Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

lol the Chicken Leg parade barely has people here on my city. How big is it on São Paulo/Rio?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I'm not sure which part of this, if any, is photoshopped.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
New Datafolha research came out, apparently 63% of brazilians approve impeaching the president but 12% could name who would replace her. Only 36% of respondents could name the vice-president.

General political ignorance keeps the political status quo running smoothly :eng99:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

bagual posted:

New Datafolha research came out, apparently 63% of brazilians approve impeaching the president but 12% could name who would replace her. Only 36% of respondents could name the vice-president.

General political ignorance keeps the political status quo running smoothly :eng99:

Beyond just impeachment itself, the whole irony of this is that a big portion of the anger is at continuing austerity policies that the other parties would likely only increase and corruption that no doubt wouldn't cease either. I mean frankly to be honest, I don't see a lot of good options for Brazilians period.

Ultimately, the PT had an impossible mission to begin with and lot has improved for Brazilians but you are only going to get burnt with austerity policy even if you are financially trapped.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Meanwhile, in Chile: the Caval affair is OFF THA loving HOOK

The daughter-in-law of Bachelet revealed that the original deal was offered to her by two UDI fixers, who scored 50% of the earnings (some 350 million pesos) and she's got the cheques to prove it. :unsmigghh:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Traveller posted:

Meanwhile, in Chile: the Caval affair is OFF THA loving HOOK

The daughter-in-law of Bachelet revealed that the original deal was offered to her by two UDI fixers, who scored 50% of the earnings (some 350 million pesos) and she's got the cheques to prove it. :unsmigghh:

So basically almost all of the Chilean political spectrum is involved? Maybe the end of the pink wave will just end up with no one winning.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Ardennes posted:

So basically almost all of the Chilean political spectrum is involved? Maybe the end of the pink wave will just end up with no one winning.

It looks like a case of entrapment for me. They convince Compagnon to get in this fantastic deal, score a good deal of money, and have something to use on Bachelet if necessary - for instance, now that the public opinion wants to skin UDI due to the Penta affair.

(The strange dealings in SQM probably do involve the whole breadth of the spectrum, however.)

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Here is why we cant have nice things

EDIT:

brasil.jpg

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 12, 2015

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp
How the gently caress do you call for the impeachment of a president after just reelecting her?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

PerpetualSelf posted:

How the gently caress do you call for the impeachment of a president after just reelecting her?

The same way you ask for a military coup barely 25 years after you left a military junta government.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

PerpetualSelf posted:

Eh you don't really give a poo poo about anything else than your side wins?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
In Brazil, the military police is controlled by the governors of the states. One of the things the opposition is claiming is that PT is trying to turn Brazil into Cuba or Venezuela. So try to guess which of the pictures below came from the protest against the federal government, and which came from the protest against the Terceirizacao law (which PT opposes):

Edit:
Answer, 1st one from the Anti-federal government protests, next two from the anti-outsourcing protests. In fact, in the anti-Dilma protests taking selfies with the military police has become a "thing."

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Apr 13, 2015

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

left sign: outsourcing yes, PT no.
right sign: tax evasion is not corruption.

this has to be a false flag op.

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp

Magrov posted:

left sign: outsourcing yes, PT no.
right sign: tax evasion is not corruption.

this has to be a false flag op.

Considering how much people pay in taxes down there the right one makes sense actually. I made mad dosh illegaly smuggling consumer electronics into Brazil.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Does the police have rainbows on the back of their helmets???:cop: :gay:

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

PerpetualSelf posted:

Considering how much people pay in taxes down there the right one makes sense actually. I made mad dosh illegaly smuggling consumer electronics into Brazil.

Overall tax burden is relatively high, but it is incredibly regressive because it is mostly consumption and value added taxes. Tax evasion is really high at the top brackets, where the average tax burden is amongst the lowest in the world (amongst the g20, only Russia and Saudi Arabia have a lower tax burden for those making over 400k a year).

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

Does the police have rainbows on the back of their helmets???:cop: :gay:

Not a rainbow: red, yellow and dark blue stripes.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 12, 2015

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
this situation is NOT typical of Latin American countries and the governing committees of these states should be ashamed of themselves

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
A big source of inequality in Brazil is because of its tax system, taking import taxes outside of consideration, Brazilians still pay 30-42% in consumption taxes on pretty much all products and the income tax code maxes out around $18,000 a year. Granted, Brazil also has protectionist income taxes that don't help either (Brazil still doesn't have a world caliber electronics industry).

It is very hard on the working and lower middle class, and very generous on people at the very top. I have a feeling though that the right doesn't want to add more income tax brackets and lessen consumption taxes though.

Overall, it generally speaks of really how little changed under the PT more than what changed. Certain programs were very effective, but ultimately the structure of Brazilian society remained very vertical.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Eduardo Galeano, the Uruguayan writer that wrote excellent book The Open Veins of Latin America passed away today of cancer.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/apr/13/eduardo-galeano-open-veins-of-latin-america-writer-dies

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
That's too bad. Galeano wrote some neat stuff re: politics, history, and football.

Traveller posted:

It looks like a case of entrapment for me. They convince Compagnon to get in this fantastic deal, score a good deal of money, and have something to use on Bachelet if necessary - for instance, now that the public opinion wants to skin UDI due to the Penta affair.

(The strange dealings in SQM probably do involve the whole breadth of the spectrum, however.)

SQM+Penta+Caval is such a perfect shitstorm that I'm honestly left wondering who will seize the opportunity. Concertación and Alianza (Nueva Mayoría and "la centroderecha", whatever) had been dragging some pretty abysmal support levels for a good while, but if the momentum that these scandals have caused isn't enough to make a dent in their twofold hold on political power then I sincerely don't think I'll live to see a different party system.

And man, the opportunities are so exciting! Who will be the new rising star of chilean politics? Could be ME-O, could be Parisi, could be Farkas, could be Don Francisco... :iamafag:

Oh wait ME-O just got spotted on the SQM biz. lmao

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

SexyBlindfold posted:

SQM+Penta+Caval is such a perfect shitstorm that I'm honestly left wondering who will seize the opportunity. Concertación and Alianza (Nueva Mayoría and "la centroderecha", whatever) had been dragging some pretty abysmal support levels for a good while, but if the momentum that these scandals have caused isn't enough to make a dent in their twofold hold on political power then I sincerely don't think I'll live to see a different party system.

And man, the opportunities are so exciting! Who will be the new rising star of chilean politics? Could be ME-O, could be Parisi, could be Farkas, could be Don Francisco... :iamafag:

Oh wait ME-O just got spotted on the SQM biz. lmao

I don't know about that. There'll be a lot of "a pox upon both your houses" rhetoric but I think the right wing will bear the worst of it: public opinion will see that the Concertación people involved in all this bullshit were greedy individual fucks, but not with full support and consent of their respective parties. Meanwhile, UDI is circling the wagons and clamping down on any possible criticism within the party so what do you have to hide, momios.

Watch Lily Pérez become the Iron Lady of Chile, though :haw:

The MEO thing looked like low-effort tarring. I'd have to check my Sunday issue of La Tercera though, and my brother stole it :argh: Kind of weird that they of all people are going through all the gory details, however!

Traveller fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 13, 2015

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Traveller posted:

I don't know about that. There'll be a lot of "a pox upon both your houses" rhetoric but I think the right wing will bear the worst of it: public opinion will see that the Concertación people involved in all this bullshit were greedy individual fucks, but not with full support and consent of their respective parties. Meanwhile, UDI is circling the wagons and clamping down on any possible criticism within the party so what do you have to hide, momios.

Watch Lily Pérez become the Iron Lady of Chile, though :haw:

The MEO thing looked like low-effort tarring. I'd have to check my Sunday issue of La Tercera though, and my brother stole it :argh: Kind of weird that they of all people are going through all the gory details, however!

I don't know, the UDI is by all accounts imploding as we speak ("our collective is on the verge of political collapse? Let's put Carlos Larraín back in charge! Just the refreshing gesture the people were expecting from us!"), but it seems like the SQM affair still has juicy deals stored somewhere. There's only so many greedy individual fucks who can be indicted before the populace stops seeing any relevant distiction between Penta's shady deals with the UDI and whatever excuses the center-left will put up for their part in the tax fraud.
But it's still very possible that, instead of flocking to any alternatives (are there any alternatives?) the fallout to both sides will simply cancel each other out and have no practical effect elections-wise. If anything, we'll always have Moreira and Von Baer going down in flames.

Yeah, MEO's bit looks like small bananas compared to the rest (no bills to his name yet, but he did meet with the SQM board), but his response was frankly ridiculous. "Yes, I met with them. I MET WITH THEM TO TELL THEM WE'RE GOING TO NATIONALIZE LITHIUM"

Oh, if only Boric and Jackson could fuse together, they'd be old enough to run for president... :allears:

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Maybe you're right and we'll up with a Simpsons-esque "What, voting for a non-big block candidate?" moment. Then again, this is the country where people will leap to your defense if you murdered, tortured and diddled children, but God help you if you touched one peso that wasn't your own.

SexyBlindfold posted:

Yeah, MEO's bit looks like small bananas compared to the rest (no bills to his name yet, but he did meet with the SQM board), but his response was frankly ridiculous. "Yes, I met with them. I MET WITH THEM TO TELL THEM WE'RE GOING TO NATIONALIZE LITHIUM"

That sounds like something MEO would actually do. :colbert:

SexyBlindfold posted:

Oh, if only Boric and Jackson could fuse together, they'd be old enough to run for president... :allears:

Please let them be young forever. :allears:

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

SexyBlindfold posted:

I don't know, the UDI is by all accounts imploding as we speak ("our collective is on the verge of political collapse? Let's put Carlos Larraín back in charge! Just the refreshing gesture the people were expecting from us!"), but it seems like the SQM affair still has juicy deals stored somewhere. There's only so many greedy individual fucks who can be indicted before the populace stops seeing any relevant distiction between Penta's shady deals with the UDI and whatever excuses the center-left will put up for their part in the tax fraud.
But it's still very possible that, instead of flocking to any alternatives (are there any alternatives?) the fallout to both sides will simply cancel each other out and have no practical effect elections-wise. If anything, we'll always have Moreira and Von Baer going down in flames.

There are no alternatives. Trying to make something out of Penta was such a huge mistake when fraud in election financing is basically the norm and everyone has been involved in something.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

wateroverfire posted:

There are no alternatives. Trying to make something out of Penta was such a huge mistake when fraud in election financing is basically the norm and everyone has been involved in something.

If anything, it's sending the political establishment panicking into passing some mild restraint on campaign funding a la McCain-Feingold. It's basically the same thing as the student movement: Of course there will be no free quality education for all. Of course the parties won't suddenly get rid of their vested interests and pursue lawmaking in good faith. Of course there won't be a clean slate and the people will flock to elect Father Berríos, Benito Baranda and the ghost of Felipe Camiroaga into office. But what meager advances on education have been made in the last five years are all because of pressure from the street. And this is the first time since Frei Montalva being on the CIA's payroll that people actually care about who's funding their candidates. It's not an exercise in futility.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
In an unexpcted turn of events, PSDB joined PT on trying to change the new terceirização law before it gets approved, by taking out the clause that allows "any kind of activity" to be outsourced.

http://congressoemfoco.uol.com.br/noticias/psdb-e-pt-unem-se-para-acabar-com-terceirizacao-de-atividade-fim/

It still might not be enough, though. But it seems like the very bad repercussion of this law on most of the press and, specially, social networks, might have contribucted for this sudden change of mind.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Just read the first puff piece about Mauricio Macri, from the AP. I love how the wire services do one for the center right candidate in every Latin American election.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Badger of Basra posted:

Just read the first puff piece about Mauricio Macri, from the AP. I love how the wire services do one for the center right candidate in every Latin American election.

Eh the Cold War never ended, just one side just kept on playing against itself.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Badger of Basra posted:

They're all the same piece, too. "One millionaire discovers A STRANGE LOOPHOLE that lets you reach development and eschew populism! TRADITIONAL POLITICIANS HATE HIM!!"

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
In his case would be "One millionaire discovers A STRANGE LOOPHOLE that lets import auto parts without paying taxes! CUSTOMS AND JUDGES HATE HIM!!"

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Things in Brazil are getting bizarre. Aecio has decided that the opposition should go for the impeachment, and PT's treasurer has been arrested, and some in the opposition are calling for the banning of PT. Now, the reason why this is bizarre is not because PT is innocent. But because, once again, all the evidence against Dilma and the PT comes from the depositions of people who named Aecio and PSDB in the exact same schemes.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

joepinetree posted:

Things in Brazil are getting bizarre. Aecio has decided that the opposition should go for the impeachment, and PT's treasurer has been arrested, and some in the opposition are calling for the banning of PT. Now, the reason why this is bizarre is not because PT is innocent. But because, once again, all the evidence against Dilma and the PT comes from the depositions of people who named Aecio and PSDB in the exact same schemes.

How is it constitutional to do that? Also who in their right mind would want to ban a relatively complacent and imploding left wing party, that sounds like a great way to embolden the supporters of said opposition and also make them less supportive of gradual solutions.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Crowsbeak posted:

How is it constitutional to do that? Also who in their right mind would want to ban a relatively complacent and imploding left wing party, that sounds like a great way to embolden the supporters of said opposition and also make them less supportive of gradual solutions.

The same way that PT's people involved in the mensalao were put in jail, but the people from PSDB who had a similar scheme still have not been tried: friendly judges and a willingness to exploit every single loophole without being called on it. So, for example, the PSDB mensalao happened before the PT mensalao. The PT mensalao has been tried and people went to jail. The PSDB one hasn't. Brazil has a law that establishes that elected officials have to be tried at higher level courts. So what PSDB did was that they exhausted all appeals at these higher federal level courts, and the second they lost all of them and the trial was about to start, the involved resigned their elected positions. And so the judge decided that they could no longer be tried at the higher level courts, so it all started from scratch at the state level courts, where Aecio was governor and helped stall it. Soon the statute of limitations will run out. So you end with situations like that of Marcos Valerio. Marcos Valerio was involved in the money laundering of both the PT and PSDB schemes. He was tried and is in jail because of the PT scheme, but hasn't been tried yet on the PSDB scheme (even though the PSDB scheme preceeded the PT one).

Edit:
Not to mention the most hilariously corrupt supreme court justice in all of Latin America, Gilmar Mendes (old PSDB appointee). There was a recent court case regarding campaign finance, and the result was 6-1 in favor of more restrictions on campaign finance (supreme court votes are public). So it was essentially a done deal (there are 11 justices), and the restrictions were about to go into place. Mendes used a procedure through which a justice can ask for an extension so that he or she can consider the matter more carefully. And so the decision cannot be made official because he still pondering his vote, despite the fact that even if everyone else voted against it the majority still favored the campaign finance reform.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Apr 19, 2015

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

joepinetree posted:

The same way that PT's people involved in the mensalao were put in jail, but the people from PSDB who had a similar scheme still have not been tried: friendly judges and a willingness to exploit every single loophole without being called on it. So, for example, the PSDB mensalao happened before the PT mensalao. The PT mensalao has been tried and people went to jail. The PSDB one hasn't. Brazil has a law that establishes that elected officials have to be tried at higher level courts. So what PSDB did was that they exhausted all appeals at these higher federal level courts, and the second they lost all of them and the trial was about to start, the involved resigned their elected positions. And so the judge decided that they could no longer be tried at the higher level courts, so it all started from scratch at the state level courts, where Aecio was governor and helped stall it. Soon the statute of limitations will run out. So you end with situations like that of Marcos Valerio. Marcos Valerio was involved in the money laundering of both the PT and PSDB schemes. He was tried and is in jail because of the PT scheme, but hasn't been tried yet on the PSDB scheme (even though the PSDB scheme preceeded the PT one).

Edit:
Not to mention the most hilariously corrupt supreme court justice in all of Latin America, Gilmar Mendes (old PSDB appointee). There was a recent court case regarding campaign finance, and the result was 6-1 in favor of more restrictions on campaign finance (supreme court votes are public). So it was essentially a done deal (there are 11 justices), and the restrictions were about to go into place. Mendes used a procedure through which a justice can ask for an extension so that he or she can consider the matter more carefully. And so the decision cannot be made official because he still pondering his vote, despite the fact that even if everyone else voted against it the majority still favored the campaign finance reform.

Oh I understand evil politicking, I don't understand politicking that just invites backlash and generally bites you in the rear end, like banning another political party.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Crowsbeak posted:

Oh I understand evil politicking, I don't understand politicking that just invites backlash and generally bites you in the rear end, like banning another political party.

The goal here is less actually dismantling PT and more to keep the "PT is a criminal organization that should be terminated" narrative going.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

joepinetree posted:

The goal here is less actually dismantling PT and more to keep the "PT is a criminal organization that should be terminated" narrative going.

I guess it shows, at least in the case of Brazil, that going for a moderate social-democratic path leads to the same route as a hard-line Marxist-Leninist path. I guess it isn't enough to beat the center-left, you need to destroy them and scatter them to the winds. I wonder what will happen to Lula era programs if a hard-edged right-wing government comes to power.

My hope for Brazil is getting a bit fragile.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 19, 2015

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

joepinetree posted:

How is that going to work when there are other left wing parties for people to go to? Do you ban them as well? Well I do not doubt that there are a large number of sub humans who should be in prison camps in the Brazilian upper classes who really do think that the generals era was a wonderful time, I cannot believe that most really think that banning the entire left would actually help their long term bottom line. Hell this would probably lead to left wing governments in other parts of South America deciding that they couldn't risk being couped and decapitating their opposition.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Crowsbeak posted:

How is that going to work when there are other left wing parties for people to go to? Do you ban them as well? Well I do not doubt that there are a large number of sub humans who should be in prison camps in the Brazilian upper classes who really do think that the generals era was a wonderful time, I cannot believe that most really think that banning the entire left would actually help their long term bottom line. Hell this would probably lead to left wing governments in other parts of South America deciding that they couldn't risk being couped and decapitating their opposition.

Again, it is not about actually banning the PT. But you make the motions that it should be banned for corruption and criminal activity and you may be able to brand it as the corrupt party. And no other parties have the same presence on labor unions and social movements as PT. This is sort of like when republicans start talking about going after Obama for treason. It won't actually happen, but as long as the narrative is being pushed you put a side on the defensive. After all, Lula is still by far the most popular politician in Brazil, so they have to start dismantling him now or 2018 PT wins again.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 19, 2015

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Looks like that whole coup business in Honduras was a big mistake. Whoops!

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/apr/24/honduran-judges-throw-out-single-term-limit-on-presidency

The Guardian posted:

The supreme court in Honduras has voided a single-term limit for the country’s presidency — the issue at the heart of the political conflict that led to the ouster of socialist incumbent Manuel Zelaya six years ago when he sought to hold a referendum on rewriting the constitution.

The push by the governing National party to make the change, which would permit President Juan Orlando Hernandez to seek a second term, has drawn widespread criticism from the opposition, which notes the same politicians behind it were involved in the 2009 coup against Zelaya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

ahahahaha of course it was