Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

FuzzySkinner posted:

That's what I don't get with rich people like this rear end in a top hat.

You have millions of dollars...why are you blowing it on trying to get Ted Cruz to run for president? gently caress it. Go crazy. You ain't gonna be on this planet much longer, why not spend it on creating something for yourself or others? Start a program to go to Mars. Try to cure cancer. Pay off student loans for random middle class students.

The loving possibilities are endless and would go a hell of a lot longer than seeing the bastard love child of Richard Nixon and Joseph McCarthy the ability to have a soapbox.

Ah but they are Serious People you see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

FuzzySkinner posted:

The loving possibilities are endless and would go a hell of a lot longer than seeing the bastard love child of Richard Nixon and Joseph McCarthy the ability to have a soapbox.

We're still living with the consequences of McCarthy and especially Nixon's actions. No, it wouldn't.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

FuzzySkinner posted:

You have millions of dollars...why are you blowing it on trying to get Ted Cruz to run for president? gently caress it. Go crazy. You ain't gonna be on this planet much longer, why not spend it on creating something for yourself or others? Start a program to go to Mars. Try to cure cancer. Pay off student loans for random middle class students.

Not that it's a rule, but rich people are generally humongous assholes and terrible people.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I'm almost offended that they aren't spending it on weekly Eyes Wide Shut parties or private islands where they hunt humans. They screw over so many people getting that money, and they spend it on just getting more money and at the expense of more people.

I might understand the appeal of all that if they had a Scrooge McDuck pool that they could at least look at, but its just floating around in some ethereal moneyspace.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Dr Christmas posted:

I'm almost offended that they aren't spending it on weekly Eyes Wide Shut parties or private islands where they hunt humans. They screw over so many people getting that money, and they spend it on just getting more money and at the expense of more people.

I might understand the appeal of all that if they had a Scrooge McDuck pool that they could at least look at, but its just floating around in some ethereal moneyspace.

There are people who spend all their time doing the same thing in MMOs, and you're not buying many blowjobs with that.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

At that point it's not about having more, it's about making sure others have less. That's it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

FuzzySkinner posted:

For these guys, supporting radically right wing candidates is an investment.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

VitalSigns posted:

At that point it's not about having more, it's about making sure others have less. That's it.

What would be the point of that? Who's getting off on comparing whose serfs are poorest at Bohemian Grove? At least "I'm richer than you even though we're both so rich it makes no difference" is at least a contest. Making people poor isn't an end in itself for anyone who isn't a no-joke goddamn monster.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

VideoTapir posted:

What would be the point of that? Who's getting off on comparing whose serfs are poorest at Bohemian Grove? At least "I'm richer than you even though we're both so rich it makes no difference" is at least a contest. Making people poor isn't an end in itself for anyone who isn't a no-joke goddamn monster.

I like this line of thinking. If you're willing to entertain a thought experiment, see if you can come up with a set of circumstances for which these actions WOULD make sense...

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Bel Shazar posted:

I like this line of thinking. If you're willing to entertain a thought experiment, see if you can come up with a set of circumstances for which these actions WOULD make sense...

The closest I've got is "the poorer people are the more desperate they are and the more easily you can make them do what you want." But if you can already buy all the degrading services a comfortable middle class would be reluctant to provide you, that ends up having no other result than making you more money; unless your actual goal is to inflict suffering upon the world.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

What's the financial rate of return for cutting food stamps.

If you don't think there are people downright gleeful at the thought of poor people suffering for the crime of being poor, I don't know what to tell you. Congratulations on your optimism? :unsmith:

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

VideoTapir posted:

The closest I've got is "the poorer people are the more desperate they are and the more easily you can make them do what you want." But if you can already buy all the degrading services a comfortable middle class would be reluctant to provide you, that ends up having no other result than making you more money; unless your actual goal is to inflict suffering upon the world.

I've tried running through this a few times and have only come up with:

Knowledge of an inevitable calamity, preparing for a neo-feudal existence (seems far fetched, but maybe something like the mass failure of antibiotics could do it)

Anticipating the collapse of the republic, positioning for a dynastic future of corporate oligarchies

Anticipating a new wave of manifest destiny in the colonization of space, attempting to gather as many assets as possible to capitalize on those events

But honestly I'm just scared that it's a mix of humans being lovely and institutional inertia...

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bel Shazar posted:

I've tried running through this a few times and have only come up with:

Knowledge of an inevitable calamity, preparing for a neo-feudal existence (seems far fetched, but maybe something like the mass failure of antibiotics could do it)

Anticipating the collapse of the republic, positioning for a dynastic future of corporate oligarchies

Anticipating a new wave of manifest destiny in the colonization of space, attempting to gather as many assets as possible to capitalize on those events

But honestly I'm just scared that it's a mix of humans being lovely and institutional inertia...

The real answer is that Ted Cruz gave them a (probably) metaphorical blowjob and they value their ego being stroked to the tune of several million dollars.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

VideoTapir posted:

Pretty sure they just want a return to medieval serfs.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Pretty sure they just want a return to medieval serfs.

Hell no. Then they'd actually have obligations.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

FuzzySkinner posted:

Hell, spend it on getting a candidate who shares your values elected president!

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
For the most part they aren't consciously monsters, just very sheltered. My parents live in an affluent suburb. My older brother is a cardiologist who married into old money. He'll openly state that 100k/yr is "garbage". In his world, that is poverty money. Also, since expectations grow with income, obamacare has really hurt him and his family. He found a way to make it work but they almost had to move from their gigantic house in a very fashionable neighborhood to either a smaller house or a less fashionable neighborhood. His problems are the sort of problems most people wish they could have but for him they are very real.

I imagine most super rich people are like that. It sucks if you blow a month's hobby money on a bottle of Thomas Jefferson wine that ends up being fake.

Plus, wealth can change your perception of welfare. I knew people who got on welfare after college because they were looking for the right job as opposed to a job and, well, also to extend their irresponsible partying a little bit. No shame in that, but if that is what you think the "welfare experience" is, then of course you'd want to cut it. What sort of monster would try to raise kids on fun money instead of getting a real job?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Wealth has been shown to correlate to lessened empathy, greater selfishness, and generally being an rear end in a top hat. The indications are that it is indeed causation, and getting rich straight up turns people into assholes. In conclusion, eat the rich.

CrowdControl
Aug 2, 2011

Uhh Tommy, I think I'm just gonna sleep at my house tonight...

Bel Shazar posted:

You've spent you whole life watching your parents make obscene amounts of money taking advantage of the less fortunate and now take over the family business and do the same.
You enjoy the life you've grown accustomed to and don't think of yourself as a monster so you justify it by claiming to yourself that everyone you take advantage of could do as well as you but they are just to lazy/stupid and if only they pulled themselves up by their bootstraps/were smarter they wouldn't have gotten screwed over by you.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

CrowdControl posted:

You've spent you whole life watching your parents make obscene amounts of money taking advantage of the less fortunate and now take over the family business and do the same.
You enjoy the life you've grown accustomed to and don't think of yourself as a monster so you justify it by claiming to yourself that everyone you take advantage of could do as well as you but they are just to lazy/stupid and if only they pulled themselves up by their bootstraps/were smarter they wouldn't have gotten screwed over by you.

That way of thinking would seem to lead inexorably to revolutions and firing squads.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Bel Shazar posted:

That way of thinking would seem to lead inexorably to revolutions and firing squads.

That's why you militarize the police and use them to put down any dissent that pops up

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

KomradeX posted:

That's why you militarize the police and use them to put down any dissent that pops up

That sounds like a temporary solution at best. Though the whole 'pacify the people with mass media' seems to be working well.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

KomradeX posted:

As the Tzars showed, it is a temporary solution.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Crowsbeak posted:

Bel Shazar posted:

That sounds like a temporary solution at best. Though the whole 'pacify the people with mass media' seems to be working well.

It seems to be working here in America pretty well. But it could be mostly force pacification and mass media to justify it and bring people to the ruling class side of thinking, so yeah oppressive force is a short term solution, but oppressive force that the public has been sold on seems to work pretty well

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Militarize the police, yeah, and then brainwash a quarter of the population to think you're really looking out for their interests. After that, it's easy as pie.

:smith:

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Crowsbeak posted:

Tsars were pre-public-relations. Cuba and maybe Iran are probably the best modern examples we've got.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Bel Shazar posted:

It's actually been a raging success for the last 50 years. It has convinced people that opposing the status quo in any meaningful way is unpatriotic.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

beatlegs posted:

It's actually been a raging success for the last 50 years.

Hey, give Rome some credit! Everybody talks about the fall of Rome but they still lasted longer than we have so far.

According to the Ancient Rome thread, they even had celebrity endorsements.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
The rich in the us appear to be entering an end stage, again. Hopefully things won't have to get too violent before democratic capitalism returns to a more equitable mean and capitalism gets to reinvent itself. But if the invention of Protestantism is a guide for the invention of mass medic, well, we are in for a long, rough ride.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Wayne LaPierre: "Eight Years Of One Demographically Symbolic President Is Enough."

Yikes.:dogbutton:

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Once upon a time I didn't think these people actually believed the crap spewing out of their mouths. Now I fully realize that it isn't just a money grab, they actually believe this poo poo.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Christ what an rear end in a top hat

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Thump! posted:

Militarize the police, yeah, and then brainwash a quarter of the population to think you're really looking out for their interests. After that, it's easy as pie.

:smith:

The biggest lie leftists have told themselves is that people were "brainwashed" into conservative policy instead of just being racists the whole time.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Good Citizen posted:

Christ what an rear end in a top hat

But hey, racism and sexism aren't a problem in this country anymore!:patriot:

computer parts posted:

The biggest lie leftists have told themselves is that people were "brainwashed" into conservative policy instead of just being racists the whole time.

Welllll, I think part of the problem is actually that leftists haven't realized how much of right-wing ideology is based on emotion, as opposed to logic. Trying to appeal to logic instead of emotion and shared values has been a failed strategy.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

How up-front :stare:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Majorian posted:

Welllll, I think part of the problem is actually that leftists haven't realized how much of right-wing ideology is based on emotion, as opposed to logic. Trying to appeal to logic instead of emotion and shared values has been a failed strategy.

No like literally a bunch of people think "oh they got tricked by that dastardly racist rhetoric" when in reality it's been "no blacks or no support" for a hundred years.

Massive battles were fought during WW2 to integrate factories for the war effort and even then people were being massive shitbags whenever possible.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

SedanChair posted:

How up-front :stare:

Well I imagine their lips are pretty tired blowing on that whistle for eight years might as well say what everyone knows you've been saying

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

computer parts posted:

No like literally a bunch of people think "oh they got tricked by that dastardly racist rhetoric" when in reality it's been "no blacks or no support" for a hundred years.

Massive battles were fought during WW2 to integrate factories for the war effort and even then people were being massive shitbags whenever possible.

Eh, you're probably right. lovely people are just lovely. :smith: X 1000 then.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

220 years of 43 demographically symbolic presidents is enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Like I don't even care if they don't like Obama but I wish they'd shut the gently caress up about "he only got elected because people were scared of being racists/wanted to make a statement" :qq:

He got elected twice because you ran two old rich white fucks in an era of ever-increasing distrust of old rich white fucks, you dumb motherfuckers. Wayne LaPierre is literal human garbage who exists to fearmonger to sell guns and contributes nothing else to humanity.