Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

ruddiger posted:

Well yeah. They're the Misfits. And their songs are better.

Do you think they're gonna get her? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Do you think they're gonna get her? :ohdear:

They probably want her skull.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

Context: Evil torture-happy protocol droid

Darth Vader #4

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I too played Knights of the Old Republic

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I don't think a robot would say 'doubly'. That's a pretty good beat, though.

Travis343 posted:

Yeah, I can't believe Star Wars ripped off the paragon of originality that is Knights of the Old Republic.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's almost like Star Wars is a lovely franchise that has been coasting on novelty and concept art longer than most of us have been alive

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Travis343 posted:

I played KOTOR as well and I'm enjoying CP-47-0 just fine

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's been done. 21 years ago, in fact.

(Because of course it has.)

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's been done. 21 years ago, in fact.

(Because of course it has.)

Honestly I think the biggest surprise, is that anyone is surprised anymore when it turns out a "protocol" droid is some kind of murder bot.

I loving love the electrical tape X on that link though, I don't know why but I think it's just great :allears:

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

goatface posted:

This sounds like someone describing their tabletop game.

The best Star Wars tie-ins always are. See Also: Rebels, Honda Ohnaka and the pre-Jedi comics.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Test Pattern posted:

The best Star Wars tie-ins always are. See Also: Rebels, Honda Ohnaka and the pre-Jedi comics.

Which ones do you mean?

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."
I'm thinking he's meaning the Exar Kun saga.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Those comics have some pretty cool concepts and they looked really good (they're set 40 years before KOTOR, but unlike KOTOR actually looked like they were set 4,000 years before the movies; I understand why KOTOR couldn't do that, but it's a shame nonetheless) but they're the opposite of decompressed, especially the Golden Age of the Sith / Fall of the Sith Empire comics.

Republic is my favourite Star Wars comic, and I've probably read more Star Wars comics than is healthy for me.

I was mad keen on all the Star Wars EU stuff in my teenage years; I recognise that most of it was really naff in retrospect, but the comics, generally speaking, were consistently good.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

I understand why KOTOR couldn't do that, but it's a shame nonetheless

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Still kinda pissed at how that game strangled the first actual spark of creativity and artistic integrity the franchise has seen since 1980. When Obsidian writes your game, you don't burn it down and piss on the ashes in the next game!

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Section Z posted:

Honestly I think the biggest surprise, is that anyone is surprised anymore when it turns out a "protocol" droid is some kind of murder bot.

I loving love the electrical tape X on that link though, I don't know why but I think it's just great :allears:

'O' was his slave name

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

Those comics have some pretty cool concepts and they looked really good (they're set 40 years before KOTOR, but unlike KOTOR actually looked like they were set 4,000 years before the movies; I understand why KOTOR couldn't do that, but it's a shame nonetheless) but they're the opposite of decompressed, especially the Golden Age of the Sith / Fall of the Sith Empire comics.

I think the Golden Age Sith and Jedi Tales comics came a few years before the KOTOR games, but yeah, I agree with you full-heartedly.

Have some Skippy the Light Droid (SW: Tag and Bink Are Dead miniseries)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cangelosi posted:

I think the Golden Age Sith and Jedi Tales comics came a few years before the KOTOR games, but yeah, I agree with you full-heartedly.

Aye, the TOTJ comics came out in the mid-1990s to tie into some really bad novels written by Kevin J. Anderson, which they turned out to be much better than in spite of their own shortcomings.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
My theory on tech in the Star Wars universe has been that it goes through cycles of very high tech/relatively lower tech.

Highly affluent/powerful/core worlds or eras can afford the luxury of really sleek, mass produced 'iPad' tech that can be replaced or repaired via very specialized facilities. You start getting further out and away from that, you want tech that you can repair on your own if you need to.

The design and tech aesthetic maybe endured thousands of years with the latter because it was stuff that could be more easily maintained and replicated, while better versions simply got scrapped instead of repaired and would be lost to the ages.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

All I know is once they made the sith be originally a bunch of tattooed tribal weirdoes I tapped the hell out.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Best Star Wars comics were the Marvel ones.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Is really bad art acceptable any more or are actually funny comic panels preferred?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Mr Tastee posted:

Is really bad art acceptable any more or are actually funny comic panels preferred?
We do have a thread just for really bad art (well, and for really good art, but that's less fun).

VVVVV
Like 2 pages ago, man.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Apr 12, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Darth Vader #4

Gummy Joe
Aug 16, 2007

Well, I wouldn't have Ol' Chomper here, that's for sure!

Star Wars: Tales #19

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
So many panels, but are any of them funny

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Not really, but I never thought too highly of John Hughes.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Sizone posted:

Not really, but I never thought too highly of John Hughes.

Breakfast Club is one of my favorite movies, but that was loving terrible.

Gummy Joe
Aug 16, 2007

Well, I wouldn't have Ol' Chomper here, that's for sure!
Well, I thought it was amusing. :colbert:

Deadpool v.3 #45

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I see Star Wars as something like sword-and-sorcery fantasy fiction but set in space. In fantasy stories it's common that technology doesn't progress, and society has been stuck in the Middle Ages for 10,000 years. So it is with Star Wars.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

Gummy Joe posted:

Deadpool v.3 #45

I am somewhat bemused of the idea of Hulk doing more public speaking ventures.

"Hulk sorry he is late. Traffic bad so Hulk have to smash. Priuses make best smashes and do less damage to environment. Not so much with smelly hippies inside. Good to see Scott Summers. Hulk hear he try to get Lasik. Blew up clinic. Not see so much damage since Hulk bowling with Wolverine. Logan get literal seven-ten split when he slice ball in half. He still lose to Hulk. Might say he all torn up? Oh? Too SOON?"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Baron Bifford posted:

I see Star Wars as something like sword-and-sorcery fantasy fiction but set in space. In fantasy stories it's common that technology doesn't progress, and society has been stuck in the Middle Ages for 10,000 years. So it is with Star Wars.

Personally, considering that Star Wars has entire planetary systems to set adventures in, I don't understand why they ever felt the need to tell stories set in the distant past like that. I don't give two shits about the "origins of the sith" or the old republic or whatever. Just tell a story of an ex-jedi space smuggler or some poo poo. poo poo's not hard.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Personally, considering that Star Wars has entire planetary systems to set adventures in, I don't understand why they ever felt the need to tell stories set in the distant past like that. I don't give two shits about the "origins of the sith" or the old republic or whatever. Just tell a story of an ex-jedi space smuggler or some poo poo. poo poo's not hard.

They also do that. I think. The fun thing about Star Wars is that it's such an enormous universe and franchise, they can do all those things at the same time.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Mortal Kombat X #15. All you need to know is that it takes place about 20 years after the last game and Johnny Cage and Sonya Blade are divorced.

:allears:

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Guess he's not taking her out... to dinner.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

They also do that. I think. The fun thing about Star Wars is that it's such an enormous universe and franchise, they can do all those things at the same time.

I mean, sure, it just leads to the setting seeming dumber.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Gavok posted:

Mortal Kombat X #15. All you need to know is that it takes place about 20 years after the last game and Johnny Cage and Sonya Blade are divorced.

:allears:

Ever since that video with all of Johnny Cage's intros with other characters, I have been 1000% on board again with this franchise.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Because Star Wars stories always have to be about galaxy-level events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Baron Bifford posted:

Because Star Wars stories always have to be about galaxy-level events.

They really, really don't.