Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Kirk posted:

whats a good first synth. i dont own any synths because i'm nmot an insufferable clown idiot, but i am interested in getting started

get something knobby like a minibrute or a bass station ii

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Kirk posted:

whats a good first synth. i dont own any synths because i'm nmot an insufferable clown idiot, but i am interested in getting started

i guess if you wanted a toy beep boop machine that was relatively cheap you could always just get a microkorg

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

speaking as someone who bought a microkorg as a first synth, don't. there's too much menu diving and you don't get that sort of instant gratification you get with something knobbier.

kirk did you want to actually learn a kind of synthesis or just want something nice sounding to play? do you play piano already/ are you trying to learn? do you want something freestanding with less expansion options or a soft synth that you need a computer for but has basically infinite options for sounds? what's your budget? what do you want it to sound like (genre, bands, etc)?

theflyingexecutive fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 12, 2015

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Yeah microbrute or minibrute are both good gateways to becoming an insufferable clown idiot

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

theflyingexecutive posted:

and you don't get that sort of instant gratification you get with something knobbier.

i guess my cutoff is the ability to save patches tho

when its ALL knobs and no brains then you come up with something fully sick and your cat walks across it you will never get that again

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
bass station ii is all digital control so you can save patches but you get the immediacy of the knobs

downside is that when you load a patch the knobs are out of sync with the settings but w/e

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Sniep posted:

i guess my cutoff is the ability to save patches tho

when its ALL knobs and no brains then you come up with something fully sick and your cat walks across it you will never get that again

yeah I always have this delusion that I'll eventually perform, so I've never picked up anything I'd have to gently caress with for ten minutes between songs

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
to be fair i dont even have any physical synths any more

just a couple midi controllers and then everything in software

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I've also determined I need a vocalist because I 100% cannot sing, like

an elin kastlander to my joakim benon
an alice glass to my ethan kath
a megan james to my colin roddick
an inara george to my greg kurstin

and then I would like to be as good as any of those producers

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

itym corin roddick

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

Kirk posted:

as others have said. . . what do you want to do.

and as I'll ask, what's your budget?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Mr. Glass posted:

itym corin roddick

yeah autocorrect got that one

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Sniep posted:

to be fair i dont even have any physical synths any more

just a couple midi controllers and then everything in software

same

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
thinking about building a eurorack suitcase, because gently caress this looks amazing

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Tayter Swift posted:

Why do I find Berlin school so boring to listen to yet so fun to make

Whatever, dude. Berlin school rules. Smoke weed & ratchet, errday.

Tax return = just bought a cocoquantus 2 to pair up with my plumbutter 2. Probably going to grab a a tocante phasi as well. Ciat Lonbarde 4lyfe.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
minibrute seems like a dope first synth. actually gonna recommend the roland system-1 if u dont mind digital. it's also polyphonic, and the plug-outs are incredibly close to the ones they're emulating (tho they're obvs mono if the synth they're emulating is).

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Oldstench posted:

Whatever, dude. Berlin school rules. Smoke weed & ratchet, errday.

Tax return = just bought a cocoquantus 2 to pair up with my plumbutter 2. Probably going to grab a a tocante phasi as well. Ciat Lonbarde 4lyfe.

i honestly thought this was a parody post until i googled "cocoquantus"

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I'm cookoo for cocoquantas

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Tayter Swift posted:

I'm cookoo for cocoquantas

me too!

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
i just ordered some rails and a power supply to build a modular suitcase. wish me luck at staying married :ohdear:

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Mr. Glass posted:

i just ordered some rails and a power supply to build a modular suitcase. wish me luck at staying married :ohdear:

trying to travel with it will solve that first

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
gently caress. my moneys :qq:

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
http://www.npr.org/2015/04/12/398358886/first-listen-squarepusher-damogen-furies?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=music#playlist

some synth music!1

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2015/03/26/quiz-how-well-do-you-know-your-knobs/

the nerdiest quiz ever?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://soundcloud.com/echinopsis/caged

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

whats a good way to learn how synths work and as a side-effect, what any of the controls do

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

Progressive JPEG posted:

whats a good way to learn how synths work and as a side-effect, what any of the controls do

read this

http://www.angelfire.com/in2/yala/2ansynth.htm

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin
learn how subtractive synthesis works first before you try to get your head around other types [additive, FM, granular]

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Progressive JPEG posted:

The old serge manuals are a treasure trove of general synth knowledge. Check section 3 here: http://www.serge.synth.net/documents/Intro_To_SMMS_Part_1.pdf

Of course the SOS Synth Secrets series is great for beginners as well. http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/allsynthsecrets.htm

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
you start with a wave and then you gently caress that wave up until it sounds good

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWJlAtjEOcM

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

I bought my ESQ-1 from him. Good packing job.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I'm too spergy to handle the knobs not matching the patch when you load one up. don't nords have encoders with lights?

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

I'm too spergy to handle the knobs not matching the patch when you load one up. don't nords have encoders with lights?

the lead 3+ does yes. the viruses since A have a feature where the knob can take over base on the position its at, or it does nothing until you touch the point where the patch is set so you have less chance of getting violent changes

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Power Ambient posted:

a feature where the knob can take over base on the position its at, or it does nothing until you touch the point where the patch is set so you have less chance of getting violent changes

most digitally controlled analog synths (or VA synths with analog controls, like the microkorg) have an option for this

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

is there any resource that teaches you how to make generic classes of patches? I can conceptualize the parameters but can't really translate that to developing a full-fledged sound so I kinda just tweak presets atm

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Sniep posted:

you start with a wave and then you gently caress that wave up until it sounds good

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Power Ambient posted:

the lead 3+ does yes. the viruses since A have a feature where the knob can take over base on the position its at, or it does nothing until you touch the point where the patch is set so you have less chance of getting violent changes

nice

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
musique, non stop

cosby pop

• Locked thread