Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Turk February posted:

HOW THE gently caress IS THIS COMFORTABLE?! HIS GUT IS BEING CRUSHED AGAINST THE TABLE!

Even though he takes up half the picture Edward still steals the shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Wizard IRL
Aug 8, 2007

-_- CS Depression? -_-
Ask your admin if BanMe® is right for you!
^o^

kimcicle posted:

I was thinking the same thing, but last night a miracle happened.

Just keep at it. I've clawed my way from Silver 1 to this point.

5 year veteran coins, nova 1 :pwn:

maybe they didnt play much. y-yea thats probably it

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Powerful Wizard IRL posted:

I bought CS:S in 2005, played it a bit, never got into it. Picked up CS:GO in 2014, had no skills whatsoever and a five year veteran coin.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

I had a 5-year veteran coin when I started discovered comp about 6 months ago, before that I'd played CS1.5, 1.6 and Source but probably like 5 5v5 matches max cause having to organise a scrim seemed like :effort:. Got placed Nova 2 and got hooked, hit my goal of DMG a couple months back and now I hover between that and MGE :D

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

but probably like 5 5v5 matches max cause having to organise a scrim seemed like :effort:.

Pfft. Easy as nothing. Back in the day it was all about joining #pcw or #clanbase on quakenet, spamming "Looking for pcw, low-mid HAVE SERVER" untill you managed to reel some poor suckers in, preferably on the lower end of that skill scale, and then you played Aztec. Good times.

On that note, a couple of months ago I noticed clanbase was dead. I am legitimately sad that all the match records and such from back then are lost in the valley of wind and ghosts- going back to read old bordering on ancient clanbase match reports was fun.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Turk February posted:

HOW THE gently caress IS THIS COMFORTABLE?! HIS GUT IS BEING CRUSHED AGAINST THE TABLE!

exercise is hard guys, you get all sweaty and muscles hurt and stuff :(

Powerful Wizard IRL
Aug 8, 2007

-_- CS Depression? -_-
^o^

Awesome Welles posted:

So many of us ranked up last night after winning like 5 in a row, it was great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_FZ5V5s9_c

Bohemian Nights posted:

Pfft. Easy as nothing. Back in the day it was all about joining #pcw or #clanbase on quakenet, spamming "Looking for pcw, low-mid HAVE SERVER" untill you managed to reel some poor suckers in, preferably on the lower end of that skill scale, and then you played Aztec. Good times.

On that note, a couple of months ago I noticed clanbase was dead. I am legitimately sad that all the match records and such from back then are lost in the valley of wind and ghosts- going back to read old bordering on ancient clanbase match reports was fun.

5V5 OURS | WEST | DE_ANY | M+

Powerful Wizard IRL fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 12, 2015

Powerful Wizard IRL
Aug 8, 2007

-_- CS Depression? -_-
^o^

buy me this av please

satsui no thankyou
Apr 23, 2011

i have 3k hours in css and im ak 1. it was 3k hours of surf

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed
I have the five year vet coin, but it's from buying cs:s, playing a couple casual matches in those stupid pubs where people said poo poo like 'bet ct all', and playing a couple hours of gungame. I also have 1.6 and played some scoutzknives :3:

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

buy me this av please

Gimme a week and it's yours

Powerful Wizard IRL
Aug 8, 2007

-_- CS Depression? -_-
^o^

Luna Was Here posted:

Gimme a week and it's yours

i was kidding dont spend money on me

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

I'll have a 5-year coin in seven months and only played a few dozen rounds of gungame. I think I played like two rounds (not games) of actual CS.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

i was kidding dont spend money on me

I was gonna caption it 'pc having at it's finest'. You can't kill my dream now

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Luna Was Here posted:

I was gonna caption it 'pc having at it's finest'. You can't kill my dream now

i'll take it instead

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Turk February posted:

i'll take it instead

Pls no

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

Give Turk Beach's steam avatar as an SA avatar to make things more confusing.

Powerful Wizard IRL
Aug 8, 2007

-_- CS Depression? -_-
^o^

Elysiume posted:

I'll have a 5-year coin in seven months and only played a few dozen rounds of gungame. I think I played like two rounds (not games) of actual CS.

Yea, I forget that like 593067840 people own a game that's existed in different forms over 15 years and not everybody plays

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I recently finished my 10th placement match and ended up with a Gold Nova 3. I haven't really played any CS since High School, but I guess it's... decent?
I mostly play with friends who are between Nova 1 and DMG, so I guess this is what influences it the most? I usually can at least hold my own to a certain degree in these matches (Even got my first Ace today :woop:).

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

Broken Cog posted:

I recently finished my 10th placement match and ended up with a Gold Nova 3. I haven't really played any CS since High School, but I guess it's... decent?
I mostly play with friends who are between Nova 1 and DMG, so I guess this is what influences it the most? I usually can at least hold my own to a certain degree in these matches (Even got my first Ace today :woop:).

Gold nova 3 is right in the middle. But
playing with friends will always influence your rank.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

anyone ever get a casual ace? I've hit 9 kills in a round a few times, but never hit the mythical 10 kill. hard to be everywhere at once.

Jamizzy99
Jul 4, 2007

I played literally only gun game (non turbo) and I'm only a gold nova 2 (climbed from silver 3)

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

John DiFool posted:

anyone ever get a casual ace? I've hit 9 kills in a round a few times, but never hit the mythical 10 kill. hard to be everywhere at once.

People play casual?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Every time I finish an overwatch case, when I click the first insufficient evidence/evident button it opens the CSGO blog for some reason. Why does overwatch suck so hard.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
If I'm not sure I'll have time for a full match then casual can be fun for a few rounds.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Casual could be fun if it was at most 8v8 and the rounds weren't needlessly long.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I can't wait till I'm finished with these 10 ranking matches so it stops putting me in eagle games where everyone is asking if I'm trolling or who is boosting me. Please gaben put me in silver where I belong, I don't deserve this torture.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

Asproigerosis posted:

I can't wait till I'm finished with these 10 ranking matches so it stops putting me in eagle games where everyone is asking if I'm trolling or who is boosting me. Please gaben put me in silver where I belong, I don't deserve this torture.

It's going to put you in MG2

Carrier
May 12, 2009

John DiFool posted:

Yup, I mostly play casual atm because im on a connection that could drop at any moment and i dont wanna be eating mm bans. I got it as ct on dust2 and had no idea i was gonna get it until the end of the round. Think i started with just a 5-7 as well lol and then picked up an awp from a t rushing through mid doors 15 seconds into the round. You see some... interesting stuff in casual.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Asproigerosis posted:

Well, stop trolling/being boosted then

Just ranked back up to Nova 4 BTW. I played this game when it came out with goons and was MG1 but stopped playing until recently and started again at Nova 3.

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-e21B3bI24-dquKP8TB3wIjuCiAYGwFGNVpOLOA0_WE/edit?usp=sharing

i am going to make another sub io movie. please only submit one clip this time, preferably 4+ kills unless they're really impressive.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Are we supposed to be demoing in there?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

Are we supposed to be demoing in there?

The server records demos http://sub.io/csgo/demos/

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

That's super cool!

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Someone tell me 400 DPI is more than enough to play perfectly fine, cause a friend is trying to convince me you need higher DPI (with lower ingame sens) for precision, like 2000dpi to play at 1024 so you can avoid "pixel skips while aiming" which sounds like :tinfoil:

Though it might make sense that you'd need higher DPI at 1080p than pros do while playing at 800x600. But even then I don't think there should be a difference.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

DPI/CPI has nothing to do with accuracy, your friend talks out of his rear end.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
I don't know poo poo about DPI and all that other jazz, but just play with what feels good to you. Sometimes it is worth trying out new settings to see if anything strikes a chord, but for the most part, as the Digital Underground would say, Do Whatcha Like.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Elman posted:

Someone tell me 400 DPI is more than enough to play perfectly fine, cause a friend is trying to convince me you need higher DPI (with lower ingame sens) for precision, like 2000dpi to play at 1024 so you can avoid "pixel skips while aiming" which sounds like :tinfoil:

Your DPI settings alone is kind of meaningless without knowing your other sensitivty settings! Assuming your windows is set to default sensitivty, (6 of 11), most Good players seem to have their DPI around 400 with an ingame sens ranging from 2-3, with some outliers on both the lower and higher end of the sensitivty scale.

Like, there's nothing wrong with playing with 2400 DPI if your ingame sens is just turned down to something like 0.50- it would be literally identical to a configuration of 400/6/3, with 13.6 inches required for a 360' turn.

Last week I finally made the switch and reduced my sens down to 400/6/3, and much to my surprise I am loving it. If someone is on the fence about turning it down, I wholly recommend it. You may lose a couple of close quarters duels to begin with, but will more than make up for it in accurate headclicking at any other range.

Probably not up to date, but should give you a general idea on the sensitivity settings that pro's play at
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12PSHqb8Vwg8rSCOkGjbbsj8iBsm8p52jOLffDc88iy8/edit#gid=0

This is also really helpful
http://www.notalent.org/sensitivity/sensitivity.htm

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Apr 13, 2015

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Problem with high DPI is that many modern mice often do scaling past certain point, so higher DPI at lower sensitivity can actually be worse, but that is specific to the sensor used in the mouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.

Ixtlilton posted:

I made Silver Elite Master a few weeks ago and I feel like I'll be stuck here for a while. It seems like there's a huge gap between here and the novas just in effective 'nade usage, positioning, and your opponents not doing stupid stuff. It doesn't help either that I can't awp to save my life. Game is hard.

Honestly at your skill level effective made usage won't really make much of a difference. Just focus on not blowing rear end when you shoot people. How long have you been playing cs? I think for the longest time I used to be really garbage at cs before I sort of got a clue then became a little less garbage. It's a difficult game to learn so don't feel bad if it takes time to get into.

• Locked thread