanoes, glaciers, waterfalls) from very far away.

e: Your preferences will vary, but I took a FF body and a 70-300, a 35mm prime, and a 24mm prime to Iceland. I barely used my primes but I got a shitload of use out of the 70-300. Also there's only like one actual city in Iceland and it's small and boring compared to the rest of the country.

Bubbacub fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Apr 10, 2015

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
I think you're going to be very frustrated walking around a city with an 85mm on a crop sensor.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
If anyone has used both, is the 70D sensor the same as the 7Dii as far as high ISO performance goes? I'm reconsidering switching to another system, since the 7Dii I rented looks good enough at ISO 3200, and while having more than that would be nice, the 70D isn't that expensive and I wouldn't have to learn much in the way of new controls/pay more to convert lenses.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Graniteman posted:

50mm would be pretty long for a walkaround lens on APS-C. It's ideal for a portrait lens though. If you want impressive pictures of cats and children with blurred backgrounds you will get them from that lens on a crop sensor.

For that price I'd just get a better standard zoom than the 18-55. The tamron 17-50 is in the gear thread title for a reason, so look at that. If you want a prime, the canon 24 f/2.8 pancake may be good for a "moderate wide angle" similar to the field of view on a cameraphone. I don't think there are any good fast primes in the 35mm range you'd want for a standard prime though. Maybe I'm forgetting something.

Sigma 30mm f/1.4 wouldn't be bad, especially in low light, but the Tamron is the ideal walk around.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The Tamron zoom is amazing, and the perfect step up from the kit lens. It's much higher quality and faster, so it's a good step up.

I have the 40mm pancake, and it can be a little tight sometimes - especially indoors. Otherwise, well, I spent years walking around with the plastic 50, so the 40 was nice and wide by comparison. For these reasons, the 24 pancake would be good too - and it's available for less than $200, too.

Tl;dr the Tamron 17-50 NON VC is the kit lens plus, and the pancake primes are great and cheap too.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

There's also the Sigma 17-50 OS, which, as I understand it, loses a little bit of sharpness, but adds IS and doesn't have a loud-rear end focus motor. You can pick up the Tamron in "Very Good" condition on Amazon for $250 and the Sigma for $320 in "Like New" condition.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

annapacketstormaya posted:

If anyone has used both, is the 70D sensor the same as the 7Dii as far as high ISO performance goes? I'm reconsidering switching to another system, since the 7Dii I rented looks good enough at ISO 3200, and while having more than that would be nice, the 70D isn't that expensive and I wouldn't have to learn much in the way of new controls/pay more to convert lenses.

They're basically identical. Why do you have to convert lenses? They're both EF-S.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

totalnewbie posted:

Haha that require me to actually take pictures :v:

Just about a year ago, I asked this thread for advice on a camera and lens.

Ended up buying a 6D and a Sigma 35mm Prime.

Never posted a picture so here you are! Have a picture of a dog!

Lulu by totalnewbie1, on Flickr

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Graniteman posted:

Awesome 35mm prime? 35 f/2 IS.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Bubbacub posted:

They're basically identical. Why do you have to convert lenses? They're both EF-S.

I'm considering switching to Sony or Nikon for better low light performance, and I only have Sigma lenses anyway.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
My 24-105 IS f/4.0 seems to have developed zoom creep, and it's pretty annoying. I did what the internet suggested and slightly tightened the three screws under the focus rubber ring, but it didn't help (or helped very, very little.)

Oh, DorkroomHDR Hut, what do I do?

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

bolind posted:

My 24-105 IS f/4.0 seems to have developed zoom creep, and it's pretty annoying. I did what the internet suggested and slightly tightened the three screws under the focus rubber ring, but it didn't help (or helped very, very little.)

Oh, DorkroomHDR Hut, what do I do?

Go to target, go into the dollar aisle and buy a stretchy rubber bracelet (think livestrong type) and put it partly over the zoom ring and partly over the barrel. Or spend 10$ for the same thing marketed as a lensband for stopping zoom creep.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
I have an issue with the zoom rings on a 24-105 and a 70-200 IS II which have gotten quite a bit (2-3mm) of play before catching and actually operating the zoom. In the case of the 24-105, that problem has developed in about 2 months after buying. Are there any easily accessed screws to fix that or should I just send the lot to Canon?

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

annapacketstormaya posted:

I'm considering switching to Sony or Nikon for better low light performance, and I only have Sigma lenses anyway.

If you're after better low light performance, think about a 6D instead of a 70D. Going full frame makes a big difference.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Bubbacub posted:

If you're after better low light performance, think about a 6D instead of a 70D. Going full frame makes a big difference.

I don't really want to go back to only having one useful AF point. I don't know why Canon couldn't have at least put more than one cross type point in there. I also do use the flippy screen enough that I'd miss it.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

timrenzi574 posted:

Go to target, go into the dollar aisle and buy a stretchy rubber bracelet (think livestrong type) and put it partly over the zoom ring and partly over the barrel. Or spend 10$ for the same thing marketed as a lensband for stopping zoom creep.

Not really the answer I was looking for, but thanks nonetheless. Might as well make a habit of holding on to the zoom ring while shooting.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

bolind posted:

Not really the answer I was looking for, but thanks nonetheless. Might as well make a habit of holding on to the zoom ring while shooting.

Sorry man. It's a "thing" with that lens - they will always get loose and floppy over time. Probably you could have Canon replace all the barrel and zoom ring parts when it does, but that would get expensive quickly. At least it's not as bad as the 70-300 DO which I'm pretty sure could break your nose if you let go of the zoom ring with it pointed up at the sky.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
The rubber on my 5D3 is starting to peel around the top and bottom of the grip. Can anyone comment on how Canon Professional Services has been at fixing this? I'd feel stupid paying them to put glue there, but if they'll fix it for free during a clean & check or something like that I'll find a time to send it in so it doesn't get worse.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Chiming in to bitch about something falling off my Canon. The little round label fell off the mode dial on my <1year old 6D a few days ago. Superglued it back on with no problem, but just glad I saw when it fell off.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Chiming in to bitch about something falling off my Canon. The little round label fell off the mode dial on my <1year old 6D a few days ago. Superglued it back on with no problem, but just glad I saw when it fell off.

Hey, 60D too!

The superglue has also gotten into the lock mechanism and disabled it somehow.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

At least a dog didn't eat your nifty fifty.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Bubbacub posted:

At least a dog didn't eat your nifty fifty.

What do you expect after it just falls on the floor like a piece of food?

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

BetterLekNextTime posted:

This happened to me too, but I......don't think you're supposed to use superglue. You have to use a glue specifically for plastics as superglue combined with the sun/heat can eat plastic (thats what I heard anyway, maybe im wrong)

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

somnambulist posted:

This happened to me too, but I......don't think you're supposed to use superglue. You have to use a glue specifically for plastics as superglue combined with the sun/heat can eat plastic (thats what I heard anyway, maybe im wrong)

I think it's actually metal on the 6D, although can't remember what the internal part of the mode wheel was made out of. Hopefully I won't wake up with an eroded shell of a camera!

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
It's a braver man than me who attacks his SLR with super glue.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Plastic cement will eat certain plastics (its designed to soften the plastic to fuse together) but not seen or heard of super glue doing that.

plastic cement on styrene is pretty fun (do not breathe the fumes)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Hi, I am popping in to mention that I am selling a 5D, a Tamron SP 70-200MM F/2.8 DI VC USD and a Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 DI VC USD. Check it out - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3125105&pagenumber=217#post444168492