Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xires
Jun 28, 2013

Something I've been wondering just because I know that there are people out there who own prebuilt PCs with SSDs installed but don't want to go through the hassle of doing a clean install of Windows if everything fucks up because their OEM might block it and would rather use recovery media/create a system image. Is it at all possible to create a single system image of both your HDD and SSD, and restore the data from each drive to their respectable locations from before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

AlphaXires posted:

Something I've been wondering just because I know that there are people out there who own prebuilt PCs with SSDs installed but don't want to go through the hassle of doing a clean install of Windows if everything fucks up because their OEM might block it and would rather use recovery media/create a system image. Is it at all possible to create a single system image of both your HDD and SSD, and restore the data from each drive to their respectable locations from before?

You can make an image of a drive of just the use space of each drive. Then you can restore the totality of either image to either drive as long as said drive is large enough to fit the image.

As far as a single image that restore itself to the appropriate drive, I doubt that is possible.

Granted, you also need space to store said images. Sadly this would require a third drive. Though good back up practices would include storing important information on a cold drive(only powered for backing up date) every month or so. Followed by checking data integrity say every two or three months for consumer purposes.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I've noticed that cats and dogs seem to like being in situations where a human would be uncomfortably hot, like lying in the sun for ages on a warm day, or sitting directly in front of the heater. What's the reason for that?

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Tiggum posted:

I've noticed that cats and dogs seem to like being in situations where a human would be uncomfortably hot, like lying in the sun for ages on a warm day, or sitting directly in front of the heater. What's the reason for that?

These are guesses but 1) they have slightly higher normal body temperatures than humans, 2) they have proportionally more surface area to lose heat from, and 3) cats are relatively recently descended from desert cats, maybe they just like the heat?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Tiggum posted:

I can't find the information I'm looking for specifically, but cats have a higher body temperature to maintain, so the point at which they no longer expend energy in order to keep warm is quite a lot warmer than that of human beings. Cats use more energy in other ways too, relative to their size, than a lot of mammals. That's why they sleep so much, and often in as hot a place as possible.

I think you may also be underestimating human beings here. Lots of people will lie in direct sunlight for hours in 30+ degree celsius heat. A lot of situations where we get 'uncomfortably' hot are generally to do with what we're doing/wearing.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Apparently the normal temperature of a cat can be as high as 103 F. For dogs, 102.5.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
If I tried to lay in the sun for hours in a bigass fur coat, I would sweat pints. My maine coon mix will lay in the sun for hours and literally be hot to the touch, but she seems to love it. Is cat. :shrug:

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Marathanes posted:

If I tried to lay in the sun for hours in a bigass fur coat, I would sweat pints. My maine coon mix will lay in the sun for hours and literally be hot to the touch, but she seems to love it. Is cat. :shrug:

Wearing a fur coat and having actual fur are two different things. Fur actually often serves to keep animals cooler in sunlight. You wearing a fur coat is just trapping your own bodyheat between a second skin.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Jeza posted:

I think you may also be underestimating human beings here. Lots of people will lie in direct sunlight for hours in 30+ degree celsius heat. A lot of situations where we get 'uncomfortably' hot are generally to do with what we're doing/wearing.
Also how fat of a gently caress you are exactly.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
When someone puts a house up for rent on Craigslist but doesn't specify if dogs are okay, can I assume that means that dogs are not okay, or is it possible/is known to happen that people simply forget to check that box?

Also, is there a renting thread? I have never really househunted myself so this is all new to me. Also apparently what we want is a precious unicorn that doesn't exist.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Golbez posted:

When someone puts a house up for rent on Craigslist but doesn't specify if dogs are okay, can I assume that means that dogs are not okay, or is it possible/is known to happen that people simply forget to check that box?

Also, is there a renting thread? I have never really househunted myself so this is all new to me. Also apparently what we want is a precious unicorn that doesn't exist.

Don't make any assumptions about the dog question. Email or call and ask.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Golbez posted:

Also, is there a renting thread?

Literally a stickied thread right below this one.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

DrBouvenstein posted:

Doh. I was looking in the business forum for some reason. Thanks. :downs:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Golbez posted:

Make no assumptions about things not mentioned in the ad, and assume half of the ad is made up of lies.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Edit:

DrBouvenstein posted:

How did I miss that too. :downs:

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
can I become a member of a native american tribe?

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

This is definitely stupid and vague, but what's that weird peppery, piney, sappy smell in just about every "natural" lotion and soap? It must be a cilantro/asparagus type thing, because it makes me sick and most everyone else thinks it's great. It's super distinct, but I can't figure out what it is.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
This is a business/unemployment question, but it's more of a curiosity since it no longer matters to our everyday life. My wife was recently let go at work. You internet detectives can probably find the e/n. Regardless, she's already happy employed again less than 2 weeks after she was let go. So all is well. We got a letter today saying that the Determination was that "The claimant (my wife) was 'not disqualified' for benefits".. which we kinda knew since she got a check from them days ago. Nice use of double negative. So why send this letter now? Was this a result of her work attempting to appeal the decision to give her unemployment or something? Or is this just standard procedure to launch an investigation?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Crankit posted:

Go back in time and tell grandpa to marry a Cherokee.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Crankit posted:

Check with your local American Indian Tribe. From here.

quote:

IV. Our Nation’s American Indian and Alaska Native Citizens

Who is an American Indian or Alaska Native?
As a general rule, an American Indian or Alaska Native person is someone who has blood degree from and is recognized as such by a federally recognized tribe or village (as an enrolled tribal member) and/or the United States. Of course, blood quantum (the degree of American Indian or Alaska Native blood from a federally recognized tribe or village that a person possesses) is not the only means by which a person is considered to be an American Indian or Alaska Native. Other factors, such as a person’s knowledge of his or her tribe’s culture, history, language, religion, familial kinships, and how strongly a person identifies himself or herself as American Indian or Alaska Native, are also important. In fact, there is no single federal or tribal criterion or standard that establishes a person's identity as American Indian or Alaska Native.

There are major differences, however, when the term “American Indian” is used in an ethnological sense versus its use in a political/legal sense. The rights, protections, and services provided by the United States to individual American Indians and Alaska Natives flow not from a person's identity as such in an ethnological sense, but because he or she is a member of a federally recognized tribe. That is, a tribe that has a government-to-government relationship and a special trust relationship with the United States. These special trust and government-to-government relationships entail certain legally enforceable obligations and responsibilities on the part of the United States to persons who are enrolled members of such tribes. Eligibility requirements for federal services will differ from program to program. Likewise, the eligibility criteria for enrollment (or membership) in a tribe will differ from tribe to tribe.

Unless you're in Canada, in which case you'd know if you could become a member because one or more of your parents would be (a) a member of a band living on a reserve and (b) a status Indian (depending on band rules, b is sufficient to receive some benefits while a depends on b depending on your definition of "tribe"). There are a few especially hosed up gender-specific rules about status women coupling with non-status men and their offspring designed to literally eliminate the status Indian population of Canada that you may also be concerned about if you're one of those people.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I'm looking to clean my oven (no self clean) and I'm wondering what works best. Google is only giving me "how to clean your oven without poisonous, earth destroying chemicals" which is baking soda and elbow grease. I don't really care what I use, and would like to eliminate the elbow grease, or the waiting if I can manage it. What works well? Some sort of degreaser? Tsp?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Jyrraeth posted:

I'm looking to clean my oven (no self clean) and I'm wondering what works best. Google is only giving me "how to clean your oven without poisonous, earth destroying chemicals" which is baking soda and elbow grease. I don't really care what I use, and would like to eliminate the elbow grease, or the waiting if I can manage it. What works well? Some sort of degreaser? Tsp?

Just go to the store and buy Easy-Off oven cleaner and follow directions. Oh, and make sure you have a pair of rubber (dish) gloves, and a fuckload of paper towels.

Have fun!

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
Also ventilation.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

regulargonzalez posted:

Just go to the store and buy Easy-Off oven cleaner and follow directions. Oh, and make sure you have a pair of rubber (dish) gloves, and a fuckload of paper towels.
Remember to open a window.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

This is getting too complicated. Just buy a new oven.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I'm trying to print a black and white and grey document but my printer is only printing the grey boxes at the bottom of it. What the hell

ok it apparently just refuses to print text and things treated as text??

muike fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 13, 2015

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Let the oven cleaner sit overnight. Over. Night. Then in the morning, just wipe it out.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Did Poker In The Rear disappear completely, get condensed into a thread in SAS somewhere, or am I just blind or something?

Been invited to a tourney in an hour, been a year since I played, need help :saddowns:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 13, 2015

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

muike posted:

I'm trying to print a black and white and grey document but my printer is only printing the grey boxes at the bottom of it. What the hell

ok it apparently just refuses to print text and things treated as text??

I'd start by reinstalling the print driver. Could be a problem with it interpreting the text when rendering the print. You'll probably get better responses in the Haus of Tech Support in SH/SC though.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
nah it's find i found a workaround for what is, at this point, clearly a dying printer

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!
Are there any sneakers I could safely wear without socks this summer?

I go through way too many socks, but I don't wanna get the swampfoot.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Raimundus posted:

Perhaps consider using foot powder instead.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Raimundus posted:

Socks protect your shoes from your feet.
Are you sweating through your socks? Try light weight socks and foot powder.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Ciaphas posted:

Did Poker In The Rear disappear completely, get condensed into a thread in SAS somewhere, or am I just blind or something?

Been invited to a tourney in an hour, been a year since I played, need help :saddowns:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3504125

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Aha, didn't even think of tradgames. Thanks!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

regulargonzalez posted:

Have fun!

Caveat: don't do this for electric ovens. It will destroy the electrical contacts in the oven that connect the element, and will generally require the element to be replaced. I have heard plenty of stories from an electrician friend of mine where he'll get called out to "my oven isn't working" and he'll ask them about cleaning it recently. Them: "Yep, I used the easy spray stuff." Him: "Yeah don't do that. That'll be $700 for a new element."

I have had luck with a dishwashing scrubbing brush, dishwashing liquid and elbow grease.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

tuyop posted:

Check with your local American Indian Tribe. From here.

Unless you're in Canada, in which case you'd know if you could become a member because one or more of your parents would be (a) a member of a band living on a reserve and (b) a status Indian (depending on band rules, b is sufficient to receive some benefits while a depends on b depending on your definition of "tribe"). There are a few especially hosed up gender-specific rules about status women coupling with non-status men and their offspring designed to literally eliminate the status Indian population of Canada that you may also be concerned about if you're one of those people.

I'm in Europe but I'd like to become an American Indian. I was thinking maybe there's like an honorary degree deal that they have, if I wrote a book about those guys or something, idk.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Crankit posted:

I'm in Europe but I'd like to become an American Indian. I was thinking maybe there's like an honorary degree deal that they have, if I wrote a book about those guys or something, idk.

I know I will regret it, but I need to ask.

Why?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Crankit posted:

Have you ever actually seen an American Aboriginal, a reservation, or anything like that? This poo poo isn't Dances With Wolves/Avatar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Crankit posted:

You could potentially be named as an honorary member of a tribe, but here's the short version - 1) You'd have to earn it and 2) you ain't gonna. You want membership in a Native American tribe for what? Novelty? Hipster cred? An official Indian name?

It would be like me saying "I want to be knighted by the Emperor of Japan". I'm not Japanese, I don't live in Japan, and I know effectively nothing about the culture or history of the country except what I've seen in pop culture. Also, pretty sure they don't even have an emperor anymore.

Here's the other sad fact, the tribes barely exist anymore, so even finding someone who could give you membership would be a mission. There is no form to fill out. This is old school. You would have to go and do a face to face with someone, probably someone fairly high ranking to have you sit with and be invited into the family. It's not goddamn Burger King where you walk in, and grab a paper crown. It would mean something.