Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Incidentally, any way to modify the effectiveness of the air weapons (or accuracy or etc etc) in the DCG or does that take hex editing the .upk files?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I did a Gauss rush in my current beta 15 campaign, and it has been fantastic. Once they roll off the line, Gauss weapons are a huge upgrade to your tactical game. But the thing you might overlook is that Gauss tech is a really efficient strategic choice as well. You can essentially ignore all of the beam and pulse techs until they're convenient, because the Phoenix Coilguns and Quenchguns projects give you nice upgrade paths that don't require building whole new sets of gear. That saves a lot of resources that you can then devote to economy-boosting foundry projects like the resource collection improvements and the expensive aerospace projects.

My current campaign (on Normal) is at November 30. I've just cleared both alien bases today, and now I have full satellite coverage over the world. My air game has followed the path Phoenix Cannons → Coilguns (as fast as possible) → other Aerospace projects → Firestorms (of which I have two). Research loosely went Gauss → Captures → Improved Armor → Advanced Gauss → Psi → MECs → Firestorms → Power Armor. I have Aegis armor for everyone and a pair of MEC-1s with gear. Using the loot from my base assaults, I'm planning to get three more Firestorms, upgrade my MEC suits, and chop more MEC troopers. Then I'll pursue EMP cannons to get my economy going even faster.

I am playing with item repair disabled, so you probably won't do all this nearly as fast if you leave that on.

The Iron Rose posted:

Incidentally, any way to modify the effectiveness of the air weapons (or accuracy or etc etc) in the DCG or does that take hex editing the .upk files?

Try this.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Zoran posted:

I did a Gauss rush in my current beta 15 campaign, and it has been fantastic. Once they roll off the line, Gauss weapons are a huge upgrade to your tactical game. But the thing you might overlook is that Gauss tech is a really efficient strategic choice as well. You can essentially ignore all of the beam and pulse techs until they're convenient, because the Phoenix Coilguns and Quenchguns projects give you nice upgrade paths that don't require building whole new sets of gear. That saves a lot of resources that you can then devote to economy-boosting foundry projects like the resource collection improvements and the expensive aerospace projects.

My current campaign (on Normal) is at November 30. I've just cleared both alien bases today, and now I have full satellite coverage over the world. My air game has followed the path Phoenix Cannons → Coilguns (as fast as possible) → other Aerospace projects → Firestorms (of which I have two). Research loosely went Gauss → Captures → Improved Armor → Advanced Gauss → Psi → MECs → Firestorms → Power Armor. I have Aegis armor for everyone and a pair of MEC-1s with gear. Using the loot from my base assaults, I'm planning to get three more Firestorms, upgrade my MEC suits, and chop more MEC troopers. Then I'll pursue EMP cannons to get my economy going even faster.

I am playing with item repair disabled, so you probably won't do all this nearly as fast if you leave that on.

Try this.

Thanks!

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I've ragequit many a time, but this is the first time I've rage-deleted a game. Oops.

Friends in Low Places, lots of Thin Men, lots of acid, lots of seekers, lots of high % misses, lots of dead soldiers. It was pretty bad.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

The RNG in my campaign is giving me fits. Ive just missed *5* 70% shots, then a 90% shot, and then hit and crit on a 40% shot. It was a pretty nail-biting turn.
Edit: Ran the odds, that was a roughly 1 in 10,000 sequence.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I always enjoy running the odds of things like that just to add to my feeling of hard-done-byness. Reminding myself that it never happens the other way because, of course, I rarely go for >40% shots keeps me sane.

Apple2o
Mar 25, 2009

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 9 years!)

So is beta 15 stable and worth starting a campaign in or should I just stick to my 14 game?

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Apple2o posted:

So is beta 15 stable and worth starting a campaign in or should I just stick to my 14 game?

15B is more stable than any version of 14, but I'd wait on switching. The balance of the game is in an unknown territory right now where everything was overhauled and still needs testing, and it looks like converting a 15B game to 15C will cause a lot of issues with how much they are changing for it. Beat the game on 14 and come back when you want more.

Catts
Nov 3, 2011
Does anyone know how to access action bar overflows? Rift just got pushed off my medic's options :(

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Swap to pistol? Should knock off Steady and Suppression, if you have it, allowing 1-2 actions to show.

Catts
Nov 3, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

Swap to pistol? Should knock off Steady and Suppression, if you have it, allowing 1-2 actions to show.
Good idea, losing steady was enough to get it to show up again. Thanks :)

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
So, I'm playing my first long war game and doing the "friends in low places" mission.
I knew it would be different, but not that different. Holy poo poo, I'm on my 3rd restart. I think I have it this time, but loving hell, rushing packs of thin men, really?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
newfoundland is similarly fun

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Tollymain posted:

newfoundland is similarly fun

I got it. That felt good, even if I did have to do it 3 times.
Laser weapons are going to be rolling off the assembly line in a few days so hopefully nothing else goes south.
Heh, what am I talking about, the air war is going to kick my rear end.

Edit: Yeah, large UFO. Can I even take that on with normal fighters? I'm going to the store, so maybe someone will answer before I get back.

Edit: No, no I can't take out a large UFO with normal fighters.
And holy poo poo, Chang is an assault, which is a class I'm really lacking in. Thanks xcom!

Pohl fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Apr 12, 2015

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Pohl posted:

I got it. That felt good, even if I did have to do it 3 times.
Laser weapons are going to be rolling off the assembly line in a few days so hopefully nothing else goes south.
Heh, what am I talking about, the air war is going to kick my rear end.

Edit: Yeah, large UFO. Can I even take that on with normal fighters? I'm going to the store, so maybe someone will answer before I get back.

Edit: No, no I can't take out a large UFO with normal fighters.
And holy poo poo, Chang is an assault, which is a class I'm really lacking in. Thanks xcom!

Large UFOs are incredibly hard to take down for awhile, you're going to either wait for them to land or sit on your hands until they give you an abduction/terror mission.

Firestorms even have trouble with the larger Battleships and Carriers but generally are able to take out less well equipped supply ships and abductors.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Totally got my rear end kicked but backed out in time. Thanks. ^^^^

What exactly does it mean when I'm trying to buy a larger squad in the 'Officer Training School'?
I need a certain level [on a soldier], but what does that pertain to? I can't see how that relates to anything I'm doing. It is really confusing. What level are they talking about?

Edit: First mission with laser weapons. Here we go!!!!
Laser rifles are awesome. 'nough said.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Apr 12, 2015

Catts
Nov 3, 2011

Pohl posted:

Totally got my rear end kicked but backed out in time. Thanks. ^^^^

What exactly does it mean when I'm trying to buy a larger squad in the 'Officer Training School'?
I need a certain level [on a soldier], but what does that pertain to? I can't see how that relates to anything I'm doing. It is really confusing. What level are they talking about?

Edit: First mission with laser weapons. Here we go!!!!
Laser rifles are awesome. 'nough said.

You get two squad size upgrades through OTS which upgrade your normal mission loadout to 7 and 8 soldiers respectively. The rank number requirement you're seeing means total numbers of promotions across all soldiers, e.g. if you have all rookies and 5 LCPLs you'll have 10 total ranks.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Catts posted:

You get two squad size upgrades through OTS which upgrade your normal mission loadout to 7 and 8 soldiers respectively. The rank number requirement you're seeing means total numbers of promotions across all soldiers, e.g. if you have all rookies and 5 LCPLs you'll have 10 total ranks.

drat. I've got a lot of people ranking up since I've been spreading it around, but now I feel like I need to do math.
Now that I have lasers however, this should be easy.
Thanks.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

The best way I've found to do Friends in Low Places is to bring snipers and engineers and just level the graveyard around the starting area with sapper HE grenades. Turn it into a killing field and keep to the cover on the starting platform, make the thin men have to rush your position across no cover. Overwatch is for chumps unless you have opportunist, steady weapon instead to pick out thin men in heavy cover. Watch the wings and try to preemptively grenade the low cover on either side so they have nowhere to hide. Basically grenade all cover all the time.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Friends in Low Places tries to trick you with the side paths. Don't. Just go down the middle.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So I just got into this (though I was a huuge fan of the original games), and is it supposed to be hard to stay with cash enough for upgrades and facilities? I keep having to sell things, even unresearched, to just be somewhat ahead of the aliens on the difficulty curve.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
So first I edited my dgc.ini for various small changes, then I installed the red fog mod that stops red fog being linear, but unfortunately that broke commanders choice 2nd wave option.

Me being dumb I forgot it was standard long war and installed the mod for commanders choice instead. Now I have my choosing arrows back but they crash the game if I use them.

Any suggestions as to how I get it working again in conjunction with red fog? I might just Ignore it and keep playing rather than risk messing it up I suppose.

On a side note I've got some ini changes I'd recommend after playing for a while with b15

Raise alien alloys slightly, I think from 1.2 to 1.7 was the change I made, as I often find I'm shorter on those than anything bar meld.

Speaking of meld I accidently tripled the number after my previous run being meld starved massively, however devs had just doubled the number so ended up getting around 50 meld per can! Reset it back to whatever the default was and I still feel like it could do with being higher.

Changing the Sat nexus to provide 3 sats rather than 2 I've found allows a cluster of four nexus to run all ssts making base management easier.

Also upped power provided by reactors a little.

Honestly I feel a fun balance is had best by finding whatever your not happy with ingame and altering its number by about a quarter in the ini. I'm playing on classic difficulty at the moment and if something feels out of balance (example: alien alloys) then setting the ini to use whatever normal difficulty uses usually fixes it.

I also enabled arc thrower in pistol slot, appears to work flawlessly so far and given the mobility reduction in b15 its not too overpowered.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I just looked over the 15c change log, and it all seems good to me. They're toning down the difficulty almost across the board, but especially on Normal mode. As many cool features as V15 brought in, things are definitely skewed in the aliens' favour right now, especially late-game.

Is there any chance of that Non-Linear Red Fog mod ever making it into the mod officially? It seems like a far more reasonable effect.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Where's the changelog exactly again?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

The Iron Rose posted:

Where's the changelog exactly again?

Bug report thread on the nexus forums.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Dominic White posted:

I just looked over the 15c change log, and it all seems good to me. They're toning down the difficulty almost across the board, but especially on Normal mode. As many cool features as V15 brought in, things are definitely skewed in the aliens' favour right now, especially late-game.

Is there any chance of that Non-Linear Red Fog mod ever making it into the mod officially? It seems like a far more reasonable effect.

For anyone who was like me and didn't know where they were keeping the WIP 15c changelog, it's stickied here, but I have to agree that those changes look to be swinging things back towards a sane player/alien balance.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my long war experience with friends in low places basically was me immediately getting trapped in a corner of the map and having to shoot 90% of the spawns for the mission before i could move forward

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Has Beagle totally burned out on everything but his Tu/Th Night XCOM streams? I'm hankering for the next batch of Live & Impossible, but it's been a week and oh please, Beagle, don't give up hope :smith:

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

null_pointer posted:

Has Beagle totally burned out on everything but his Tu/Th Night XCOM streams? I'm hankering for the next batch of Live & Impossible, but it's been a week and oh please, Beagle, don't give up hope :smith:

I read somewhere that he was going to be delayed or away and wouldn't be able to post videos for awhile. He did say on Thursday that he would have videos up the next day, but yeah... nothing yet.
I doubt he is going to quit, I assume that he makes his living doing this, right?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

null_pointer posted:

Beagle was really having fun on the last Tuesday stream with the new campaign and seemed like he was enjoying himself Thursday as well. He mentioned that he had already finished a few L&I videos but was having difficulty converting and uploading them for whatever reason

Tollymain posted:

my long war experience with friends in low places basically was me immediately getting trapped in a corner of the map and having to shoot 90% of the spawns for the mission before i could move forward

Waiting for them to come to you is really the only way to do it, there are just too many thin men lurking out there and all the tombstone cover is one directional, meaning you'll get flanked and shot to pieces if you try to cross before killing everything.

A note for anyone wanting to do a b15 gauss rush: you *need* a foundry as soon as possible for the alien metallurgy and salvage projects, because you are going to need an absolute poo poo ton of alloy and fragments. Also having good RNG really helps because half my council requests give me money instead of scientists/engineers and half the UFOs I shoot at explode so I can't salvage them. Also Exalt can eat a box of dicks because their first hack is unstoppable and the jerks chose to set my gauss research back by *8* days. I'll probably be on ballistics until August at this rate, which is going to be terrifying.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Not a Step posted:

A note for anyone wanting to do a b15 gauss rush: you *need* a foundry as soon as possible for the alien metallurgy and salvage projects, because you are going to need an absolute poo poo ton of alloy and fragments.

Actually, you pretty much always need these ASAP now. The early game is really the only time you can afford to put resources into stuff that doesn't directly boost combat power, and the longer you go, the more you'll be starved for resources because you don't have those percentage boosts to salvage.

Also, from the 15c changelog:

quote:

- Minimum repair time for items corrected to intended 3 days instead of 3 hours.

Three days? Seriously? :saddowns:

On the other hand:

quote:

- Battle Rifle / Heavy Rifle series of weapons reworked. Compared to the assault rifle of the same tech, they offer +1 damage, -1 mobility and a -10 aim penalty after taking any non-turn-ending costly actions. Crit, base aim, and ammo are equivalent to assault rifle of the same class. They can be equipped by infantry, scouts, assaults, medics and engineers. (These values are subject to change). Some rifle costs lowered to be roughly on par with assault rifles of same tech level.

:getin:

Kenlon fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 12, 2015

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Gahhhh gangplank a week before I get gauss off the line. I have lasers but holy poo poo I'm save scumming this mission so much.

So many freaking cyberdisks jesus christ. I don't have mecs either and most of my guys are corporals.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Not a Step posted:

Beagle was really having fun on the last Tuesday stream with the new campaign and seemed like he was enjoying himself Thursday as well. He mentioned that he had already finished a few L&I videos but was having difficulty converting and uploading them for whatever reason

Waiting for them to come to you is really the only way to do it, there are just too many thin men lurking out there and all the tombstone cover is one directional, meaning you'll get flanked and shot to pieces if you try to cross before killing everything.

A note for anyone wanting to do a b15 gauss rush: you *need* a foundry as soon as possible for the alien metallurgy and salvage projects, because you are going to need an absolute poo poo ton of alloy and fragments. Also having good RNG really helps because half my council requests give me money instead of scientists/engineers and half the UFOs I shoot at explode so I can't salvage them. Also Exalt can eat a box of dicks because their first hack is unstoppable and the jerks chose to set my gauss research back by *8* days. I'll probably be on ballistics until August at this rate, which is going to be terrifying.

It's better to focus on getting 2 workshops, Foundry, and Repair Bay in a 2x2 before starting any Foundry projects. That gives a 30% reduction in cash and ALL materials vs collecting 20% more of one.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

amanasleep posted:

It's better to focus on getting 2 workshops, Foundry, and Repair Bay in a 2x2 before starting any Foundry projects. That gives a 30% reduction in cash and ALL materials vs collecting 20% more of one.

No it doesn't. Unless my game is bugged and/or I'm an idiot, workshops don't do jack to foundry project costs, only item production costs/refunds.

The Iron Rose posted:

Gahhhh gangplank a week before I get gauss off the line. I have lasers but holy poo poo I'm save scumming this mission so much.

So many freaking cyberdisks jesus christ. I don't have mecs either and most of my guys are corporals.

I'm not looking forward to fighting cyberdiscs with ballistics. At least I'll have alloy jacketed rounds.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
I've restarted gangplank about a dozen times now.

I'm playing with training roulette and have exactly one guy with HEAT, who is in hospital. I haven't even managed to make it past the first room yet. There's always a cyberdisk pod with about 6 drones, then 3 mutons or a bunch of mutons and floaters. Then thin men start dropping in behind me. Oh and crysalid drop ins to. I can't kill the cyberdisc in one turn even with shredder applied, and the drones heal it up if I try to whittle it down. with the lovely cover it takes out a soldier pretty much every turn unless I can land my disabling shot.

Any tips for this mission? I'm wondering if I'm just undergeared (using basic lasers with a couple suits of phalanx but no much else).

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Blisster posted:

I've restarted gangplank about a dozen times now.

I'm playing with training roulette and have exactly one guy with HEAT, who is in hospital. I haven't even managed to make it past the first room yet. There's always a cyberdisk pod with about 6 drones, then 3 mutons or a bunch of mutons and floaters. Then thin men start dropping in behind me. Oh and crysalid drop ins to. I can't kill the cyberdisc in one turn even with shredder applied, and the drones heal it up if I try to whittle it down. with the lovely cover it takes out a soldier pretty much every turn unless I can land my disabling shot.

Any tips for this mission? I'm wondering if I'm just undergeared (using basic lasers with a couple suits of phalanx but no much else).

i had to restart that first room near a dozen times, because I knew if I played it ironman I'd be hosed. I also had basic lasers and phalanx suits, and for most of the mission I kept my assault back at the dropzone to take out enemies creeping from behind. A laser cannon equipped assault should be able to down a crysalid in one turn, and can certainly deal with the thin men and sectoids that do as well.

For the first room...

I really hope you have 8 guys with lasers. I'm usually able to take down the cyberdisk in one turn though, via shredding it and using rockets and soldiers with HEAT Ammo liberally.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Not a Step posted:

No it doesn't. Unless my game is bugged and/or I'm an idiot, workshops don't do jack to foundry project costs, only item production costs/refunds.

Sorry, I meant that if you want to maximize your alloys, you are better off spending 450 cash on 2 Workshops and Repair Bay (which you were probably going to build anyway) because it reduces cash costs for equipment, armor, weapons, etc. by 30% and gives a 30% rebate on Alloys and Elerium while the Alien Metallurgy project costs 300 cash, 30 Alloys, 10 Elerium, and 100 meld to give you a 20% bonus of just alloys on collection. Just to recoup the 30 Alloys that AM costs you need to recover 150 alloys just to break even. Workshops cost cash only.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

What a great map. This was before I even took a turn.

Of course, I finished the mission just fine and my game froze up on the plane ride home. That seems to keep happening. I guess I will go replay it.
Juliette is a freaking monster. You go girl!

Pohl fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Apr 13, 2015

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Any tips on which class to spec recruits with different stats?

So far, I've leaned towards making high-move guys rocket and grenadiers, and high-aim guys snipers and infantry. How should I spec high will? Are there classes where low defense is a deal killer? Are there certain builds that need different stats from what is typical for the class?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

Kenlon posted:

On the other hand:

quote:

- Battle Rifle / Heavy Rifle series of weapons reworked. Compared to the assault rifle of the same tech, they offer +1 damage, -1 mobility and a -10 aim penalty after taking any non-turn-ending costly actions. Crit, base aim, and ammo are equivalent to assault rifle of the same class. They can be equipped by infantry, scouts, assaults, medics and engineers. (These values are subject to change). Some rifle costs lowered to be roughly on par with assault rifles of same tech level.
:getin:
At first I thought, "Isn't this a net loss compared to current stats in 15b? It's a +2 aim gain, but the heavy rifles lose -1 ammo and -5% crit." Then I saw the bolded part and realized that it's a Snap Shot type thing and they don't have a penalty when firing without moving. It'll be a killer boost to Infantry and any troops that Steady Weapon before firing; probably decently useful on Rapid Reaction scouts if they don't move? Have they said if the penalty applies to Overwatch after moving?

• Locked thread