Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

The Notorious ZSB posted:

The biggest thing with the runway scene is that we see it as this continuous long shot, but you have to realistically assume that a lot of it is concurrent action. So it's still way too long, but not really as long as the run time in the film would make it out to be.

So while the fist fights are going on in the plane, the rest of the crew is outside trying to gun the wings and then it makes a modicum more sense. It's still impossibly long absurd but that helps a little for me anyway.

After contending with a goddamn spaceship and destroying half of downtown LA, suddenly the world's longest runway doesn't seem so ridiculous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

TheScott2K posted:

After contending with a goddamn spaceship and destroying half of downtown LA, suddenly the world's longest runway doesn't seem so ridiculous

Hell, after hauling that bank vault through downtown Rio in defiance of Physics and God; the world's longest runway seemed understated.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The nonsense nature of all the setups is part of the charm. Like they're trying to rob enough money in 5 to start over... So they plan a heist that uses millions of dollars in vehicles and equipment

If I recall correctly, the only expenses they had in 5 were buying the vault and presumably renting the warehouse where they practiced evading the cameras. All of the cars were either stolen, won in races, or property of the US Diplomatic Security Service.

Still, it would have made a lot more sense if they had kept the money from the first cash house and used it to fund the rest of the heist instead of lighting it on fire.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

If these movies did realistic poo poo, I would probably hate them.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Not gonna lie, the runway scene was part of why I was a tad bit disappointed with the drone scene in 7. For all the crazy explosions of the drone scene, ultimately it was rather straightforward and linear. The runway scene, though, was just full-out organized chaos, with seven or eight concurrent moving parts all jumbling together into one balls-out frenetic hot mess.

Four hero characters against four villain characters on board the plane itself, switching between combat pairings roughly every ten seconds. Four cars (with multiple characters in each car) squaring against each other on the runway, turns into six cars at one point, with characters jumping back and forth between cars and even between cars and plane. Every single one of the...thirteen? Fifteen including the pilots?...characters are engaged in some kind of pivotal action, every single thing they do creates some sort of ripple effect that affects every other player. That crowning instant near the end where all pieces on the board finally come together, where all three cars are linked to the plane dragging it down, was like the best checkmate moment in the most absurd game of speed chess I've ever seen.

I love big ensemble action, though. They're my biggest weakness. And...now I kinda wanna watch that sequence again. :shepface:

edit: Well, "chess" was one possible metaphor. Another tabletop board-game might be an even more fitting comparison...say, for instance...a fantasy tabletop board-game? :shepface:

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 10, 2015

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

BrianWilly posted:

Not gonna lie, the runway scene was part of why I was a tad bit disappointed with the drone scene in 7. For all the crazy explosions of the drone scene, ultimately it was rather straightforward and linear. The runway scene, though, was just full-out organized chaos, with seven or eight concurrent moving parts all jumbling together into one balls-out frenetic hot mess.

Lin said it took him a year to come up with that or something.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Cole posted:

those cars took like 8 minutes to go a quarter mile

I live my life a quarter mile at a time and for those 8 minutes or less I am alive.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

PaganGoatPants posted:

Lin said it took him a year to come up with that or something.

Justin Lin probably has the best Hot Wheels tracks

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

The Notorious ZSB posted:

The biggest thing with the runway scene is that we see it as this continuous long shot, but you have to realistically assume that a lot of it is concurrent action. So it's still way too long, but not really as long as the run time in the film would make it out to be.

Ayup

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Oh Christ my dick.

Part of me wishes this is the way they had shown it in the film (or in a DVD extra or something) just for effect.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Or it could have been a really long runway.

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010

Im so hard right now that never stops being amazing.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

just because someone made a video with quad-screens doesn't mean anything.

the first quarter mile in the series, a 10-15 second race even if you're in a stock Prius, lasted just over 2 minutes.

It is not outside the scope of realism that they made the runway scene the silly way that is more fun to imagine.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.

Cole posted:

just because someone made a video with quad-screens doesn't mean anything.

the first quarter mile in the series, a 10-15 second race even if you're in a stock Prius, lasted just over 2 minutes.

It is not outside the scope of realism that they made the runway scene the silly way that is more fun to imagine.

Really, after Fast 5 (how I love this series's constantly changing title system) ended with 2 Dodge Chargers dragging a vault that must have weighed something like 10 times as much as both cars combined across Rio while still going fast enough to outrun police cars, no one has any business expecting anything resembling realism from this series.

Anyway, I just saw this movie and while I liked the action and all the actors, the story felt a little thin even for a Fast and the Furious/Fast/Furious/Fast and Furious/X Fast X Furious movie. Surely they could have come up with a better justification for the Dubai heist than "oops, I sold the Macguffin to some rich guy."

However, going in knowing what happened to Paul Walker did add quite a bit of tension to some of the scenes. When the bus was going over the edge, I seriously expected that Brian might not make it. It helped that I had forgotten that the trailer had showed him jumping off the bus just in time. Whatever tricks they did with his brothers and CGI were good enough that I never noticed them, so that worked out pretty well.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Thank you so much for this gorgeous magic.

I'm also still sad they offed Giselle, esp seeing that Shaw is somehow not dead in this film, but it was required to make Han into the Han of Tokyo Drift.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

They should've CGI'd Gisele into all the Tokyo Drift scenes they used for Furious 7, and insisted she was just off screen the whole time in Tokyo Drift :colbert:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Honestly if Owen Shaw somehow survived 6 they should just bring Gisele back, hitting the tarmac at a high speed should probably be something an elite character in this world can survive.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Saw it last night and loved it. So many best parts, but a very simple thing that was refreshingly not a "twist" was Kurt Russell not betraying Dom when they retrieved the drive. No, oh I lied, rather just, here's some navy seals do what you want.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Saw it last night and loved it. So many best parts, but a very simple thing that was refreshingly not a "twist" was Kurt Russell not betraying Dom when they retrieved the drive. No, oh I lied, rather just, here's some navy seals do what you want.

The politics in this movie are pretty charming.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

That scene felt like it was gonna be a complete betrayal, so when it was a legit offer it was pretty cool.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

I'm kind of curious what the original storyline was. Rewatching it Sunday I noticed that whenever they talked about "missing the bullets", Paul was nothing but reaction and over the shoulder shots.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Since the film is breaking a billion dollars in three weeks, how many more of these do you think they're going to make?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Harlock posted:

Since the film is breaking a billion dollars in three weeks, how many more of these do you think they're going to make?

Vin already said Furious 7 started a new trilogy, so at least 2 more.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Got back from it. Tons to love but like someone earlier my favourite thing was Jason Statham and how he would just appear everywhere like the goddamn Nemesis from Resident Evil and start loving poo poo up with barely a word.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Re. the ending

I laughed my arse off when you saw Jason Statham being led into a cell by Hobbs after an exhausting 'sword' fight with Dom that ends with him falling several floors through a car park, trapped under some rubble, then the whole loving place is blown up and dumped on him. It reminded me of that Japanese film where the two leads were both big trashy DTV stars in their own right so putting them in the same film together was a huge deal that meant a straightforward he lives/he dies ending was out of the question, poo poo just had to get insane. Likewise here, no way we just kill off Jason Fuckin' Statham, even if he is the bad guy.

$800m in 12 days is kinda amazing. Who would have predicted this back when they first announced Fast 5 (which is still the high point, goddamn that's a brilliant film).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sentinel Red posted:

Re. the ending

I laughed my arse off when you saw Jason Statham being led into a cell by Hobbs after an exhausting 'sword' fight with Dom that ends with him falling several floors through a car park, trapped under some rubble, then the whole loving place is blown up and dumped on him. It reminded me of that Japanese film where the two leads were both big trashy DTV stars in their own right so putting them in the same film together was a huge deal that meant a straightforward he lives/he dies ending was out of the question, poo poo just had to get insane. Likewise here, no way we just kill off Jason Fuckin' Statham, even if he is the bad guy.

$800m in 12 days is kinda amazing. Who would have predicted this back when they first announced Fast 5 (which is still the high point, goddamn that's a brilliant film).

I hope he literally does just dig his way out of the superprison.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Jason Statham cannot be killed by conventional weapons.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The whole family is apparently invincible, seeing as his brother survived that whole plane thing in the last one.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

If Helen Mirren doesn't withstand a direct RPG hit in the next one it will be a failure.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Coffee And Pie posted:

Jason Statham cannot be killed by conventional weapons.

If you're not living your life by answering every question and solving every problem by thinking WWJSD, I don't know what to tell you.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I like how the movie is so over the top, you completely forget MINOR ridiculousness, like Vin lifting up the car and holding it for like ten minutes so Paul Walker could work under it.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Darko posted:

I like how the movie is so over the top, you completely forget MINOR ridiculousness, like Vin lifting up the car and holding it for like ten minutes so Paul Walker could work under it.

He just rolled a 20 on his strength check to do that, no big deal.

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009
I just want to point out how great the intro was. I wasn't paying much attention to time, but it couldn't have taken more than five minutes to introduce the villain and establish his motives, methods, & credibility as a threat, while at the same time perfectly capturing the slowly-escalating, hilariously over-the-top tone of the action scenes (and movie in general), without actually showing much of any action.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Chasiubao posted:

They should've CGI'd Gisele into all the Tokyo Drift scenes they used for Furious 7, and insisted she was just off screen the whole time in Tokyo Drift :colbert:

Giselle's dead by the time Tokyo Drift occurs, and that death kinda informs the aimless and pessimistic nature of where Han's philosophy has gone by then. He's still as chill and wry as he was in the prequels, but there's a lot of detachment there that 4-6 provide context for.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Jenny Angel posted:

Giselle's dead by the time Tokyo Drift occurs, and that death kinda informs the aimless and pessimistic nature of where Han's philosophy has gone by then. He's still as chill and wry as he was in the prequels, but there's a lot of detachment there that 4-6 provide context for.

He also has a garage full of cars and I always wondered where he got the money from. 5/6 fixed that.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Can we get a spinoff showing some cool adventures with Han and Giselle between 5 and 6?

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

SchwarzeKrieg posted:

I just want to point out how great the intro was. I wasn't paying much attention to time, but it couldn't have taken more than five minutes to introduce the villain and establish his motives, methods, & credibility as a threat, while at the same time perfectly capturing the slowly-escalating, hilariously over-the-top tone of the action scenes (and movie in general), without actually showing much of any action.

It was well done but the only 2 minor disappointments of the movie were that the biggest stunt didn't come at the end and top the plane scene from 6, and it was a bog standard family revenge plot. Was hoping for a more interesting background to Statham. Neither of these issues affected my enjoyment much though.

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!

Cole posted:

i have a hard time believing that the runway scene where the runway is like 36 miles wasn't done on purpose as a throwback to the first movie

I get that home media is dying and all, but after this many years it's telling that so few people bothered to listen to the commentary track by Justin Lin in which he plainly confirms "this is seven action scenes happening at the same time" without dwelling on it particularly (since it seems fairly obvious) such that we instead get people saying "the runway is the length of Europe haha this movie is stupid" or whatever without anyone correcting it. The multi-screen Youtube video has the right idea.

Besides, for Fast and Furious they always do sales where if you buy the Blu-Ray for $7.50 or $10 or whatever you get movie credit to see the new one in the theater. That's kind of like a free ticket, or in my case, a free upgrade to the moving seats (which for this movie are great).

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I hope Mia gets a bigger role again in the future movies, I always really liked her. Unlikely though.

Also I'll take more movies between 6 and 3, Han :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Daryl Surat posted:

I get that home media is dying and all, but after this many years it's telling that so few people bothered to listen to the commentary track by Justin Lin in which he plainly confirms "this is seven action scenes happening at the same time" without dwelling on it particularly (since it seems fairly obvious) such that we instead get people saying "the runway is the length of Europe haha this movie is stupid" or whatever without anyone correcting it.

The runway still seems crazy long even if you quarter the running time of the scene. That's fine, it's a loving Fast and Furious movie, but you still need to suspend disbelief (which you should).

• Locked thread