Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

blue squares posted:

So I need to choose among 3 games. I can buy them all, but I probably don't want to. Also, I haven't played a video game in six months or so, so whichever I pick will probably take me a while to finish.

Stick of Truth $14
rear end.Creed Unity $35
Farcry 4 $35

I love open world games, I love RPGs. I really enjoyed the previous Assassin Creed games. Farcry 3 was fun but very repetitive and I got bored after 10 hours or so.

I haven't played Assassin's Creed or Far Cry, but I'm currently about halfway through Stick of Truth. It's a steal at $14. I haven't laughed harder at a game, and it really is like playing an episode of the show (as Fart of Presto mentioned). The difficulty level is almost non-existent, but I think it makes it more enjoyable, as you can go around finding all the Easter eggs and listening to the dialogue without being pissed off at frustrating difficulty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I haven't updated in ages.

Nulled: Watch_Dogs. Doesn't do anything wrong, but manages to be totally generic and soulless.

Nulled: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter. Reviewers wanked themselves silly over this but I don't see it. Beautiful and atmospheric, no doubt, but the puzzles just seem to the 'hunt the object' followed by a common sense 'put the things in order'. The one puzzle with the house was cool, though.

Beat: Sniper Elite 3. Did this on Sniper Elite difficulty with no quicksaving. A game that manages to make being spotted a very bad thing but giving you a chance to deal with it, which I love. In one mission, I managed to alert the whole place, thought I was done for, but thanks to a good location and some of the best play I've pulled out on a shooter, I somehow survived. Shooting is so, so satisfying, the levels offer many options and it ran brilliantly. Great game.

I've really moved away from buying game after game that you can 'do' in one pass, here's my now huge list of 'ongoing' games.

Football Manager 2015 - Time logged: 20 hours. I cracked and bought this, it's the best version I've played and zips along at a fair pace. I can do 4 matches in an hour instead of the two of FM12. I am in my first season, 2034/35 with Nottingham Forest and have just qualified for the Champions League with a highly unlikely win over QPR. As a bonus, for some reason this year I'm loving over the game with matches where they dominate but I score with my one chance as much as it happens the other way around.

Crusader Kings 2 Time logged: 5 hours. Bought this ages ago and bounced off it twice, I’m truly making a great effort with it this time. I ‘get’ the mechanics but the business of taking over lands with marriage and plots rather than fighting hurts my head and I stress when my guy loses land. I’m going to start an Ireland game tonight with a lowly count so I can just mess about and hopefully get some good stories. Sucks when your gregarious, tactician king dies and his naïve, shy son takes the throne.

Euro Truck Simulator 2 - Time logged: 20 hours. Still on with this and awaiting the Scandinavia DLC and the ProMods patch when that comes, which will add Iceland and the Faroes among many other places to the map. Shame ProMods and TSM don’t play together, otherwise I could have a Reykjavik-Cairo job.

Sunless Sea – Time logged 30 hours. This is a great little game, if grindy after a while. Looking forward when the Zubmariner DLC and hopefully a lot more stories flesh out the world some more.

NEO: Scavenger – Time logged: 10 hours. This is a proper survival game, really tough. I haven’t actually played it since it hit 1.0 so I should probably go back.

FTL – Time logged – 80 hours. Still have half the ships to unlock but haven’t played for a while.

Kerbal Space Program - Time logged: 105 hours. One of the best games ever. I got a little tired of my final beta save, though I can always go back to it since it’s the best I’ve done and 0.90 needs a little balancing. It’s always a problem with Early Access games done as well as KSP that a better experience is never far away so I don’t want to jump back in until I’m desperate. Waiting for 1.0.

Prison Architect – Time logged: 10 hours. This was a fun little distraction when I played it and it now looks to be a full on monster of a management sim. Just holding off for 1.0, this looks great.

Assetto Corsa – Time logged: 45 hours. I don’t race anyone else, I just time trial the cars against each other because the driving is so good. With the new cars and Nordschleife finally out as DLC and high quality mods coming reasonably thick and fast, I’ll come back to this soon.

XCOM: Enemy Within/Long War – Time logged: 80 hours. It feels unfair to not put Long War in the title as it changes and improves so much of this already utterly brilliant game. It ramps up the difficulty to the point that I’m going to edit the .ini file before my next assault on it to make it slightly less crushing. Thankfully, the devs are kind enough to encourage players to do so with a lavishly commented .ini file. Once the proper b15 is out a team comprising of something like my sister-in-law, my boss, my cousin, Ezio Auditore and Heihachi Mishima will be springing into action.

All of those games could be played for several times what I have, easily. I tend to have ~75 hours of gaming time a month so it’s a tough choice. To make things worse Grand Theft Auto 5 might come out one day, Cities Skylines keeps tempting me, Just Cause 3 is on the way, as is Metal Gear Solid 5 and I could be swayed by The Witcher 3, Life is Strange and Frozen Cortex.

Computer games. Bloody hell.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
Beat- Divinity: Dragon Commander
The game had its quirks (and problems), but I liked it. Eventually got the hang of the RTS gameplay, and the politics and dragon-ing were entertaining in their own right. The last act felt kind of tacked-on, and some of the subplots in the campaign seemed to end abruptly. On the advice of a guide, I built up a store of gold and research points before starting each new act, which helped me steamroll decisively, but methodically through the game. Not a bad experience, though it didn't quite live up to my expectations from the promotional materil

Started- Divine Divinity
This one might be a bit too dated for me. I want to like this one, but I'm probably going to kick it back into the backlog for now.

Playing- Risk of Rain
Starting to grow on me some more. Still have to try this one with a gamepad as recommended, but I'm having more fun with it than I did at first.

Playing- Don't Starve
Eh. Got a little further in this than I have before (got bored quickly in my first attempts) but I don't know if this one can hold my interest. The combination of permadeath with grinding for crafting resources and food just seems too infuriating. On the verge of nulling this one I think.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Beating a long game and then beating short games is like being launched out of a slingshot. Here's a bunch at once!!

BEATEN: Mighty Switch Force 2 - So this has been half-completed forever, basically, but with just 6 stages to go I decided to muscle through it. It really tests your patience by only giving you three maximum lives (why can't I stockpile them?) but it still has basically the best soundtrack of any video game ever, so.

BEATEN: Roundabout - I'll have to check where this ranks on the list of games I've played involving gay rotating limo drivers in the 70s on the run from the police doing drugs and talking to skeletons, but it's somewhere near the top.

BEATEN: Ascent Savant - You can't really go wrong with your 2 bucks, IMO. It's not the same genre but it's similar in energy to Noitu Love 2, just constant explosions and rapid fire and pounding music. And it'll only take you an hour to beat (plus they've added space levels!!)

BEATEN: Pixel Puzzles Japan - I beat this within a day of grabbing it for free off the Indiegala store. I guess I love jigsaw puzzles???

BEATEN: Double Dragon Neon - Not officially beaten as of the time of this post but I'm on the final two levels so I'm rounding it into this update. This isn't AS GOOD as people claim it is, it's actually has a couple of very annoying levels, but it's still pretty fun, and like all WayForward games has a great soundtrack. Would probably be a lot better playing in co-op than solo. Nice thing is I have this both on console and PC so I guess I get to strike it off of two backlogs!!

ADDED: SMT IV

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Two posts in a row because I'm clearing out the really short games now!!

BEATEN: Blue Flamingo - More of a tech demo than a full game (only 2 stages), it's a cute concept but it feels like an adorable handcrafted set has been grafted onto a mediocre klik & play-quality shmup.

BEATEN/NULLED?: Life of Pixel - The way I see it, if I play 40+ levels of a game and dont wanna play the rest, I pretty much got full value out of that game. So I guess it counts as both nulled and beaten. I may come back someday and actually finish this but it's just so aggressively mediocre that the charm of the different eras of gaming doesn't really make it fun.

BEATEN?: Viscera Cleanup Detail: Shadow Warrior - I don't really understand if there is an end to this game. I ran around cleaning and sweeping and disposing but there was no indicator of progress, no % clean, nothing but just the guy making little jokes about the stuff he picks up. Is that all there is? I guess it's beaten then??

I am also considering nulling The Joylancer not because of its gameplay, which is actually kinda decent, but the music which is possibly the worst chiptune music I've ever heard

CURRENTLY PLAYING: Boot Hill Heroes on PC, SMTIV on 3DS

BACKLOG PROGRESS:
Steam: Beaten 294 of 566 games (51.9%) (67.9% of non-blacklisted games)
Console: Beaten 27 of 69 games (39.1%)

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 20, 2015

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Quest For Glory II posted:

BEATEN: Blue Flamingo - More of a tech demo than a full game (only 2 stages), it's a cute concept but it feels like an adorable handcrafted set has been grafted onto a mediocre klik & play-quality shmup.

Yeah I was extremely disappointed in this. Creating the art the way they did is rad as hell but everything else about the game was kinda real bad.

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

Quest For Glory II posted:

BEATEN?: Viscera Cleanup Detail: Shadow Warrior - I don't really understand if there is an end to this game. I ran around cleaning and sweeping and disposing but there was no indicator of progress, no % clean, nothing but just the guy making little jokes about the stuff he picks up. Is that all there is? I guess it's beaten then??

Pretty much. I guess you can go for 100% clean if you use your detector gadget, but the last couple of spots to clean are absurdly hard to find. You'll run into situations where the detector is going haywire in a certain spot, but there'll be no visible blood anywhere nearby, and your only bet is to blindly stab your mop at the surrounding walls a few times and hope that you manage to hit whatever tiny transparent patch of blood triggered the detector.

Beaten Burnout Paradise. Well, I got the Burnout license at least. I was trying to go for the Burnout Elite license, but some of the later races were too frustrating for my taste, and I figured that the remaining ~60 races would just be more of the same. Good fun while it lasted, though.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Not much, but at least it's something.

COMPLETE - The Blue Flamingo
Cool art, not much else.

COMPLETE - Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments
Still going through a second run to get all the trophies, but marking this as complete anyway. A very good adventure game that seems to have ironed out most of the problems with the previous Sherlock games. Excellent atmosphere, cases and gameplay. Everyone should give this a shot.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Sunless Sea is still taking most of my gaming time, but...

BEATEN: Commander Keen Complete Collection. I'd played the heck out of 1 and 4 back in the day, but now I can play the episodes you got if you registered your shareware versions! Man, I would have been so mad. The shareware levels were much more carefully designed, had more variety in gameplay, more secrets, and and more variety of gameplay than the "full" episodes. 4&5 also let you save anywhere, but kept a lives system for no sane reason whatsoever. The level design was clearly built around "well, of course the player is gonna save before every jump" too, especially in Episode 5. This is the first place I've seen where I think checkpoints would have improved the design.

COMPLETED: Costume Quest 2. Cute; silly; more of a game than CQ1 was. Got all the costumes and all the Creepy Treat Cards.

NEW GAME: Qbeh-1: The Atlas Cube. Heard good things about this, and it was on sale, so.

NEW GAME: Tetrobot & Co. Incredibly cute, occasionally fiendish. I've managed to 100% two of the worlds so far and am trying to clear out the others completely as I go. That might be overoptimistic of me.

ALSO IN PROGRESS: Grim Fandango Remastered, DROD 5, DROD RPG. Puzzle games are the new focus, I guess.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BEATEN: Boot Hill Heroes - There's a lot of love in this rpg. It doesn't feel like an RPG Maker game or anything like that. It feels like a legitimate love letter to Earthbound, but with its own unique battle system that is very fast-paced and hectic (there's no speedometer for your HP or anything like that, it's not Earthbound combat at all). The 2nd part is apparently being shown at PAX so it's not been abandoned, which is good. I'll definitely hop on to future episodes.

BEATEN: Shin Megami Tensei IV - I was surprised by how easy this SMT was. There's so many amenities, and I guess you could ignore them if you wanted to up the challenge, but you start getting so much XP from combat that you can gain 5 levels in 15 minutes. There's never a money shortage. There's never a shortage on recovery items. The only thing that feels like the old brutal SMT is that sometimes you get a bad roll of the dice in combat, which can make even a random encounter wipe your party. But even if you wipe, you respawn right where you died with a money penalty. And you get some of the best skills in the game about half-way through the game instead of near the end. You can break this game's back, Bane-style.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

BEAT - Mr Bree++
A SMB-type platformer that's set apart by nice art and an attempt at a story. Took some fiddling to make it run and I couldn't beat the final boss (literally couldn't, he didn't take any damage from the crate that was supposed to damage him). Still going to call this one beat. Nothing special, but decent enough for bundle fodder or if you're a fan of the genre.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BEATEN: Iron Fisticle - Randomly generated Smash TV, and pretty fun, ONCE YOU LEVEL UP and purchase permabuffs. Your base movement speed and fire rate are not super great. Otherwise it's pretty well done. I don't like that the levels just loop around after you beat them all but I guess that's for high score purposes.

BEATEN: Tiny & Big - Had time tonight so I banged out the rest of this one. It was actually even shorter than I was expecting, just 6 levels. I don't think it's a very good platformer, but it's a neat game mechanic I guess? The movement and jumping is all weird and clunky and the camera needs to trail behind better instead of being deadlocked, that's some constructive criticism I'm posting here for no reason because no one will see it.

BEATEN: Pushmo - It turns out I've already beaten this but for some reason I thought I hadn't. I'm deep into the bonus puzzles now.

BEATEN: Shank 2 - Had time tonight (yes, after Tiny & Big) to finish the rest of this one. Uhhh for some reason there's a level in the jungle with literal spear-throwing cannibals with bad teeth and skull masks? I don't understand why this is still a thing in TYOOL 2014 (or 2012 or whenever this was made). In Shank 3 will Shank go to the wild west and face rain-dancing tomahawk throwing native americans? This game isn't really that good anyway, the combat is fast and fluid but the levels are way too long and the enemies are not very fun to take down, and there's almost no enemy variety either. There's standard enemy, big enemy, little enemy, and enemy with gun. That's pretty much it.

I'm 5 games away from 200 Steam, PC & console games beat since the 2014 Summer Sale. So I'm hopefully going to pass that. I'd like to see if I can clear 200 Steam games by the next summer sale, which would be 35 games over the next 3 months. Who knows, maybe I can pull it off. Plenty of short games in my catalog.

ADDED: Freedom Planet

BACKLOG PROGRESS:
Steam: Beaten 297 of 567 games (52.3%) (68.4% of non-blacklisted games)
Console: Beaten 29 of 70 games (41.4%)

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
Beat- Shadowrun Returns

I hadn't played any other Shadowrunner type game before, and had a little bit of a hard time getting into this one at first--the many options in making a character were a little overwhelming, there wasn't even a token amount of voice acting, and the combat system was (at first) a bit weird. But I picked it up again this weekend and made my way through it in a couple sittings. Wasn't a very long game, but the world was interesting when I gave it a chance and the combat was fun when I got used to it (kind of like new X-COM with more of an RPG twist and some additional magic stuff thrown in). My character was an Elf Shaman with lots of points in Rifle proficiency, and that worked great. The shaman abilities were fun and offered a good amount of utility-- it was neat to be able to summon different types of spirits depending on what kind of environment I was in, and the risk of losing control kept summoning from being a no-brainer in every situation. The different character archetypes were neat, but the balance between them was questionable. I made the mistake of taking both a Decker and an Adept into the final mission (since I assumed the Decker would be useful and hadn't tried the Adept before). Adepts seemed to suck rear end, and it's only worthwhile to bring a Decker in missions that involve, well, decking. Both of them were mostly dead weight in that mission (besides their meagre SMG/pistol proficency), as unarmed combat was woefully ineffective in that stage and there wasn't anything for the Decker to hack into. I'd also like to say that the method of dealing with the bugs in the final stage was more annoying than anything else, since it forces you to kill them one-by-one each turn (provided you don't miss). The decking sequences were really neat (especially when you're managing a fight in both real space and cyberspace), but they were few and far-between (and typically handled by a one-off NPC).

Anyway it didn't blow me away or anything, but it was fun.

Picked up again - Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP

I started this a really long time ago and I kind of forgot where I was or what I was doing. I might reset my file at some point, but the "playing along with the moon cycle" gimmick might prevent me from finishing this one, since I have a hard time believing that I'd look at my calendar and say "gee, look at what day it is I better play that game"

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

dhamster posted:

Picked up again - Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP

I started this a really long time ago and I kind of forgot where I was or what I was doing. I might reset my file at some point, but the "playing along with the moon cycle" gimmick might prevent me from finishing this one, since I have a hard time believing that I'd look at my calendar and say "gee, look at what day it is I better play that game"

Be aware that there are at least two ways of telling the calendar gimmick to go gently caress itself and completing the game anyway.

As for me...

NEW GAME: Pillars of Eternity. :gonk: :neckbeard: Huge, gorgeous, and I'd be getting thoroughly lost in it if Tetrobot & Co. hadn't been consuming every last bit of my gaming time.

IN PROGRESS: Tetrobot & Co. Seriously you guys, Tetrobot & Co. I'm going to have to 100% this, including getting all the achievements, before this loosens its grip on me, I think.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

dhamster posted:

Anyway it didn't blow me away or anything, but it was fun.
The free Dragonfall DLC campaign is really worth playing. It fixes most of the complaints you had (especially about the ending), and gives more variety in a lot of little ways.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
I had the pleasure of playing a few games on Steam recently.

Finished: Assassin's Creed: Rouge
Here is my Steam review:
Finished up AC:Rouge and had a good time playing the most recent chapter on PC of Hooded Parkour Man: Collect-a-thon.
It was a bit rough going from Unity’s beautiful city and refined parkour, especially the “downward run” move, to go back to what is essentially Black Flag 1.5 set in a colder climate.

The story is young Assassin blah blah now Templar but basically the same. While the space angel thing was toned down once again (Thank You!), it was still a big thing in the end, just like Black Flag, and especially also when you were suddenly transported back to Abstergo HQ in Canada where you then lost the ability to move faster than a snails pace. Going by what Unity has shown, this will hopefully be the last time we are seeing the present day setting and thank the higher powers for that.

The main mission is considerably shorter than both Black Flag and Unity, but there are a lot of settlements and places to explore on the two maps used for sailing.

Here is a list of the elements re-used from the earlier games:
* AC3’s New York location and hunting
* Black Flag’s sailing, trading mini game and current day part/location
* Freedom Cry’s restocking warehouses and POW/Slave ship battles
* Unity’s alternate location scenes (Paris in lo-def)
* Liberation HD’s length of main story

A few good and bad points:
+ Carry and hide bodies functionality is back
+ Settlements, warehouses and what have you on the River/Sea maps are great side missions
+ Grenade launcher is a fun weapon

- Too many timer based missions
- Hunting is 99% filler as most high level animals are only available at 1 or 2 locations, and only show up one at a time. You’ll end up buying materials for most craftable items.

Nulled: Basketball Pro Management 2014
The ultimate in badly optimized spreadsheet macros disguised as a sports manager simulator.

Nulled: Beast Boxing Turbo
Fun little Punch Out clone with good and amusing writing and a tutorial that eases you into the game and its features.

Finished: The Old City: Leviathan
A very pretty walking simulator with lots of deep narration.
I wish it was an action RPG because the graphics and the setting were top notch, and a lightning bolt or a laser blast would really have lifted the experience to the next level.
At least there was a jump button...

Finished: Pixel Puzzles: Japan
This is almost the ultimate in casual gaming in that it's so relaxing that I managed to fall asleep while playing it one evening.
It's perfect for playing while listening to podcasts or just generally winding down.
I honestly never thought I would enjoy jigsaw puzzles this much :)
A save feature would have been nice though.

Finished: Stick It To The Man!
A very entertaining adventure/puzzle platformer. Great art style and writing and I took 5 hours to beat it, so it doesn't overstay its welcome.

Nulled: The Sum of All Fears
A very bad tactical FPS. Or at least that's my guess because I haven't played a lot of this type of game, but wow it just sucked. From the old graphics to non-responsive AI team mates to a gigantic lack of Morgan Freeman and Ben Affleck.

Finished: Tormentum - Dark Sorrow
If you enjoy puzzles, like the mini games in Hidden Object games, and casual point and click adventure games, this one is for you.
HR Giger/Zdzislaw Beksiński/Dark Fantasy style graphics automatically gets a Thumbs Up.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Beaten: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

This is actually a really good game. The PC release is super polished; it looks great, runs like a dream no matter how much abuse you subject it to, has all the options you'd expect from a PC native game, and supports both KBM and controller -- and the UI switches seamlessly between them depending on which one you last used.

The main game is quite short; I took about 8 hours on Normal, and I've seen numbers as low as 5. There's a lot of extra content, though; various weapons, moves, and bodies to unlock, New Game + and harder difficulties to test them on, and loads of VR challenges. And the PC version comes with all the DLC built in, which means you get two additional plot levels where you play as other characters, even more bodies and weapons, and a second set of VR challenges.

Under normal circumstances I'd spend a while longer exploring the game, unlocking all the weapons and stretching my reflexes on higher difficulties, but as much as I liked Revengeance I ditched it as soon as I finished the main storyline, because -

Now Playing: Pillars of Eternity

:neckbeard:

This dropped last week and my wife got a head start on it while I was wrapping up Revengeance. It is so good. We both basically spent all of yesterday doing nothing but playing PoE. The best way I can describe it so far is that it feels like Planescape Torment cut with a bit of Icewind Dale and a bit of Betrayal at Krondor.

Unfortunately this means it also comes with the real-time-with-pausing combat of PS:T, and I'm considering turning down the difficulty to Easy because gently caress RTWP.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

NULLED - Titan Attacks
This was a fun space invaders clone for a while, but then I hit the final set of levels. gently caress that poo poo.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family

ToxicFrog posted:

Beaten: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

This is actually a really good game. The PC release is super polished; it looks great, runs like a dream no matter how much abuse you subject it to, has all the options you'd expect from a PC native game, and supports both KBM and controller -- and the UI switches seamlessly between them depending on which one you last used.
What graphics card did you use? I had a massive amount of problems with this game on my R9 290. First, the game refused to run at anything but 24 Hz, which hosed with my resolution settings for some reason. Once I got that sorted out, I had a problem of all the UI elements flickering constantly. I couldn't make it 5 minutes into the game without getting a massive headache.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

NULLED - Titan Attacks
This was a fun space invaders clone for a while, but then I hit the final set of levels. gently caress that poo poo.

I'm not sure what they were thinking making it a bullet hell where you can only go in two directions.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

MajorMarcus posted:

What graphics card did you use? I had a massive amount of problems with this game on my R9 290. First, the game refused to run at anything but 24 Hz, which hosed with my resolution settings for some reason. Once I got that sorted out, I had a problem of all the UI elements flickering constantly. I couldn't make it 5 minutes into the game without getting a massive headache.

Radeon HD 7790, max settings at 1680x1050 on Win7.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

One huge game one small game.

BEATEN: Etrian Odyssey IV - Some thoughts on this one. I lost interest in the game MONTHS ago, but picked it back up last week and decided to switch over to Casual difficulty. As far as I know, the main difference is that I can be somwhere between 5-10 levels lower than where they recommend on Normal playthrough, and a party wipe takes you back to town. I kind of appreciated the infinite Adriane Thread just so I could make Amrita-farming more efficient. By the way, uh, why the amrita-farming. Come on EO, gimme an Etrian game where the mana potions aren't extremely rare. I know it runs the risk of making the game unbalanced, but the final boss was a pain in the rear end until I farmed Amritas, because it's a 25 turn fight and the party's MP only lasts maybe 6-7 turns per character max. The subclass that had the most impact was Landsneckt/Nightstalker, because the multi-weapon-skill ability combined with Blade Tempest did major major damage. I wonder what the 5th game will do to change things up, because to be honest I kind of prefer the conventional multi-stratum single dungeon to the four regions with dungeons scattered that EO4 had. I still have to do the post-game dungeon, that'll be fun-- or annoying.

BEATEN: Anodyne - If you've ever wanted to play a Zelda game where the temples take place in an apartment, a hotel and a circus, this is the game for you. Apparently the developer says the message of the game was about friendship?? The game's message seemed really unclear to me, but it certainly didn't seem like THAT. Seemed more like "the player character's going through some poo poo and you have to break him out of it".

ADDED: Alien Isolation, Spec Ops the Line, Fantasy Life

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Still plodding along with these:
Crusader Kings 2 Time logged: 20 hours. I finally got into a proper game of this. I daresay I know how to play it now, having completed the noob challenge of becoming the King of Eire. My guy who actually did it was a complete legend. The only child of Petty King of Mide, he found himself Petty King at the age of 1 when his father died after a long illness. He survived numerous regents who hated him, fended off a Norwegian invasion at the age of 12 and ended up with a heap of good traits, cut a swathe through some of the tougher Dukes in Eire and managed to get enough provinces to create the Kingdom, dying as King Fursu I after 61 years of wildly popular rule. My current ruler, Queen Lann, has managed to finish what her grandfather started by becoming sole ruler of Eire and even becoming Duchess of the Isles. Looking toward a fragmented Scotland now. My only reservation after 120 years is that I kind of ‘get’ the game. It’s great for work but not so much for games like this that my personality craves turning things into a low-risk process. I could easily keep a stranglehold on my Kingdom and ever so slowly eat up more counties as I get the chance without really exposing myself to too much risk. I might start a new game with a mod or two where I role play a bit; if my ruler is rash and impulsive, I’ll act like that. Or choosing a spouse based on what my character wants, not what’ll make good heirs.

Waiting on Updates:
Euro Truck Simulator 2 – Waiting for Scandinavia DLC and the inevitable ProMods update.
Sunless Sea – Waiting for Zubmariner DLC and some new stories to alleviate the inherent grindiness.
Kerbal Space Program – Waiting for 1.0 and probably a couple weeks grace for all the mods I use to work out any kinks. The classic ‘want to play-want to wait for shiny things’ dilemma of frequently updated games. If they ever make KSP2, ETS3 or XCOM2 I will continue playing my fully updated/modded old version until the new game is done. I’m already holding off on the Sims 4 until the Sims 5 is announced.
Prison Architect – Waiting for 1.0 as I tend to dip in and out of games like this and I don’t know how well the prisons carry from alpha to alpha.
XCOM: Enemy Within/Long War – Waiting for Long War b15i to alleviate some of the balance issues which come about when you have a tiny team working on a brutally hard 100+ hour game. I’m going to .ini edit down the aliens’ research speed anyway because I am not very good.

Need to get back into:
Assetto Corsa – DLC is out so either when I really want to drive fast cars or it’s on sale, I’ll be all over it.

New games:
Cities: Skylines – Time logged: 5 hours. I cracked and bought it and it’s wonderful. It’s much more challenging and involved than any modern city builder I’ve played and my town of 8,000 very nearly died on its arse last night due to a lack of incinerator capacity. I had to take out an emergency loan and hastily build three more.
More than just being a very good city builder, this is a brilliant example of what happens when you encourage mods. With a host of camera and UI tweaks and adding a few well-balanced new buildings as I go, the game is much improved from a high baseline. I’m no developer but I really can’t imagine why some devs discourage this, it seems like a win-win to me.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
BEATEN: Tales from the Borderlands: Episode 2 - While shorter than the first episode, it still delivered on the laughs and continued to expand on the plot and the universe.

BEATEN: Life is Strange: Episode 2 - I'm slowly enjoying the story, even if it's getting a little dark. I enjoyed how your powers were affected by the story. That moment towards the end where you were left feeling powerless was intense as hell. I'm still pissed that I'll be waiting 6 weeks instead of just a month for the next episode.

COMPLETED: Tron: Evolution - I was playing through Tron 2.0 when this went on sale. The free running feels very loose, like Prince of Persia, but it's way too finicky. Jumps that should be easily cleared take 2-3 tries because of the controls and camera not responding properly. The combat is fluid enough, which is a good thing with the free running key to getting health and energy back. The visuals have not aged well, especially in the cut-scenes and character models. At least the music is as close to the movie OST as possible. All in all, it was about 6.5 hours of fun, frustration and light cycles.

COMPLETED: Out There: Omega Edition -

Day 1:
"I awoke from stasis to find myself drifting near a space station, it was covered in weird glyphs and looked abandoned, yet a strange energy pulsated. It was almost as if it was trying to communicate to me. I attempted to use my computer to de-cypher it's message:

HOEP-UOY NJOY GEY-MZ LYK FTL & SUPER MOTHERLODE, WIIID LOD'ZA T-XET & ROW-GE'LYK L-EH-MNTZ. UOY WIIIL DY A'LOD. UOY WIIIL RUUUN O-TU FEW-L, SOW UOY SHOO-UD FY-ND BAE'TR ZH'IIIPZ. G-UUU-D L-UUU'KC.

"I've no idea what that means, so I set off to the nearest Dwarf Star"

Day 207:
"There is so many stars, so many new lifeforms, but none of them are Earth. I may never return, but slowly I am de-cyphering the message I received when I awoke.

Day 567(?):
"I no longer know what year it is. It's impossible to know. Just last week I had to go into cryo sleep and the ship computers told me it that 2000:376:99:22:13 years had passed by. I think my computers are broken. Maybe I'm broken. I have been out here for a long time.

Day End
"I no longer want to go to sleep.

The stasis pop means nothing. I've translated the message I received thousands of years ago. What is FTL and why would I enjoy it?

-RELAYING MESSAGE FOR LOG-
Hope you enjoy games like FTL and SUPER MOTHERLODE, with loads of text and rogue-like elements. You will die a lot. You will run out of fuel, so you should find better ships. Good Luck

gently caress it, let's see if I can find that nice beach planet again."

Currently Playing:
  • The Longest Journey - Dreamfall: Chapters: Episode 2 - I didn't enjoy Episode 1 as much as I hoped, so I here's hoping Episode 2 delivers.
  • Saints Row IV - This is the perfect game for a relaxing evening it. Run around the city, fly through the air collecting orbs, do some side missions and then knock out a main mission all in the space of 30-40 minutes.
  • X: Rebirth - I decided to give this a shot and see had there been any improvements made since when I bought it last year. So far it plays like a very poor 4X game. I'm trying to play the game with the controller, it seems to handle it very well so far, but I have a feeling that if I'm involved in any large battles that things will get too difficult to manage. The game engine was not meant to handle a first person perspective, character models look horrific, even the lighting and shadows on high are abysmal. There is a feature called Shadow Legacy - Turn it on, even if it kills your computer. it makes the game look so much better, because otherwise the game looks no better than Unreal 2, which was released in 2003! A lot of the other features, such as trading, hyperspace travel and auto-piloting are still very rough, so I'll see how far I'll go before I go onto something else.

PowerBeard fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 9, 2015

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BEATEN: Greedy Guns Beta - Billed as Metroid meets Gunstar Heroes, I would say it's closer to Rex Rocket, and needs some more time in the oven. The developers say they want to get more weapon variety in the game and I think that'll help a lot.

BEATEN: Alien Isolation - So so good but with some minor problems that irritated me. The game was a little too long for its own good, that the lack of enemy variety really starts to stick out when you're not hiding from the alien. Also the ending was some goofy Are You Afraid of the Dark poo poo.

BEATEN: Saira - Goin deep into my old games, I really didn't like NightSky by the same developer, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that Saira is a lot like Knytt Stories. Lots of exploration, taking photographs, solving puzzles on terminals. Everything I go for.

BEATEN: Kairo - Hmm... it's not a bad puzzle game, but I think I'm starting to lose interest in low budget 3D indie artsy games. I feel like they need to bring more to the table, especially if they're going to be as low budget as a game like Kairo is. Ether One, for example, isn't the prettiest game, but it has great presentation and has a nice world to explore.

DONE: Risk of Rain - As good as beaten, I suppose. After never getting past level 2 in this game, I finally had a run that took me all the way to the final level. I'll never have a run that good again. I marked it as finished on SteamCompletionist because I'm finished playing it. I think the game's tiny look really worked against it, and the progression system really sucks. The first class is terrible. It's such a sharp incline to get better and unlock more classes.

ADDED: The Talos Principle

PLAYING: Fantasy Life, whatever else I feel like.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Beaten: Pillars of Eternity

My wife and I have been playing this game non-stop since it released two weeks ago; I just finished it, and she's in the endgame. TL;DR: :tviv:

Let's get the bad out of the way first: real-time-with-pause combat was dogshit in the 90s and it's just as bad today.

Everything else? Fantastic. This is Obsidian's first completely self-directed work -- no publisher fuckery around release dates or game mechanics, no externally mandated storyline or setting they have to stick to, and no terrible engine inherited from the IP holder -- and it is also, I think, their best. (Sorry, Alpha Protocol.) My wife and I are both huge Planescape: Torment fans, and I was honestly worried that we might have unrealistically high expectations going into this, but no. It's great, and it scratches that Torment itch real good. We're now both a lot less excited for Numenara: Torment because Pillars has sated us so thoroughly. The setting lacks the complete weirdness of Sigil, but it's also much more interesting than Generic Tolkien Knockoff Fantasy Setting #67*, despite superficial similarities, and unraveling the history of the Dyrwood, my companions, and my own character's previous lives was compelling enough to keep me playing later into the night than I really should have. I enjoyed Wasteland 2, but this completely blows it out of the water.

Mechanically -- apart from the whole real-time thing -- it's clear that a lot of work has gone into balance and that Obsidian has learned a lot since the Fallout/Torment days. The difficulty level can be changed at any time (apart from special challenge modes), and while it's clearly D&D-inspired it does a lot of cleanup that makes the rules easier to understand and makes it a lot harder to trap yourself with bad character decisions. (Readers of Trad Games here will be glad to know that Muscle Wizard is a viable option and that they have fixed the problem of Paladins being Always Lawful Stupid.) My biggest complaints mechanically are that (a) walking around in scouting mode all the time in order to detect traps is tedious and (b) Druids are strictly better than Wizards because it's much easier to use Druid spells without blowing up your party by mistake.

From talking to other people, it seems like Obsidian has successfully created a game that appeals both to people like me, who are mostly in it for the plot and setting, hated Baldur's Gate, loved Planescape: Torment, and view the combat as a pacing tool and a way to relax between conversations, and to people who like Baldur's Gate and view the combat as the main draw of the game and the plot as a framework to hang the combat on. I hope they grow fat on it and are able to continue telling publishers to get hosed and making their own games -- and from the way Pillars has been selling since release, they might just be able to.

Now Playing: gently caress, I don't even know. After that I think I want something relatively small and with few words. Shantae: Risky's Revenge, maybe? Other games that stand out on the shortlist are Ratchet & Clank 3 (if I can get it running in PCSX2, since I no longer have a PS2), Sonic Generations, or one last stab at Patapon. Or maybe finally check out the Rodina demo.

* aka Forgotten Realms.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

I've been slacking off.

COMPLETED (again): Deus Ex II: Invisible War. It's still a great game, and it holds up well today.

PLAYED: Darkest Dungeon. It's an interesting game, but I'm not sure if I enjoy playing it. Still, I'm glad I crowdfunded this. I'll come back to this one after it's out of Early Access.

COMPLETED: Disciples II: Dark Prophecy. I struggled with this one for two months. It's basically the same game as Disciples I, but somehow it's far less fun to play. It honestly bothers me that I can't explain why this bored me shitless, despite my love for the first game.

PLAYED: Disciples II: Gallean's Return. They took Dark Prophecy, threw away any semblance of balanced gameplay, and called it an expansion pack. As boring as the base game, with the added "bonus" of nothing but fake difficulty top to bottom. It does have one thing going for it: its' character and story writing is far, far better than DP. That still can't save it though.

PLAYED: Pillars of Eternity. This is so good. I've played a few hours, and it looks like everything I hoped for when I backed it. I'm going to put it aside for a year or so, until the expansion is released and patched.

COMPLETED: Deus Ex III: Human Revolution: Director's Cut. It's way better than I thought it would be. The controls are a little clunky and there are a few spots of eye-wateringly bad writing, but they're very minor problems. DE: HR's real flaw is the boss characters; the Director's Cut made the actual fights better, but it couldn't change the fact the bosses are just one-dimensional bad guys, with no real characterization or personality at all. One last thing to mention: I spent most of the game hating Taggart's guts, but at the end I thought that he was the only one making any sense. I can't decide if that's good writing making me rethink my opinions, or if it's just the ending being inconsistent with the rest of the story.

Next up: I feel like playing Game Dev Tycoon again. After that I'll reinstall Dishonored and play the two DLCs starring Daud .

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

EightDeer posted:

I spent most of the game hating Taggart's guts, but at the end I thought that he was the only one making any sense. I can't decide if that's good writing making me rethink my opinions, or if it's just the ending being inconsistent with the rest of the story.

FWIW, I always found Sharif to kind of be dangerously wrong about basically everything but also one of the "nicer" characters. So I do think that the conversational confrontation system in the DX:HR deserves some real credit here. It's aiming for something different than Alpha Protocol did, though. There you were presented as if you were one of several agents in a large, reactive world, while in DX:HR you have a thing you want and you need to get it by picking the right things. The conversation flow is very well done overall, though.

I should be playing Pillars of Eternity, but I haven't really had the mental energy to deal with something of that scope lately. I needed something brainless, relaxing, or both.

BEATEN: Typing of the Dead: Overkill. Brainless. Pretends to be a poorly-written-and-acted 70s exploitation flick, apparently because everyone said the main games were so poorly done that they might as well have been? I dunno. This is quite possibly the dumbest game I have ever played, though if you want to watch zombies explode because you just successfully typed THANKS OBAMA in time after being prompted to do so, this is the game for you.

BEATEN: Qbeh-1: The Atlas Cube. Relaxing, mostly. It wasn't until world 5 that I started needing pretty good precision to actually survive the challenges, but before that it's basically a more refined Antichamber with less mindscrewing and prettier graphics. There's apparently a bonus world if you get all the secrets, but the secrets are well-hidden and the levels have a decent number of one-way doors. I'm not sure I care enough to actually unlock all that. Maybe if nothing else appeals.

BEATEN: 140. Brainless and relaxing, as long as challenge platformers make you trance out instead of freak out. It's by one of the guys that did LIMBO, but instead of being a dick to you by killing you by surprise, it's just a dick to you by being pretty touch. All the hazards show up in time to the background music, so I found it pretty easy to get into the groove. Beating it only takes like 45 minutes, though, after which you are challenged to do it again backwards and in heels mirrored and with no checkpoints. "No checkpoints" does not make for a good challenge mode. Calling this a win.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Right, in the last two weeks I’ve only played ongoing games and managed to resist buying anything new.
I played a couple more hours of Cities: Skylines, but my enthusiasm for it went out like a light one day. I do this a lot, I happily chug away on a game, spend a couple hours a night on it until a voice in my head goes ’BORED NOW NEXT GAME PLEASE’ and I have to play something else until the urge comes back.

To that end, I crumbled on waiting for more XCOM Long War tweaks and jumped right into the current version. It’s really fun and I spent about 20 hours on it but a really, really aggravating mission made XCOM the first game I’ve ever rage-uninstalled. The saves don’t get deleted when that happens so I’ll just pick up where I left off when I fancy some more punishment. When I start rage-quitting I’m clearly not in the right mindset for Long War because that mod just destroys you at times and you just have to take it in good grace.

Straight onto FTL for the first time this year and having gone through a very, very lean spell of 11 games on medium without a run to the boss. My 10 runs since starting have ended with 6 boss runs and 4 wins, including unlocking the Mantis C, which I won with on my first go despite being certain I wouldn’t last the next jump for about 6 sectors, making it 14 in 113. I’ll probably move into something else now, but what?

I’m not really feeling anything else in my library at the moment and I had £20 from Christmas spare so it came down to a choice between Assetto Corsa’s DLC and half-price Grand Theft Auto 5. I always try to wait a bit even with new releases I really want to play so drivers can be tweaked, patches come out and maybe even some essential or quality-of-life mods come out. Even so I couldn’t resist GTAV and after a 60GB download (leaving my PC on overnight feels like 2009) and a refusal to benchmark I’ve got it up and running and it looks great. MSAA doesn’t work properly on AMD cards but FXAA works so well with no blurriness or performance hit that I’d use it anyway. The game is good fun so far, though GTA Online doesn’t hit the spot for me just yet. I have to say something about my graphics card, though. It's a 7950 Boost bought for £220 over 2 years ago and it's comfortably pushing over 30FPS at 1440p on GTA5 with all the normal settings cranked up and the advanced draw distance on max. Simply the best value I've had out of a graphics card by a mile.

ACPaco
Jan 3, 2009

:420: party everyday :420:
NEW
Mercenary Kings
Monaco
Spec Ops: The Line
Besiege
Jazzpunk
Kerbal Space Program

BEAT
South Park: The Stick of Truth - The best TV/film-to-game property I've ever played. I only had two items I couldn't find to call it complete.
Saints Row: Gat out of Hell - Kind of a letdown overall, but the cutscenes and gameplay improvements made it worth the $20. I just wish they had gone for a more fully fledged game though.
Besiege - Beat the initial set of levels and eventually uninstalled. Did they ever release more? I loved the aesthetics.
Jazzpunk - That was certainly an experience.

CURRENTLY PLAYING
Kerbal Space Program - Already in my top five timesinks of all time on Steam, approaching 100 hours and I still haven't gone past the moons. I'll consider it beat when I get to the game's parallel for Mars. (Then again the game is still in beta so we'll see.)
The Forest - Incredibly competent and polished for an alpha build. To be fair there's still a lot of broken elements and work to be done, but it's still a great co-op experience. Like Minecraft for adults.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

ACPaco posted:

CURRENTLY PLAYING
Kerbal Space Program - Already in my top five timesinks of all time on Steam, approaching 100 hours and I still haven't gone past the moons. I'll consider it beat when I get to the game's parallel for Mars. (Then again the game is still in beta so we'll see.)

Just a heads-up, there's a huge, official update (bringing it to 1.0) on Monday. Stuff's going to change. I would have already been getting back into it, but I can't convince myself to do that before the update.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BEATEN: Fantasy Life - I've completed the main campaign and mastered most of the jobs. Once I've mastered all of them I'll probably take a break from the game to play other 3DS games. Too many games to play my friends! I much preferred this to Rune Factory 4, incidentally.

BEATEN: Child of Light - Picked it back up and ran through the final 5 chapters. I think it's a fairly good RPG, but the back half of the game, for whatever reason, introduces enemies that punish interruption, which seems like bad game design, because interruption is your only real advantage in combat, often being outnumbered 3 on 2. So it forces grinding to become overlevelled. I didn't like that.

BEATEN: Resident Evil Revelations - Sometimes you just need some camp and this was an excellent camp game. As good as RE4, despite basically being in the same dang location for most of the game. Not that that could be helped, it was a 3DS port after all.

NULLED/BEATEN: Lovely Planet - The game may be made for speedrunners but I'm just not down with the whole water balloon mechanic. Every other thing you have to juggle, I can deal with, but I just don't and will never have Sick 360 No Scope Counterstrike skills. I did get to World 4, so. I guess that's good enough. I mean I can't say I didn't give it a fair shake.

ADDED: Wolfenstein the New Order, Golden Sun, Advance Wars, LISA

NOW PLAYING: Trails in the Sky, whatever I feel like.

BACKLOG STATS:
Steam: 301 of 578 (52.8%)
Console/Non-Steam: 33 of 83 (39.8%)
Steam Games Beaten Since Backlog Quest Started (June 2014): 173 (29.9% of total backlog)
Total Games Beaten Since Backlog Quest Started (June 2014): 206

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
Just a small update. I haven't been playing much of anything as of late, but there have been a few significant updates.

I received my early backer update for Broken Age and finished Act 2 last night. Act 2 really reminded me that this is a Tim Schafer game, as there were several moments where Shay is channeling Guybrush Threepwood. The puzzles are a lot harder than those in Act 1. I'd probably say that only one of the puzzles is utter bullshit, but other than that, solving the difficult puzzles was pretty satisfying. I didn't play the whole thing over from the beginning, though, so I missed out on the recently added Act 1 achievements. I may go back sometime this week to at least do a quick run-through and pick up the story achievements, at least.

I'm dropping Pokémon Omega Ruby since I beat the Elite 4 once and finished the Delta Episode. I've been a somewhat casual Pokémon fan over the years, and I think that ORAS does pretty much everything right. The DexNav takes away most of the pain of hunting for a particular Pokémon, being able to fly straight from the town map is a long overdue addition, and you can FINALLY MAKE SORTING YOUR POKEMON BOXES THE FIRST ITEM ON THE PC MENU! I know I'm late to the party on this one, but it's the first Pokémon game that I've finished through the Elite 4 since HeartGold, so I'm pretty satisfied.

ACPaco
Jan 3, 2009

:420: party everyday :420:

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Just a heads-up, there's a huge, official update (bringing it to 1.0) on Monday. Stuff's going to change. I would have already been getting back into it, but I can't convince myself to do that before the update.

Yeah the new aerodynamics and atmosphere effects,, re-spec'd tech tree and new parts made me decide to start a whole new career.

I've gone from having a couple dozen satellites, a space station and moon base to barely being able to make one orbit, all over again.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
I needed a break from GTA V so I ran through some bundle fodder + a few from before starting GTA.

Nulled: AERENA - Master Edition
It's the same as the other Aerena that I already nulled? Pretty enough but looks like an even more extreme version of a Pay2Win game.

Nulled: Bad Hotel
A Tower Defense type of game. The idea was OK; you build floors on top of your hotel an each floor or box can have different properties, like cannons, healing etc. but it was just boring and frustrating after a short while.

Nulled: Battletank LOBA
One of those classic top-down tank games for up to 4 players. I never figured out how my tank could shoot in the 5 minutes I played.

Nulled: BEEP
A physics based indie platformer. Yeah....

Nulled: Bionic Dues
Four mechs are the only thing that stands between the robot army and your city's survival. Turn-based rogue-like that might be fun for fans of that genre if you got it through a $1 bundle.

Nulled: BlackSoul Extended Edition
I believe this is a survival horror game, but I'm honestly not sure, as I could never get it to go past the intro screen. Oh and the launcher will stay as an active process after quitting the game.

Nulled: Blast Em!
This was the shmup where you could get the source code as a DLC. This is clearly babbys first shooter and you can now all look at his code and laugh at how badly structured it is, and how he doesn't follow the latest code design guidelines. I'm pretty sure he still prefixes string variable names with str and long pointers with lpt. LOL look at that chump...

Completed: Blue Rose
Yes, not even did I finish this teen angst fantasy anime visual novel, I completed it! All possible endings in only 32 minutes.
"How did you do accomplish such big task in such sort time, Fart of Presto", I hear you ask.
Well, I simply enabled auto-skip on all dialog in the settings, so a game took a few minutes to run through. The only thing you had to do then, was to choose in 8-10 dialog choices and select locations 10-15 times too. Everything else whizzed past on the screen - even the sound track.
It was a fantastic experience and I can now say I've completed a Visual Novel and have witnessed all the dialog in the game too.

Nulled: Bob Came in Pieces
Another physics based puzzle platformer. At first it seemed OK, though felt a bit sluggish to fly around in your small spaceship. But when you then have to build and rebuild poo poo, just to be able to pass annoying puzzles and then have your spaceship fly around like a wing-shot pigeon, that's when I uninstalled. And the game's so old it doesn't even have cards.

Nulled: BRAINPIPE: A Plunge to Unhumanity
Fly around in an endless psychedelic colon, avoid glowing nuggets of turd and green acid spray.

Nulled: Bridge It (plus)
Another bridge constructor. It seemed OK but it's been a while since I played some of the other ones, so I can't really compare quality. It did have a decent tutorial though.

Nulled: Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut
Just like Shadows of Mordor, I really wanted to like this game! I can't really put my finger on exactly what was wrong with it, but it just didn't grab me at all.
Your own choice of stealthing or guns blazing through a level is my favourite kind of way. Graphics-wise, it was really good looking. It might have been the overall story, the way it still felt quite linear, the voice acting or something.
I gave it 7 hours and that is way more than I usually give games that don't grab me, but in the end I had to move on.

Nulled: DRAGON: A Game About a Dragon
Goon-made platformer with lots of charm. Handmade graphics, fun story and also how it's being told.
My problem is I'm bad at platformers and some of the bosses, I had no clue how to tackle or were simply not quick enough to handle. Definitely give it a try if you find platformers, dragons and weed interesting subjects.

Finished: LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean
I honestly couldn't remember the plot of any of the movies, so for me it was more LEGO Johnny Depp in a Pirate Costume. Pretty funny but also a classic LEGO game where you can only get 100% on a handful of all the levels in regular story mode. After finishing the game, you'll have to come back to each level to finish it, which I only tried to do in my very first LEGO game.
Also this game is extremely crash prone. There are some suggestions on how to fix it on the Steam forums, but I never tried any.

"Finished": Let's Explore The Airport (Junior Field Trips)
One of the Humongous Games titles from a bundle sale a while ago. It's a kids game with plenty of activities and mini games. If I had small kids I would definitely let them play these games.

Nulled: Life of Pixel
I really enjoyed this game. It's a platformer with levels from every game system from ZX81 and Atari 2600 to Sega Master System and Amiga. Here is my Steam review:
"I'm usually not that big on platformers, as I'm pretty bad at playing them, but this one hit on the right nostalgia notes that I kept going until I just had to give up, otherwise I'd break my computer in half.
Plenty of easter eggs, showing off the quirks and limitations of each system while not running it into the ground (8 levels each), pretty good chip tunes and overall a fun platformer, that even lets someone as bad as me progress pretty far, while still having plenty of levels for the better platform gamers to play."

Nulled: Lunnye Devitsy
It looked a bit like Knytt Underground but I had no idea what I was supposed to do or if up/down/left/right+jump were the only controls. It had cards though.

Finished: Mystery Case Files: Return to Ravenhearst
Wow this was an annoying Hidden Object game. I had enjoyed the other games in the MCF series but this one was an endless mess of backtracking, lovely puzzles and a really bad story - even for a HO game.

Nulled: Not without my donuts
Loved the title and the intro. The rest is just bad. It's a coop (local only) 1-screen shooter and there are plenty of those already on Steam. It will have cards later on though.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Fart of Presto posted:

This was the shmup where you could get the source code as a DLC. This is clearly babbys first shooter and you can now all look at his code and laugh at how badly structured it is, and how he doesn't follow the latest code design guidelines. I'm pretty sure he still prefixes string variable names with str and long pointers with lpt. LOL look at that chump...

You know - take notes, goons. This is how you should null a game.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Looks like today was my third year anniversary on Backloggery. Time to see how well I did,

Beaten - 11 Games:
  • Street FIghter X Tekken
  • Batman: Arkham Origins: Blackgate
  • Transistor
  • The Typing of the Dead: Overkill
  • Abyss Odessey
  • Saints Row 3 and most of the DLC
  • Legend of Korra
  • Hexcells and Hexcells Plus
  • Assassins Creed: Liberation
  • LEGO Batman 2

Completed - 19 Games:
  • Metro 2033
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
  • Jurassic Park: The Game
  • Alien Breed 1, 2 and 3
  • The Wolf Among Us
  • Sniper: Ghost Warrior
  • Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2
  • Shadowrun: Returns
  • The Walking Dead: Season 2
  • Always Sometimes Monsters
  • Stick It to the Man!
  • Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor
  • Killer is Dead
  • Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
  • The Swapper
  • Tron: Evolution
  • Out There: Omega Edition

It was a good year, but I know next year will be a real pain with my thesis work taking up all my time.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Fart of Presto posted:

Laughed way too hard at this.

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

Beat Deathtrap, by which I mean that I gave up about halfway through the second tier. At that point, I'd been playing for 17 hours, and I still had to play every level at least two times to get a 100% on the Scenario mode, not to mention the various other modes... It's not a bad game, and it can get really intense and fun at times, but the end-game seems ridiculously grindy, and I simply didn't have the patience for it. Still, I saw credits when I completed the first tier, so it's technically beaten.

Beat The Swapper, which was very nice. Solid art direction, a pretty engaging story based around the main gameplay gimmick, and a good difficulty curve with some really well-designed puzzles.

Nulled About Love, Hate, and the other ones, which I bought on impulse when I got a voucher for it, mainly because I wanted to support the guys who made Tiny & Big. Well, Tiny & Big this aint. It's a terribly generic 2D puzzle platformer, sort of similar to Tori Tori but far less engaging. You control two blobs called Love and Hate, who can move the "other ones" (other blobs, some with special powers) towards them and away from them, respectively, and you have to use those powers to reach a big red button. That's it. Aside from being generic and having a terrible title, its biggest flaw is the sound effects played when Love and Hate use their powers. Love has this low, soothing "I looove you", and Hate does this hissed "I hate you". It sounds awful the first time you hear it, and you hear it every single time you use their powers, which is a lot. Dear Tiny & Big guys, please kick your sound design guy in the nuts for me, thanks in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

You know what I nulled? Trying to input my library into backloggery.com