Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Actually I lied. There is one section in my city where it's too steep for a dirt road:

World's worst commute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Hikaki posted:

It actually goes down according to the blurb about it in-game. Can't commit crimes when you're passed out on the couch.

Alternatively, a whole lot of 'crime' that was going on in your town was just folks selling weed. The increased Police budget I'm going to rationalize as the legal fees and administration required to keep bags of pot from crossing district lines.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Justin Godscock posted:

The only downside is you get annoying tweets from the stoners in your city.
Just like in real life!

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

SynthOrange posted:

World's worst commute.

The bad news is that you have to drive up this sheer cliff face every morning. Actually the really bad news is that your office building might just slide off the face of the cliff. Of course the worst news is that if it does it's going to land on your house. Welcome aboard!

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Somebody tell me if I'm doing mass transit right:

Basically I have a bunch of bus routes in my residential area, each of which has a stop as close to a metro station as possible. Then the subway is connected in a big loop that hits all the stops.

The plan tomorrow is to set up a similar system in my commercial/office area, then have a third subway line that just goes back and forth between them. So someone could theoretically go to the nearest bus stop, get off at a metro station, swap subway lines once or twice, and be at work/shopping without having to touch their car.

I can't wait to see how I cock this up. :negative:

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

It might not be too terrible but I've certainly created plenty of functional* traffic sins. This is one of the main arteries of a 50,000 cim city.

From above:

This game is too fun.

*with traffic light toggle mod

Raskolnikov fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Apr 12, 2015

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

PSA for Mac users - if your growable mods aren't working, open a ticket and they'll give you a key for the beta, where this known bug has been resolved.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Justin Godscock posted:

I bought this game earlier this week and, holy poo poo, as a hardcore classic Sim City fan this is the poo poo and anybody who was a fan of those games and hated Sim City 2013 ("EA is bad" and online issues aside the mechanics were not done well at all) this game takes what Maxis was TRYING to do and got them so very right.

I've just unlocked the dense R/C/I zones just now and I have some pieces of advice for anyone early on (I bombed my first city and doing very well the second time around).

1. Drop all budget spending to 50% for ALL departments when starting and raise whenever citizens bitch to understand where utilities are at
2. Legalize weed :420: ASAP as City Policy because the game says police spending and crime will go up but it never happened for me (I got one police station for my whole city and crime is low and my revenue is steady) and you'll rake in the cash. The only downside is you get annoying tweets from the stoners in your city.
3. When upgrading a power plant (unlocking a gas one while running a coal one early on) don't forget to demolish the previous plant because the new plant can take it all.

If you're trying to maximize your cash, there are a few policies that more than pay for themselves. Off the top of my head, high-tech housing, big/small business benefactor, parks & recreation, and legalizing drugs.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

GrossMurpel posted:

Can't you just get rid of your landfills if you can afford it? I thought trash incinerators also collected on their own.

If you can afford it, sure. My point was that you probably need fewer incinerators than you do garbage collection points, so you can build an incinerator 'bank' and use landfills as cheap 'virtual' incinerators if you're trying to actually be monetarily efficient (not that the game demands it).

Its weird to me, but it feels like the game gets easier as you build a larger city, rather than feeling like the number of spinning plates just keeps going up.once you hut 20-30k it feels like the city just runs itself.

Renounced
Nov 8, 2005

POSTING ON THE INTERNET

Hubis posted:

If you can afford it, sure. My point was that you probably need fewer incinerators than you do garbage collection points, so you can build an incinerator 'bank' and use landfills as cheap 'virtual' incinerators if you're trying to actually be monetarily efficient (not that the game demands it).

Its weird to me, but it feels like the game gets easier as you build a larger city, rather than feeling like the number of spinning plates just keeps going up.once you hut 20-30k it feels like the city just runs itself.

It's definitely easier the bigger city you get. I've had a lot more fun just using unlimited money, honestly, just to skip the initial "waiting around for cash simulator". And I've found it's not a great idea to put all your incinerators in one place, as the garbage trucks will be very sensitive to traffic jams and you might end up losing entire towns to garbage problems. Just try to lead a road off somewhere quiet and plop an incinerator down (or put it on an islet if you got them). Incinerators also provide more garbage trucks than landfills do, so you'll get more coverage with an incinerator; I think it's 27 trucks vs 10.

You can spot a few I've done it with in this shot:

And bonus shots from both ends of the cities.

A word of caution using the Powatan Valley map though, is that poop will just sort of forever float out in the bay, and once you expand out to it, you'll have to deal with it somehow...

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
I like that CO basically enabled Superfund sites without realizing it.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

Curvature of Earth posted:

Well, it happened. Someone found a way to unlock the entire map for citybuilding.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=422554572

Enjoy your :siren:81 tiles:siren: of city.
25 tiles unlocked causes my 4790k to cry. I can only imagine the havoc this would cause

suddenlyissoon fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Apr 12, 2015

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Renounced posted:

A word of caution using the Powatan Valley map though, is that poop will just sort of forever float out in the bay, and once you expand out to it, you'll have to deal with it somehow...

Yeah I found this out the hard way as I've posted earlier. And I started on the bay so it's even worse. My ongoing solution has been using dykes harness the power of the rivers flow. It's going...well, it's going anyway.

Renounced
Nov 8, 2005

POSTING ON THE INTERNET

Longbaugh01 posted:

Yeah I found this out the hard way as I've posted earlier. And I started on the bay so it's even worse. My ongoing solution has been using dykes harness the power of the rivers flow. It's going...well, it's going anyway.

Oh sorry, I missed that post. My solution, in addition to what was shown above, was build two nuclear reactors to use the water and send all the poop to them with those pumps in the picture. I eventually had to relocated them since the poo water stopped getting sucked up, but it did eventually get cleaned up.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Renounced posted:

Oh sorry, I missed that post. My solution, in addition to what was shown above, was build two nuclear reactors to use the water and send all the poop to them with those pumps in the picture. I eventually had to relocated them since the poo water stopped getting sucked up, but it did eventually get cleaned up.

I vaguely remember someone posting that they 'fixed' poop water by putting some intake pumps to suck it up but not actually connecting those pumps to their city water lines and it 'magically' cleaned the poop water.

Is it just me or does it seem kind of weird that you can go full 'green' for power but there's no real way to avoid poopwater? I want a magical utopia city. :saddowns:

Also, solar farms are the bomb. When I unlocked them I had enough cash on hand to plop 4 down, bulldoze all my other power inputs and still be at something like 250/714 megawatt or whatever :science:

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 12, 2015

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

You can avoid problems with water pollution by only using water towers. Just place them in on clean ground and don't let dirty buildings get near them.
The disadvantage of water towers is they're a worse economy, higher cost per gallon pumped.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
Building the eden project gets rids of all water pollution and most ground pollution. If you dont want to worry about services and poo poo, the monument pieces are cheat pieces that take care of that.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

nielsm posted:

You can avoid problems with water pollution by only using water towers. Just place them in on clean ground and don't let dirty buildings get near them.
The disadvantage of water towers is they're a worse economy, higher cost per gallon pumped.

Even if you're using water towers you still need sewage outlets though, right? I mean the poop has to go somewhere...

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Depending on how the water inflow and outflow is situated and the amounts, sufficiently distributed water treatment plants can get diluted back to clean not far downstream of where they are placed.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Does anyone run this on a MacBook Pro? I'm considering getting one with my tax return, and hoping that it could run thks game cause I already have it purchased and my Dell can't really run it.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008
In my first city, I've finally managed to reach 7500 people and unlock dense pretty much everything. Is it viable to save up a bunch of money, then tear down the whole town and rebuild it? Or should I abandon it and use the lessons I've learned to guide my foresight on the next one?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Royal W posted:

In my first city, I've finally managed to reach 7500 people and unlock dense pretty much everything. Is it viable to save up a bunch of money, then tear down the whole town and rebuild it? Or should I abandon it and use the lessons I've learned to guide my foresight on the next one?

Pretty much everything can be 'fixed' in the same city. I ended up de-zoning all my low-density residential to swap to high-density in mine. Just do it over time, a block or two at once. I got impatient at around 19k pop, re-zoned the last 2.3 of my residential at once and my pop dropped to ~16k before it stabilized and began increasing again. :eng99:

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to get the courthouse and tough city achievement? I have a large city of 150k and I cannot get above 20% crime because everybody just leaves.

I am also suffering from absolutely 0 demand in all categories. I got 50% unemployment without even trying. I have lots of zoned but unused industrial, Office, and residential, but nobody is building anything. My happiness is still at 88% though, so those people don't appear to mind not having jobs. I tried lowering residential taxes to 0 but that didn't get more people in either.

Renounced
Nov 8, 2005

POSTING ON THE INTERNET

Nondescript Van posted:

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to get the courthouse and tough city achievement? I have a large city of 150k and I cannot get above 20% crime because everybody just leaves.

I am also suffering from absolutely 0 demand in all categories. I got 50% unemployment without even trying. I have lots of zoned but unused industrial, Office, and residential, but nobody is building anything. My happiness is still at 88% though, so those people don't appear to mind not having jobs. I tried lowering residential taxes to 0 but that didn't get more people in either.

The demand freeze can be attributed to lack of city services or un-upgraded buildings (city services influences upgrade level). This includes education as well. Try throwing down some parks to bring leisure coverage up or adding mass transit options to a town and see where it gets you, then try education. Just give the game a minute or two (literally) and see if anything starts moving up.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Renounced posted:

The demand freeze can be attributed to lack of city services or un-upgraded buildings (city services influences upgrade level). This includes education as well. Try throwing down some parks to bring leisure coverage up or adding mass transit options to a town and see where it gets you, then try education. Just give the game a minute or two (literally) and see if anything starts moving up.

This would explain why I had no Commercial demand for in-game years, then as soon as I had enough money to upgrade my fire station coverage my RCI started climbing like a motherfucker.

Now that I have a pop of 32k and 15-20k coming in per week and I am just spamming all sorts of services, buses metros schools and the city loving loves it.

When/if you convert your Residential from low density to high though the demand for it is going to tank for a long while. Dense Residential holds a fuckton of people in the same space. Used to be my residential block was twice the size of the rest of my city, now it's maybe half in comparison.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Nondescript Van posted:

Tough City Achievo Guide
- Get high density zoning - THE KEY TO HIGH CRIME
- No Police coverage at all
- Have fire coverage despite it lowering crime (ash pits means less people to commit crimes)
- Avoid abandonment and low demand by providing healthcare, limited education, parks, deathcare, etc. None of these reduce the crime rate as far as I can tell.

I nearly had 50% crime rate by the end.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Johnny Truant posted:

Does anyone run this on a MacBook Pro? I'm considering getting one with my tax return, and hoping that it could run thks game cause I already have it purchased and my Dell can't really run it.

I run it on this

And it works well

este
Feb 17, 2004

Boing!
Dinosaur Gum

Johnny Truant posted:

Mine runs it fine - the fans are screaming the whole time, but performance is totally acceptable.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
It always amazes how many people just zone a bunch a poo poo at a time, not that that's wrong or anything, and maybe it's from playing so much SC4, but I'm not sure I'll ever break the habit of only zoning what seems to be in demand and only what I'm ready for service-wise.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
how multithreaded does C:S get? I'm wondering if throwing cores at it will make run better than having higher IPC cores since I get acceptable performance up to 80k pop or so with a first gen 1.8GHz i7 and it seems like people with much newer dual core computers start choking earlier

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Renounced posted:

Every area has leisure in the blue and I have subways and bus routes covering every area.

Now that you mention education I'm guessing it has to do with the hadron collider providing education for all, so i demolished all other schools to save on costs. Maybe placing them but turning them off is a better solution.

Barn Owl
Oct 29, 2005
"text"

Drogadon posted:

I run it on this

And it works well

Do you know how to get higher resolution I have a Retina and I can only select 900p

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I think what I did was change it to windowed, set it to 1080p and then back to FS.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

rscott posted:

how multithreaded does C:S get? I'm wondering if throwing cores at it will make run better than having higher IPC cores since I get acceptable performance up to 80k pop or so with a first gen 1.8GHz i7 and it seems like people with much newer dual core computers start choking earlier

It eats up all 4 cores of my old Core 2 Quad. It seems they multithreaded the simulation properly, so almost any combination of more threads and more speed will improve performance.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
If you're trying to unlock the courthouse in addition to restricting jobs, try the pet and smoking ban. Drove my crime rate from ~49% to over 70% almost instantly.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

If you ban cats and smokes you're gonna whip up a real shitstorm in Sunnyvale

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Drogadon posted:

I run it on this

And it works well

Awesome possum, thanks!

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Johnny Truant posted:

Awesome possum, thanks!

A discrete graphics card is pretty much required - I've got a 13" with only Iris graphics and it's chunk-town.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Longbaugh01 posted:

It always amazes how many people just zone a bunch a poo poo at a time, not that that's wrong or anything, and maybe it's from playing so much SC4, but I'm not sure I'll ever break the habit of only zoning what seems to be in demand and only what I'm ready for service-wise.

I'll do it when I get impatient if I'm slowly converting stuff, but yeah doing it slowly seems like the 'better' way.

Also I've read that zoning huge swaths at once can result in mass die-offs since apparently every cim lives the exact same length and age is measured from the moment a cim moves in? That's second-hand though, may be bunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Bel Monte posted:

Tough City Achievo Guide
- Get high density zoning - THE KEY TO HIGH CRIME
- No Police coverage at all
- Have fire coverage despite it lowering crime (ash pits means less people to commit crimes)
- Avoid abandonment and low demand by providing healthcare, limited education, parks, deathcare, etc. None of these reduce the crime rate as far as I can tell.

I nearly had 50% crime rate by the end.

I was able to unlock it without high density zones and 0 fire coverage. You need to keep deathcare, garbage, and water running, but turn off everything else.